Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Inside out documentary

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was just on bbc1...with Danny Baath, basically asking why there's so few Asian professional footballers.
(Also showed Compton training ground).

Y

Yout85

Anger was my favourite.

Lewis Black's voiceover skills are top notch.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was just on bbc1...with Danny Baath, basically asking why there's so few Asian professional footballers.
(Also showed Compton training ground).

Questions like that really annoy me. I have never seen anyone ask why there are so few white sprinters or why don't we have more short basketball players.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless you think Asian people are genetically unsuited to playing football, then that's not really a very good analogy.

Apologies if it came across that way. I can see what you mean.

I guess certain cultures within the same society will prioritise different careers as being important. Which is probably the question that was being asked on the tv. I think, in this country at least, if you are good enough and want it then professional sport will find you.

S

ShropshireLad

Questions like that really annoy me. I have never seen anyone ask why there are so few white sprinters or why don't we have more short basketball players.
I had taught a lad for a couple of years who was very good at History and indeed he achieved an A at GCSE. When his dad came in for parents evening prior to the exam we chatted about his prospects for the following year and I encouraged him to take A level History but his dad said he wanted him to follow his sporting interests to which I was surprised as he'd kept them quiet (from me at least). When I asked which sport, he replied basketball to which I expressed some concern about his height as he was about 5ft 7 or 8 - a couple of inches or so smaller than me. Then his dad said, "Well, he plays for England U18s," and he was only 16 at the time. :eek:

After A levels he went to Uni in the States and became a coach and by all appearances when he came back to visit us one day was obviously very well paid. I have to say that a few members of staff pulled my leg some. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We do and they are always called the 'Great White Hope' or the 'Golden Female/Male'.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Height is a genetic thing whereas black people are supposedly blessed with faster muscle fibres (GCSE p.e sorry!). South Asians are neither smaller or slower etc, so there must be some cultural barrier there.
I only know 6 Asian lads through work none are that great...Just guessing but most of the better players I know had pushy parents who loved football or played it themselves...maybe not so common with Asian kids?

M

Mr Wolf

It's probably down to the culture, you don't see many Asian families taking their kids to Saturday or Sunday morning football despite a lot of the kids at school having an interest in football.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an odd one, might be culture based, however football is extremely popular and alot of Asian decent certainly play at amateur level. One team we play against down here in London has 3 lads of Asian decent from Willenhall playing for them, great scenes when we turned up to play each other in our respective Wolves shirts.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Did it in my degree, basically it's either social/physical effects ie parents lean them towards other sports or it's the white male's fault.

S

ShropshireLad

I had taught a lad for a couple of years who was very good at History and indeed he achieved an A at GCSE. When his dad came in for parents evening prior to the exam we chatted about his prospects for the following year and I encouraged him to take A level History but his dad said he wanted him to follow his sporting interests to which I was surprised as he'd kept them quiet (from me at least). When I asked which sport, he replied basketball to which I expressed some concern about his height as he was about 5ft 7 or 8 - a couple of inches or so smaller than me. Then his dad said, "Well, he plays for England U18s," and he was only 16 at the time. :eek:

After A levels he went to Uni in the States and became a coach and by all appearances when he came back to visit us one day was obviously very well paid. I have to say that a few members of staff pulled my leg some. :oops:
If I can digress a while...
I heard on the radio that the very same careers teacher at a Newcastle school who told Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) that he ought to forget about a career in the music industry and take up a trade also gave the same advice to Alan Shearer about football. :D

I wonder how many talented kids who might otherwise have become celebs in their field ended up as manual workers? :eek:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
If I can digress a while...
I heard on the radio that the very same careers teacher at a Newcastle school who told Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) that he ought to forget about a career in the music industry and take up a trade also gave the same advice to Alan Shearer about football. :D

I wonder how many talented kids who might otherwise have become celebs in their field ended up as manual workers? :eek:

Not many would be my guess. If you can be persuaded not to become a musician or a footballer by a careers teacher then you probably didn't want it enough to make it anyway.

D

Deleted member 5910

I’d imagine it’s because they are often brought up by people who follow other sports, like cricket, rather than football.

Spot on. Growing up in a predominantly Asian school, those lads played Cricket with very few exceptions. It's a big part of Asian culture passed from father to son. Hopefully the documentary didn't suggest systemic racism was the cause because that would just be more of the same typical, lazy anti-white rhetoric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom