Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is all this bartering doing us more harm than good??

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not having a go at the club, because I think its impressive how we are sticking to our guns, but should we cut our losses now and take the money on offer for Fletcher and Jarvis so we can rebuild?

I actually think it is a false economy, surely holding on to Fletcher and Jarvis is harming our chances of succeeding this season, which in itself brings more severe financial implications?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends. If we actually end up selling them still then the sooner the better.

However, I am firmly behind Jez (oo er) on this.

S

Stratford Wolf

surely holding on to Fletcher & Jarvis will improve our chances of succeeding this season...?

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we're doing this with a view to keeping them: good. If we're doing it to get an extra couple of million - I'm less sure.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What worries me is we sell them too near to the transfer deadline and end up with no one coming in. That would be a disaster.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What worries me is we sell them too near to the transfer deadline and end up with no one coming in. That would be a disaster.

Yeah, I agree. I personally would rather sell them than keep them now. My love for them has gone. I'm behind Jez too, but I think time not money is now the issue. Lets get them out and spend the money.

M

Monkey Man

surely holding on to Fletcher & Jarvis will improve our chances of succeeding this season...?

Rarely when a player has said he wants to leave is he any good. Modric was very average last year. For me ship them out now and get players in who want to play for Wolves. Sure we may struggle to get players of the quality that leave but do we really want people at the club with no interest?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

johnybig32

They want to play in the EPL.

If we dont sell by the end of the window and then we start well and are in the Autos, they will want to stay?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd imagine we'll have a Jarvis replacement lined up as a contingency. Can't see us wanting to sign another striker to replace Fletcher as our summer recruitment has been conducted with his departure firmly in mind.

To answer the OP, we should squeeze out every last penny.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd imagine we'll have a Jarvis replacement lined up as a contingency. Can't see us wanting to sign another striker to replace Fletcher as our summer recruitment has been conducted with his departure firmly in mind.

But thats my point, should we squeeze every last penny? Ok get a good deal, but don't do it at risk of ruining the season.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure I quite follow your reasoning; do you mean that we could leave it too late and fail to get a quality replacement?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe we could do with another striker if Nouble cant even get on the bench today?!

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure I quite follow your reasoning; do you mean that we could leave it too late and fail to get a quality replacement?

Yes and the fact that we've got players in the squad who don't want to be here, it can't be good for the guys who actually want to be here.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there has to be an element of playing to the gallery going on here by the club-they don't want to be seen by the fans to be in a bum's rush to cash in on their prized assets.
For me though once a player has expressed a desire to leave thats pretty much it-because-as others have said above -such players are not going to give of their best and their continued presence is likely to unsettle the dressing room. So, with regret, I would prefer that they be moved on now asap in the general interests of the club.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Martin O'Neill
“I don’t think I’ve ever cheap-skated when it comes to buying players,†said the former Villa boss.
“I don’t mind paying over the odds here if this person is value for money.
“That’s fine and that’s what I’m thinking about.â€

Brilliant Martin. If he is value for money then its not over the odds.:cool:
This surely suggests that O'Neill realises Fletcher's value but Sunderland would like a bargain.
If it is a question of us not buying until we sell why not set our own deadline and say to the buying clubs after a particular date these players are no longer for sale at any price.
We do need some new players in though if we are to challenge for promotion.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes and the fact that we've got players in the squad who don't want to be here, it can't be good for the guys who actually want to be here.

That's more of a concern to me. I think the replacements would be signed regardless of when Fletch/Jarvis are sold (we'd surely have contingency signings lined up given the likelihood of their leaving).

As for their being unsettled...it's a very valid point.

£14/15 million for Fletcher would be a huge sum of money and, given his headsgone(ness), should be accepted in a heartbeat. Whilst he's a great player he seems a bit of a **** and the sort who would potentially kick up a fuss.

I don't feel the same about Jarvis and whilst he evidently wants to leave to further his own career (no problem with that) I don't see him as a disruptive influence on the squad if he doesn't get that move. Then again - what do i know!

But if it comes down to accepting a combined £18.5 rising to 21.5 million now or £25 million in early September, I don't think the potential problems outweigh the extra £££

D

Deleted member 3751

I'm not having a go at the club, because I think its impressive how we are sticking to our guns, but should we cut our losses now and take the money on offer for Fletcher and Jarvis so we can rebuild?

I actually think it is a false economy, surely holding on to Fletcher and Jarvis is harming our chances of succeeding this season, which in itself brings more severe financial implications?

If it means we've banked £25m by September 4th then yes, if it means Jarvis or Fletcher are still here come September 4th then yes. Don't forget there were a lot on here who thought we might only get £12m-£15m for them both.

M

Mugwump

I personally think once sunderland bid 15 million we should tell them we want 20 million.

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I personally would rather sell them than keep them now. My love for them has gone. I'm behind Jez too, but I think time not money is now the issue. Lets get them out and spend the money.

We already have brought in quality players.We are in the championship.Im with the club on this.Prefer they dont let clubs take the $$$$ out of us.

Purple Ronnie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fletcher will probably go on strike. Sunderland will leave til the end of the window and come up with a cheeky £2m loan fee bid, can see it happening.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jarvis particularly has always come across as a proper professional footballer and he has kept his head down and mouth shut throughout all the speculation. I fully expect him to demonstrate the same level of professionalism and knuckle down if he is still at the club. I don't think we will see anything different from Fletcher either.

The transfer window either should go or close before the start of the season.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i

Although Fletcher has said he wants away I would hope that both him and Jarvis would be professional and give their best for the club should they still be here. I guess thats up to Stale to determine how there staying /going will affect the squad.

We should try and hold out for the best price and not give away bargains though. The timing is difficult though If we buy before we sell it then sends a signal that we are willing to sell and maybe reduces the price we will get. If we wait to get the full value we want then it gives us less time to bring in replacements, though hopefully we will have plans in place to get replacements should we need them

f the players are unsettled and may cause disruption in the sqaud I can see the reason for getting the deal done and new players in sooner rather than later.

I think Sunderalnd may well come in with another bid and Fletch will go. I'm more hopeful of keeping Jarvis

Back
Top Bottom