Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Irrespective of the manager, the questions that need answering

floydstreet

Reaction score
Loads of names, mostly managers we’ve never heard of if we are being honest or have little actual knowledge of their style, temperament etc . I hope this is a true football decision and they don’t rush it. But irrespective of the manager there are questions that need answering. These aren’t exclusively the only questions of course, but some of them

- Do we need a director of football ?, or is Sellars going to be trusted and backed. What I mean here is that the influence and contacts of Mendes are undeniably positive on the whole. But we need someone still to have overall control, Shi is not qualified on this front, he may be on running the finances etc

- Style of football , I want progressive and attacking football of course. But surely the style needs to reflect the players we have ?

- January funds - any manager of ability should be demanding a January budget, question for Fosun are the prepared to go again?, because the new man may want a different direction

- Formation what is this for wolves. Personally feel you can play progresssive football with 5 at back or 4, it’s just around the movement and fluidity. 4231, 443, 442 or 532 ?..

- Team spirit how can this be recreated because we have clearly lost something. The footballing decision around Coady made sense maybe, but the effect of this on togetherness is clear. So do Fosun need to find a manager who galvanises or does that come from within ?

Plenty to think about, the manager name is one element but we need to decide on investment, style, formation, team spirit and the project.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The loss of Coady, Patricio and Saiss were massive and puts more pressure on a manager to take control.
Because I cant see strong influencers, beyond Moutinho and Neves and they were here with those guys.
As for Sellars and Shi they seem very passive.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The loss of Coady, Patricio and Saiss were massive and puts more pressure on a manager to take control.
Because I cant see strong influencers, beyond Moutinho and Neves and they were here with those guys.
As for Sellars and Shi they seem very passive.
I said at the time that getting rid of Saiss was a daft idea. A brilliant character who could fill multiple roles.

floydstreet

Reaction score
The style of play won’t help with a smaller squad. Nuno had a small squad but frankly we ran less than other teams. Under Lage we ran a bit more and the medical department was clearly different.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Attacking football is needed. The passing backwards is ridiculous when in forward positions

The players can only speak for themselves….

Nunes 38m hardly seen much of that talent
Guedes 28m nothing of note yet either

Whilst playing well in patches. The new system has cost Lage his job…. It did not make us anymore attacking. Similar to when Nuno tried a back 4?!

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to see the players enjoying themselves again. A start would be to play them in their best positions. No midfielders in defence, no full backs on the wing, no wingers as strikers, consign inverted wingers to the dustbin, and improve things in training.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I think Guedes will look good if and when he plays off Costa. I must admit I don't have much to base that on, but we've done him no favours so far with how he's been used.

To answer the questions, yes we need a top coach who will instill a pattern (with some flexibility) and probably one who keeps it simple and plays to our strengths (not his 'preferred' style). A couple of wins and I still think this team can fly - just not sure where those wins are coming from.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Guedes will look good if and when he plays off Costa. I must admit I don't have much to base that on, but we've done him no favours so far with how he's been used.

To answer the questions, yes we need a top coach who will instill a pattern (with some flexibility) and probably one who keeps it simple and plays to our strengths (not his 'preferred' style). A couple of wins and I still think this team can fly - just not sure where those wins are coming from.

After Chelsea and before the last game before the WC break against Arsenal, we have 5 very winnable games.

We all thought October would be a big month for Bruno, but in fact it's just a big month for us as a club. Those 5 games might decide whether we are in with the pack, or a little cut adrift a bit by the break.

I think Steve Davis and James Collins are taking charge against Chelsea, then it will be interesting to see how quickly we move. Do we go early, or wait for a better option?

The worrying thing about the statement is the club said they may look to promote from within. I certainly hope that's just paper talk and not something they are seriously considering.

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree totally about Shi, a non football man who has taken over control fully at our club and is blundering around like a fish out of water. He shoved aside Dalrymple and Thelwell and since then we have had his sole dictatorship. Him and Sellars are like Laurel and Hardy to me. As inept as Lage was, the deeper questioning has to be how effective are those pair..?? Did Lage want the players that were brought in over summer, or did Shi and Sellars dump them on him, saying: we have spent big money on them, now you get coaching them. Also, our big problem of no strikers about before Costa is: whose fault was that..?? Lage's or the two S men's..??? The malaise and blame runs deeper than just Lage.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Attacking football is needed. The passing backwards is ridiculous when in forward positions

The players can only speak for themselves….

