Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jon Purdie (alive and well)

Himleywolf

Reaction score
For those of us who remember the 'interesting' times of the mid 80's will know the name of Jon Purdie, a skilful forward we signed from Arsena. He has had a book published about his life story called Purds Booze and Footy which is a cracking read. He talks about his time with Wolves how he loved the club and some of the characters who were around.
Even if you aren't old enough to remember him it's worth a read just to see how Wolves were in the 80's.
Thoroughly recommend it.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Was made up about a year ago when Jon commented on a post that I'd put on one of the Wolves related Facebook sites. We had a quick conversation on there which confirmed to me he didn't want to leave the club when he did.

Himleywolf

Reaction score
Was made up about a year ago when Jon commented on a post that I'd put on one of the Wolves related Facebook sites. We had a quick conversation on there which confirmed to me he didn't want to leave the club when he did.
You ought to try his book very enjoyable.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Preferred him in Doctor Who more than I did in Worzel Gummidge.
Haha, this subject was just made for me - not only did I have a conversation with Purdie on FB but I also met Jon Pertwee once, dressed as Worzel when he opened a new housing development near my family home.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeh I ordered this last night, looking forward to reading it.

Don’t know whether it’s because the era I started going to games, but the mid 80s is a part of our history I just find fascinating.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha, this subject was just made for me - not only did I have a conversation with Purdie on FB but I also met Jon Pertwee once, dressed as Worzel when he opened a new housing development near my family home.
Jeez, couldn’t Barrett’s afford Timmy Mallett or Christopher Biggins? :tearsofjoy:

Himleywolf

Reaction score
Yeh I ordered this last night, looking forward to reading it.

Don’t know whether it’s because the era I started going to games, but the mid 80s is a part of our history I just find fascinating.
You wouldn't think it's the same game nowadays, somehow I can't imagine today's players bouncing cars off the North Bank car park so they can train on it.

Charlie176

Groupie
Reaction score
I played Sunday league with him after he retired from pro football……lovely guy and was extremely underrated

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved him and Neil Edwards back in the dark days. Met Jon few years back in game at Burton,the pub owned by the Wolves fan, think he'd travelled with Tatter travel, from the Wheatsheaf.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Used to know Jon and his in-laws fairly well a few years ago and he was very frank and honest about where he let himself down so as not to really make it in the professional game.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those of us who remember the 'interesting' times of the mid 80's will know the name of Jon Purdie, a skilful forward we signed from Arsena. He has had a book published about his life story called Purds Booze and Footy which is a cracking read. He talks about his time with Wolves how he loved the club and some of the characters who were around.
Even if you aren't old enough to remember him it's worth a read just to see how Wolves were in the 80's.
Thoroughly recommend it.
Where can you buy a copy from please
Definitely will get one
Edit: Sorry just found it on Amazon
It’s paperback do you know if they do a hardback

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved Jon Purdie. Even though we were crap, as a young teenager in the mid 80s I really looked upto the likes of Purdie, Steve Stoutt, John Morrisey, Darren Oldroyd, Neil Edwards etc. they came to us when we were truly awful, and they knew it, but they did their best and for a lot of them they were part of the Turner/Bull revolution.

CHn1pY-WIAAUaAI.jpg

Last edited:

Gazaza1973

Groupie
Reaction score
Loved Jon Purdie. Even though we were crap, as a young teenager in the mid 80s I really looked upto the likes of Purdie, Steve Stoutt, John Morrisey, Darren Oldroyd, Neil Edwards etc. they came to us when we were truly awful, and they knew it, but they did their best and for a lot of them they were part of the Turner/Bull revolution.

View attachment 23166
I dont know if my memorys going but i didnt miss a single home game from 1982 til 2003 and im struggling to remember John Morrisey did he actually play any games for us

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dont know if my memorys going but i didnt miss a single home game from 1982 til 2003 and im struggling to remember John Morrisey did he actually play any games for us
Morrisey was a full back I think who we got from Everton and played the first few games in Div 4 under Brian Little. He disappeared once Graham Turner took over.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morrissey was a winger. Played 10 times, scored 1 goal

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Morrissey would fit in well currently. With the mood on here, heaven knows we’re miserable now…

Gazaza1973

Groupie
Reaction score
Morrisey was a full back I think who we got from Everton and played the first few games in Div 4 under Brian Little. He disappeared once Graham Turner took over.

Christ he actually scored a goal my memory must be bad the name just doesn't ring any bells with me and i was at the games inc the first 2 away games in 86/87at Aldershot and Lincoln

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Christ he actually scored a goal my memory must be bad the name just doesn't ring any bells with me and i was at the games inc the first 2 away games in 86/87at Aldershot and Lincoln
That Aldershot away game early that season was a cracking away day. 2 late goals won it for us I recall? We hadn’t won many away games in the previous 3 season!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 23166
Morrissey was a good player, and Purdie to be fair. We were on a one way trip to the bottom and they still had a go. If I remember rightly we got Morrissey because Everton played a bunch of their kids, got thrashed and Howard Kendall sold them all! We ended up with Morrissey but he got homesick and we ended up gifting him to Tranmere, where he went on to become a club legend obviously.

Back
Top Bottom