Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is this how it is

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is how i see it, i may be cynical but non the less here we go

Fosun a business would like to be able to make money out of the rich Premiership industry, if they can get a side promoted then all well and good. If not they can still make money by using the club to filter players from an agent who they have interest in into the system. Some of these players will make it and attract big transfer fees some will not.

Are we becoming a filter/vehicle for Fosun to extract premier money?, are the players fishes in a bigger pond? Where does that leave us?

Ill duck and get me coat

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the crux of it. An investment company will hedge its bets and that is what Fosun are doing.

At best we will eventually get promoted as the right players, coaches, poor Championship, lack of injuries, all come together for nine months.

At worst we will stay up each season on a low budget and sell at a huge profit those one or two players that Mendes feeds us.

M

Mr Wolf

FFS they make £500m sheer profit how many players would they have to sell to make anything remotely touching that figure?

They are here because their ****ing Chinese leader whoever the **** it is said buy some football clubs across the World so about half a dozen business leaders obliged. That is about it, we got picked because of the exact reasons they gave when they bought us. Solid club, good history, good potential & an easy non complicated sale as football club go.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFS they make £500m sheer profit how many players would they have to sell to make anything remotely touching that figure?

They are here because their ****ing Chinese leader whoever the **** it is said buy some football clubs across the World so about half a dozen business leaders obliged. That is about it, we got picked because of the exact reasons they gave when they bought us. Solid club, good history, good potential & an easy non complicated sale as football club go.
Bang on

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is growing massively in China too at the moment and foreign clubs are becoming the must have accessories for the mega rich!

A lot is made about Fosun's stake in Gestefute (Mendes' agency) too and how this is a conflict of interest. I don't think they have a stake in his business to make money (but that is an added bonus), I think it's so they can call on his expertise at any time.

If it was just a casual business relationship, why would one of the most in-demand and powerful people in the game give a Chinese investment company any of his time? If they are stakeholders, you have to give them attention! I think Wolves will ultimately benefit from the fact Fosun have a stake in his agency as he will spend more time with us than our status would usually command.

D

Deleted member 4456

Fosun are not investing in football to make money from it - how many times?!! There's much better things to invest in

It's about growing Chinese soft power and influence
The Cirque du Soleil is probably the best example of this in terms of FOSUN. It lost millions over the course of decades and those losses were underwritten by the French Canadian government because it was too important culturally to let go of. These days, FOSUN pick up the tab because it's a powerful vehicle for influencing people through entertainment. They intend to use football in the same way.

M

Mr Wolf

Fosun are not investing in football to make money from it - how many times?!! There's much better things to invest in

It's about growing Chinese soft power and influence
Yet people still think they are some tin bit company looking to turn a small profit. Mendes & Fosun are with us to grow as business/club together & if it helps Fosun they will use that for their other business interests also.

Thy didn't spend £20m on 2 of Mendes players whilst his agency made less than £1m from Wolves because of the money they could make did they?

codsallwolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think some ideas are too big for some minds!! Dont worry about it... Just worry where Dave or Lambert are going to ply their trades next season...

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is how i see it, i may be cynical but non the less here we go

Fosun a business would like to be able to make money out of the rich Premiership industry, if they can get a side promoted then all well and good. If not they can still make money by using the club to filter players from an agent who they have interest in into the system. Some of these players will make it and attract big transfer fees some will not.

Are we becoming a filter/vehicle for Fosun to extract premier money?, are the players fishes in a bigger pond? Where does that leave us?

Ill duck and get me coat

Fosun are worth £48 billion

Do you think they would expend time and effort from senior execs on trying to squeeze a couple of extra million out of football transfers?

Though it's hard to get our heads round it, Wolves represent great VALUE, not PROFIT - i.e. For relatively small outlay (compared to Man Utd etc) they could have club in the most watched league in the world

That's why they truly do not give a toss about this manager or that moaning about control. Just keep going until it clicks

Extremely difficult for us old fashioned types to get our heads round but it offers us the fastest route possible back to the big time, like it or not

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again? Fosun have already invested approaching £70million. How can they make any sort of profit on a Championship club. And that ignores the losses of just day to day running.

T

Torcher

Fosun mean business, and there's a real chance for Wolves to do something big under their ownership; as time goes on I think this will become more apparent, more so when Premier league status is achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Agreed. The FOSUN investment in Wolves is small beer to them and you can't look at it on a stand-alone basis and through a purely financial prism as I'm pretty sure they won't be.

It's no coincidence that West Brom, Blues and Villa have also all been sold to Chinese owners in the last 18 months following the highly ambitious plans for football set out by Xi Jinping in late 2015. The amount of money being thrown at football in China is staggering. The real money to be made here will be in the Chinese domestic football market and there's clearly a lot of conglomerates jockeying to be in a good position to exploit this fully over the coming decade

S

ShropshireLad

Quite the opposite, mate. The Chinese leadership are concerned about the kind of finance going on with their multi-national companies and the money laundering they're involved in. They've actually put a stop to further foreign sports investment and some leading businessmen are behind bars. One of Fosun's directors is being investigated according to a report I read recently.
Just found this link as well:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...of-chinas-fosun-group-vanishes-guo-guangchang

It's the second time he's been carted away for interrogation. At the end of 2015 he was detained for some time but later released.

M

Mr Wolf

Quite the opposite, mate. The Chinese leadership are concerned about the kind of finance going on with their multi-national companies and the money laundering they're involved in. They've actually put a stop to further foreign sports investment and some leading businessmen are behind bars. One of Fosun's directors is being investigated according to a report I read recently.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...of-chinas-fosun-group-vanishes-guo-guangchang
It's not the opposite because that's what was said & that link is years old.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's the second time he's been carted away for interrogation. At the end of 2015 he was detained for some time but later released.

