Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is this season's squad better than last season's?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading Jeff's comments in the Athletic got me thinking: how many of us agree the squad is better?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume the following:

In:
Sa
Hwang
Mosquera
Bolla
Trincao

Out:
Patricio
Otasowie
Gibbs White
Vitinha
Willian Jose

I've ignored Mir and Cutrone as they didn't play last season.

Also, in terms of player injury and progression, let's assume the following:

+
Kilman is much better
Jimenez is fit
Silva, Ait-Nouri, Hooever etc. are developing as players
Marcal is (touch wood) fit

-
Moutinho is another year older and ageing (presumably) is catching up with him
Neto is (for now) injured

In my mind, it is better, but marginally. If Trincao and Hwang are superstars in the making, we're sitting pretty. If not - and if Moutinho and the other older players begin to decline - we are not.

Interested to hear what others think.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Reading Jeff's comments in the Athletic got me thinking: how many of us agree the squad is better?

In:
Sa
Hwang
Mosquera
Bolla
Trincao

Out:
Patricio
Otasowie
Gibbs White
Vitinha
Willian Jose

+
Kilman is much better
Jimenez is fit

-

In my mind, it is better, but marginally. If Trincao and Hwang are superstars in the making, we're sitting pretty. If not - and if Moutinho and the other older players begin to decline - we are not.

It's better but not enough to massively change our prospects for the season imo. Maybe like a 10 % upgrade

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's better but not enough to massively change our prospects for the season imo. Maybe like a 10 % upgrade
That's how I see it too tbh. An improvement, for sure, but not a huge one. Perhaps that's enough? Depends on the ambitions I guess

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted no overall but i believe in some areas i think the players have improved if that makes sense. I just cant see how we can have less to select from and be better, especially when you think we will lose Saiss and Boly for a spell.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately the squad is unbalanced sign a centre midfielder and yes I'd say it is definitely stronger.... but going into a premier league season with only 3 centre midfielders is real poor planning...

If we had just signed one more player I think a large section of the fanbase would have been content with the activity but unfortunately like a lot of things this summer the club, Fosun, Shi haven't helped themselves....

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted no overall but i believe in some areas i think the players have improved if that makes sense. I just cant see how we can have less to select from and be better, especially when you think we will lose Saiss and Boly for a spell.
I was going to include the Afcon, but (correct me if I'm wrong), it's after the next transfer window so there is (theoretically) time to address it then

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It depends how the central midfield holds out, a couple of injuries and we are knackered.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I find most concerning is I genuinely believe the squad of 2018-2019 is better than the squad of 2021-2022.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's happened to Neves?
Kilman makes us a lot better at the back compared to him being inexperienced start of last season. And being more attacking maybe takes pressure off the back 4/5.
Being more attacking and pressing probably means more injuries, so that has to be taken into account.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to include the Afcon, but (correct me if I'm wrong), it's after the next transfer window so there is (theoretically) time to address it then

I have a feeling they leave in december, but i could be getting it wrong.

Its quite interesting having a re-listen to the ask Wolves interviews again. Decided to do it on my way to work and Sellars clearly states we will have a bigger squad this season and its not the case( and he also said having a small squad is our model ).

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Neto and Jonny fully fit I think our squad is quality. What a difference they will make when they return!

Just want to see the central defender and attacking midfielder added and it would be ‘top‘ quality.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably about the same. We have extra attacking and defensive options when everyone is fit (although the quality isn't really improved in defence) but the midfield looks weaker and the depth there is scarily thin.

I think that is the most frustrating thing. We were probably a midfield signing away from it being a good window. It was the position most people thought we needed to strengthen the most. Yet it has been missed and could be a disaster if we pick up a few injuries.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I’ve put about the same we’ve added kwang and obviously Jimenez being back is a major boost. Midfield is the glaring issue as has been pointed out numerous times.

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stronger for me overall, but like most I am concerned about our lack of options/numbers in central midfield

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Too difficult to make a sweeping statement like the entire squad is better or worse. Last year we were okay in some areas, short in some areas and weak in some others. This year we're okay in some we were weak in, weaker in some we were okay in and some areas we remain weak in.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my perhaps overly critical opinion the players we’ve brought in aren’t an improvement on the players they’re replacing:

Sa = a downgrade on Rui Patricio

RAN = a downgrade on Jonny*

Trincao = a downgrade on Neto*

Mosquera = a great prospect, hard to know if he’s an improvement on any of the back three, yet

Appreciate that it’s great to be in a position to be able to be critical of such exciting players, but my gut feel is the squad is weaker than it was last season, and at best no stronger than it was.

