Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is the euro league a ballache?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did them all except the Irish team ...made the tactical descision with crusaders to save the money for later .. Armenia for traveling was a great experience,.Turin and Istanbul were definitely in my top days following wolves....and I've been going since the mid 70s.....Braga and espanyol were both good as well

Lost money on the flights to Greece and was absolutely gutted not to be able to see it through to the end....what an experience and would love to do it all again......

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when Albion finished 8th because they didn't want to play in Europe as it was a distraction, they've really come on leaps and bounds since then.

I wonder if other European countries look down on the Europa/Conference like some of our fans do? I don't understand the thinking, I was desperate for us to win the Sherpa Paint trophy when we were in Lge 1!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when Albion finished 8th because they didn't want to play in Europe as it was a distraction, they've really come on leaps and bounds since then.

I wonder if other European countries look down on the Europa/Conference like some of our fans do? I don't understand the thinking, I was desperate for us to win the Sherpa Paint trophy when we were in Lge 1!
Sherpa Van or Johnson's Paint mate.... I'm sad enough to remember their bloody names lol....

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So you didn't have any transport costs and you wouldn't spend 75€ when Wolves were in town ?????
Me and my son Went to Espanyol, i paid local taxi £400 to Gatwick ( and return) Plus flights, 3 nights in hotel, plus beer oh and some food. Dread to think of the overall cost was.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its a possible money maker for us. Depending how well we do, 2 or 3 million can really help with wages.
I think that we got about £7-8 million in total prize money last time, plus the gate receipts of 7 full houses at Molineux so it isn't to be sniffed at. It was great fun too so would love another go at it, and helps us attract (and keep our) better players as well.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Was gutted we were never drawn against German or Austrian opposition. However I did make it to Torino. Highlight other than the match was the Bus Ride from town to the stadium. What a time that was to be alive!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Threads like this are a plague, get out.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
European football a ballache, jeez... getting to see Torino, Espanyol etc under the lights at Molineux, get us back to them Tuesday nights under the lights at Stevenage and Gillingham none of this European excitement here thanks.

Never mind "Fear of failure", it's like some of our fans have "Fear of Success"! It is also a real aspect of the mind. Like "Self-sabotaging". Sometimes, being stuck with the familiar feels more comforting than being succesful. And for us, "familiar" means mid-table Championship, we are well used to that familiar feeling. Seeing it in the desire to dump the striker who scored and assisted in our last 2 games, in favour of those who have delivered absolutely nothing all season. The thought of being in the top 4 or 5 does really make me go a bit dizzy, too :D

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Thanks for this, I'd forgotten about the "business decision" post. Now I'm ****ing myself again. My favourite piece of fiction since I first read Slaughter House-Five

T

TheConcourse

I loved it and I think as a club we were humble enough to embrace every minute. Even if we get that Europa Conference, I could see us taking a few thousand to some ****ty little town in Slovakia and loving every minute of it.
Can’t buy those moments with the lads*. Great, great memories.

*we literally did, but you get what I’m saying.

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not booking anything for August with next seasons Europa in mind. Ballache it is not.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think I am right in saying that 7th is Conference league now irrespective of what happens in cups. So we'd need to finish ahead of two of Arsenal/Spurs/United & West Ham. If Spurs/West Ham win FA Cup we are screwed unless we finish 5th.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're weren't ready (as a club, not a team) last time.

...I think we are ready if it comes next season.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I am right in saying that 7th is Conference league now irrespective of what happens in cups. So we'd need to finish ahead of two of Arsenal/Spurs/United & West Ham. If Spurs/West Ham win FA Cup we are screwed unless we finish 5th.
Realistically 6th as things stand - think it officially remains a spot for winning Sunday's final until either Chelsea or Liverpool qualify for something better, then it'll drop into the league and at the moment you need 5th for Euro qualification. It'll then drop to 7th if one of the top six wins the FA Cup. But I think that if West Ham or Leicester win their Euro competition and finish outside the top six, the Conference place will disappear entirely

(It would also apply to CL teams but can't really see Man U winning that or finishing outside the top six)

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d like Europa league but not to qualify for it we need a much bigger squad

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

The title of this thread really threw me. Think the OP meant ball-ache rather than ballache which I think is a French pudding!
I thought it was an artful play on words relating to sky’s Europe pundit Guillem Balagué.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And that walk back up the hill nearly killed me.Was gutted we were never drawn against German or Austrian opposition. However I did make it to Torino. Highlight other than the match was the Bus Ride from town to the stadium. What a time that was to be alive!

Great war it,even ar driver was singing in the end.We went on that sports options flight,there and back in a day.£600 but worth every penny.Braga was a complete shambles from start to finish.We made ar own way there trying to get it cheaper.Missed a connection flight and had to get straight down the ground without any pre match **** up.Got there ruined my new trainer's in all that mud.Got soaked to the skin.Nearly had me inhaler took off me,cuz some idiot robocop thought it was sort of flare.:mad: And that walk back up that hill nearly killed me.Barca drinking the lager was bostin.We had 3 days there for this one.The ony thing that spoilt it was the cops starting that fight in the square.But my God wat a bloody experience it is..

For some reason MunichWolf....I would love Wolfsburg...Battle of the wolves ay we. :tonguewink:

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can only echo the thoughts of others, absolutely loved our European adventure! Even the early rounds.

Went to a couple over here (Besiktas and Espanyol I think? **** memory) Was all booked up for Olympiacos away with my brother for a wolves supporters trip of a lifetime when Covid hit. Absolutely gutted.

The whole experience was like a dream, my Albion and villa mates every week "ooooo Espanyol will smash you, Besiktas will smash you" and on we marched.

Would be buzzing if we can qualify again. I'd be straight on that plane

Puddled Duck

Reaction score
Even if we make Europe next year.

Putin will have probably invaded it and only Chelsea will be allowed to play.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
AND what about the pre-season tour to the US?

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rangers v Crvena Zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
Braga v Monaco
Porto v Lyon
Atalanta v Bayer Leverkusen
Sevilla v West Ham
Barcelona v Galatasaray
Leipzig v Spartak Moscow
Real Betis v Eintracht Frankfurt

Some big clubs in that europa league draw. The amount of disrespect it gets from english media and the everyday fan of the big clubs is so snobby.
Sevilla as tough a draw as west ham could have got which is probably good news for us. Got nothing against west ham and hope they do well but i certainly dont want them winning it if it takes a Europe place away!

Back
Top Bottom