Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

John Marshall

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is apparently our Head of Recruitment but does he actually do anything apart from watch videos ?, because i cant see anything that he does in the signings that we make which appear to be predominantly done by Jorge, when did we last sign anyone he seemed to reccomend Cutrone ?.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He is apparently our Head of Recruitment but does he actually do anything apart from watch videos ?, because i cant see anything that he does in the signings that we make which appear to be predominantly done by Jorge, when did we last sign anyone he seemed to reccomend Cutrone ?.
There are 3 parts if you're really interested...

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Full video interview with him on YouTube for those who haven't seen

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also watch a lot of videos. I must stop it before I go blind though.
Possibly explains the quality of our signings.
Semedo for example. Did we really research to bring in a rb whose main weakness is defending and pay such a high price?

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We watch over 2000 players... We just need a striker mate please.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think his job atm is to twiddle his thumbs having been told the bank account is currently empty.....

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****ing hell stop naming folk I thought we had pulled a rabbit out the hat there. Thinking as I waited for the page to load whose this fella then? ST, AMF, CB??

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo for example. Did we really research to bring in a rb whose main weakness is defending and pay such a high price?

Ha ha there’s one reason we signed Semedo

It’s got nothing to do with football and everything to do with Jorge’s bank balance and helping him curry favour with Barcelona

If it was just about football Hoever would have stayed in the team after his performance at old Trafford

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When did we last sign an British man , there are few top ten teams with less British signings than us.
Surely we scout British teams.

Matheson. Obviously we scout British teams, but if they're already a Premier League player, then every man and his dog has heard of him, and if he's good, the price would be insanely high.

Arsenal managed to do fine when they had no British players and won the league every other season.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matheson. Obviously we scout British teams, but if they're already a Premier League player, then every man and his dog has heard of him, and if he's good, the price would be insanely high.

Arsenal managed to do fine when they had no British players and won the league every other season.
Agreed we have to get our noses in the trough before (or along ) with the other Premier Leagues sides. We do it in Portugal.
But one in 12 months, and Fosun are in to year 5 .
With Brexit it will become more important, do we have the required quality in our UK scouting network , to match our principles of bring the best youth in early.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed we have to get our noses in the trough before (or along ) with the other Premier Leagues sides. We do it in Portugal.
But one in 12 months, and Fosun are in to year 5 .
With Brexit it will become more important, do we have the required quality in our UK scouting network , to match our principles of bring the best youth in early.

Well if you want to talk about 5 years of Fosun, there are plenty more : Ruddy, Bennett, Douglas, Afobe.

To an extent, it may become more important - however, it's fairly simple to get a work permit for any first choice player in a top European league (I.e. Willian Jose was way over the criteria needed), so it's not like we won't be able to sign foreign talent. I still don't expect us to start spending the £30m that it would probably cost for a half decent Championship player.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And who is Portugal's first choice and still adapting to a new league and country **

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And who is Portugal's first choice and still adapting to a new league and country **
I hope he will come good but I also take note of what others say especially pundits. Our defence is not strong enough at present to accomodate for his present style. This criticism seems to have been there at Barca but they were srong enough to allow for this. I am encouraged by what he does well and hope that he will adapt but still feel that we needed a more defensive minded rb at this time.

Last edited:

UEAwolf

Reaction score
I hadn't realised Andrew Findlay had left the club - he was very highly thought of.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why can't people accept the model we use when it has clearly brought us success? Half a crazy season and the naysayers are chomping at the bit.
Quite. And I don't get the fixation some folks have on British players. Quite apart from the fact that they're too damned expensive unless you get them in as babes in arms, and they in many cases would fall foul of our 'no *********'/'no Billy big balls' policy, our priority should be on quality talent with the requisite humility and professionalism from wherever in the world it emerges, nationality being pretty much unimportant.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if you want to talk about 5 years of Fosun, there are plenty more : Ruddy, Bennett, Douglas, Afobe.

