Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ipad and late defeats....

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We saw on Saturday the inevitable outcome of an over-reliance on digital technology in real time in making rapid tactical decisions.

Old school Robins outsmarts new kid on the block, because he is tuned in to what is actually happening on the pitch.

Oneil left stranded in the moment, unable to go through the laborious process of consulting the screen and his digital assitant.
He flounders, fails to act and the rest is history.

A similar process just occurred in the ManU game, where again Oneil failed to respond quickly enough to a real time shift in tactical
requirements.

The old maxim holds good: a digital skill always involves the loss or weakening of the analogue skill.
Luddite!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t agree with the opening post.

However people are largely misconstruing his point. Which I believe is that time is being wasted reviewing things on the iPad rather than just watching with his eyes and being quicker to make changes.
Agree he can’t watch the game and the iPad at the same time, but from what I’ve seen he’s only looking at short passages of play/ stats at a time, and presumably is determining what bits to look at again based on what he’s seen with his own eyes watching the game. Maybe if he’s looking at additional data before finalising some decisions there maybe a bit of a delay, but any downside there might be offset by the fact decisions he makes are better. Probably when you look at the time he spends looking at iPad compared to time he’s on the touch line watching the match it’s a relatively small percentage of the time

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is it’s only a second generation iPad because the tight *******s Fosun won’t invest in anything newer. So Fosun’s fault, not Gary’s.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree he can’t watch the game and the iPad at the same time, but from what I’ve seen he’s only looking at short passages of play/ stats at a time, and presumably is determining what bits to look at again based on what he’s seen with his own eyes watching the game. Maybe if he’s looking at additional data before finalising some decisions there maybe a bit of a delay, but any downside there might be offset by the fact decisions he makes are better. Probably when you look at the time he spends looking at iPad compared to time he’s on the touch line watching the match it’s a relatively small percentage of the time
Its a good point. It must really be a distracting influence and take attention away from other details.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, it most certainly will happen again that's for sure, but please lord let the balls up or two take place on 12 or 49 minutes next time so there is some time to address things.
Watford now Coventry is turning me into a quivering wreck and will have me reaching for the bottle next time should we find ourselves in similar circumstances.
Tell me about it pal. My lad was in utter disbelief at it but me being a veteran I wasn’t shocked. There’s always next year I guess.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have been non stop thinking about it since Saturday. It was the most mental 10 mins football since we collapsed late on versus the **** in the 1-5.

Some of our decisions were just mental. I’m actually still struggling to comprehend how it played out. That 2nd goal is one of the worst goals I have ever, ever seen a Wolves side concede. There are at least 6 individual errors even after Lemina gave it away, it’s incredible really.
Dunno Brighton away last season has gotta be the worst for an incredible sequence of bad decisions over the course of one game.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
giphy.gif

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is it’s only a second generation iPad because the tight *******s Fosun won’t invest in anything newer. So Fosun’s fault, not Gary’s.
I'm not sure it is. I saw a close up photo of it and I didn't recognise which generation it was. Any ideas?
3210330182_60c7739028_o-57406a775f9b58723d5c1619.png

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
My observation from that 9 minutes.

We got over ran as we were still set up to chase the game rather than defend it.

Could/Should he have changed it in those minutes. Yes

Not even sure we had the subs.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a good point. It must really be a distracting influence and take attention away from other details.
No what I said is it’s not much of a distraction as the amount of time spent on iPad is small compared to time watching live game, and it provides additional information that wouldn’t be available if he just watched the whole game live with no ipad

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My observation from that 9 minutes.

We got over ran as we were still set up to chase the game rather than defend it.

Could/Should he have changed it in those minutes. Yes

Not even sure we had the subs.
We had boubacar whom I would consider an excellent sub in this situation.

Just making a sub would helped

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No what I said is it’s not much of a distraction as the amount of time spent on iPad is small compared to time watching live game, and it provides additional information that wouldn’t be available if he just watched the whole game live with no ipad
You might disagree but i thought it a good way of describing how distraction from the real time of the game at a critical moment could take place. e

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
as someone who isn't so quick to call our manger the second coming of god what i am impressed by is the use of the ipad and other technology and hope to see more of it, for this i applaud GON.
Yes, perhaps in addition we could incorporate drone technology so that when their center forward is about to bury one in your net on 97 minutes, the opposition coach (or drone commander) can temporarily freeze the players legs until the danger is averted.

Ok, it may mean that the coach (or drone commander) receives a red and is sent to the stands for ungentlemanly conduct and the drone loses it's air worthiness certificate for a month, but our victory would at least be secured.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing you can more easily do with an iPad is see parts of the game from different camera angles. Bring at pitch level close to halfway line doesn’t always give you the best view of play. In the past and currently there have been/are managers who like to watch some of the match from the stands as the feel it gives a better overview of the game

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Yes, perhaps in addition we could incorporate drone technology so that when their center forward is about to bury one in your net on 97 minutes, the opposition coach (or drone commander) can temporarily freeze the players legs until the danger is averted.

Ok, it may mean that the coach (or drone commander) receives a red and is sent to the stands for ungentlemanly conduct and the drone loses it's air worthiness certificate for a month, but our victory would at least be secured.
Genius level thinking. Be honest... It's you, isn't it Gary?

Back
Top Bottom