Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is Palace 97 the best atmosphere modern Molineux's experienced?

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hated Hopkin and Palace (and Barnsley) for years afterwards.... the damage was done in the away leg though, which was kinda surprising as it felt like we would always get results on the road but bottled every home game.

The away leg was only on the radio I recall. Unthinkable for a play-off game these days.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I hated Hopkin and Palace (and Barnsley) for years afterwards.... the damage was done in the away leg though, which was kinda surprising as it felt like we would always get results on the road but bottled every home game.

The away leg was only on the radio I recall. Unthinkable for a play-off game these days.
Couldn't get an away ticket and watched it on the 'big screen' from the BW Lower. It was when we decided to be cutting edge and have the screens that were made out of loads of big TVs with gaps between (Jonathan Hayward's genius I think) . Palace's 3rd goal is the only time I remember literally feeling like I'd been punched in the stomach.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
United in the QF was very loud, think partially due to the big allocation for Utd (4000?) and evening kick off time on a Saturday so everyone was ****ed up. Obviously the occasion and the fact we've only had 1 other semi final in my lifetime helped. Think the 90s games you had the 2 end stands singing but Utd game seemed like both those and SBU was very loud too?

It was the perfect concoction that game. The late kick off in particular. Never celebrated a goal like I did Jota's.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't get an away ticket and watched it on the 'big screen' from the BW Lower. It was when we decided to be cutting edge and have the screens that were made out of loads of big TVs with gaps between (Jonathan Hayward's genius I think) . Palace's 3rd goal is the only time I remember literally feeling like I'd been punched in the stomach.
Lol, true, the good old "Beamback"!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the Billy Wright upper for the Palace game and even the hip flask brigade were up on their feet shouting and singing. The roar when the teams came out and when we scored our first was the loudest I'd heard at Molineux. After Palace equalised it drained a lot of belief from everyone and it calmed down. That Ady Williams goal at the end gave hope but I don't think anyone believed we would pull level.

The worst I've ever felt after a game was after the Norwich playoff at Molineux. It felt like we would never ever get promoted or even get to a playoff final. I hadn't long moved to the northeast and the journey home was awful. Had to be up for work very early the next day. If we'd gone through I'd have floated to work on a cloud. I made a decision that football was having too much of an impact on me after that game, spoiling my life, so I declared to my wife that it was the last game for me, no more weeks getting ruined. Roll around August and of course I was back at Molineux for the first home game of the season.

I definitely can manage my emotions and mental health around football much better now than I did then. The years of experience give you a better perspective and a realisation about what really matters in life and football.
The week before Norwich felt lower. Walking out of Sheffield Wednesday away knowing we absolutely no chance of winning the play offs as the players looked absolutely shot. Walked out head down and literally walked into someone “sorry mate” looked up and it was bully “I’m absolutely gutted” “you’re gutted, try playing for the ****ers”

Went to both Norwich games in a numb state absolutely convinced what did happen would happen.

I was 21 at the time and like you football felt all consuming. Remember getting home from Wednesday and going straight to bed, next day I vowed to never let it get me that way again

WV4 Wolves

Reaction score
Yes. Palace game the best for loudest and hostility. The fans in the ground that night couldn't have done anymore.

Bolton at home in 95 first leg was loud too especially after Bully scored.

Man U in the QF brilliant. Jota's goal....

Also Villa in the champ Nuno's first season it was like everyone started to believe together that night. We were just so much better than them!

Can only imagine what Olympiacos or Seville home legs would of been like! Such a shame.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
The week before Norwich felt lower. Walking out of Sheffield Wednesday away knowing we absolutely no chance of winning the play offs as the players looked absolutely shot. Walked out head down and literally walked into someone “sorry mate” looked up and it was bully “I’m absolutely gutted” “you’re gutted, try playing for the ****ers”

Went to both Norwich games in a numb state absolutely convinced what did happen would happen.

I was 21 at the time and like you football felt all consuming. Remember getting home from Wednesday and going straight to bed, next day I vowed to never let it get me that way again
I was at the Wednesday away game too. Don't think any of us expected we would be promoted come the end of the game, but had to be there just in case. That early goal did make it feel for a brief period of time that it might be our day, but we were on our knees as a team and as fans come the end of the regular season. You're right, the playoffs had an inevitability about them.

