Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Just bring Nuno back!!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Things were unraveling well before Nuno left. He’s a football coach, not a magician.

The idea that things fell apart when he left is nonsense.

Had 2 years of a small but very talented squad, that avoided injuries and was good at sitting in shape and counter attacking.

If he came back tomorrow we’d still have all the same problems we have today.

Personally think he left at the right time, protects his legacy. Any idea that he’d come back and get this squad challenging for Europe is romantic rubbish.
Agree with all of the above.
I think the timing of Nuno leaving was right for both him and the club. It was the bizarre choice of Lage when candidates like Eddie Howe were available at the time that’s largely resulted in our struggles at the wrong end of the table. It’s way too early to judge GON’s ability as our manager but again this feels a strange appointment when both Potter and Hassenhutl are available, with both having a few seasons experience of managing in the premier league.
I’m grateful to Fosun for their investment that’s meant we’re just starting our sixth consecutive season in the Premier League. It does feel like once the all things Portuguese strategy started to become less effective they’ve massively struggled to implement an effective more British and global orientated recruitment strategy.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is so true, we were just picking up form when Raul got injured, it’s never ever been the same since. He really was so under appreciated, only Bully better than him in my time of nearly 40 years
Same mate. He was magnificent.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun gave WWFC a sense of purpose . Nuno had strength of charachter.
They are crucial elements in a successful team.

T

TheConcourse

Things were unraveling well before Nuno left. He’s a football coach, not a magician.

The idea that things fell apart when he left is nonsense.

Had 2 years of a small but very talented squad, that avoided injuries and was good at sitting in shape and counter attacking.

If he came back tomorrow we’d still have all the same problems we have today.

Personally think he left at the right time, protects his legacy. Any idea that he’d come back and get this squad challenging for Europe is romantic rubbish.
I don’t think anybody believes we’d be fighting for Europe if he came back. We definitely wouldn’t be staring at the bottom three.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno was a perfect fit as his stock was quite unknown and we were a bit down and out. He grew as we did and the style he adopted fitted a newly promoted club, the quality we had been able to bring in through mostly Mendes sourced players gave that touch of quality to our quite reserved style. As that started to be a cycle that needed to make the next step Nuno struggled to do so without it showing his inability to phase a more front foot style without it completely making us susceptible and that balance wasn’t really found, it wasn’t under Bruno and then sadly the funds started to be less and less to achieve it also. JLo had to use his wealth of experience to make the most of what we had but on the thought that we had the wealth to then start to build something he felt was going to achieve not only what he wanted but also what the club had wanted for a few years. That fell flat on its **** and now GON is doing what Jlo had to do but with far less experience and that’s why our attack/defend and repeat style is one that may indeed be more pleasing on the eye, similar to the start of Bruno’s reign but what will ultimately result far more losses than wins. Our best hope imo with west we have and what restrictions we’re operating under was to have a man at helm who knew all the tricks of the trade and one who had been there and got the T-shirt, what we have in a novice who may well had a decent managerial career over time but who again imo has landed a role that neither are suited to and will end in tears by December. When that happens Nuno isn’t the man then either

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was a bigger detriment to Nuno's time, Covid or the Raul injury?
I think covid, we were flying in the league and had that important thing momentum and a team who almost lived in each others pockets and homes.

Then covid game, killed the momentum and forced the lads to be apart and unable to have their normal support systems. Especially the youngsters not in their home country.

Nuno also didn’t have his family I don’t think

Then the lads didn’t have us there giving them the amazing atmosphere that made molineux a fortress and clearly lifted them and at times drove them to fight on. Sounds like a cliche, but we were the teams 12th man.

Nuno looked haunted and troubled when we came back, he never recovered. He loved and needed us as much as we loved and needed him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Covid without a doubt he couldn’t see the point in playing without fans, anyone who knew him knew how badly he was affected by covid and fearful for his family at home.
Agreed. He fed off the fans and we did off him too. Never felt that emotional bond to a Wolves manager before or since.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Raul’s injury meant the team lost its spark. Covid meant Nuno lost his spark.
Yet it didn’t effect the majority of other clubs managers…..

