Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Moutinho

Reaction score
Much has been written about Raul and most of it i completely agree with , great centre forward , robbed of his prime years by a calculating scumbag , but just above him in the pantheon of Wolves greats must be Joao Moutinho , in my years of following our club he stands out as the greatest player i have seen in old gold , marginally better than Peter Broadbent , if he is to leave , Obrigado por todo , you will be greatly missed , and finally a word for Jonny Otto another great servant for the cause , O.O.D.C.L . Grenville . see you all at the Emirates tomorrow .

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could debate all day about the respective talents of two great players. Personally the 120+ goals Broadbent scored for Wolves could swing the debate his way although I saw him only a very few times near the end of his Wolves career. Sir, if you saw Broadbent at his best you are blessed!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely great player....was absolutely awesome for the first 18 months or so....never seen anything like it ...it was a pleasure to watch..

Probably should have gone last summer or even the summer before it we were honest ...but his experience has still be valuable....

Slightly tarnished it for me with the ending but he is a winner and wouldn't want to be given a 10 minute cameo in a game to say goodbye...it isn't him , he is a winner.....

I've always said you wouldn't get him part time ..he is either in or out ....and again I've always said the myth peddled on here about him coaching was complete rubbish as well ...he will carry on playing in Portugal and when he is good and ready to coach it will be in Portugal...

I wish him well.....but you should have said goodbye...

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hate the word 'servant' to a football club. They're well paid professionals who ply their trade to the highest payer (normally) And nothing wrong in that I would add.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopeteguis man management of Ait Nouri, then Jimenez and now mouthinio STINKS.
I hope the truth comes out
Couldn't have anything to do with the player’s not doing their jobs like maintaining an acceptable level of fitness or turning up for work when selected, needless to say two sides to every story.

Last edited:

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could have anything to do with the player’s not doing their jobs like maintaining an acceptable level of fitness or turning up for work when selected, needless to say two sides to every story.
Have you seen mouthinio warm up before a game ? Nothing wrong with his fitness

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Great player, but not happy he's gone AWOL, this kind of thing really ****es me off, even if he does have another club lined up and doesn't want to get injured (I don't buy that theory) he's still being paid to represent Wolves
Yep definitely gone down in my estimation.

Regardless of any possible fall out between him and Lopetegui disappointed that he didn’t join in the after match lap in front of the fans.

Shows a bit of a disregard for the love we’ve shown him and had hoped he would show more of a connection with the fans.

Great player though

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good for the first couple of years and his delivery was excellent. Then, just didn't start to decline, but his performances seemed to fall off a cliff. He wasn't the only one of course as generally Wolves' performances over the last 2.5 or 3 years mirrored those of Mouts. Glad to have seen him somewhere near his prime at Wolves, however to liken him to the like of Broadbent is folly.
Midfielders are expected to score as well as assist. Moutinho's record at Sporting was a respectable 21 goals in 163 games. His record at Wolves is frankly poor with 5 goals in 175 games.
For comparison; King Kenny got 89 goals in 466 matches, Steve Daley got 38 in 212 and more recently, Alex Rae got 15 in 107 matches and Colin Cameron got 23 in 168.
Mouts has been a good player for us, but nowhere near 'great' as his goal tally would imply.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good for the first couple of years and his delivery was excellent. Then, just didn't start to decline, but his performances seemed to fall off a cliff. He wasn't the only one of course as generally Wolves' performances over the last 2.5 or 3 years mirrored those of Mouts. Glad to have seen him somewhere near his prime at Wolves, however to liken him to the like of Broadbent is folly.
Midfielders are expected to score as well as assist. Moutinho's record at Sporting was a respectable 21 goals in 163 games. His record at Wolves is frankly poor with 5 goals in 175 games.
For comparison; King Kenny got 89 goals in 466 matches, Steve Daley got 38 in 212 and more recently, Alex Rae got 15 in 107 matches and Colin Cameron got 23 in 168.
Mouts has been a good player for us, but nowhere near 'great' as his goal tally would imply.

You can't compare his scoring record at Sporting CP his style of play changed.

And I think the standard that Moutinho was up against even at his ageing years was a lot higher then the folk you listed. Especially Rae and Cameron lol.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can't compare his scoring record at Sporting CP his style of play changed.

And I think the standard that Moutinho was up against even at his ageing years was a lot higher then the folk you listed. Especially Rae and Cameron lol.
Whomever Moutinho is compared with; his goal return is poor. I used those players for example and of course it doesn't take into account a like for like comparison as teams, and divisions have varied. There have been worse midfielders at Wolves, but frankly there have been better.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally different game back then tbf. Those teams of the 50-60-70's might have been good and even great sides, but the football when you go back and watch it looks like you are watching a game in the championship. Goals were much easier to come by in those days and the playing field was far more even.

Midfield play also isnt all about goals. I dont get how you can compare footballing ability based on goals for a start talking about midfielders. It would be like me saying Broadbent only got 7 international caps and didnt compete at the very highest level for as long as Mouts has so he clearly isnt on his level. Its just not relevant because of the changes in the game.

Reaction score
Great player, but not happy he's gone AWOL, this kind of thing really ****es me off, even if he does have another club lined up and doesn't want to get injured (I don't buy that theory) he's still being paid to represent Wolves
or he could have been told to stay away from the game by the manager

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho when he came was a conductor. Walked into the most intense league there is and had all the time in the world, defying his age and price and making us a better team. Naturally he's dropped off, but even this season he's still shown some of that class helping us steady the ship late in games, the assist at Everton wasn't bad either

Shame how it's all ended, must have been a major fall out for him not to even be around for the final two games and it doesn't reflect well on him whatever happened

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps the manager is telling the truth as Moutinho hasnt reacted

Could well be. Or Mouts just isnt doing everything in public.

Can’t see why Julen would lie and there’s zero excuse for not turning up for the lap of honour last week.

Apparently he was in the stadium, not sure how true that was though.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't have anything to do with the player’s not doing their jobs like maintaining an acceptable level of fitness or turning up for work when selected, needless to say two sides to every story.
Wrong...
3 sides to a story.
JL view / players view and inbetween will be the truth.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back to Joao..
The little guy was a Master of what he did at Wolves.
Graced a pitch and opened our eyes from what we've become accustomed too with not just next level of playing, but top draw level..
I feel today marks the end of a period I am so lucky to have seen/watch and spoke about (much like those in the 50's and 70's great sides & Bully) and we can talk with fond memories..

Thank you Fosun and our Portuguese Master and his Apprentice (Neves).

Reaction score
Hasn’t the manager said it was the players decision?
He said Moutinho had opted out of playing last week but not the reason why, it could have been as simple as the player carrying a knock and being asked if he felt fit enough to play, lot of assumptions over what happened last week and not a lot of fact. As for Moutinho, great player and if you have the pleasure of meeting him, a really nice person to boot

Back
Top Bottom