Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is it just me,

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it wasn't for Wolves I wouldn't watch football outside of international tournaments. Lost any real love for the game a long long time ago and enjoy US sports much more as a spectacle now I live here. Football is a lot more clinical these days sadly and it isn't really genuinely competitive outside of a few clubs anymore either.
I'm fully excited for the NFL pre season to begin, albeit the window is close to slamming shut for us (Bills), but I agree, I am enjoying the US sports quite a bit more.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many is on the waiting list to get a season ticket, I could imagine there's quite a few. They want to be careful, if they keep putting off doing the stadium, they could end up losing a lot of them especially if we continue to struggle
I think in real terms the waiting list isn’t that long now. There’s lots on there who signed up when we were in Europe and have no intention of taking one up if offered. What wolves have like a lot of clubs is a genuine hardcore of season ticket holders who go regardless of position in the league or indeed what league we are in. Where I am in the south bank, the three to my left, the four to my right and the 4 in front have been the same for just under 20 years.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an odd thing being a football fan.
When times are lean as (despite the actual success in a long time perspective) they are now, some people stick with it and some people drift away.
When the good times return (as they inevitably do in the cycle that is football) the ones who drift away return. The ones who don't deride them as glory hunters, even though they just stayed because they wanted to, nobody made them if they weren't enjoying it. (take the point about STs though these days).
I don't think you come back, it's been nearly two years (Jesus!) since I've been Molineux and I don't miss it and the inclination to make the journey is gone, I've got no desire to make it, regardless of how things go on the pitch.

In that same vein, not sure how ill stand to try get the kids into it, especially as it doesn't make little sense for a Londoner going up to the Midlands and support a Midlands club whilst having a father who really isn't feeling making that journey himself! Credit to those who do.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I don't think you come back, it's been nearly two years (Jesus!) since I've been Molineux and I don't miss it and the inclination to make the journey is gone, I've got no desire to make it, regardless of how things go on the pitch.

In that same vein, not sure how ill stand to try get the kids into it, especially as it doesn't make little sense for a Londoner going up to the Midlands and support a Midlands club whilst having a father who really isn't feeling making that journey himself! Credit to those who do.
Yes, as with @Rhoswolf there are obviously lots of reasons people stop going. I was more talking about fairly local fans who just decide it's not worth the effort. When I go down to London games I marvel that people do the reverse journey week in week out, both for the time commitment and the cost. All I'd say is that people should do whatever they think is best, this idea that you should carry on coming if you don't enjoy it maybe to have 'earned' the good times is a bit odd. As is people who keep going because they actually do enjoy the social aspects, but then deride others who leave and come back when the entertainment improves as glory hunters. Do what makes you happy!

kentish wolf

Reaction score
I have been Wolves since 1958 because my older brother supported them.
He later switched to Liverpool but I am a wolf forever.
These days football is not about training,tactics,luck or hard work.
It is all about Money and imho the game is no longer about the fans enjoyment it has been swallowed up by entrepreneurs, big business and greed.
I will always be Wolves but unfortunately I have to accept that at best we are an also ran and at worst we will fall through the trapdoor to the championship.
Living in Kent I am obviously surrounded by lots of Arsenal, Spurs,Chelsea the inevitable Manure and Liverpool "fans"
They all look on Wolves as nobody's as far as being a challenger is concerned.
I know we beat Chelsea ,Spurs and Liverpool at the Mol but in their arrogance their excuse for losing to Wolves is that they had an off day rather than we played well.
Rant over but it is and always will WOLVES FOREVER as far as I am concerned.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fell out of love with it when Morgan appointed Saunders.. helped me make the decision to move to the US permanently instead of flying back every 2 weeks to watch that ****ing idiot and his window licking comments. Have enjoyed coming back 2-3 times every season to see live games and have travelled more miles in the US to watch Wolves on TV with various groups in bars than I ever did home and away on this small island. For all the fun, friends and Guinness had watching Wolves there was only one place i wanted to be on a matchday, especially after some of the monumental throbbing victories.

Please please try to enjoy it, you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.

We moved back here in May, got me season ticket and have arranged my work travel schedule to again not clash with too many fixtures.
Reading this thread… I think I’m gonna renew my green card!

