Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kenny Hibbitt (also alive and well)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Hibbitt is 72 today. Kenny played 574 games for Wolves, the second most appearances behind Derek Parkin. Kenny also scored 114 goals for Wolves, putting him tenth in our all time list of goal scorers.

I remember seeing Kenny score 4 goals in one game against Newcastle United, though his most famous goal was the opener against Manchester City in the 1974 league cup final.

I can’t remember whether it was Ronnie Allen or Bill McGarry who signed Kenny from Bradford Park Avenue, but what a great signing he was. He was another Wolves player who won u23 caps, but was never selected for the full England team.

Happy birthday Kenny. Have a great day.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Hibbitt is 72 today. Kenny played 574 games for Wolves, the second most appearances behind Derek Parkin. Kenny also scored 114 goals for Wolves, putting him tenth in our all time list of goal scorers.

I remember seeing Kenny score 4 goals in one game against Newcastle United, though his most famous goal was the opener against Manchester City in the 1974 league cup final.

I can’t remember whether it was Ronnie Allen or Bill McGarry who signed Kenny from Bradford Park Avenue, but what a great signing he was. He was another Wolves player who won u23 caps, but was never selected for the full England team.

If I remember correctly Kenny was signed just at the time Ronnie Allen was sacked, it was an initial fee of£5,000 with add one of £2,500
What a bargain what a player
I just hope some of the youngsters on here are able to post comments like this in 50 odd years time about our new signings

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A player who gave everything on the pitch a man who had it all, skill and determination. A player you could depend on, Happy birthday Kenny. May you have many more in front of you.

WolfPaul

Reaction score
One of my memories of Kenny Hibbitt was him smashing the ball home from close range in the 7-1 demolition of Chelsea in 1975. I was standing right behind the North Bank goal as a 12 year old and could see the grin on his face before he even kicked the ball - he knew he was about to score! Happy birthday Kenny.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
happy birthday to another genuine legend and another one of my all time favourite players.i wonder how much he would be worth in todays skewed transfer market where bang average players go for tens of millions of pounds(do me a cheesy)most would`nt be fit to lace Kenny`s boots

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my all-time favourite players. Two moments stick in my mind. The 1974 LC goal and a free kick at Bolton which he lifted over the wall for Willie Carr to score the winner. A remarkable player!

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
One of my all-time favourite players. Two moments stick in my mind. The 1974 LC goal and a free kick at Bolton which he lifted over the wall for Willie Carr to score the winner. A remarkable player!
It was a an unusual goal at Bolton, but it was the other way around. Willie Carr lifted the ball over the wall for Ken to score. I was behind the goal, and we all went nuts. Stopping Bolton going up was probably the start of the grudge between the two sets of fans. They paid us back big time, when we lost in the playoff game there.
Ken was a magnificent player, he had everything, vision, strength and of course goals. If only we bought players with goal scoring abilities now!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a an unusual goal at Bolton, but it was the other way around. Willie Carr lifted the ball over the wall for Ken to score. I was behind the goal, and we all went nuts. Stopping Bolton going up was probably the start of the grudge between the two sets of fans. They paid us back big time, when we lost in the playoff game there.
Ken was a magnificent player, he had everything, vision, strength and of course goals. If only we bought players with goal scoring abilities now!
Wasn't overly sure when I wrote it. Thanks for the clarification. I was also behind the goal and remember a lot of trouble outside the ground after the game. Also went up to Blackpool for the weekend afterwards, so maybe it was the vast amount of alcohol consumed that clouded my memory. ;)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a sign of how popular Kenny Hibbitt was at Wolves came when Bristol Rovers visited Molineux the season we won the third division. I think Kenny was assistant manager at Rovers and he got a fantastic reception from the Wolves fans. In those days the players tunnel was close to the north bank and from the time Kenny left the tunnel until he reached the dugout the fans were applauding him.

Legend is an overused word, but in Kenny’s case it is the right and fitting word.

Wolvescol

Groupie
Reaction score
Happy birthday king kenny , right at the time of my falling in love with football, I was at Bolton that day we sent forest up with us , I was 12 and it was my first away match , my non football liking dad took me and constantly moaned because the exhaust had come off his Morris Oxford on the way ,, what a day

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Thank you Frank for these updates on our past legends, was brother to Terry who played for Newcastle, sadly passed now,
Happy Birthday Kenny, thanks for so many memories from the past.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
To get a measure of what a humble and loyal man he was besides being a great and talented footballer.

