Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If only Mick was still here

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd be odds on to bounce straight back
We'd be more likely to keep the squad together, they are his players after all
We'd have a Manager who knows the League and the teams in it and has the experience needed.
Going into our first competitive match we'd be organised and ready to hit the ground running.
The players would have the certainty of a playing style that they are familiar with and would not be required to take part in some kind of football experiment!

How good does all of that seem tonight as six years good work begins to unravel needlessly and we gaze into the uncertain future! How long will we be in the wilderness this time???

I have no doubt that this post will be ridiculed but my respectful submissions are set out above and I for one would feel so much more confident about the clubs immediate future with that continuity, it worked for Newcastle and the Bags!

Deep down, you guys who have nailed your colours to the Staale mast, and who have ridiculed McCarthy on here, might have that uneasy feeling that I might just be right but you are never going to admit it!

As Woy said "be careful what you wish for", . . there is an awful lot to be said for continuity!!!

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd be odds on to bounce straight back
We'd be more likely to keep the squad together, they are his players after all
We'd have a Manager who knows the League and the teams in it and has the experience needed.
Going into our first competitive match we'd be organised and ready to hit the ground running.
The players would have the certainty of a playing style that they are familiar with and would not be required to take part in some kind of football experiment!

I agree with all of the above (apart from keeping the squad together - its inevitable that if players become proven Premiership players, they want to stay there).

However, taking all of the above into consideration, Mick would probably get us promoted - and bring us back down again.

Mick was fantastic while he was with us - but he'd ran out of ideas and took us as far as he could. He's a Championship manager - not a Premiership manager.

I liked Mick - but his time had come. We all need to move on. The Mick era has finished.

S

Sandwell Wolf

I think Mick would have convinced both Kightly and Fletcher to stay, I really do.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the board did the worst possible thing they could when they sacked Mick - they listened to the fans. What do fans know? The board went from singing Stale's praises to hating his guts virtually overnight.

That said, I think there was a glass ceiling with Mick, and it was clear that the best he could manage was scraping the bottom end of the Premier League. As a club with ambition, I would hope we do better than that in the long run of the next 15 years or so. That's why seems like a good choice, if only because he remains an enigma with apparent potential.

It would be unwise for us to still have Mick. If the players don't take to Stale, that's probably their fault more than anyone else's.

M

Mugwump

I don't think I have ever come across anyone who is so obviously wishing us to fail as you are waggy. We haven't even kicked off the season or given the new regime a chance before posting such twaddle. Don't try to tell me either you hope stale is a success, you don't, that's why you are wishing for the bloke who built the squad that was hopelessly inadequate to compete in the top flight. The sooner McCarthy gets another job the better, then you can go and blindly follow him there.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This obsession has become unhealthy. I was going to say "...is becoming" but it's too late Waggie, there's no way you will ever become rational again.

wolfinaguernsey

Reaction score
Was thinking the other day if Kites would of stayed if Mick had been here but there you go we will never know

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why can't some of you show some respect for the OP? Disagree? Fine but debate the point

I agree with his post

However Mick had to go. Can't lose like that to them

V

VikingWolf

I must say I had hoped people would at least give until Ståle had lost a few in a row before the moaning set in... In Norway we have a saying "Det hjelper ikke å gråte over spilt melk" directly translated; "There's no help in crying over spilled milk" I'm sure you have a similar one. What good could possibly come from posting stuff like this?

I'd have nothing against a cry for consistency, if it was posted prior to Mick getting sacked, and a lot of sympathy for the poster if it was posted as a reaction immediately after he was indeed sacked, put coming now? Mere days before the start of the new season, several months after Mick was let go, it's no good. It's only possible outcome is to make it more difficult for the new manager to get things moving in the right direction.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's really hard to revisit a conversation when it's obvious that some on here are wetting their pants and rewriting history in one foul swoop.

We haven't kicked the ball in anger yet this season and then I read a thread that screams divisive partisan nonsense that's really a pant wetting reaction to the fact that Kightly wanted to leave for the money and Fletcher wanting to stay in the Prem.