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Definitely the most intense and hostile environment I've ever seen us produce ( I've been going since 88). I remember coppell remarking about how it felt we wanted to kill them and how it affected them the first 20 mins or so.

It was definitely a 1 off kind of atmosphere as there's no way we could produce that much energy on a regular basis. I was completely drained for a day or 2 after it was so intense

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having been a supporter since 57 ive seen many great atmospheres in my time
Ironically one of the best was that 0-6 to Southampton back in the Championship
Ive never witnessed anything like it, with the crowd not once turning on us, but instead the whole ground was behind the team and the noise just grew with every goal against us lol,brilliant

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I remember rightly hadn’t the liquidator already been banned by then but Sir Jack insisted we bring it back for the Palace playoff and we belted it out full blast.

colincameron

Reaction score
3-0 up at HT vs Arsenal a few seasons ago a personal favourite atmosphere of mine. The sound just echoed around the ground that day, especially second half despite the fact we didn’t do much… but it was literally constant. Just swallowed Arsenal up. Amazing.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes.

Honourable mentions for United QF, Everton Neves goal first game back, Man City comeback.

Most limbs Blues 3-2 at home.
Man City comeback was absolute madness for atmosphere. Incredible.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also Villa in the champ Nuno's first season it was like everyone started to believe together that night. We were just so much better than them!
"Leo Bonatini! Leo Bonatini! Leo Bonatini!

Still makes my hairs stand on end

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
If I remember rightly hadn’t the liquidator already been banned by then but Sir Jack insisted we bring it back for the Palace playoff and we belted it out full blast.
Will never forget the match I took my girlfriend to (she was trying to impress and pretend to be interested in football) and seeing the look on her face when the liquidator started playing, she saw a slightly different side to me that afternoon :D

Still wasn't all bad, she's now my wife, though she won't come to a match, and won't sit in the living room with me to watch if I can't make it!

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always say it, but the West Ham game (1991 I think) was so loud in the South Bank. West Ham had just spanked Luton (of Division One as it was known them) in the FA Cup 5-0 the match before, but West Ham's manager Billy Bonds said going to Molineux was the toughest trip of the season.

When Birch scored it was crazy, but when Bull made it 2-0 in front of the South Bank (coming off a 'drought' of four games without a goal, if only droughts for our forwards now were so short!) I honestly thought I was going to die. i started at about 2/3 of the way up and after that I was down by the fence. People were flying everywhere and the noise was incredible.

I was at the Palace game too. I knew we were never going to do it after they scored last minute at Selhurst Park (especially after Smith's goal just to give that infinite, fleeting hope) and the atmosphere was immense, but for some reason, the West Ham game always seemed louder and more intense.

I guess it was the the fact it was standing and West Ham were such a good team (I think we were the first team to score twice past them that season).

Great memories. Now we have the best team in my memory and it's so hard to get tickets!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the noise was better during the Nuno era, i've never heard Molineux make noises like when Ruben scored some of his absolute worldies.

My time started early 90's so it may have been different before that.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since the drop down to div 4 yes. Only game in modern times we sang through half time. The north bank rocked in those days

But nothing beats the 70s. Just incredible

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Palace PO Semi is unsurpassed from my experience at Molineux. Honourable mentions for QF v Utd and Villa at home in Championship winning season.

TorquayWolves

Reaction score
Sheffield Wednesday FA cup replay when Waddle missed that pen, amazing noise and great atmosphere.

D

Deleted member 11021Mcm

I don’t think the comeback v City gets mentioned enough on these threads.

From the anger at VAR at 2-0 down to the roar during the comeback and the euphoria at 3-2.

Still get goose bumps thinking about it.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Palace game easily for me in my 30 years of going to Molineux. Was a 16 year old in the BW upper and could actually sing and shout all game without standing out!

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having been a supporter since 57 ive seen many great atmospheres in my time
Ironically one of the best was that 0-6 to Southampton back in the Championship
Ive never witnessed anything like it, with the crowd not once turning on us, but instead the whole ground was behind the team and the noise just grew with every goal against us lol,brilliant

Such a bizarre game, every shot they had went in and we played some good stuff. But your right the atmosphere just kept getting louder

Back
Top Bottom