Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All gone very quiet hasn’t. What a surprise.
We need urgent upgrades in every department. New striker , ( hopefully Cunha is the man ) , attacking midfield , a RWB and another central defender
I would recall Silva and cancel Costa’s contract because , let’s be honest , he’s here for a laugh
As it stands we are simply positioning ourselves for immediate bounce back from the chump

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is it. Any player arriving now most likely wouldn't be available for the Villa game regardless, and the West Ham game is on the 14th. In an ideal world, we get a couple more in this week and they settle in time for that game next Saturday to be competing to start.

The cup games, even the quarter final, are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. There's also less than 72 hours between the Forest game and the West Ham game, so I wouldn't be surprised if we put a relatively weak side out for that game as well, because the West Ham game is a six pointer for us.

The four biggest priorities are seemingly a striker, centre back, right back and central midfielder, so if we can address a couple of those this week with quality additions I'd be delighted. It's not imperative that they're here today or tomorrow, but I would start to be concerned if we haven't done more business by the end of this week.

We also only play one more league game after West Ham in the month of January, and it's away at Man City. So the only relevant fixture this month aside from Villa where it's very unlikely any new signing would come in now and start straight away, is that West Ham game. It's also of note the first game after that Man City game is Liverpool at home. There's an entire month between when we play West Ham at home, and when we play Southampton away, to bed these new players in.

I'm not saying these are throw away games, but it would feel like a bigger priority if we had a run of "easy" fixtures - like Southampton, Bournemouth, Fulham, in successive games, which is what follows that Liverpool game. The Man City and Liverpool games are effectively a good way of bedding these players in at the deep end, so that they're ready for the run of six pointers that will follow.
Stop with all this common sense!

No one promised players by Jan 1st, not least because it would be impossible. They said they hoped to get 1-2 more. If they hadn't said anything then the same people would be crucifying them for 'not trying' and 'just tell us something'. Nothing that's said matters, what players we get and when we get them does.

Nothing we could do for Villa but that West Ham game is the big one. I'd be very disappointed if we went into that without one other new first team signing. If we don't, however, not the worst thing ever due to how fixtures line up anyway.

I'd seriously bring Silva back though. I think it's madness that we didn't recall him yesterday (if we could) - he should be straight in that first team for me.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stop with all this common sense!

No one promised players by Jan 1st, not least because it would be impossible. They said they hoped to get 1-2 more. If they hadn't said anything then the same people would be crucifying them for 'not trying' and 'just tell us something'. Nothing that's said matters, what players we get and when we get them does.

Nothing we could do for Villa but that West Ham game is the big one. I'd be very disappointed if we went into that without one other new first team signing. If we don't, however, not the worst thing ever due to how fixtures line up anyway.

I'd seriously bring Silva back though. I think it's madness that we didn't recall him yesterday (if we could) - he should be straight in that first team for me.
It was an absolute promise by Hobbs. He crossed his heart and everything. He did have his fingers crossed behind his back, though, so not sure which takes priority. :rolleyes:

Wolf_Words

Reaction score
Since we didn’t include a recall clause in Fabio’s loan, we’d have to negotiate a fee with Anderlecht to end the loan early and bring him back now. They could always just say no to any offer too if they are that desperate to keep him until the loan comes to an end.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How much would you be willing to pay Anderlecht to bring him back early?

Bear in mind that anything you spend on him is then taken out of our pot for January spending, obviously.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we’ll mostly continue playing a front 3. And I think Cunha will play the central role with Costa & Jimenez as backup/alternatives. So there seems little point in recalling Silva.
Next season Costa and Jimenez likely leave and Silva comes back to compete with Cunha for that position.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all well and good saying it takes time but we don't have it.

Our manager is calling every game a final - and I agree with him. So, we're going into another final with an under equipped squad against Aston Villa.

When Kaladzic was injured we knew we desperately needed a number nine, so we went and signed Costa outside of the window.

From the moment they knew Kaladzic was out for the season, planning begins on signing a striker.

So, they've had months. They've shown with Cunha that they will overpay and I don't actually doubt their intentions in terms of spending, it's just incompetence in getting the deals done with some of the people involved. The one deal we have got over the line is a Mendes one.

The same applies with a centre-back. Once the deal for Craig Dawson fell through, we knew we needed a centre-back in January. It's pure numbers. We simply lack the depth in that position.

Again, they've had months to get a deal for a defender lined up.

Those two positions had to be the priority for as soon as possible and they've not delivered.

(I'm not counting Cunha as a classic striker because he's evidently not by the fact we still want one).

They've risked this entire season on being complacent.

The season started earlier and we wasted a brilliant start on paper because the squad wasn't ready. Cue people on here telling us it didn't matter.

They wasted a favourable 5/6 game fixture list with an absolutely useless National League level coach in charge in Steve Davis.

I still don't think (some) people fully grasp how much trouble we are in. They seem to think we'll be alright and we might not. We need action now, stop making excuses for them.

Lawndog

Reaction score

Our manager is calling every game a final - and I agree with him. So, we're going into another final with an under equipped squad against Aston Villa.