The OP is also disingenuous because the claim that Mick would have immeditely brought us back up is now impossible to prove. What is provable and obvious is that Mick took us down AND then went on a media blitz to tell us where he went wrong. He admitted his failures in clear terms. Man up like Mick did.

I don't know about the rest of you but I respect the fact that Mick gave us 3 extremely difficult seasons in the prem and I'll leave it at that but the fact that his legacy is a relegation informs me that I should be cautiously optimistic despite the fact that the new manager and coach (don't forget him) have their work cut out.

I am excited that the team is headed in a new direction, there is a desire now to play football and to play it at a level that honours and our glorious club's history, the sport and those that engage in it.

The reality is that the kick and rush bull$$$$ we endured under Mick's reign ultimately led us to failure. We are now, as a club, finally embracing the style of football that will hopefully get us up to the top league and allow us to be competitive for many seasons to come.

The old ways and old days under Mick were really not that glorious, we were cack. I'm confident we are putting in place a squad and a coaching approach that will pay dividends for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kaohsiungwolf

The board went from singing Stale's praises to hating his guts virtually overnight.

And Stale has had absolutley nothing to do with Kightly / Fletcher (Jarvis) leaving - It was going to happen regardless, with or without Mick.

After the $%#@ shower that was last season I doubt Mick would have got us back up, he lost the team and the plot (the Egg being a prime example) - who on earth would want to join Wolves while that management structure was still in place? Coupled with that, his transfer acumen in recent times has been horrific. With the exception of Fletcher, who he consistenly seemed to loathe playing despite terrific form and fitness he's barely made a successful signing since Kightly / Jarvis etc. Doyle had one excellent season, one ok season and then completely dropped off last season, probably due to the malaise created by the McCarthy camp.

I'm far from a happy clapper but try to be a little balanced or rational about it. There is a long long way to go to sweep up the monumental mess from last season. We gave Mick plenty of time first time round (3 seasons to get promoted is a rarity these days), it's only fair we give Stale the same - from what we've heard from abroad he certainly knows what he wants and is a 'doer'. This is the kind of person we need and to my mind we should at the very least give him the benefit of the doubt, a ball has yet to be kicked and the transfer window is barely open.

D

Dewsburywolf

Mick McCarthy wasn't as bad as he was painted & IF Frimpong (& indeed O'Hara) had stayed fit we'd quite possibly had stayed in the Prem but the only facts of the matter are that he(they) didn't & the Albion game relegated us & caused the sales of Fletcher, Kightly & possibly Jarvis. The fact that Mick probably should've gone sooner than he did or been left in charge til Summer is now, sadly, irrelevant

The board are a damned sight more culpable than Mick (probably Sunderland's board were the same) in that the wages issue was more to blame than anything

M

Mugwump

Why can't some of you show some respect for the OP? Disagree? Fine but debate the point

I agree with his post

With all due respect, this is just another of a long line of people panicking about stuff that's going on in pre season and not giving the new manager a chance. We don't have a clue how things will go. I have seen you get very agitated at people blowing things out of proportion this pre season. It's obvious waggy is pining for McCarthy and its getting a bit tiresome. He is gone because he wasn't good enough in the end. What's next, people starting "if only Stan cullis was still here " threads?

R

reanswolf

Mick McCarthy wasn't as bad as he was painted & IF Frimpong (& indeed O'Hara) had stayed fit we'd quite possibly had stayed in the Prem but the only facts of the matter are that he(they) didn't & the Albion game relegated us & caused the sales of Fletcher, Kightly & possibly Jarvis. The fact that Mick probably should've gone sooner than he did or been left in charge til Summer is now, sadly, irrelevant

The board are a damned sight more culpable than Mick (probably Sunderland's board were the same) in that the wages issue was more to blame than anything

I agree with this massively. I agree MM had to go, but IF the board had put him on a level playing field with most other clubs around us wage wise, he might have been able to take us that little bit higher. As it was the club, through their own financial low wage strategy made it very difficult for him (or any manager).I just do not know if MM would have done better if we had been able to bring in quality.