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
I’ve followed Wolves home and away for as long as I can remember, I’m the same as us all Old Gold and Black through my veins ,for the last couple of years I’ve only gone really for the drink beforehand (not the football) I’ve lost all love for the game , I’ve bought both season tickets for the next season , just curious if any body else feels like this , and will my love come back , I’m normally a very positive person just feel lost ,, ps this is not attention seeking just never been like this about my club
Maybe the thing to ask yourself is whether it’s your love for football that’s changed or your love of Wolverhampton Wanderers?

Memories such as the schlep down to Exeter and another Bully hat trick, piddly small crowd but great day out, watching us knock Newcastle out the FA cup, Craig Bellemy throwing a hissy fit and pointing Wolves fans to his PL badge on his shirt at the end of the game while Molineux rocked, all of the Nuno era…….

Thats the connection.

I think football has changed though, VAR, money, greed, ethics, gamesmanship, have all tainted the game so it no longer represents the pure joy we experienced as supporters.

Or maybe it’s an age thing and it doesn’t matter to some of us ‘old ins’ as much anymore. For sure, when I sell my ticket back to the club I don’t tend get FOMO any more!

jeb01

Reaction score
I’ll always support Wolves, but as I live in Dorset I can rarely get tickets for home games any more, so my best chance of “live” games is Sky, or the occasional away game where I can usually get a ticket in the home end (West Ham, Fulham, but now no longer Southampton).
I fully understand what the OP says. My solution, if you can call it that, is sometimes to go to non league games close to where I live.
It is almost always an enjoyable afternoon, much more relaxed and friendly all round, and the standard of football is decent. Maybe I’m fortunate but my local non league club also has an excellent clubhouse facility.
If you’re feeling a bit jaded with the palaver of the EPL, why not give it a try?

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too true, most of my mates now dead or no longer attend, add to that mobility issues, train strikes and uncertainty about travel makes it more of a bind / habit than anything, sadly miss it less and less and don't share your optimism about coming season.
Bloody hell Nick,that depressing,but I get what ya mean.Hope yam ok marra.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Last season was particularly disspiriting.

We were really terrible until December and then after that stayed up purely by attrition. There was nothing good or exciting to watch, ever. The relief at staying up was the only thing we had to cling on to.

Alot of the players seemed to lack bravery and everything was too safe and careful. We couldn't trust them from one game to the next, and that as a fan, lack of trust in a group, can't be reversed.

Add to this VAR and some catastrophic refereeing decisions that at times had me thinking "whats the point?".

So what now? I actually welcome this reset and some different players that probably will be more dynamic and hungry.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
I work for the prison service out here. For a while I worked in the drug rehabilitation unit.

I asked an inmate why he started taking drugs, as I regard it as a lifestyle choice. He went on to say that the best way to explain it is the feeling of good cocain. It's so good, he explained, that after that nothing in life can live up to that feeling. Everything else is negative, even good moments.

Perhaps the Nuno days and the European trips were so good that now nothing else excites us, or comes even close. The last 3 years have been a massive come down.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I work for the prison service out here. For a while I worked in the drug rehabilitation unit.

I asked an inmate why he started taking drugs, as I regard it as a lifestyle choice. He went on to say that the best way to explain it is the feeling of good cocain. It's so good, he explained, that after that nothing in life can live up to that feeling. Everything else is negative, even good moments.