It's not the second time, it's the same time

S

ShropshireLad

It's not the opposite because that's what was said & that link is years old.
I know it's an old link but someone recently was being investigated according to the item I read a few days ago. The Chinese government have put a block on overseas investment of this kind as I said.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing I don't really get about Fosun and Gestifute ie the Mendes relationship is why with the great swathes of players at Mendes disposal were we given what we were given?

If you think about it last summer we were handed

1 - early twenties winger without much experience who'd been at Monaco

1 - slightly younger winger on loan from benfica who's only real experience was a loan at Monaco

1 - injury prone defender (admittedly former international) on a free from atletico

1 - unproven attacking midfielder from benficas b team

We don't know how much of a hand he had in some of the other signings and how much was Buttis advice from his time at Monaco but if I was Fosun/Mendes and we'd just bought a club we needed to be promoted I'd sort some better quality than that, even on short term deals and pay them through other fees if need be.

I'm not taking cristiano Ronaldo standard but surely Mendes could have thrown us some current internationals, guys not at the big 3 in Portugal with the promise of a decent move once the job was done at wolves

T

Torcher

Tony Xia tweeted something about the Chinese government putting a stop to money being used to buy foreign football team, and I was surprised more wasn't made about it, as a lot of clubs are still being linked with Chinese takeovers in the media. Whether it's a good thing for those of us who already have Chinese owners I'm not sure.

S

ShropshireLad

Okay - please prove me wrong but I don't think the recent one was Fosun - I think I read the same article as you
I've done a Google search but couldn't find anything but I think it was on here that I read the item.

S

ShropshireLad

Tony Xia tweeted something about the Chinese government putting a stop to money being used to buy foreign football team, and I was surprised more wasn't made about it, as a lot of clubs are still being linked with Chinese takeovers in the media. Whether it's a good thing for those of us who already have Chinese owners I'm not sure.
I read an article in the Times a week ago which briefly mentioned it in connection with corruption and money laundering.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its apparent we are are sticking with the Mendes connection for players, what level of player is he going to recommend?, i suppose Mendes would want the players to do well which intern means we will do well

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club is a keyless asylum.

Terminally confused, haunted souls wandering cold corridors after midnight in **** stained white smocks crying out for dead relatives and lost lovers.

'Tower to cuckoo's nest. I repeat, tower to cuckoo's nest. Are you receiving....'

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved working with Fosun. They always seemed very switched on, knew exactly what they wanted and didn't take a lack of performance. I hope they are the same with us.

F

FLEET WOLF

I loved working with Fosun. They always seemed very switched on, knew exactly what they wanted and didn't take a lack of performance. I hope they are the same with us.
Well so far they aren't like that!

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eze lavezzi highest paid in the world 798 grand a week, tevez 650 odd, graziano Pele 300 a week wow

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bang on Mr Wolf.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing I don't really get about Fosun and Gestifute ie the Mendes relationship is why with the great swathes of players at Mendes disposal were we given what we were given?

If you think about it last summer we were handed

1 - early twenties winger without much experience who'd been at Monaco

1 - slightly younger winger on loan from benfica who's only real experience was a loan at Monaco

1 - injury prone defender (admittedly former international) on a free from atletico

1 - unproven attacking midfielder from benficas b team

We don't know how much of a hand he had in some of the other signings and how much was Buttis advice from his time at Monaco but if I was Fosun/Mendes and we'd just bought a club we needed to be promoted I'd sort some better quality than that, even on short term deals and pay them through other fees if need be.

I'm not taking cristiano Ronaldo standard but surely Mendes could have thrown us some current internationals, guys not at the big 3 in Portugal with the promise of a decent move once the job was done at wolves
re your last sentence; current internationals, by and large, do not need a move to the English second division.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RE OP I don't think its very complicated. They saw Wolves, quite rightly, as performing well below their potential with plenty of upside potential under the right guidance and financial input. The project over perhaps 3 years is to get Wolves into the Premiership, keep them there and then market them in China and elsewhere around the world. Its a very attractive potential brand.. Eventually that will lead to making some decent money and perhaps at some point to a lucrative sale. If the club is successful it reflects well on Fosun. The link up with Mendes is a way of trying to speed up the process and get an edge on competitors. Not going great up till now but its early days. The next management appointment and summer transfer business will, of course, be pivotal. Despite recent disappointments and mistakes I remain optimistic.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather Wolves be run as a business than an emotional project, the former will surely lead to informed evidence based decisions being taken rather than the latter which produces ill thought decisions of passion so to speak (see Morgan's dressing room rant after the Liverpool defeat, effectively undermining the manager's authority from that point forward).

Not to mention that if FOSUN want to make as much money as possible from Wolves (which is natural as it's an investment company) then we quite simply have to be in the Premier League.

Gornal

Reaction score
Again? Fosun have already invested approaching £70million. How can they make any sort of profit on a Championship club. And that ignores the losses of just day to day running.

Apart from the purchase price where is the evidence Fosun have invested a penny in the club? In my opinion it's far more likely have just piled up debt on the club.
I'll wait until the accounts are published before i believe they have invested anything.

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
FFS they make £500m sheer profit how many players would they have to sell to make anything remotely touching that figure?.

Fosun are worth £48 billion

Are both of these figures correct ? If so, their return on capital is only just over 1%. Thats not the phenomenal return thats often spoke of; they make large profits but only because they have so much invested in the first place.

If we accept that they've paid £30 million to buy the club, they only need to make a profit of £300,000 to achieve this rate of return. That's easily achievable, even if we accept that Mendes was only paid £1m (the biggest payment to him would have been from Costa's purchase which I don't think is included in the Agent's fees reported of £1.5m), that's £200k straight off that Fosun have received.

Back
Top Bottom