Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kenny & Steve

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Hibbitt & Steve Daley were superb tonight in a pub in Upper Longdon, Staffs. Great anecdotes from Steve & then a cracking Q&A from them both, with Kenny on the mic and Steve with some more answers. Good night. They also sold beer there.

D

Dewsburywolf

So not Morgan & Jackett then

Hibbitt & Daley are great guys (helps that they're Yorkshiremen I suppose) & like most ex players from the pre Premier League days are humble as well. I can only speak for Kenny, who answered this question when we interviewed him, but he said he wasn't jealous of today's players' salaries (just the way things are nowadays) which IMHO says even more about the man

How much would these guys be worth in their prime in today's transfer market?

E

Essex Wolf

So not Morgan & Jackett then

Hibbitt & Daley are great guys (helps that they're Yorkshiremen I suppose) & like most ex players from the pre Premier League days are humble as well. I can only speak for Kenny, who answered this question when we interviewed him, but he said he wasn't jealous of today's players' salaries (just the way things are nowadays) which IMHO says even more about the man

How much would these guys be worth in their prime in today's transfer market?

Re your last comment Dews, well for two top quality midfield players like that and in todays ridiculous money world I'd hazard a guess of about £50M.

Gold Umbro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nooooo! Kenny and Steve in the Chet?! My old stomping ground. Not been in for 20 years mind.

F

FLEET WOLF

Re your last comment Dews, well for two top quality midfield players like that and in todays ridiculous money world I'd hazard a guess of about £50M.

For me Kenny Hibbitt is one of the most underrated players of all time. At the end of his career with us, when we were pretty much $$$$, he often played almost as a sweeper. He was such a good footballer and always comes over as a nice chap.

E

Essex Wolf

For me Kenny Hibbitt is one of the most underrated players of all time. At the end of his career with us, when we were pretty much $$$$, he often played almost as a sweeper. He was such a good footballer and always comes over as a nice chap.

Couldn't agree more Fleet.

He was one of the best passers of the ball I have ever seen play for Wolves, had a tremendous shot on him and could see things ahead of others around him. The man was pure class and always comes over as a real gent.

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Hibbitt also has one of the top 3 names ever for a footballer.

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Hibbitt also has one of the top 3 names ever for a footballer.

One of the others surely being Mick Wardrobe who played for Stockport County.

He suffered a funny 'turn' after one game prompting back page headline in the local paper 'Wardrobe collpases in dressing room'.

True story.

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He suffered a funny 'turn' after one game prompting back page headline in the local paper 'Wardrobe collpases in dressing room'.

True story.

That's class!

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His brother Terry would be number 2 then, who have you put as your number 1 best name ever ?

No offence to Terry but Kenny's a better name for a footballer.

In no particular order......

Kenny Hibbitt
Jairzinho
Charlie George

Honourable mention to George Best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Hibbitt MUST must be one of Wolves best ever signings. What was it ,£5,000 from Bradford Park Avenue by Ronnie Allen (I think)! He's a top bloke as well. He could pass, had a great shot, scored goals and was well thought of by everyone.

I met Steve Daley last year and he was a laugh. I thought he left for Man City at the wrong time because he was really making a name for himself at Wolves. Bill McGarry switched him from left winger to midfield and Malcolm Allison paid silly money for him. Daley said that it was all about money and the day after he signed for Man City Allison told him they had sold Peter Barnes and Steve
McKenzie who were 2 players he was looking forward to playing with. He agreed he was never the same player after he left Wolves and he played in America for a while. If he had stayed with us he could well have become an England international IMO. I did see him a couple of weeks ago in the Mander Centre and he was on crutches. Get well soon Steve!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Had he been at Manure or Chelsea/Arsenal he'd have had many many caps.

That's one of the drawbacks of playing for an unfashionable and ill placed team.

It will never change as the media have such a massive impact on who plays for England in particular.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Hibbitt MUST must be one of Wolves best ever signings. What was it ,£5,000 from Bradford Park Avenue by Ronnie Allen (I think)! He's a top bloke as well. He could pass, had a great shot, scored goals and was well thought of by everyone.

I met Steve Daley last year and he was a laugh. I thought he left for Man City at the wrong time because he was really making a name for himself at Wolves. Bill McGarry switched him from left winger to midfield and Malcolm Allison paid silly money for him. Daley said that it was all about money and the day after he signed for Man City Allison told him they had sold Peter Barnes and Steve
McKenzie who were 2 players he was looking forward to playing with. He agreed he was never the same player after he left Wolves and he played in America for a while. If he had stayed with us he could well have become an England international IMO. I did see him a couple of weeks ago in the Mander Centre and he was on crutches. Get well soon Steve!
My memory has McKenzie being signed at roughly the same time as Daley - the start of the 79/80 season. By May 1981 our Steve was away from City but McKenzie was scoring in the Cup Final.

Looking at old video of Wolves in the late 70's I thought Daley was absolute class, but would have been even more effective nowadays. Ideal position as an attacking midfielder but spent too long playing for Wolves as a winger.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No offence to Terry but Kenny's a better name for a footballer.

In no particular order......

Kenny Hibbitt
Jairzinho
Charlie George

Honourable mention to George Best.

What about Steve Death former Reading Keeper??

T

Truckawolf

How about the one and only Cec Pod who I think played for Notts County amongst others

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Danny Invincible...

Kenny Hibbitt along with Waggy, Bailey and Doog plus Parkin will always be all time legends as far as I am concerned. Gray for Daley was a good swap in the short term for the club but of course it would have been nice to have kept him as I am sure he would have continued to thrive at Molineux.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

True story.

He was top drawer. Bit of a goal hanger.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very astute buy was KH. He came in November 1968 just as Ronnie Allen was going in the same month.

Other astute Allen signings from memory;

Parkin, Munro, Dougan, Bailey. He also gave a debut to McAlle who had joined in 1965 as a 'trainee'.

With Daley and Richards with the 'nursery' in Yorkshire and who joined in 69, I think Allen would have had as much success as McGarry as the 'spine' of the early seventies side was signed by Allen if you look at those signings. Knowles and Wagstaffe were already here when Allen joined so very debateable he should have been sacked.

Back
Top Bottom