Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Interesting stat for those not convinced by our defence

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was browsing reddit earlier today and came across this statistic that was posted:

Wolves have been substantially better than their results indicate, especially in defence. Fun fact: Wolves conceded the very least shots in the whole league (12) and only 1 big chance.

Considering we have played both Everton and Leicester who are very reputable teams in this league, to have conceded the least amount of shots in the league is impressive, more so when you consider the fact that the two goals we conceded against Leicester where just unlucky and the fact that against Everton it could be argued that Coady and Boly looked like nerves got the better of them.

D

Deleted member 3751

Was browsing reddit earlier today and came across this statistic that was posted:

Wolves have been substantially better than their results indicate, especially in defence. Fun fact: Wolves conceded the very least shots in the whole league (12) and only 1 big chance.

Considering we have played both Everton and Leicester who are very reputable teams in this league, to have conceded the least amount of shots in the league is impressive, more so when you consider the fact that the two goals we conceded against Leicester where just unlucky and the fact that against Everton it could be argued that Coady and Boly looked like nerves got the better of them.

But we're **** and in a relegation dogfight because we sold a left back aren't we?!:rolleyes:

We've been fine, some players have been below par but they'll catch up and the ones that don't will get dropped. It's likely we'll lose on Saturday and more doom will be prophecised (is that a word?) but we'll get going soon in terms of points. We're actually better than a lot of our fans give us credit for

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Four goals shipped, however Leicester’s were gifted due to the own goal and deflection!

Apart from that they never threatened...

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ha ha.

1 big chance yet four goals shipped.

I get the point you’re trying to make but some statistics aren’t worth the digital nanomodules they’re transmitted by.
A lot of the chances we've conceded haven't really been "big" chances for the opposition per say.

Maddison, any other day that gets deflected out, and if not Patricio makes the save.

Doherty's OG, nothing needs to be said about that

Richarlisons first, just kinda fell to him from a scrappy freekick

Richarlisons second was a quality finish and used Coady's position to his advantage, most other players would not score from there imo.

The stat to look at here is the fact that we've conceded the least amount of shots in the league, with the shape that we hold, most games we won't be conceding two goals.

The only teams where this stat could be considered redundant against would be some of the top 6, as against Everton and Leicester, we were allowed to have the majority of the ball, leading to a low amount of shots conceded. Against teams like City, Liverpool etc, they will likely have more of the ball and obviously, our defence will be given a bigger test.

However, against the teams outside of the top 6, we should be fine imo. I personally think that this stat is very telling, but I guess we can just agree to disagree :)

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said this the other day that our expected for and against goals is very good, which is an important statistic whether you like it or not and is reflected in betting markets.

wolf of sedgley

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is an interesting sets of statistics, that do help to settle the mind a bit. Richarlison's second was a big chance- and he put it away.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve played again 10 men for the 70 mins of the 180 played & have never been ahead in the game. I wouldn’t expect teams to be pushing on shooting at us.

Agreed but that's failing of our attack, you'd think we've been ripped apart both games.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're set up well defensively: we don't look like getting caught on the counter-attack and get men behind the ball quickly when we lose possession. The system, on the whole, works. That means we tend not to concede excellent chances. However, all the goals we've conceded this season have come from mistakes. In order:

1. Everton (Richarlison): failing to clear with a routine free-kick into the box. Those things happen sometimes but given the frequency with which we conceded from set-pieces last year I'd be a little concerned, and this is the only goal you can perhaps put down to systemic rather than individual failure (though Boly should have done better). However, we coped well with set-pieces the rest of that game and against Leicester.

2. Everton (Richarlison): Neves fails to track Richarlison, defence a bit slow in coming out to close down. More of a personal/personnel failure than a tactical error.

3. Leicester (OG): Coady gets caught a bit flat-footed under a cross, his back header hits Doherty and flies in. Again, these things happen and we otherwise dealt well with crosses (Coady in particular, actually).

4. Leicester (Maddson): Coady doesn't close down quickly enough despite there being cover if he's beaten. But ball still takes a horrible deflection.

I think we have been a little unlucky, all told, and it's easier to improve players than to suddenly change a system that's failing. The mistakes have been minimal and we'd often get away with them. For goal 1 > ball could have gone anywhere. For 2 > few players would have had Richarlison's ability to finish. For 3 > desperately unlucky. For 4 > deflection could have gone anywhere and wouldn't ordinarily go in.

D

Deleted member 3751

Ha ha.

1 big chance yet four goals shipped.

I get the point you’re trying to make but some statistics aren’t worth the digital nanomodules they’re transmitted by.
How often does Boly head it straight off the opponent's head and it drops to their star player? How often would Coady get a slight flick on a header to divert it like a bullet in off Doherty's reacting forehead? How often does a nothing shot take a flick off a defender to go right into the corner? (Ok the last one probably, 10% of the time)

They're anomalies, it's not going to go on for another 36 games

S

ShropshireLad

Fun fact: Wolves conceded the very least shots in the whole league (12) and only 1 big chance.
That's very interesting. However, up the other end we've had chances but haven't converted. That needs to be remedied. The best form of defence is to attack.

