Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The longer this window goes on, the longer I think we need a target man centre forward, who is capable and proven to score goals at this level and the longer it goes on - I think that man is Michail Antonio.
Not with Danny Ings out injured.

We obviously need a target man centre forward but it won’t be Antonio.

I can’t think of any Premier centre forward who could join us off the top of my head. We would be taking a chance if we signed anyone from abroad, which makes me think that Gomes will be our last signing in this window and we carry on with our current strikers, being Sasa who is injured + Costa and Raul who haven’t scored one league goal this season!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's hope Sarabia and Cunha can somehow fill the void of goals that Costa and Jimenez will leave if that's our business done. Gomes looks like Neves's long term replacement that will have some time to bed in which is ideal, Lemina gives us some more immediate help (and dynanism) in Julen's preferred midfield three so a 36 year old isn't trotted out for 90 minutes every week, Dawson is an upgrade on Toti in a three and a valuable mentor for all of our centre backs with his experience. Bentley is a bit of a nothing signing.

A good window on the whole given the position we find ourselves in, but still feels like we're going to lack goals without a quality number leading the line. I hope in six months that decision doesn't come back to bite us in the **** because I don't see Julen managing us in the Championship, and it would be devastating for the "project" in general, especially knowing that £45m for Cunha will kick in next season.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with the signings but is it me or is over half our squad composed of holding midfielders and wingers?! :/

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have gone from
Neves Mouts Donk Cundle
To
Neves Mouts Boob Hodge Nunes Lemina Gomes

Are there many better midfields in the world? If only we had an Odergaard or KDB

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very surprised fabio hasn't come back just for the option but presumably Lop believes we'll create and score more with our new signings and neto to return.

Hope he's right!

Six decent signings in january tho - 3-4 first team, 1 up and coming, and keeper cover. Other than our goalscorer issue, that's impressive.

All done a few days before deadline day too. Remember those jan 3rd moaning? Wolves deserve some credit here. Assuming we don't lose neves this window...

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's he like?

After João Gomes, Wolves also want to take Pulgar from Flamengo. Initially, they would like to have the player on loan and a fixed transfer, according to the Birmingham Mail

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting window, in that the majority of the signings, with only probably the exception of Dawson and that GK, don’t feel like short term, get us out the **** signings. Feels like Lopetegui is really planning ahead to next season and beyond.

Suprised we haven’t seen a few go too tbh, although I guess there is still time.

The reliance on one last hurrah from Costa and / or Raul though worries me more than little. Huge few months ahead.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gotta feel for bouba a bit....was just getting into it and gets injured , then we sign 2 midfielders pushing him to probably 6th place in the pecking order..... we only had 3 midfielders last season....
I somehow feel we are preparing for next season, when we will probably be without Neves, Moutinho and (probably) Nunes, and are back to 4 midfield options for 2/3 places, inc Hodge.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
I somehow feel we are preparing for next season, when we will probably be without Neves, Moutinho and (probably) Nunes, and are back to 4 midfield options for 2/3 places, inc Hodge.
I think going forward JL will want 6 midfielders competing for his preferred 3 in midfield. 2 strong players competing for every position is what JL will want. See Sa/Bentley. Squad rotation and horses for courses will keep everyone happy. So if we lose Neves, Moutinho, and Nunes, I expect JL to recruit what is necessary to maintain 6 strong midfielders.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think going forward JL will want 6 midfielders competing for his preferred 3 in midfield. 2 strong players competing for every position is what JL will want. See Sa/Bentley. Squad rotation and horses for courses will keep everyone happy. So if we lose Neves, Moutinho, and Nunes, I expect JL to recruit what is necessary to maintain 6 strong midfielders.
It’s the only way to maintain the ‘high energy’ game isn’t it? Prevents everyone being knackered in a few weeks.

Nivada

Reaction score
Interesting window, in that the majority of the signings, with only probably the exception of Dawson and that GK, don’t feel like short term, get us out the **** signings. Feels like Lopetegui is really planning ahead to next season and beyond.

Suprised we haven’t seen a few go too tbh, although I guess there is still time.

The reliance on one last hurrah from Costa and / or Raul though worries me more than little. Huge few months ahead.
I'd argue Lemina, Dawson and Sarabia are short term get us to safety signings

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd argue Lemina, Dawson and Sarabia are short term get us to safety signings
I would argue exactly the sort of short term 18/24 months squad fillers we have missed , numbers wise for 2/3 seasons......we've always been scared or against these sort of players for some reason......we should have been all over Dawson 2 seasons ago......

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would argue exactly the sort of short term 18/24 months squad fillers we have missed , numbers wise for 2/3 seasons......we've always been scared or against these sort of players for some reason......we should have been all over Dawson 2 seasons ago......
I agree - these signings simply highlight the inept decision making over recent windows - whether going all in on Fabio, letting Coady, Saiss and Boly all go in one window, appointing Lage….the list goes on. The best thing that has happened to us in recent times is finding ourselves in a massive hole thus allowing JL to be able to dictate his terms which appear to include fairly far reaching influence.

Last edited:

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am impressed and somewhat surprised that we are attracting so many apparently decent players when we are in a relegation battle; I guess this is the draw of having a decent manager; but we don’t seem to be selling many so presumably the books will be balanced in the summer when Julen completes the process.
It occurred to me that Neves is our longest serving senior player, unless I have forgotten somebody, who would have thought that would happen when he first signed?

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am impressed and somewhat surprised that we are attracting so many apparently decent players when we are in a relegation battle; I guess this is the draw of having a decent manager; but we don’t seem to be selling many so presumably the books will be balanced in the summer when Bruno completes the process.
It occurred to me that Neves is our longest serving senior player, unless I have forgotten somebody, who would have thought that would happen when he first signed?
Think you will see with 3 contracts up

Costa Moutinho Traore

Plus debates over raul and then hwang.

We could have a turn over of 5 players maybe bring in another 2

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think you will see with 3 contracts up

Costa Moutinho Traore

Plus debates over raul and then hwang.

We could have a turn over of 5 players maybe bring in another 2
I am not worried if all we lose this summer are Costa, Moutinho, Traore, Hwang and Jimenez. In fact, they could go now and we wouldn't miss them. I would be more concerned if we lost Neves or Nunes.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not worried if all we lose this summer are Costa, Moutinho, Traore, Hwang and Jimenez. In fact, they could go now and we wouldn't miss them. I would be more concerned if we lost Neves or Nunes.
Id be inclined to say we will lose all 7 mate but with already plans to replace.

Moutinho - hodge/cundle/ new

Traore/Hwang - sarabia/neto/chiquinho

Costa - Sasa

Raul - new

Neves - Gomes / lemina

Nunes - New / traore

Back
Top Bottom