*I’m assigning these two as direct replacements because they effectively will have to be for at least 2/3 of the season.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like most on here i feel we are a CMF short,but overall the squad is slightly stronger
Lack of goals is our problem right now,but we have had plenty of chances so that should change
Defence has been strong and Sa is a decent keeper more suited to how we want to play imo
Our biggest problem has to be in midfield,one good addition there would have made the squad much stronger overall

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In:
Sa
Hwang
Mosquera
Bolla
Trincao

Out:
Patricio
Otasowie
Gibbs White
Vitinha
Willian Jose

+
Kilman is much better
Jimenez is fit

-

Very fair summary.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my perhaps overly critical opinion the players we’ve brought in aren’t an improvement on the players they’re replacing:

Sa = a downgrade on Rui Patricio

RAN = a downgrade on Jonny*

Trincao = a downgrade on Neto*

Mosquera = a great prospect, hard to know if he’s an improvement on any of the back three, yet

Appreciate that it’s great to be in a position to be able to be critical of such exciting players, but my gut feel is the squad is weaker than it was last season, and at best no stronger than it was.

*I’m assigning these two as direct replacements because they effectively will have to be for at least 2/3 of the season.
They are all still in the squad though so RAN and Trincao are additions not replacements. When they are back those areas will be very strong.

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
Accounting for departures/acquisitions and development i'd say:

Gk: on par
Def/wing backs: minor improvement
CM: minor deterioration but extremely vulnerable to major deterioration
Wingers: moderate improvement
CF: minor deterioration given Silva is improved but still not at minimum standard required and Jimenez is still recovering.

Edit: I still don't know where Hwang fits in so i've gone with secondary forward [out wide or no. 10]. If he's a CF then CF upto moderate improvement and wingers down to minor improvement to account for only Trincao addition.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately the squad is unbalanced sign a centre midfielder and yes I'd say it is definitely stronger.... but going into a premier league season with only 3 centre midfielders is real poor planning...

If we had just signed one more player I think a large section of the fanbase would have been content with the activity but unfortunately like a lot of things this summer the club, Fosun, Shi haven't helped themselves....
We're fine at the back and if Jimenez continues to improve, fine in attack. Mf is a massive worry for me. I really want us to have a go in the Cups this year but with 3 recognised mfs I don't see it happening; Bruno will have to use the kids for these games which weakens the team. And, of course, If Neves or Moutinho get crocked we're right in the ****.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s not better overall, but it is in 1 area, but also weaker in 1 area.

GK- Different but the same.
Defence- Slightly better (Mosquera) but it could have been transformed (Botman/Caleta Car)
Midfield- Weaker. No Vitinha, Otasowie or Gibbs White
Forwards- A lot stronger (Trincao and Hwang)

Overall it’s not progress, just moving sidewards by stealing from 1 area to strengthen another. 2 players (Sanches and Botman) and the team would have been top quality in every department.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are all still in the squad though so RAN and Trincao are additions not replacements. When they are back those areas will be very strong.

For this season they are replacements though.

It was a tricky summer for the board I’ll give them that. A pre-injury Raul, a fully fit Neto and Jonny, plus a Boly that could stay injury free then realistically we’re 1-2 players from a very good squad. Problem is that’s not the case and there’s a very real chance none of those players could be the same again.

Hopefully they’re all back fit and firing again soon though.

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
If all of the squad were fit and available then yes we have a stronger squad than last season. As has been said a million times, our Achilles heel is that there aren't sufficient numbers in the squad, hence we're suffering more with key players injury/form (Neto, Jimenez, Jonny).

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite a lot better as we played most of last season without Jiminez. The choices at centre back have improved. Hwang and Trincao in and the only people we lost were on loan players. I am not sure how people cannot see that the squad is significantly improved.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're stronger in some areas and weak in others.
Hwang and Trincao looks good, Raul and Podence back, gives us good attacking options. In defence we are marginally better as Marcal is not injured and has started well, while Kilman has improved and Mosquera looks a good prospect. Semedo also seems to look better in Lages formation.
In midfield we're weaker of course. Not only have we lost 3 backup players, leaving us threadbare, but Moutinho is also a year older and then there is Dendoncker who I do rate, but doesn't really fit Lages style very well. It's of course a plus that both Neves and Moutinho have looked better in Lages formation, than we've seen them for a while.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In:
Sa
Hwang
Mosquera
Bolla
Trincao

Out:
Patricio
Otasowie
Gibbs White
Vitinha
Willian Jose

+
Kilman is much better
Jimenez is fit

-

Too many unknowns about the players coming in;

Trincao started poorly but looked decent against Utd.
Bolla won't play so it's irrelevant.
Mosquera hasn't played yet, so unsure.
Hwang is also an unknown quantity.
Sa is a downgrade on Rui.

For players out; only Rui will be missed.

Injury and progression; agree with you, but for me the jury is still out on Silva and Hoever. RAN looked better with a run in the side so hope he continues his progression. Jimenez still needs to get up to speed and prove he is over the head injury, both physically and mentally. Marcal has looked solid so far.