You will need to click the link to YouTube to watch it

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
Kenny is rarely out of the top 3 Wolves players of all time when voted for by fans who were lucky enough to watch him and have followed Wolves since. Ruben of the 70s. Never gave anything but his best and I think he could have walked in to most teams around that time. Happy Birthday Kenny.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a player Kenny was and what a gentleman he still is. One thing you can always say about Kenny was that when he came off the pitch at the end you knew he'd been in a game.
D_D6j36WwAIMxdk.jpg

Here he is with his late brother Terry in 1978.

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What a player Kenny was and what a gentleman he still is. One thing you can always say about Kenny was that when he came off the pitch at the end you knew he'd been in a game.
D_D6j36WwAIMxdk.jpg

Here he is with his late brother Terry in 1978.

One of my mates Stateside was/is a huge Newcastle supporter, grew up with Terry, and has many very entertaining tales to tell.

Happy Birthday King Kenny - my favorite Wolves' player whilst growing up, and still well up in my all-time faves rankings!!

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
was a an unusual goal at Bolton, but it was the other way around. Willie Carr lifted the ball over the wall for Ken to score. I was behind the goal, and we all went nuts. Stopping Bolton going up was probably the start of the grudge between the two sets of fans. They paid us back big time, when we lost in the playoff game there.
One of my favourite games ever, not to mention Blackpool after. :)

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
I did the stadium tour a few months back. Heard Kenny was doing it and so booked half a day and travelled up. Was a bit early to arrive but when I walked in he was already in the foyer so had the pleasure of chatting to him before others arrived. He must have heard all the questions before but he’s such a lovely bloke and was happy to talk.

They say never meet your heroes but in the case of Kenny this certainly isn’t true. Signed the old replica shirt I took along as well!

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw a lot of Kenny's games, 1969-1982.

Highly consistent player, intelligent, great ball retention, good passer long and short, great shot.

Up against some very good midfielders in terms of an England place, notably Colin Bell, Alan Ball,
Martin Peters, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, so failed to win the caps he may well have done in another era.

Wolves hit the lode seam in the late 60s and early 70s, with Hibbitt, John Richards, Steve Daley, John McCalle,
Geoff Palmer, Alan Sunderland, Gary Pierce all emerging from the youth team or minor transfers. We have never really
come close to that success rate since, which may explain something of the club's struggle to re-establish itself as part of
the elite.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like most on this thread, my favourite player and as good as some of the latest players perform, they will never give what he gave, unfortunately they are just passing through. Like a groupie I linked with Kenny on Linkedin and recently received a congratulation message from him on a work anniversary, like receiving a telegram from the Queen. The best bloke/player in so many ways.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A terrific servant for Wolves. Also the player that got my son hooked on Wolves on his first visit to Molineux at the age of 5. I forget who it was against now but Kenny scored a real screamer and Wolves won. Happy days.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before Neves Kenny Hibbitt was the player i had at the top of my list of greats in my time supporting wolves. his thunderous shot and all round play were brilliant. mainstay of the greatest side since the 50s.

Even with Neves ( Nunes, Mouts etc etc) Kenny is still top of the list..... Ruben and his mates still have a way to go to top him.

Happy birthday King Kenny.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a sign of how popular Kenny Hibbitt was at Wolves came when Bristol Rovers visited Molineux the season we won the third division. I think Kenny was assistant manager at Rovers and he got a fantastic reception from the Wolves fans. In those days the players tunnel was close to the north bank and from the time Kenny left the tunnel until he reached the dugout the fans were applauding him.

Legend is an overused word, but in Kenny’s case it is the right and fitting word.

I believe Ian Holloway ( the Rovers manager at the time) has referred to that crowd reception for Kenny as one of the most emotional occasions he's seen.

Also I once read that during our dark days and fall into near oblivion Kenny Hibbitt offered to come back and play for nothing to help Wolves survive!

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Top man. Loved Kenny as a kid

Happy birthday Kenny !

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe Ian Holloway ( the Rovers manager at the time) has referred to that crowd reception for Kenny as one of the most emotional occasions he's seen.

Also I once read that during our dark days and fall into near oblivion Kenny Hibbitt offered to come back and play for nothing to help Wolves survive!

The reception Kenny Hibbitt received that day was amazing. I don’t think he could believe it!

I didn’t know that he offered to help out during the dark days, but I am not surprised.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Gerry Francis was managing Rovers that day.

Back
Top Bottom