The jury is out for me re. MM, but the board were extremely culpable. Still seems to me, a lot of fans fail to acknowledge this.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I started to write a long reply to tear Waggy and this ridiculous post to shreds.

I then deleted it as I have realised I have now gone from disagreeing with you to simply laughing at you.

You need help mate, your infatuation has gone beyond healthy.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'd probably have helped to keep more players....but these are a bunch of players who accrued just 25/26 (don't want to check the table!) points last year. Is it really that essential to keep hold of the core of that team?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A relatively reasonable bunch of players capitulated to relegation showing they weren't playing for the manager.

Mick wouldn't have kept the unhappy players here and we would be playing kabbadiball for another year.

C

crasm98

Mick did a great job here over the years, and will always have a lot of respect from me, and yeah I didn't want him to be sacked but something had to change and thankfully it has.

Last season was the first season in 20 years that I dreaded going and was never looking forward to going to the match, and that's not right because football is in my genes.

It was obvious we would lose our players, no matter who was in charge. We needed fresh ideas, fresh blood, and a different era.

I just hope it works out, but will be behind stale no matter what!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't this be made the very very last "we should have kept Mick" thread"

They're tedious, boring and totally stupid.

D

Deleted member 4008

Last time I looked Mick got sacked because we were heading for the drop and he had brought the players thst failed us so badly last season. He also nearly got us relegated the season before unless Hunt had scored. Also Mick brought in Roger Johnson enough said . The problems for me start at the top. After getting rid of Mick we appointed Terry Connor . Morgan has made some very strange decisions for me and we seem to mess about to much rather than commiting to things . Look at the shambles of Warnock, Bruce, and Curbishley and then we appoint Connor.

Things never really change if you look at the Preseason. Henry comes out in paper last week to say sort it out and in a matter of a week . We have Berra demanding a transfer , Kightly gone and Fletcher handing in a transfer request. I think it is not very well behind the scenes at Mol as it is odd that Henry spoke out and then within a few days it seems a bit chaotic. I expected Fletch and Jarvis to go but not really Kightly or Berra.

Lets all wait and see what happens next . i will have a little bet that more come out and want to leave and we get more loan signings in. I am not having a go at loan signings but as I stated earlier in my post it shows caution so we can off load them at the end of the season if we don't go up.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Posting this stuff is close to active trolling so it could be in need of some moderation, I agree.

The McCarthy support rump dont really attempt to make a rational case to be honest. Rather empty assertions about the merits of continuity. How many years and how many millions was McCarthy going to get before there was any progress?? We had been poor for two years despite spending 35m, then were abject and embarrassing despite spending another 10m. McCarthy got a lot longer than most would have in this situation. His legacy was also a de-skilled, demoralised and fractious bunch of players, desperate to get out of the door.

Please no more of this nonsense.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick was the best Wolves manager in 30 years but, alas, his time had come.

S

Shergar

I agree with his post

The OP's obsession with St Mick is unhealthy and disturbing, and he refers to West Brom as 'The Bags' <-- wtf?.. I didn't have a problem with gays but WWM is making me seriously homophobic.

Waggy is my all time favourite Wolves player and I dislike the fact that his name is used by someone so deluded and obsessional.

If the obsession is a wind up, it works . If not, seek help, please.

A

Andy Grays perm

Oh dear as time goes by the Mick myths will grow. Soon we will have statue for Mick poll etc etc. I hope some remember the miserable football we endured over 3 years at the Mol with a handful of highlights. Argue that he was a great Champ manager with little resources and could turn a mess in to something decent then i will join the march and support you 100%. Argue that he was a top PL manager who wasnt given the money and was not given enough time then i suggest you are terribly wrong! The reality is that some people think He was/is great that is their right. Many think his time had come that is their right but if we are going to have this stupidness every time Solbakkens new team do not win 10-0 then the end is nigh for the forum. Move on to 2012/2013 see what happens and support Wolves not individual dogma!

