Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Just bring Nuno back!!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Perhaps so, but given the situation GON inherited, I personally am inclined to write this season off as it seems highly unlikely we’ll be relegated - then reevaluate as we approach the summer. We may find that HON has demonstrated he is capable by that point. If not, then Fosun have decisions to make.

However, a third of the way into a season where the aim was to avoid relegation - which is currently being achieved - needs some patience and holding your nerve a bit imo.
Agree, I’m all for having an open and honest discussion about O’Neil at the end of the season. But right now he is achieving what has been asked of him.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps so, but given the situation GON inherited, I personally am inclined to write this season off as it seems highly unlikely we’ll be relegated - then reevaluate as we approach the summer. We may find that HON has demonstrated he is capable by that point. If not, then Fosun have decisions to make.

However, a third of the way into a season where the aim was to avoid relegation - which is currently being achieved - needs some patience and holding your nerve a bit imo.

Hold your nerve from what??? Even with GON we aren’t going down, the newly promoted teams are so crap everton will stay with a ten point deduction!!!!

Lowest survival total ever projected.

I don’t rate Gon at all, but even I don’t think he is so incompetent he takes us down with those three teams in the league.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And GON has more games conceeding 3 or more in a fraction of the games than JL…..

Nuno gave us; a championship winners trophy, 2 x 7th place finishes, a cup semi final, Europa league quarter final. And other amazing memories!!! One year of not losing in London.

GON is absolutely gash!!!!

It is so poor, people are putting Nuno a club great and legend down to try and defend this absolute clown we have in charge!!!

What a tragic and sad state of affairs!!!

Different games, different players and different circumstances.

I don’t see what is to gained by making a comparison between managers in that context.
Same players, games and circumstances maybe a case could be made, but either way it does nothing to contribute to the situation that we have.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, I’m all for having an open and honest discussion about O’Neil at the end of the season. But right now he is achieving what has been asked of him.

In the projected easiest season ever to do so!!

Hardly an achievement Jade! If he stays we will sign players he wants to suit him, that won’t suit an attack minded manager in any way.

Shows how far fosun have gaslit and eroded the belief of the fan base through press releases and jeffs letter this season into accepting survival as the main measure of success with the quality of the newly promoted sides

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno doesn’t know most of these players. …….think about that for a moment.

If he came it’d be like Gary had to come in at the last minute and trying to get to where Gary is now.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
According to Transfermarkt our net transfer balance each year since promotion looks like this:-

23/24 - GON - +£75m
22/23 - Lage / Lop - -€114m
21/22 - Lage - -€5m
20/21 - Nuno - -€8m
19/20 - Nuno - -€92m
18/19 - Nuno - -€89m

This year is the first time we have made a substantial net profit on sales vs purchases. Two out of 5 times, we have essentially broken even and 3/5 we have spent substantially more than we brought in.

We may as well stick with Gary until Fosun decide to invest again. I think we will probably look to break even in 24/25 too so we may as well stick with him.

The next time they decide to do a €100mill net spend - probably 25/26 - they should use the promise of investment to lure someone of Emery-esque pedigree and give it to them to shape a proper squad.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If he came it’d be like Gary had to come in at the last minute and trying to get to where Gary is now.

Nuno is a far better manager and dare I say it far more charismatic and he would be fine.

He would also have his far more experienced, capable and proven at wolves back room team.

Could you imagine Nuno on day one, saying he can’t wait to be part of the pack again. Asking who wants to create the next magic memories and nights for the club?

I see goosebumps! And he would definitely get far more of a song out of this team.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well yeah, other than Nuno knows the club and area, has a connection with the fans, has done a great job here in the past, has managed nearly 500 games in four different countries and won the double at his most recent club

It would be nothing like when O'Neil came in

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see how Nuno would want to work with the snake that is Shi and the current squad we have now that is far too short on both quality and leadership.

