Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is the world facing fundamental changes?

Salisbury Wolf

Reaction score
Interesting piece here from the BBC Business section.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14583201

Closer to home, I think we could be close to seeing the end of the Eurozone as we know it. Even though Merkel has been keen to pump money in, the German people are getting a bit $$$$ed off. A recent poll in Die Zeit had 75% of the population opposed to any more bailouts for Europe. There is only so much public pressure Merkel can take before she has to backtrack. Could there be a return to sovereign currencies, or a new two tier Eurozone emerge from the mess?

A

Apocalypse Now

I think the criticism of the BoE is a bit wide of the mark. They were possibly slow to reduce rates at the start of the crisis but there isn't one serious economist who believes rates should be increased to reduce inflation. The interesting policy outcome, as mentioned in the article, will be whether the inflation target will largely disappear as it is now generally accepted that hiking rates in the UK will have little impact on imported inflation.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the world population now 7 billion and the birth rate in Africa circa 7per woman (last night's BBC News) not to mention the huge numbers in the east, the answer to the question is yes.
To feed a rising number like that is going to take measures which will affect all the civilised world. Not to, will lead to scenes I dare not think about.
As for the "financial" side, there is in France disquiet, the french banks,BNP Paribas,Societe Generale, Credit Agricole have lost a lot of value on the "Bourse" . Many people would prefer to return to the "franc" and leave the euro. The liaison between France and Germany to shore up the eurozone seems to be a last chance.
Bear in mind also there are elections next year here and the right wing (Marie Le Pen )is very popular, if elected which is not unimaginable anything could happen in France and in Europe.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn`t be surprised to see the creation of a Euro Premier Finance Division and a fizzy bankrupt Division.

B

Battleship

The world is always "facing fundamental changes" - it's just that they usually happen too slowly for most people to notice.

The Euro is not going away - France and Germany are becoming cleverer at bailing out the weak Euro members by stealth.

The big winners will be those countries that adapt the most quickly to the changed circumstances - and the big losers will be those who protect obsolete employment at the expense of change.

Back
Top Bottom