Covid was a level playing field. No one and no club gained or lost any advantage over the other during that time.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Covid was a level playing field. No one and no club gained or lost any advantage over the other during that time.
I have to respond to this. Ridiculous thing to say that covid was a level playing field. Of course it wasn't in football and in everything else. My family and I never got covid but other families lost love ones to the disease - how's that a level playing field? Nuno's big strength, possibly his biggest strength, was his amazing relationship and bond with the fans; it shone through every game, exemplified best when he came to the NB at the end of games and did his fist pumping. He lived and breathed for the fans and I believe the absence of fans due to covid affected him more than we can ever know. The shocking injury to Jimenez only added to his troubles and imo we have not been the same club since that fateful day in November 2020.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think football success is 80% down to the quality of the players the coach has available, and 10% luck on timing - then if you are lucky 10% coaching and man management.

I big part is dropping on players at the right time in their career - just like Adama and Raul had pre-pandemic. OK the very best players have many years at the top of their game, a club like ours are very lucky if they can get five years out of a performer like Neves.

All the premier league managers and coaches have the technical expertise - they have all done the UEFA Pro licences, any difference they can make is probably down to man management and getting multi-millionaires to put a shift in.

There is zero chance Nuno will be coming back here. When he has finished in Saudi he will be made for life and will either go to Spain, Italy, or France - I can't seeing him landing one of the very top jobs, but good luck to him if he does.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Absolute rubbish
I have friends who were terrified of catching it and stayed away from people others were more blasé and didn’t let it affect them
How many managers had wife and children in a different country? The majority would be living in the same house

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Completely disagree. Some clubs benefitted massively from it.

Villa were dead and buried when COVID hit. It allowed them time to regroup, get their confidence back and come back a stronger side.

West Ham was a toxic place prior to COVID. The fans hated the board and matchdays were a hostile place. Having no fans removed the negativity and took the pressure off them, allowing them to play with much more freedom.

You could argue that without COVID at least one of those would have gone down. Villa especially wouldn't be where they are now.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to respond to this. Ridiculous thing to say that covid was a level playing field. Of course it wasn't in football and in everything else. My family and I never got covid but other families lost love ones to the disease - how's that a level playing field? Nuno's big strength, possibly his biggest strength, was his amazing relationship and bond with the fans; it shone through every game, exemplified best when he came to the NB at the end of games and did his fist pumping. He lived and breathed for the fans and I believe the absence of fans due to covid affected him more than we can ever know. The shocking injury to Jimenez only added to his troubles and imo we have not been the same club since that fateful day in November 2020.
100% agree. The support was a huge factor in our success for those two seasons. When that was taken away you could tell it had an immediate impact. We were still winning games but that wave of emotion, attacking football and momentum had gone.

No way do we lose to the **** with a packed Molineux roaring them on at 2-1 up.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Villa were dead and buried when COVID hit. It allowed them time to regroup, get their confidence back and come back a stronger side.

West Ham was a toxic place prior to COVID. The fans hated the board and matchdays were a hostile place. Having no fans removed the negativity and took the pressure off them, allowing them to play with much more freedom.

You could argue that without COVID at least one of those would have gone down. Villa especially wouldn't be where they are now.
Yep, remember Hammers fans on the radio saying how much it helped them as it removed all of the toxicity they were experiencing at that time.

We were the opposite. Prior to Covid Molineux was experiencing its best times for many years. The fans loved the team, the manager, the owners. We were riding high in the Premier League and playing in Europe, I kept pinching myself and wondering what was going to stop us in our tracks - then along came Covid.

Things at Wolves have never been the same since. We lost all our momentum and in the years since have seen all of that work undone, typical of us really.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It also completely killed Sheff Utd. They had a decent team which heavily relied on a good tempo. Their home form would have possibly kept them up had they been allowed fans there.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My personal opinion is Nuno and intelligent man could rationalise about the effects of Covid .
He left because Fosun would not replace Jimenez or Jota and wouldn’t improve on a team he had taken to the limits . And history proved him right. He won’t come back .

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My personal opinion is Nuno and intelligent man could rationalise about the effects of Covid .
He left because Fosun would not replace Jimenez or Jota and wouldn’t improve on a team he had taken to the limits . And history proved him right. He won’t come back .
I think he might, one day.
It won't be under the current regime though.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno looked miserable because the team were playing **** and couldn’t score a goal. He looked miserable because he wanted to refresh the squad and couldn’t. He looked miserable because he could see how things were going.