Pie in the Sky thinking.

fleck1

Reaction score
I wish we'd let it go, them two or three years were a moment in time where everything came together and clicked. But by the end it was dire and painful to watch, we all love Nuno and the memories of them European nights but I hope as much for him as anything else he doesn't come back and ruin that legacy.
It's never the same second time around

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish we'd let it go, them two or three years were a moment in time where everything came together and clicked. But by the end it was dire and painful to watch, we all love Nuno and the memories of them European nights but I hope as much for him as anything else he doesn't come back and ruin that legacy.
It's never the same second time around

There won’t be covid……

We all know what covid did to wolves, but sadly Nuno as person!

Nuno has an aura and magic at wolves, that I think he can replicate as the fans will be 100% behind him and with his charisma the lads will be running through brick walls in no time!!!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There won’t be covid……

Nuno has an aura and magic at wolves, that I think he can replicate as the fans will be 100% behind him and with his charisma the lads will be running through brick walls in no time!!!
The lads weren’t running through brick walls for him at the end of his tenure.

fleck1

Reaction score
There won’t be covid……

Every single club in the league had to deal with covid, managers of other clubs and players couldn't go home and visit family, they all had to play behind closed doors. Covid was an issue for everyone not just Nuno and Wolves.
By the end of his tenure the whole place had gone flat, the football was painful and nobody was running through brick walls.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
We can't afford him, both in terms of his wages or what we're prepared to spend on recruitment.A complete non starter.

No way Nuno would join modern day Wolves.

Unfortunately the Wolves of 5 years ago and current day are two completely different football clubs.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We can't afford him, both in terms of his wages or what we're prepared to spend on recruitment.A complete non starter.

Unfortunately the Wolves of 5 years ago and current day are two completely different football clubs.
This.......also I think Nuno's relationship with Shi/Fosun is broken.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
According to Transfermarkt our net transfer balance each year since promotion looks like this:-

23/24 - GON - +£75m
22/23 - Lage / Lop - -€114m
21/22 - Lage - -€5m
20/21 - Nuno - -€8m
19/20 - Nuno - -€92m
18/19 - Nuno - -€89m

This year is the first time we have made a substantial net profit on sales vs purchases. Two out of 5 times, we have essentially broken even and 3/5 we have spent substantially more than we brought in.

We may as well stick with Gary until Fosun decide to invest again. I think we will probably look to break even in 24/25 too so we may as well stick with him.

The next time they decide to do a €100mill net spend - probably 25/26 - they should use the promise of investment to lure someone of Emery-esque pedigree and give it to them to shape a proper squad.
And that's not even accounting for the fact that 22/23 doesn't account for €60m on Cunha and Boubacar that is counted in the 23/24 +€75m! So really it's
22/23 -€174m
23/24 +€135m

We need to be judging O'Neil not on what he achieved, but on whether he gets the best out of what Fosun left him to work with.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If we can't afford him, who can in the premier league that is a better bet?
I don't see any of the top six going for him. Or Brighton. Emery has the villa job for as long as he wants it. Newcastle might become available but i think they would aim higher than Nuno.
So if he wants to manage again in the premier league it's probably going to be us, or Palace or Fulham or Forest. I'm not sure what they have to offer is much better.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lads weren’t running through brick walls for him at the end of his tenure.

We all know Nuno was suffering and had been affected by covid and separated from his family.

He didn’t finish covid the same Nuno that went into it.

