Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An even more unpopular opinion:
Jamie O'Hara on TalkSport isn't a bad listen at all. I actually quite enjoy it when he's on.
I agree. His opinions are rational and unbiased. He's not particularly articulate though, so for that reason I'd sooner the job was given to a non binary midget refugee.

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it not possible to discuss the merits of a black pundit without comparing him or her to...other black pundits? Surely it is worth highlighting JFH's strengths as a pundit across the board rather than implicitly suggesting they're there as a box ticking exercise. Comments like "If we are to see more black presenters" and jokes about disabled people or trans people are disappointing but predictable for some of the dross that gets written on this forum.
I'll agree the comment "if we are to see more black presenters" was weird, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't mean it that way.

Given that JFH has been doing punditry for years, even before it was trendy to have black pundits, I'd say he is there on merit. I watch a lot of foreign broadcasts, I think he's been on those more than UK presentations, normally commenting on one of his former clubs.

The direct comparison then to other black pundits is relevant in my opinion. The reality though is there are not good and bad black and white pundits, there are good and bad pundits.

Jimmy Floyd and Gary Neville are good.

Steve McManaman and Garth Crooks are dirge.

Also jokes about the disabled and trans people are only digs at the ridiculousness of box ticking which has clearly become widespread.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JFH was very good, liked him. Intelligent, artuculate and insightful.

Regarding Clinton Morrison, I do find his accent intensely irritating but I must admit, Kingswood is pretty spot on in that Morrison is actually pretty good and does come across as a nice guy and does have a good sense of humour.

Now as for TS, 2 of the worst I have heard have to be Carlton Cole and Gabby Agbonlahor. O'Hara also comes across a bit 'fick' but does make some good points when not reminding us that he's a manager every 5 minutes. Perhaps we should resurrect the Talksport thread for this though!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never forgiven him for that hatrick he scored against us after coming off the bench

Was there too. I have to admit, even at 2–1 I thought there was no way we were winning this match.

Then Jimmy comes off the bench and the rest is history. He blew us away, top performance from him.

Closest away end to what away fans have at Molineux the old Stamford Bridge setup was.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Is it not possible to discuss the merits of a black pundit without comparing him or her to...other black pundits? Surely it is worth highlighting JFH's strengths as a pundit across the board rather than implicitly suggesting they're there as a box ticking exercise. Comments like "If we are to see more black presenters" and jokes about disabled people or trans people are disappointing but predictable for some of the dross that gets written on this forum.
It’s perfectly rational to do so. Not really rational to weigh up every angle of a discussion in case it might offend someone on the margins who will then make a big deal of it whilst trying to claim so sort of moral high ground.

Sky TV btw are really pushing the BLM message (note I didn’t use the word agenda there as that would have brought down the racist accusations) and as part of that are using more and more black pundits. So it is perfectly okay to compare them.

If you think this isn’t normal conversation then you’re sadly out of touch. You want to read more into something than there is then that’s your problem.

E

Eddie's Eagle

I'll agree the comment "if we are to see more black presenters" was weird, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't mean it that way.

Given that JFH has been doing punditry for years, even before it was trendy to have black pundits, I'd say he is there on merit. I watch a lot of foreign broadcasts, I think he's been on those more than UK presentations, normally commenting on one of his former clubs.

The direct comparison then to other black pundits is relevant in my opinion. The reality though is there are not good and bad black and white pundits, there are good and bad pundits.

Jimmy Floyd and Gary Neville are good.

Steve McManaman and Garth Crooks are dirge.

Also jokes about the disabled and trans people are only digs at the ridiculousness of box ticking which has clearly become widespread.

Unfortunately, those who you might make an argument for promoting a 'box ticking' approach are those who have do not understand the importance of the positive action for multi-ethnic representation. However, they'd be silly to admit it as it is unlawful under the Equalities Act 2010. What organisations should be doing is positive action as, firstly, it is lawful, but secondly, it's a small step in changing the ethos of the workplace which should, consequently, rub off on those whom they serve.

So more positive action (we need it!) and no to positive discrimination as your response shows that it can cause more division within society.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Unpopular opinion: Clinton Morrison is actually an okay pundit. Firstly, he's clearly a nice fella and that comes thru. Secondly, IF you can just get passed his accent, what he says is pretty good.

He's really from south London so does actually talk like that - rest of the country hates it, yes - but at least he's not a wannabe.

So just listen to what he says, listen to his passion, he's sometimes quite funny... just ignore his catchphrase "and stuff like that" and his preposterous accent.
Yep, funny how a working class accent annoys people so much. Would they rather he sounded like Stephen Fry?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The comments about the ridiculousness of box ticking are becoming as equally widespread and tiresome as the actual box ticking itself.
("Can I say that? Can't say anything, these days" ).

For every pundit who would may have got the job to fulfill the box-ticking to represent diversity, there are still many, many more who have fallen into the job because they are in the in-crowd, despite being medicore at the job (and totally un-diverse). Will I be cancelled for saying that? :)

Look at Shearer. Spent years being totally without insight, boring and not even media friendly. Eventually he has become reasonable at the job, but he's had enough practice and training now. What box-ticking got him (and many like him) the job?

Reaction score
This is a dreadful thread. We don't care what colour the players in our team are and love Nuno regardless his ethnicity so why are we debating the merits of black pundits?

Some people on here would prefer Nigel Farage's views on Leed's ridiculous pressing game than a former top PL striker

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at Shearer. Spent years being totally without insight, boring and not even media friendly. Eventually he has become reasonable at the job, but he's had enough practice and training now. What box-ticking got him (and many like him) the job?
I think perhaps Shearer is a bad example. What qualifies him is his record in the game. The "boxes' he ticks are PL striker, England striker, Phenomenally good striker. We value what he has to say because of who he is.

A wonderful career in the game isn't enough though. Shearer does have something about him. Michael Owen for instance had arguably a better career, he ticks the same boxes. But no one wants to listen to him drone on and he's white.

I want to see and hear **** black pundits about as much as I want to see and hear **** white ones.

Michael Owen FFS.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to see and hear **** black pundits about as much as I want to see and hear **** white ones.

Michael Owen FFS.
A good pundit is a good pundit regardless of the colour of their skin, or their gender for that matter. The same goes for the opposite (and there are far more crap, white, male pundits than I could shake a very large stick at).

I wonder how many former black players have dismissed the idea of pursuing a career in the media precisely because they don't want to be viewed as the token BAME representative. The fact that we're even discussing the subject on a threat about a former player shows that "tokenism" is still an issue in the eyes of many.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good pundit is a good pundit regardless of the colour of their skin, or their gender for that matter. The same goes for the opposite (and there are far more crap, white, male pundits than I could shake a very large stick at).

I wonder how many former black players have dismissed the idea of pursuing a career in the media precisely because they don't want to be viewed as the token BAME representative. The fact that we're even discussing the subject on a threat about a former player shows that "tokenism" is still an issue in the eyes of many.
I used to refuse to fill in the equal opportunities portion of job applications because I felt it served no purpose.

I soon learned an application with a very English name gets you nowhere, however if you tick white other you suddenly find yourself being invited to interview.

If I were a football player I could represent five different nations, one of which isn't even in Europe. I am a box ticker, I believe I have benefited from ticking a box yet it's something I'm vehemently opposed to.

Back
Top Bottom