Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jeff Shi Letter

Reaction score
I get you’re frustrated and unhappy, and trust me, you’re not alone. But looking back on your posts, it appears it’s not new. You said you regretted renewing your ST last October. Since you’ve had your ST since ‘73, you’ve seen a lot of ups and downs, like I have. I think frankly we’ve been let down far more by many of our prior owners than we have under Fosun. I just find it strange that this is the straw which has broken the camels back.
Strange it may be but that’s how I feel.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get what you are saying but on one of them, they wanted to leave to be a first team player and I think sensible management to bring Chiquinho's confidence and fitness back up is better served on loan than our bench.
So by that logic wouldn't SaSa benefit for a a loan then . Then Cutler as back up off the bench to lump it up to in the last 5 minutes when chasing the game ?. As without stating the obvious the backup numbers are thin . So if Fosun are having a season of saving these players we have sold would have been kept for squad depth rather than untried kids .

Oh but Giles and Hoever and cundle not good enough or experienced . But Pond , Fraser etc will be ?

GV Wolf

Reaction score
A lot of the people moaning are treading old ground. Just try to cheer up - you lot seem to think it’s all a conspiracy.

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
Sorry - I'll edit my post, I only used "he" as the person I was replying to did, and I assumed they knew your gender.

Given how early it is, I expect if you get in touch with the club and explain your situation (nicely) they'll be able to sort something out like a transfer.

Well it will be the first one this summer!!! We can all live in hope!!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like the guy, shoot me. I respect the approach and recognise the impact that Fosun have had. The upward trajectory took a bit of a curve but that was always going to be the case as we attempted to break into the top six.
Football is a competitive sport, everyone demands the titles and trophies but it's not going to come at the expense of good sound management of the club.
Mistakes have been made, comms have been a bit suspect so that has allowed speculation to run rife.
Yeah the ground is a **** hole despite the exciting promises of upgrades and Fabio needs a buzz cut, and Wolfie is an absolute botch job. However, im still excited about the coming season. Looking forward to what's ahead, win, lose or draw. Home kit is smart and I like the beanie I've just received and we could have all been baggies fans. Christ!
Leave Fabio's hair alone!! Threaten a number one and him leaving will be back on lol....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange it may be but that’s how I feel.

Fair enough, and it’s of course entirely your prerogative. I was pretty vocal back in October when you said you regretted renewing your ST for last season. I don’t feel anywhere near as angry at the moment as I still expect us to make 2-3 signings before we’re done, and I don’t expect us to lose any more key first team players this window. If I’m wrong, then I will likely be venting my feelings again.

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Good to hear from Jeff.

We must play by the rules - I wonder if Everton and others are doing the same?

it seems that others are in trouble:

Everton - hardly signed anyone and we’re rubbish last two seasons

Luton - have seemingly decided to largely stick with promotion team - will drop

Palace - lost their talisman

Hammers - lost their best player and not signed anyone

Spurs - no Kane likely

Brentford - no Toney

Sheff U - see Luton plus lost their best striker

Burnley - lost their star striker from last season

Fulham - likely losing Mitrovic and Willian

we need to be 100% behind the team and the club - anything else is just helping our opponents

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is a She thank you and there’s nothing wrong with my memory thanks it’s actually excellent but there comes a point where enough is enough and I have finally reached it.
:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:
Hope you didn't mind me referring to you as mate and pal in my posts.
It was maybe rather short-sighted and probably a little presumptuous on my part.
That said, I have lots of female friends whom I call mate and pal, and they likewise, with me.
Equality and all that. :smiley:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JOS with the greatest of respect you've got an obsession with having a giant squad.

Sanderson wanted game time, not being 4th choice and not really getting a look in

Chiquinho needs first team minutes to get back to match fitness, not the odd cameo from the bench.

It's sensible.
I initially misread that first sentence as "giant squid"..... A truly surreal moment lol.....

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A clear and open letter that treats the fans like adults, sharing the position we are in, promising continued proper management of the club and our future. The proof of their ability to look after the club as we would hope, is in the amount of money they've spent, albeit not always wisely, and the experience we've had of the best times as wolves fans for many, many years.
I was really worried after Lopetegui's interviews. I am not, now. I hope he stays. Yesterday's game was a pleasure to watch and we have a lot of potential. If he goes, I'm sure we'll have someone in mind.
I think the letter is excellent. No sugar coating, this is how it is. Be patient.
I think most fans will be. Forget social media, the proof is in the fans at the games. And Wolves will continue to have loud, passionate and proud fans. As Shi says, one pack. Wolves ay we.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually think it reads like they took their eye off the ball with managing our finances and now we have to make do. I'm not 100% convinced it means no signings. If it does, we are in trouble because you need to strengthen just to stand still in the premier league. This squad is still more than capable of staying up, but its going to be a dour season.