Nunes 38m hardly seen much of that talent
Guedes 28m nothing of note yet either

Whilst playing well in patches. The new system has cost Lage his job…. It did not make us anymore attacking. Similar to when Nuno tried a back 4?!
theyve had a handful of games - its more a case that they werent set up tactically well enough for their ability which is why for me it sat with the manager rather than the players, these players dont turn crap overnight, its coached out of them

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d add, what’s going on with the medical team?! Noticeable increase in the amount of injuries and fitness struggles since the head guy left, (I can’t remember his name sorry!)
Wasn’t that Dr Perry? There’s a lot of luck and coincidence involved obviously, but surely we’re past that stage now and well into the realms of ‘should be doing better’ on the injury front.

He did only leave in April ‘22, so not like there wasn’t already a significant increase by then, but it’s got to stupid levels now.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t that Dr Perry? There’s a lot of luck and coincidence involved obviously, but surely we’re past that stage now and well into the realms of ‘should be doing better’ on the injury front.

He did only leave in April ‘22, so not like there wasn’t already a significant increase by then, but it’s got to stupid levels now.

Making visibly injured players go back on the pitch to make their injuries worse isn't exactly the best strategy medically speaking.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
After Chelsea and before the last game before the WC break against Arsenal, we have 5 very winnable games.

We all thought October would be a big month for Bruno, but in fact it's just a big month for us as a club. Those 5 games might decide whether we are in with the pack, or a little cut adrift a bit by the break.

I think Steve Davis and James Collins are taking charge against Chelsea, then it will be interesting to see how quickly we move. Do we go early, or wait for a better option?

The worrying thing about the statement is the club said they may look to promote from within. I certainly hope that's just paper talk and not something they are seriously considering.
Yes, big month coming up. Can't see anything in the 'promote from within' line, imagine if we were looking for people of that status from elsewhere? Not sure if it would ever be a good idea, but now is surely not that moment.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Muddled transfer policy is something I read in an article over the weekend regarding our current situation, and that sums up a lot of what is wrong as far as I am concerned. The balance of the squad has often been questioned, the possible over reliance on Mendes, and the seeming lack of vision as to where we want to be. I would love to know who sits around the table and decides who we are going to sign and who we are going to sell.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If everyone is fit, and if we bring back everyone on loan we have the following squad...

Strikers
Raul
Kalazdic
Costa
Fabio
Hwang and Guedes

Wide attackers/wingers
Hwang and guedes
Neto
Traore
Podence
Chiquinho

Central Midfielders

Neves
Nunes
Moutinho
Boubacar traore

Full backs
Semedo
Jonny
Ait-Nouri

Centre backs
Collins
Kilman
Mosquera
Toti

Gk
Sa + backup.

Centre half lacks experience. Other than that there really isn't much that needs adding.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d add, what’s going on with the medical team?! Noticeable increase in the amount of injuries and fitness struggles since the head guy left, (I can’t remember his name sorry!)

Agree. Hwang injured again as well and both Adama and Raul have had injuries from pre season and then recurring injuries since.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also would like to know whose stupid idea it was to let so much experience leave the squad and leave us with virtually no leaders and the stupidity of letting so many defenders go and only signing one.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is ridiculous isn't it? Is it medical staff? Training? People playing when injured?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also would like to know whose stupid idea it was to let so much experience leave the squad and leave us with virtually no leaders and the stupidity of letting so many defenders go and only signing one.

Who in particular JOSWolf ?

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is ridiculous isn't it? Is it medical staff? Training? People playing when injured?

What worries me (if true that is) is that the medical team bowed down to Bruno when he insisted on keeping injured players on the pitch, I’d like to think we have a team secure enough in their medical knowledge to insist they not play, but then again I don’t know how that heirachy works

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What worries me (if true that is) is that the medical team bowed down to Bruno when he insisted on keeping injured players on the pitch, I’d like to think we have a team secure enough in their medical knowledge to insist they not play, but then again I don’t know how that heirachy works
The alarm bells started to go off for me when Mosquera played 2 friendlies in 2 days and got injured in the latter one.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Muddled transfer policy is something I read in an article over the weekend regarding our current situation, and that sums up a lot of what is wrong as far as I am concerned. The balance of the squad has often been questioned, the possible over reliance on Mendes, and the seeming lack of vision as to where we want to be. I would love to know who sits around the table and decides who we are going to sign and who we are going to sell.
I have been very critical over our transfer policy for a few years now, but credit where credit us due, I was ecstatic when we managed to get Collins, Guedes, Boubacer and Nunes AND keep Neves. Brilliant job.

I was less happy when we bought Sasa. Goals has been a problem since Raul was head-butted and we haven't replaced him.

