Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jamie O’Hara and mental health in Football

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't believe it when he said Haaland isn't all that, the other day.
I’ve heard and read that a lot by loads of people. The pick of the bunch, and I’m not sure who wrote it, was; ‘apart from the goals, Haaland is rubbish’
Okay then. :tearsofjoy:

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So he had a lot of injury problems? Sad to hear. Hate that for any pro. Sounds like he got awful care and it derailed his career.

busbcadd

Reaction score
I don’t see how anyone who has lived 30+ years can watch this and not have sympathy with the guy. We all go through phases in our lives that we look back on and wonder what we were doing. He’s honest about his own mistakes, open about his hurt and anger, and grateful to the people who helped him. He might be someone who likes media attention, but that pays his bills these days, and in this case it also draws attention to fact that what you see on the surface doesn’t tell you what’s happening underneath. It’s a strong message that we should all be aware of in all aspects of our life.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He behaved terribly badly and on the surface he looked like a prize one ****. The fans were not told it was a mental health issue so I dont think you could balme them for their dislike of him. .
The is a train of thought that anyone that behaves badly has mental health issues and that could be true.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I take thats a 'not possible' then. Glad thats sorted.

Oooo miaow. Take what you want, sort what you want,interpret what you want, it's not important. I don't have time to sit here all day getting involved in tittle-tattle with a moderator who's trolling me !

Reactions: Ian

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see how anyone who has lived 30+ years can watch this and not have sympathy with the guy. We all go through phases in our lives that we look back on and wonder what we were doing. He’s honest about his own mistakes, open about his hurt and anger, and grateful to the people who helped him. He might be someone who likes media attention, but that pays his bills these days, and in this case it also draws attention to fact that what you see on the surface doesn’t tell you what’s happening underneath. It’s a strong message that we should all be aware of in all aspects of our life.

This is the point, he's had a sharp comedown from his previous position, but was he all that good anyway? Spurs got rid because of injuries, his back was stuffed before he joined us...we built him up into some sort of saviour when he was just a young lad with about 70 games behind him and was by then injury prone.
Nobody knows how mental health difficulties can manifest themselves in high pressure situations that cause anxiety, either social or workplace-related.
Having heard him speak now, he's as far away from a "Champagne Charlie" as is possible, yet he ended up with glamour-model wife and being dragged to showbiz events where he looked like a fish out of water. Maybe he knew it wasn't him, maybe he felt a fraud, maybe he knew he wasn't going to have a long career and the money would dry up, maybe he knew his wife wasn't right for him long term.
It's a different kind of pressure not having to get up and work on a building site from 6am on a winter's morning, but it's still difficult to deal with and only the individual knows that, men are very very bad at speaking about their feelings which is why there's a big suicide rate in young men...and i am positive everybody on here knows of somebody who's killed themselves in circumstances that have caused shock. Is it worth somebody taking their own life, just to keep digging at them ?
That's why it's not right to ask people to firstly understand mental health difficulties, then criticise the actions that arise from it. Nobody knows.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The is a train of thought that anyone that behaves badly has mental health issues and that could be true.
There is a common trend for anyone that behaves badly to then blame ‘ mental health issues’ ……
No surprise many of us take those claims with a pinch of salt…. Especially those of us involved in the mental health field.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Oooo miaow. Take what you want, sort what you want,interpret what you want, it's not important. I don't have time to sit here all day getting involved in tittle-tattle with a moderator who's trolling me !
You’re doing it again. How am I trolling you?
Keeping in mind that you initiated this by stating I’d said something that I clearly hadn't, and now you’re accusing me of trolling you for pointing that out? Dear god.

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unfortunately, people will rarely get sympathy and understanding for mental health issues. It’s invisible and people who have not suffered themselves, will only see what the person, materialistically, has through their own eyes..

He’s rich.. he’s playing football for a living.. he has his pick of the birds.. etc..

Of course, a big part of mental health is guilt.. guilt from knowing you should be happy, that you don’t have it bad, so why can’t I be happy? Why can’t I be thankful?

The brains a super-computer and if it turns on you, then there isn’t much you can do about it.

Great post.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is important.

We all want to be understanding about mental health, and increasingly are. But it's also perfectly possible for someone to be a ****head and have mental health issues. That doesn't absolve them from being a ****head.
That's an interesting one. Someone who used to be close to me had mental health issues and behaved in an appalling way which they hadn't previously. The obvious thing was to blame the illness. However certain comments suggested that, at least at times, it was being used as a very convenient excuse. Very hard to know, let alone prove, either way.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the point, he's had a sharp comedown from his previous position, but was he all that good anyway? Spurs got rid because of injuries, his back was stuffed before he joined us...we built him up into some sort of saviour when he was just a young lad with about 70 games behind him and was by then injury prone.
Nobody knows how mental health difficulties can manifest themselves in high pressure situations that cause anxiety, either social or workplace-related.
Having heard him speak now, he's as far away from a "Champagne Charlie" as is possible, yet he ended up with glamour-model wife and being dragged to showbiz events where he looked like a fish out of water. Maybe he knew it wasn't him, maybe he felt a fraud, maybe he knew he wasn't going to have a long career and the money would dry up, maybe he knew his wife wasn't right for him long term.
It's a different kind of pressure not having to get up and work on a building site from 6am on a winter's morning, but it's still difficult to deal with and only the individual knows that, men are very very bad at speaking about their feelings which is why there's a big suicide rate in young men...and i am positive everybody on here knows of somebody who's killed themselves in circumstances that have caused shock. Is it worth somebody taking their own life, just to keep digging at them ?
That's why it's not right to ask people to firstly understand mental health difficulties, then criticise the actions that arise from it. Nobody knows.
That is a really good post.

TheWolfFromWolverhampton

Reaction score
I have a lot of empathy for Jamie, if he has struggled with mental health. And was dissapointed Kenny Jacket shouted at him for ages after that one game. Kenny Jacket wasn't a good manager. So when managers have a go at players. Instead of looking at their own tactics. Wasn't Kenny Jacket called Mr Tinkerer for a reason. Because his football management skills were questionable at a lot of times.

Back
Top Bottom