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick did well to get up & stay up but couldn't take the next step. Wolves went out every week under him scared of the opposition, "oh no, Sunderland!!", which is the difference between our team of the last three years and Norwich/Swansea - they had inferior players but believed they were equal to the opposition and it showed in their play

B

BoltonWolf

Ha ha ha ha lmfao...let it go now....in Stale we trust!!!

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look forwards - don't look back!!

A

andyc225

Why don't we go the whole hog and rename the North Bank the Mick McCarthy stand? Seriously, he's gone. Get over it.

D

Deleted member 4008

Mick did well to get up & stay up but couldn't take the next step. Wolves went out every week under him scared of the opposition, "oh no, Sunderland!!", which is the difference between our team of the last three years and Norwich/Swansea - they had inferior players but believed they were equal to the opposition and it showed in their play

I agree but we were fearless in our first season more than the last two . The problem was that MM got stuck in his ways and kept the same players instead of changing 4/5 players for better ones.

L

luckyjim

How can you explain the success of other teams who paid even lower wages than Wolves and had spent a lot less on transfer fees? I agree we should have paid higher wages, but Mick was shown up blind by the likes of Lambert and Rogers. The signs were there in 09/10 with the Birmingham game - I lost count the amount of times we played like an away team at home. I think Frimpong was a player who played in spite of Mick's instructions - his lack of inhibition contrasted painfully with the rest of the squad.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
What is the point of continuity when the method is clearly limited and so flawed???

We needed to go with a fresh approach.

M

morosewolf

The OP is correct in as much as MM is a proven successful championship manager where as Stale is an unknown quantity in this league.

What he continually fails to recognise is the very fact we are in the Championship is exactly the reason he shouldn't be here.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Waggy - I think there are a couple of valid points in your OP and I probably would be feeling slightly more confident about going straight back up next season if McCarthy was still in charge (more of a case of better the devil you know and all that).

However, as much as I was a fan of McCarthy and am very grateful for everything he did for us, the time was right for him to go. What we need now is for everyone (especially Morgan) to fully support our new Manager as he goes about his business and placing his own footprint on the Club. Yes, losing Kightly and Fletcher is disappointing (I actually don't think they would have stayed if McCarthy was still in charge) and yes, the rumours coming out about player unrest are worrying, but Solbakken's record and pedigree suggests that we could just come out of this stronger.

So let's give Solbakken our full backing from the off (and as a longtime Wolves supporter, I know you will) and who knows, we may just get back to where we all want to be

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He had to go when he did probably sooner.

I await with interest how patient the fans will be

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How can you explain the success of other teams who paid even lower wages than Wolves and had spent a lot less on transfer fees? I agree we should have paid higher wages, but Mick was shown up blind by the likes of Lambert and Rogers. The signs were there in 09/10 with the Birmingham game - I lost count the amount of times we played like an away team at home. I think Frimpong was a player who played in spite of Mick's instructions - his lack of inhibition contrasted painfully with the rest of the squad.

Frimpong's approach was absolutely a fantastic thing to see - and who knows what might have happened if he'd stayed fit for us as Dewsbury says, I certainly v.much doubt we'd've sunk so pathetically as we did in the end myself - but I'd be very surprised if his approach was in spite of Mick!

I think the use of him & JoH showed what Mick wanted. Sadly, it just didn't work out.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The OP's obsession with St Mick is unhealthy and disturbing, and he refers to West Brom as 'The Bags' <-- wtf?.. I didn't have a problem with gays but WWM is making me seriously homophobic.

Waggy is my all time favourite Wolves player and I dislike the fact that his name is used by someone so deluded and obsessional.

If the obsession is a wind up, it works . If not, seek help, please.
north west wanderer is correct.this is a discussion board and people are aloud talk about what ever topic they want so you shergar are a complete $$$$ and if u don't like it don't read it or don't comment it's called the $$$$ing back button

Back
Top Bottom