He needed a break, he shouldn’t have taken the spurs job as quickly as he did either.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every single club in the league had to deal with covid, managers of other clubs and players couldn't go home and visit family, they all had to play behind closed doors. Covid was an issue for everyone not just Nuno and Wolves.
By the end of his tenure the whole place had gone flat, the football was painful and nobody was running through brick walls.
Think your giving a disservice to fans of clubs that were flying at the time and players who were probably giving that extra 10/15% because they loved the atmosphere and thrived on it all so much , if covid hit now I’d put money on it bursting villas bubble because they have built up a momentum and confidence as a club and their fans are buzzing !!! Bet it feels like you’re walking on air and nothing can go wrong !! Some clubs benefitted from it like villa and West Ham at the time who’s fans were toxic , Liverpool struggled losing 6 home games on the bounce 1-0 , there were more away wins , it definately had an impact , we made away games feel like home ones with our fans all as one , if it happened now it wouldn’t impact us at all because like 90% of clubs the atmosphere is flat and sterile and we expect very little but it would still impact 5% of clubs in a negative way and 5% in a positive ….

DJLWolf

Reaction score
If we can't afford him, who can in the premier league that is a better bet?
I don't see any of the top six going for him. Or Brighton. Emery has the villa job for as long as he wants it. Newcastle might become available but i think they would aim higher than Nuno.
So if he wants to manage again in the premier league it's probably going to be us, or Palace or Fulham or Forest. I'm not sure what they have to offer is much better.

Is it a given that he would want to come back to the Premier league?It is a big world out there and he's gone to Saudi so is clearly happy to contemplate any league if the money is there.

Things change quickly in the Premier league both in terms of existing Premier league teams and championship teams coming up with ambition (like we did).Owners decide to go through periods of wanting to spend more, spend less or change style of manager etc alarmingly quickly so just because there isn't a current obvious fit, doesn't mean there won't be soon.

In terms of existing teams, I think West Ham, Forest and Fulham would probably be appealing for him in terms of being able to match his financial demands and spending.I agree that right now there aren't many obvious matches.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well yeah, other than Nuno knows the club and area, has a connection with the fans, has done a great job here in the past, has managed nearly 500 games in four different countries and won the double at his most recent club

It would be nothing like when O'Neil came in
I meant that Gary didnt know the players and if he came, Nuno would know most of them either.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Loved Nuno while he was here, but understood what affected him and why he became depressed & negative. But life and managers and players move on. Get over it. I never boo returning players - even those who forced a departure. We all do what we think is best for ourselves at the time - including Gibbs-White, Bolt, Coady... If Nuno ends up at Forest, good luck to him ... as long as they don't finish above us!

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
Doubt many of us on here know for certain what it was that affected Nuno has it did. Covid, player recruitment or other reasons. One thing I do know for sure though is that Nuno was very special. The football that saw us promoted was the best I have personally witnessed in my 50 plus years watching Wolves. I would love to see him back here one day and a little part of me wonders if he feels the same. I realise people say move on, get over it but it's just the way I feel personally.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be interesting to see how it pans out for him at Forest. Always had a soft spot for Forest since the Clough era and I love Nuno so hope he does well. Big fly in the ointment could be the mental ownership there.

One thing for sure, he certainly can’t complain about a small squad!

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just realised that my intense dislike of Forest in recent times was based mainly on Cooper. With Johnson gone as well I certainly wouldn't feel so bad about them doing ok with Nuno in charge as the man has lots of credit in the bank with me.
Be interesting to see how things go with MGW, because Nuno certainly didn't seem to rate him for the last couple of seasons he was at Molineux.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be interesting to see how it pans out for him at Forest. Always had a soft spot for Forest since the Clough era and I love Nuno so hope he does well. Big fly in the ointment could be the mental ownership there.

One thing for sure, he certainly can’t complain about a small squad!
Love that last para!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Good luck Nuno
He's going to need it judging by the reaction on their forum. It's two fold.
1. They didn't want Cooper to be sacked and are wallowing in the examples of all the good times he was there (bit like we were when Nuno left).
2. They don't want Nuno as a replacement because they don't think he's good enough (maybe they don't like seventh place finishes and Europa Quarter Finals). There's talk if rather than welcoming Nuno on Saturday to focus on protesting the decision to sack Cooper.

Anyway.. good luck Nuno...
Screenshot_20231219-160901.png

Back
Top Bottom