But Costa looks good. OK, he is unfit and off the pace, but leads the line well and could transform the way we play. With a good manager I am starting to look forward to future games now.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Haaland at the weekend I couldn't help wondering where we would be in the league with our current squad with him as our centre forward.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who in particular JOSWolf ?

Saiss, Coady. I could accept them going but we have been left with hardly any leaders or experience at centre back as we signed Collins and no one else.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss, Coady. I could accept them going but we have been left with hardly any leaders or experience at centre back as we signed Collins and no one else.

There may be a case for Saiss, but Coady wanted off so that he could continue playing regularly (something that Wolves couldn't guarantee), and hopefully fulfill his ambition of representing England in the World Cup.

The Mix appeared to return a 50/50 split on whether we should have kept him (by playing him regularly) or move on and put our future in the likes Collins and Kilman, which persoanlly I think was the right decision.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The new manager/headcoach?
No more square pegs in round holes would do for a starter.
Simply play our players in the position that is their best.
No more Neves central defence,play Adama om the right side,play Costa(as much as possible),play Nunes is the psoition he thrived in before and so on.

It is not rocketscience..it is football.

We simply needs to get Nunes going on a whole different scale than what has been going on.He is the record signing and according to Pep he is one of the best midfielders in the world.I´ve not seen a trace of that thus far in all honesty.Play him in his right position and give the dude some freedom playing his football..I´m sure we will see a whole different calibre of player than what has been the case thus far this season.

Guedes?
A total enigma to me..looks worse than Trincao IMO..but there must be a player in there somewhere..but fudge me if I know how to lure that player out in the open.Certainly a huge task for our new boss.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Diego Costa could be a leader IMHO.
Our other players almost seems to fear him,and someone must put a rocket up their behinds every now and then.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree totally about Shi, a non football man who has taken over control fully at our club and is blundering around like a fish out of water. He shoved aside Dalrymple and Thelwell and since then we have had his sole dictatorship. Him and Sellars are like Laurel and Hardy to me. As inept as Lage was, the deeper questioning has to be how effective are those pair..?? Did Lage want the players that were brought in over summer, or did Shi and Sellars dump them on him, saying: we have spent big money on them, now you get coaching them. Also, our big problem of no strikers about before Costa is: whose fault was that..?? Lage's or the two S men's..??? The malaise and blame runs deeper than just Lage.
Correct. I'd fire Jeff and Sellers.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah. It's just Bruno is cack. People want to set the whole club on fire, when really we've got the best squad we've ever had and a useless motivator/tactician. I am looking forward to the Chelsea game now after dreading each game since March last year.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The questions that need to be asked at our club are simple and as follows...

What is a goal?
Why are they important in football games?
How do you score one?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah. It's just Bruno is cack. People want to set the whole club on fire, when really we've got the best squad we've ever had and a useless motivator/tactician. I am looking forward to the Chelsea game now after dreading each game since March last year.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm hoping that what you say really is the case. However, part of me can't escape that Nuno aside, all of their manager appointments have been poor. Nuno saved the owners, basically. Did they strike lucky with a total fluke they'll never repeat?

Was all this "best years of the past 40 years" down to Fosun or Nuno? So far, we've done nothing of note under any manager other than Nuno and his coaching team.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’d have zero goals and we don’t cross.

While I agree that most strikers would struggle for us, Haaland can score goals for anyone. I think too many have forgotten what attacking football looks like, so starved are we of it. Strikers are meant to work, too! Haaland doesn't just stand there getting chances delivered to him on a plate. His goal against us for example, it's not as if one of our players doesn't pick the ball up in similar positions...they do it several times a match. But do they drive forward, twist the defender and unleash a powerful shot? No, never. They stop, look around, or do an instant back heel or flick to no one.

Haaland is a ridiculous level ,anyway, put him in a Championship team and he alone is good enough to get them promoted. But you dont' have to be that good. Look at that hat trick Trossard scored. The first 2 goals at least, are not tap ins, he has work to do, to get into position, hold a defender off, he has to move.

Our lot don't do any of that. Well, when Costa came on, that showed us what we are missing. Suddenly we looked like we at last had a clue in attack. And Haaland, Kane etc are presumably a lot better than Costa.

A scoring problem as bad as ours is not going to be down to just one thing. It's lots of factors added together. Lack of goal scorers is one, But also the team has been badly coached in how to play to compensate for that. How to share goals through the team, score set pieces etc. It's the individual players, it's the tactics, it's the manager. It's a real mess for the new manager to sort out.

Back
Top Bottom