We didn’t sell Jota and Doc because of covid, Moutinho didn’t get too old because of covid and Raul didn’t get injured because of covid.

Why people think we’re the only club who missed fans is beyond me.

Loads of us couldn’t see family a that time, the Southampton manager (Ralph can’t spell his surname) couldn’t see his family either. I didn’t see my lad for months. Nuno seems a pretty mentally strong man to me, to suggest his work was massively impacted by the family situation and not having the south bank singing “Nuno had a dream” seems a bit daft to me.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The “ifs and whys” behind Nuno leaving will only ever be known by those closest but regardless of if he jumped, was pushed or a mix of both it’s hard to see how he comes back under Fosun. Simply put, someone will feel aggrieved depending on why he went.

While I loved his time here and it was easily the best time in my wolves time, I wouldn’t want him back. These things rarely work out and it’s basically the equivalent of a Friday night fumble with an old flame in that someone ends up disappointed in the reunion.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno looked miserable because the team were playing **** and couldn’t score a goal. He looked miserable because he wanted to refresh the squad and couldn’t. He looked miserable because he could see how things were going.

We didn’t sell Jota and Doc because of covid, Moutinho didn’t get too old because of covid and Raul didn’t get injured because of covid.

Why people think we’re the only club who missed fans is beyond me.

Loads of us couldn’t see family a that time, the Southampton manager (Ralph can’t spell his surname) couldn’t see his family either. I didn’t see my lad for months. Nuno seems a pretty mentally strong man to me, to suggest his work was massively impacted by the family situation and not having the south bank singing “Nuno had a dream” seems a bit daft to me.
Nah, I agree with the posters above. All about opinions but I do believe we were disproportionally more impacted than some other clubs at that time. Molineux was a cauldron and a great leveller against some of the best teams I've seen us play... and then beat.

That was taken away. Our best forward was taken away, Nuno was on record as being separated from family and his spark was taken away. Just my opinion of course but it's one others share... the pandemic came at the worst possible time for our club.

Could by worse though, look at your Southend's and your Grimsby's. At least being hit at the top of our curve has given us chance to recover and build again while still at the top table. We had it bad but they had it worse. Your Man United's and Liverpool's? Water of a duck's back.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Rubbish

Nuno lost his bond with the fans, and that was one of the key elements to our rise, the whole family unit that Nuno had created. No other manager we've had in my lifetime comes close to having created that, so safe to assume that not all the other clubs lost the same as we did

This is before you had the physical aspects, that sides who had a reasonable break between the two seasons and could have something resembling a pre-season tended to have a better season than those who didn’t. And we weren't the only club way off it that year, Liverpool went from 99pts in 19/20 to 69pts in the covid season and back up to 92pts the season after. Blip??

Covid was a level playing field for everyone? Ignorance in the extreme

bigwolf

Reaction score
The “ifs and whys” behind Nuno leaving will only ever be known by those closest but regardless of if he jumped, was pushed or a mix of both it’s hard to see how he comes back under Fosun. Simply put, someone will feel aggrieved depending on why he went.

While I loved his time here and it was easily the best time in my wolves time, I wouldn’t want him back. These things rarely work out and it’s basically the equivalent of a Friday night fumble with an old flame in that someone ends up disappointed in the reunion.

I'd love a Friday night fumble with any old flame.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Nuno return would be a trap for him.
Even with Fosun gone and all his original squad gone, the fans would expect too much from him.

He must have been aware of the hostile comments on social media aimed previously at him…….why would he come back to that?

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And yet Everton have a whole disciplinary procedure hanging over them because they claim to have suffered (financially) far more than any other club...

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno was fantastic for Wolves, he built a team that was the best since the early 70‘s team. Could he recreate that again? I doubt it. He has moved on, as have Wolves.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bow to no one in my love for Nuno (apart from his wife and kids maybe, although it was debatable in 2019) but I don’t really want him back. We caught lightning in a bottle for those three seasons. That squad can never be recreated and it wouldn’t be the same with a different squad

Back
Top Bottom