One thing I think they do need to address though is why they put up prices when our team isn't improving. The squad is worse than last year. Their justification in the past was prices had to go up because the " product " was improving, in other words, they were investing in better players. That's not the case now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:
Hope you didn't mind me referring to you as mate and pal in my posts.
It was maybe rather short-sighted and probably a little presumptuous on my part.
That said, I have lots of female friends whom I call mate and pal, and they likewise, with me.
Equality and all that. :smiley:
No problem at all ;)

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The letter is almost pure tokenism, with a side of excuses. Very little to clarify the areas of genuine concern. It seems to have satisfied most, however.
I don't think 'satisfied' is the word, but there's been a fairly reasonable discussion since Lopetegui's interview as to whether we're genuinely in a bit of an FFP / sustainability hole, or if there's a 'fire sale'. Whether Chinese policy and world financial conditions meant they were trying to pull out. Insomuch as you can take things at face value I think that situation is now clear.

Of course people will still moan about the relative mismanagement of the resources for the last 3 years and blame Shi and Mendes and praise the first 3 years of brilliant management and credit Nuno and the players. That's just how it is and much of the criticism is justified. What we had a right to expect was a clarification of the position though, and that's what we got.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very well done Jeff Shi.
It needed to be said and now it has been.

WWFC is not something to be gambled with and astute financial management is needed.
The letter also addresses the issues you face once you become established in the Prem.
Very easy to thrown money at it when all of a sudden your income stream goes from being a Championship club to a Prem. but not so easy once you are established at that level and the expectation level is you need to improve every season.

Buying players is the relatively easy part. Having them settle in and contribute in a big way to performance and results is a variable. Some you do well with and others you don't. This plays a big part in our financial picture but it is clear Fosun are here to stay and will do what they feel is necessary to protect our current status in the most elite league in the world.

Sure fans can get upset with the reality of it but it ain't their money.

Finally, "Thank You" to Fosun and Jeff. We have had some great years and hopefully they will return again under their guidance. We have to remain patient and try to understand the issues we have.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to hear from Jeff.

We must play by the rules - I wonder if Everton and others are doing the same?

it seems that others are in trouble:

Everton - hardly signed anyone and we’re rubbish last two seasons

Luton - have seemingly decided to largely stick with promotion team - will drop

Palace - lost their talisman

Hammers - lost their best player and not signed anyone

Spurs - no Kane likely

Brentford - no Toney

Sheff U - see Luton plus lost their best striker

Burnley - lost their star striker from last season

Fulham - likely losing Mitrovic and Willian

we need to be 100% behind the team and the club - anything else is just helping our opponents

Palace potentially losing Olise too.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with note. Understands concerns and communicates.

No he’s not said we have x to spend or y to sell or this is what we need/will buy. The reality is every player has a price we’d sell at and if a daft offer comes in during the next 4 weeks that will change our plans.

Well done Jeff.

If JLo goes then get on with it. Personally I hope he stays and develops the team.

UTW.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think it is sensible if it leaves Alfie Pond as 4th choice centre back at the end of the window and if Podence leaves and Neto picks up a knock. Both Chiquinho and possibly even Sanderson would have been better alternatives unless we sign players before the end of the window in attack and at centre back, in my opinion. Having a 4th choice centre back with some experience isnt asking for a giant squad to be fair.

I only skim read the letter , but doesn’t Jeff also make a point about it being important to progress youngsters and give them chances to break into the first team? With the added benefit of making the club money by increasing their value?

Who’s have thought Kilman would’ve become a £30m player when he was at the same level as Alfie Pond?

To be honest I’d rather have some kid from the academy as 4th choice over someone at the end of his career looking for a pay day.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually think it reads like they took their eye off the ball with managing our finances and now we have to make do. I'm not 100% convinced it means no signings. If it does, we are in trouble because you need to strengthen just to stand still in the premier league. This squad is still more than capable of staying up, but its going to be a dour season.