When Kaladzic was injured we knew we desperately needed a number nine, so we went and signed Costa outside of the window.

From the moment they knew Kaladzic was out for the season, planning begins on signing a striker.

So, they've had months. They've shown with Cunha that they will overpay and I don't actually doubt their intentions in terms of spending, it's just incompetence in getting the deals done with some of the people involved. The one deal we have got over the line is a Mendes one.

The same applies with a centre-back. Once the deal for Craig Dawson fell through, we knew we needed a centre-back in January. It's pure numbers. We simply lack the depth in that position.

Those two positions had to be the priority for as soon as possible and they've not delivered.

(I'm not counting Cunha as a classic striker because he's evidently not by the fact we still want one).

The season started earlier and we wasted a brilliant start on paper because the squad wasn't ready. Cue people on here telling us it didn't matter.

They wasted a favourable 5/6 game fixture list with an absolutely useless National League level coach in charge in Steve Davis.

I still don't think (some) people fully grasp how much trouble we are in. They seem to think we'll be alright and we might not. We need action now, stop making excuses for them.
Well, when you put it like this it's hard to argue....

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed.

A centre back and right back should have already signed

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Couldn’t agree more.

daniel corfield

Groupie
Reaction score

proper educated post this.

all these people saying
"we're absolutely fine"
"once Lopetegui works his magic we will be OK"
"I've got no worry at all of relegation"

some people could be in for a nasty shock, we are deep deep in trouble.

but thats the thing with blindsided people, they will keep banging the same drum.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And an out and out striker.
We either want to take the gamble or give up

It’s hard to attract players in January but it’s make or break

We go down strip and start again or continue the rebuild that has happened since nuno left

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fantastically put. Agree 100%.

T

TheConcourse

Tough to disagree.

Some people are floating along in fantasy land, starry-eyed because we’ve landed Lopetegui.

Look at our form. Look at our output in both boxes this season. We’re in absolute crisis mode.

Even with JL we stumbled past Gillingham, got lucky against Everton and suffered a deserved loss against United.

Our 3 wins were largely out of control, with one inexplicable handball and a missed penalty.

We don’t have time. They need to have this squad sorted within 7-10 days. We simply cannot let this drag out through January, because February and March are where the points are going to come from.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much would you be willing to pay Anderlecht to bring him back early?

Bear in mind that anything you spend on him is then taken out of our pot for January spending, obviously.
I know it’s the rules but I still find it crazy that sides have to pay for the other club to give their own player back to them.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s the rules but I still find it crazy that sides have to pay for the other club to give their own player back to them.

Well, you can put a clause in when you loan the player out that they can be recalled.

But if the loaning club is paying a fee to get a player for a year, it's fair enough that they wouldn't be pulled away with no compensation - imagine if Jota or Raul had been called back in their first January with us!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, you can put a clause in when you loan the player out that they can be recalled.

But if the loaning club is paying a fee to get a player for a year, it's fair enough that they wouldn't be pulled away with no compensation - imagine if Jota or Raul had been called back in their first January with us!
Did Anderlecht pay a fee? Obviously that’s fair enough if they did.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Personally

I believe Lopetegui could keep the current squad up - they’ve underperformed, lost confidence and not been coached / motivated enough

Having said that
It is risky

So for me I am 100% sure he wouldn’t take the risk and won’t settle until we’ve brought in a centre half back up / starter, a right back and a striker

They may be loans, may be secondary or third targets and of course may take more time than on football manager. But Cunha should tell us one thing. Fosun / Lopetegui aren’t messing about now

Keep the faith
We’re all wanting a Percy bomb, it will come

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No need to panic. The quality of player is far more important than when they arrive in this window.

It’d be disappointing if we don’t have anyone else in by West Ham, but look at the schedule of our next league games this month…

Villa (A) 4th - No new signing realistically ready in time for this.

West Ham (H) 14th - The only game any new signing is likely to impact.

Man City (A) 21st - Probably hammer us regardless of who we sign.

Would you rather sign an average player now for the sake of one game, or wait till towards the end of the window and get potentially much better players in, knowing there’s only one fixture this month any new signing is likely to impact.

Transfers aren’t always black and white, there’s a lot of external factors to any potential deal especially during January.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dion Sanderson, apparently Rangers are interested, how come he does not figure in our plans?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No need to panic. The quality of player is far more important than when they arrive in this window.

It’d be disappointing if we don’t have anyone else in by West Ham, but look at the schedule of our next league games this month…

Villa (A) 4th - No new signing realistically ready in time for this.

West Ham (H) 14th - The only game any new signing is likely to impact.

Man City (A) 21st - Probably hammer us regardless of who we sign.

Would you rather sign an average player now for the sake of one game, or wait till towards the end of the window and get potentially much better players in, knowing there’s only one fixture this month any new signing is likely to impact.

Transfers aren’t always black and white, there’s a lot of external factors to any potential deal especially during January.
True but how long will it take to integrate those players and get them up to speed?

Back
Top Bottom