Perhaps the Nuno days and the European trips were so good that now nothing else excites us, or comes even close. The last 3 years have been a massive come down.
I agree with that. I don't like cocaine, just the smell of it.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves born and bred and lived in same house ( farm cottage )for 71 years.I’m not on the same wavelength as most of ya.Being local I suppose it’s easier for us to attend compared to those of you who travel long distances. yes the football these last couple of years has not bin the best.But I followed wolves all through the divisions and by cricky we were bad,but loyalty has to be through bad times and good.Var and this offside malarkey has certainly made life hard for us supporters and it has took the shine off a bit.I missed a few away games and home ones last season as my C O P D was bad and I could hardly breathe with the cold air.So I watched those games on a dodgy stick.Bloody hell it’s got to be the worst thing out.Talk about nerves rattling and covering my eyes if the opposition are in attack,it’s not for me,so I had no hesitation in renewing my season ticket.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Wolves born and bred and lived in same house ( farm cottage )for 71 years.I’m not on the same wavelength as most of ya.Being local I suppose it’s easier for us to attend compared to those of you who travel long distances. yes the football these last couple of years has not bin the best.But I followed wolves all through the divisions and by cricky we were bad,but loyalty has to be through bad times and good.Var and this offside malarkey has certainly made life hard for us supporters and it has took the shine off a bit.I missed a few away games and home ones last season as my C O P D was bad and I could hardly breathe with the cold air.So I watched those games on a dodgy stick.Bloody hell it’s got to be the worst thing out.Talk about nerves rattling and covering my eyes if the opposition are in attack,it’s not for me,so I had no hesitation in renewing my season ticket.
You're absolutely right about streaming the games live on the TV. It's much more stressful than being at the game. I find myself going out of the room when the opposition has a free kick or corner. I cope with it much easier when I'm at the game.

You're also right about living locally. If I lived local I wouldn't miss a game. When my dad took me to games at Molineux when I was a kid (he drove us up from the valleys), I could believe that people living in Wolverhampton weren't going to the game. I'd see people shopping and walking the opposite way to us on the way to Molineux and I'd say to my dad, "What's wrong with these people? They're here in Wolverhampton and not going to the game!"

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Costs are a huge factor.

Feel like a broken record but coming from the south to Molineux is just so expensive now.

For the price of one trip up I can basically buy a flight abroad for a family holiday.
Return? ....lol

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being local I'd say is a massive difference, like I find myself going down to Victoria Road much the same because it's literally 10 minutes from my house.

If I was living in Wolverhampton or near by then I'd probably have my arm easily twists to go!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being local I'd say is a massive difference, like I find myself going down to Victoria Road much the same because it's literally 10 minutes from my house.

If I was living in Wolverhampton or near by then I'd probably have my arm easily twists to go!
Strangely enough l don't find myself rushing to my local football ground.... the Emirates.....

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
I’ve been loosing faith in the club for a while now the same as many of you.

Ironically since Nuno’s dreaming is for free mantra fizzled out, Wolves have become very difficult to dream about.

I honestly don’t know who is going to be in the team next season, the football we’ve played the last few seasons has been just awful, with Neves, Bolly, Moutinho, Coady, Jota all gone and Raul a shadow of the player he was we have no real hero’s, the stadium which could have been a huge source of pride for the club and City is a mess with no prospect of remediation, the design of the clubs shirts have IMO been rubbish, and our owners seem to be floundering and lost. To top it all off our name gets dragged through the mud for homophobia. Where we used to be the team that played with 5 at the back and who were lethal on the counter, I could not tell you what our identity is these days.

For most of my life supporting Wolves has been about keeping the faith mostly in the face of failure, disappointment and frustration. There’s only so much more I can take.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I always look forward to the new season for the social side of it and the beer drinking regardless of what the football is like , but it had been a bit uninspiring for a while now.
I don't get that, why not just go out for a beer down the boozer,? save a fortune and pulling yer hair out lol

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a premier league thing I reckon.
The championship was off the radar and match days seemed more casual. Pubs in town quieter too.
Away days with groups of mates easier as tickets were easier to get. Not every one can afford or commit to every away game which has nothing to do with being a better supporter.
The ticket price increases and season ticket increases over the last few years has also made an impact. Along with petrol and train increases. Its turns a fun day out at the football into a financial decision. Until a couple years ago I'd go to every away game. I got tickets in the ****ing ballot for a game this year, with train ticket and a couple of pints, was very pricey day out. Team were **** and lost, when you stand back and think of the 10s of thousands they get a week (not there fault) it does make you feel abit eeerrrmmmm....

But yeah, I've renewed and will look forward to match days again but I agree it doesn't feel like it did. Or am I getting old. Hahahha

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
We've had a lot worse teams than this and I've still had loads of enthusiasm and positive feelings.

But this team ,hopefully a few that are departing, have drained all my energy as the games have been so awful to watch.