One thing I think they do need to address though is why they put up prices when our teams isn't improving. The squad is worse than last year. Their justification in the past was prices had to go up because the " product " was improving, in other words, they were investing in better players. That's not the case now.
Totally agree that's what ****s me off. I suppose they didn't check the financial situation before raising the prices. Last minute .com with the reactive approach as usual .

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only skim read the letter , but doesn’t Jeff also make a point about it being important to progress youngsters and give them chances to break into the first team? With the added benefit of making the club money by increasing their value?

Who’s have thought Kilman would’ve become a £30m player when he was at the same level as Alfie Pond?

To be honest I’d rather have some kid from the academy as 4th choice over someone at the end of his career looking for a pay day.
From what I’ve seen of Pond he’s got a very very bright future

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

One thing I think they do need to address though is why they put up prices when our teams isn't improving. The squad is worse than last year. Their justification in the past was prices had to go up because the " product " was improving, in other words, they were investing in better players. That's not the case now.
What's every other company, or shop's excuse for putting up prices? No other area of business seems to think they have to provide an improved product in order to increase prices. I'm not saying they are right, but why is a football club any different?

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I’ve seen of Pond he’s got a very very bright future

He could come into the first team and do a job if injuries / suspensions dictate.

Equally, he may follow the likes of Cundle and Giles by proving himself on loan then making the club a few million quid.

Or he could be released in 2 years and disappear into non league.

That’s the gamble of developing young players!

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

One thing I think they do need to address though is why they put up prices when our team isn't improving. The squad is worse than last year. Their justification in the past was prices had to go up because the " product " was improving, in other words, they were investing in better players. That's not the case now.

They did not take their eye of the ball with the finances. Read his letter again about having to invest more than they hoped for last January. They knew they had to do it to protect our status and they did knowing there would be a consequence. That isn't taking your eye off the ball. It is protecting your investment and knowing full well that you have to adapt later.

As regards pricing... so you are OK if they put prices up when we do well? Great. This is sport. No guarantees.
Pricing all over the world for products and services continues to go up. What's inflation running at again? What has it been running at during the last year?

It has a significant impact and that is why pricing has to reflect on our costs.

You want better performances , yet players and managers cost money. They have to be paid for. Do you believe that Fosun have to keep ploughing millions in every year and not have some of that offset by the paying customer? It's the road to ruin for most businesses.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The letter is almost pure tokenism, with a side of excuses. Very little to clarify the areas of genuine concern. It seems to have satisfied most, however.
Personally, I'm far from satisfied, however, I've come to realise there's bugger all I can do to change anything.
Getting myself stressed and wound up about it, during a prolonged period of ill-health, is only gonna make me feel worse in the long run.
So yes, I'm probably accepting of the situation now, but not satisfied.
I'm gonna relax now and start enjoying the summer.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think 'satisfied' is the word, but there's been a fairly reasonable discussion since Lopetegui's interview as to whether we're genuinely in a bit of an FFP / sustainability hole, or if there's a 'fire sale'. Whether Chinese policy and world financial conditions meant they were trying to pull out. Insomuch as you can take things at face value I think that situation is now clear.

Of course people will still moan about the relative mismanagement of the resources for the last 3 years and blame Shi and Mendes and praise the first 3 years of brilliant management and credit Nuno and the players. That's just how it is and much of the criticism is justified. What we had a right to expect was a clarification of the position though, and that's what we got.
The only position that has been clarified is that Fosun will not sell the club, not a massive surprise to me. The manager's complaints have been given a wide berth however, and we still haven't the foggiest whether or not he'll walk if the end of the window is realised in its full grimness.

Lop went through with Balague that they had a Plan A, which was then scrapped for a diminished Plan B, which then was kiboshed too against his will, for a Plan C that also couldn't go through. Now it seems we cannot sign any players at all (Plan D, I guess). Jeff does not explain how we have gone through these various shifting phases in the space of two months - if there are clear and present FFP limits they would have been calculable much sooner, one would've thought.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could come into the first team and do a job if injuries / suspensions dictate.

Equally, he may follow the likes of Cundle and Giles by proving himself on loan then making the club a few million quid.

Or he could be released in 2 years and disappear into non league.

That’s the gamble of developing young players!
Yep that’s totally the gamble. Good thing is that it’s low risk high reward scenario

Back
Top Bottom