To an extent, it may become more important - however, it's fairly simple to get a work permit for any first choice player in a top European league (I.e. Willian Jose was way over the criteria needed), so it's not like we won't be able to sign foreign talent. I still don't expect us to start spending the £30m that it would probably cost for a half decent Championship player.
This thread is on John Marshall , and how has he helped the team.
You take Maddison, Grealish, Mount, Ward -Prowse , Sancho, Saka ,Foden , Rice . Ali , Winks .
These are just the latest crop of ( only) English midfielders. All quite young 5 years ago. Are we capable of finding these types today - are any such coming through our system - say 3 years in ?
We have no young English talent on the field to match any of those. And I cant see that changing in next two years.
You mention Ruddy , Bennett, Douglas and Afobe - they were not youngsters "discovered" by our UK scouting network .

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why can't people accept the model we use when it has clearly brought us success? Half a crazy season and the naysayers are chomping at the bit.
No problem - bar Brexit and are we missing out on the next generation of English talent ?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When did we last sign an British man , there are few top ten teams with less British signings than us.
Surely we scout British teams.

That young Rochdale wing back...scored for them v Man Utd and looked *really* promising. Not sure where he is now...can't remember his name.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You take Maddison, Grealish, Mount, Ward -Prowse , Sancho, Saka ,Foden , Rice . Ali , Winks .
These are just the latest crop of ( only) English midfielders. All quite young 5 years ago. Are we capable of finding these types today - are any such coming through our system - say 3 years in ?
We have no young English talent on the field to match any of those. And I cant see that changing in next two years.
You mention Ruddy , Bennett, Douglas and Afobe - they were not youngsters "discovered" by our UK scouting network .

Not stereotyping, but all the young English players are interested in is getting trophy Instagram girlfriends and going to Covid parties. I said "not stereotyping" so it isn't. Much. :D

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These are just the latest crop of ( only) English midfielders. All quite young 5 years ago. Are we capable of finding these types toda

That's setting a very high bar.

Of that list, there's Leicester/Norwich, Villa, Chelsea, Southampton, City, Arsenal, West Ham, and Spurs. So plenty of big clubs that haven't had a success in that time, and apart from City and Spurs, they've only got one each. If you're counting as far back as Dele Alli in your list, who broke through in 2015, then that's 1-2 players per club every 6 seasons.

We've only really been seen to be competing with those clubs for 2 seasons now (as any up and coming youngsters wouldn't have expected our first year back in the PL to go how it did), so any investment along those lines is unlikely to have paid off yet.

Most of these players came through at their club as well (apart from I think Maddison & Sancho), so that would be an even longer time horizon - i.e. people in our U16s now. A lot of them won't be up for grabs, and if they're standouts at youth level, will have their pick of top clubs. It's not fair to expect us to compete with teams and youth setups like City's - if you expect that, then you'll be disappointed.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's setting a very high bar.

Of that list, there's Leicester/Norwich, Villa, Chelsea, Southampton, City, Arsenal, West Ham, and Spurs. So plenty of big clubs that haven't had a success in that time, and apart from City and Spurs, they've only got one each. If you're counting as far back as Dele Alli in your list, who broke through in 2015, then that's 1-2 players per club every 6 seasons.

We've only really been seen to be competing with those clubs for 2 seasons now (as any up and coming youngsters wouldn't have expected our first year back in the PL to go how it did), so any investment along those lines is unlikely to have paid off yet.

Most of these players came through at their club as well (apart from I think Maddison & Sancho), so that would be an even longer time horizon - i.e. people in our U16s now. A lot of them won't be up for grabs, and if they're standouts at youth level, will have their pick of top clubs. It's not fair to expect us to compete with teams and youth setups like City's - if you expect that, then you'll be disappointed.
Leicester ,Villa Southampton , West Ham are in there but these are midfielders , no,attackers or defenders. I suppose we have Kilman as a positive.

Back
Top Bottom