I'm happy to go with the risk element of what we are doing now with selling loads of players and hopefully replacing them with players who were out on loan or new younger, cheaper players.

This pre-season re-set will hopefully spark some life into us.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve followed Wolves home and away for as long as I can remember, I’m the same as us all Old Gold and Black through my veins ,for the last couple of years I’ve only gone really for the drink beforehand (not the football) I’ve lost all love for the game , I’ve bought both season tickets for the next season , just curious if any body else feels like this , and will my love come back , I’m normally a very positive person just feel lost ,, ps this is not attention seeking just never been like this about my club
I’ve been ****ed off with Wolves before, most notably during the ‘reign’ of Goddle. However, like a member of my own family, I couldn’t stay ****ed off forever. Even the double dip didn’t **** me off as much as the Hoddle years…!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel the same mate, VAR certainly has made me hate football more. But the club used to be good with its finger on the pulse, last 2 seasons they’ve been abysmal. Relegation may actually be the thing that makes some of us fall back in love with the club

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel the same mate, VAR certainly has made me hate football more. But the club used to be good with its finger on the pulse, last 2 seasons they’ve been abysmal. Relegation may actually be the thing that makes some of us fall back in love with the club
You know, I thought abit about this last season and my conclusion was no, the 'fun' in the championship was that we didn't know our limit, our ceiling because we couldn't see it. Now we can, so going back down just shows that gap even more and the dreams of what could be when going back up is just replaced a by a here we go again feeling.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players being greedy , selling there soul and ambition,to go play in a pub league has tarnished footy and wolves for me

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My daughter’s here this weekend with the guy she’s marrying next year. Jonny’s an Everton fans (I’m fine with that: the function of a football club is to cause a man pain…)

I mentioned this thread to him and he said something that really struck a chord with me. “I don’t think I’ll ever see Everton win a major trophy.”

At first I thought that was ridiculous – Jonny is 30 – but the more I thought about it the more it went right to the heart of what’s wrong with football now. The sense that teams like City and United – and Newcastle when they sort out FFP – will simply buy success. The feeling that if you have a really good player he’ll be tempted away and stuck in City’s store cupboard, or bought by the Saudi league. Chuck in VAR, offside and all the other rules those of who’ve watched football all our lives no longer understand and maybe Jonny has a point…

(And I know Everton have their problems, but how many teams could you substitute for Everton? Wolves for one…)

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My daughter’s here this weekend with the guy she’s marrying next year. Jonny’s an Everton fans (I’m fine with that: the function of a football club is to cause a man pain…)

I mentioned this thread to him and he said something that really struck a chord with me. “I don’t think I’ll ever see Everton win a major trophy.”

At first I thought that was ridiculous – Jonny is 30 – but the more I thought about it the more it went right to the heart of what’s wrong with football now. The sense that teams like City and United – and Newcastle when they sort out FFP – will simply buy success. The feeling that if you have a really good player he’ll be tempted away and stuck in City’s store cupboard, or bought by the Saudi league. Chuck in VAR, offside and all the other rules those of who’ve watched football all our lives no longer understand and maybe Jonny has a point…

(And I know Everton have their problems, but how many teams could you substitute for Everton? Wolves for one…)
I long accepted that reality with Wolves that any major honour in our lifetime is slim, there's a chance, and I'd give anything for even a League Cup win, but it is unlikely.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been so concerned about staying in the premier league that I haven't really enjoyed being in the premier league.
This nails it for me. It just isn't fun. We win and the pressure lifts for a week, but in the meantime the relentless multiple streams of Sky's coverage, the BIg 6 (or whatever number it is going to be) and the horrendous being that is VAR kills off any enjoyment of the actual sport.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The mick days was the same
That's because we had a lack of talented players who worked hard so scraped by. We have the opposite now where we have talented players who are seriously underperforming and not working hard enough. I can accept the former, but not the latter.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's because we had a lack of talented players who worked hard so scraped by. We have the opposite now where we have talented players who are seriously underperforming and not working hard enough. I can accept the former, but not the latter.
Can’t accept either. Stood still both occasions for too long and got punished. JL didn’t come we would of gone down

Back
Top Bottom