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to back up either argument but a couple of posters have wrote about evertons first goal being a scrappy or routine free kick, I was right behind baines free kick and the cross was an absolute beauty, perfectly directed to be difficult to defend against, yes you could argue boly should have done better but a peach of a ball

S

ShropshireLad

Not to back up either argument but a couple of posters have wrote about evertons first goal being a scrappy or routine free kick, I was right behind baines free kick and the cross was an absolute beauty, perfectly directed to be difficult to defend against, yes you could argue boly should have done better but a peach of a ball
We have to wizen up to defend them, though.

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How often does Boly head it straight off the opponent's head and it drops to their star player?

at least once a game he smashes a clearance 10 yards into one of their players, same all last season

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
at least once a game he smashes a clearance 10 yards into one of their players, same all last season
I saw some "highlights" of the 4-1 defeat at Villa the other day, defending was shocking, and it's hard to see how the same players could improve to stop some of the attacks we are about to face
I think we dropped a major ******* by not spending big on one or two quality CD

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Makes me laugh all the nonsense about him being a world class defender last year. His concentration is poor but got away with it a lot last season. Its telling that weve seen him sprinting flat out more this season already than the whole of last seasons games put together. He's going to made to look failry average i think

M

Mr Wolf

How often does a nothing shot take a flick off a defender to go right into the corner? (Ok the last one probably, 10% of the time)
The deflection might have been unlucky but we got hit when we gave the ball away high up & allowed a smart player to get a shot off centrally from 20 yards out. This was Maddison, thankfully Sigaurdason got subbed the other week but we still have to face David Silva this weekend & Arnautavic the weekend after.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has a team ever gone from conceding the fewest total shots to the most shots in the space of a weekend?

I think we may be the first.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve played again 10 men for the 70 mins of the 180 played & have never been ahead in the game. I wouldn’t expect teams to be pushing on shooting at us.
That's the flip side for sure...

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would also argue that two games is too small a sample to read anything into...

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I saw some "highlights" of the 4-1 defeat at Villa the other day, defending was shocking, and it's hard to see how the same players could improve to stop some of the attacks we are about to face

Except we had an off day and 2/5 of the defence is different.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There’s no evidence we would have conceded any less than the 4 goals if we had, probably would have made no difference. If anything we might have conceded more with new players settling into the system...

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wonder what this stat will look like after Saturday.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what this stat will look like after Saturday.
No doubt we'll concede more shots on goal. We won't have as much possession and City will pose a massive threat with their attacking quality. However, I don't think we'll get bulldozed how the likes of Huddersfield did last weekend. I think Nuno's strong focus on organisation and shape will prevent a hammering from happening and hopefully, we can frustrate them like we did at the Etihad last season in the league cup. If we do happen to lose the game I see it by a margin of 2 goals and not something like 4 or 5.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I can't remember that once from last season.

But twice in the first 10 minutes on Saturday, he played beautifully weighted long passes through that created clear chances for us. And at least 5 times a match, he wins headed clearances. Every match he'll make another 5 tackles, interceptions etc. Let alone the times he doesn't even have to make a tackle because opponents take one look at him and pass backwards as they are afraid to take him on.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Danny Baath was bad in that match and all the goals conceded, came from his side as he had replaced Ryan Bennett. The major ****** was not taking him off at half time in that match.
Bennett has looked fine so far this season, as he did last season, very reliable. And Boly looked nervous in the first match, but also looked fine on Saturday. Not to blame for any of the goals, did everything expected of him and looked comfortable. Had Vardy in his big pockets.

V

Virginia Wolf

It's all fine margins in this division. Either game could have gone very differently, it's not like we were mullered.

We definitely need to tighten up our defence and commit fewer errors. We also need to figure out how to break down stubborn opposition defences consisting of players more skilled than we were used to in the Championship. But these are not huge problems - they'll come with time and some patience is required. It's not like we're miles off. Also both games have had unusual factors that did not do well for us: 10-men both times (we're not good at coping with 10-man tactics) and an own goal.

Also, conceding first is something we absolutely need to avoid at all costs. Both last season and now this, we've struggled much more to win when we're on the back foot. Thankfully last season it didn't happen very often. It will be much more frequent this season.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh suddenly Boly is ****?

Laughable how little some people know about football it’s not worth debating, like the villa fan who told me we would of won the World Cup if England had took Grealish, I only have so many breaths on this planet it’s not worth wasting them on people who have no clue

D

Deleted member LP 3925

In the great normal distribution curve of football goal chances, at the end of the season I doubt these goal chances we’ve conceded will be regarded as anomalies or outliers (Way To Go, Hawkguy).

Or I might just be a bell-end shaped curve?

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Oh suddenly Boly is ****?

Laughable how little some people know about football it’s not worth debating, like the villa fan who told me we would of won the World Cup if England had took Grealish, I only have so many breaths on this planet it’s not worth wasting them on people who have no clue
no one said he was ****. I'm saying he's not the world beater that people think, but apparently disagreeing with the mainstream on here means you know nothing.

boring

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no one said he was ****. I'm saying he's not the world beater that people think, but apparently disagreeing with the mainstream on here means you know nothing.

boring

To be fair i don't think anyone has called him a world beater, there's a reason he didn't get into Porto's squad. Still believe he has the attributes to succeed in the Prem.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"the very least shots" - or the fewest?

Back
Top Bottom