Mouts is a year older, but still a first pick for Portugal! Make of that what you will.

Like most, we are marginally better, but will be closer to the bottom than the top of the league imo. The next two matches are massive to determine whether Lage ball is effective against two teams who will be in and around us throughout the season.

Sanewolf

Reaction score
If Neves or Moutinho gets injured, no our squad is not better and we in real trouble.

If they both stay fit all season I would say it is a slight improvement.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I think we have problems scoring goals.

I find it funny how people regularly state that’s too early to worry about zero points after three games but apparently the club and the fans think 3 games (all of which we lost) is enough to mark out Kilman as the new Bobby Moore?

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The question is about the squad, injuries are irrelevant to this specific question as injured players are still squad members. They do effect our ability to put out a team and a quality bench of course and we have suffered but IMO we have a considerably stronger squad and are just missing the last couple of pieces.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've voted for "about the same" but think it has ever so slightly improved.

Not anywhere near enough to make me happy with the transfer window though.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went about the same because the actual quality of the players hasn’t improved just like for like signings and young players

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've voted for "about the same" but think it has ever so slightly improved.

Not anywhere near enough to make me happy with the transfer window though.
That's what I feel too.

Be interesting to see what other fans felt about their clubs.

From my Wolves perspective, it seems like the top top clubs have strengthened well, West Ham and Leicester have strengthened well, and everyone else has treaded water.

In fact, it's odd that we haven't lost a big player as most clubs one would expect to finish around us have.

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a slightly improved squad but its also more imbalalanced. As discussed to death on here, signing one CM would address the imbalance.

While im not unhappy with the window, nor am i satisfied.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
We have a new first team goalkeeper one level down from Rui and he has cost us in the Tottenham and Man Utd game. So our squad is not better.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a new first team goalkeeper one level down from Rui and he has cost us in the Tottenham and Man Utd game. So our squad is not better.
I'm as of yet undecided on Sa.

I think he's been integral to our attacking play (oddly enough). The way he starts attacks and mops up behind Coady is actually really impressive and a bit step up on Rui.

But, as you correctly identify, he's made 2 mistakes in 3 games. He's made some big saves too, but 2 mistakes in 3 games is poor for any goalkeeper.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not including serious injuries at the time.

Best Starting XI (Transfer window 2020 closure):​

Patrício

Boly - Coady - Saïss

Semedo - Neves - Moutinho - Marçal

Traoré - Jiménez - Neto
Best Starting XI (Transfer window 2021 closure):​

Boly - Coady - Saïss

Trincão - Jiménez - Traoré
Reserve XI:
Ruddy

Dendoncker - Marques - Kilman

Hoever - Jordao - Vitinha - Aït-Nouri

Podence
Silva - Jose
Reserve XI:
Ruddy

Mosquera - Marques- Kilman

Hoever - Dendoncker - Cundle - Aït-Nouri

Podence
Silva - Hwang

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not including serious injuries at the time.

Best Starting XI (Transfer window 2020 closure):​

Patrício

Boly - Coady - Saïss

Traoré - Jiménez - Neto​
Best Starting XI (Transfer window 2021 closure):​

Boly - Coady - Saïss

Trincão - Jiménez - Traoré​
Reserve XI:
Ruddy

Dendoncker - Marques - Kilman

Hoever - Jordao - Vitinha - Aït-Nouri

Podence
Silva - Jose​
Reserve XI:
Ruddy

Mosquera - Marques- Kilman

Hoever - Dendoncker - Cundle - Aït-Nouri

Podence
Silva - Hwang​

I just ran that match through the latest "AI machine learning football match simulator - 100% accurate". The result was 0-0. Last seasons team sat back and defended, creating nothing other than an Adama breakaway that he sent into Row Z. This seasons team had 70% possession and created lots of chances, though hardly actually tested Patricio, the best chance being an Adama breakaway that he sent into Row Z.

Interestingly enough, the simulator also models VAR decisions and this caused the program to get stuck when, in the 83rd simulated minute, Saiss took Trincao out with a 2 footed lunge. The ref missed it and VAR went into an infinite loop of "IF decision benefits Wolves THEN ignore VAR. IF decision hurts Wolves THEN accept VAR ". Of course ,with 2 Wolves teams on the pitch, this caused a paradox that couldn't even be solved by the AI Peter Walton, who agreed with both decision and non-decision, again causing an infinite loop. The problem was resolved by manually changing Trincao's name to "Bruno Fernandes". Instant penalty! However, Raul being subbed at this point, the penalty was taken by Neves, who sent it 20 feet wide. "That's unlike Neves" said the AI commentator, "we know how lethal he is".

They have the AI modelling so good that, just like Premier League, most of the discussion is around VAR, not the football.

Back
Top Bottom