Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ian Burchnall

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Sounds a decent coach. Big difference between being a coach and being a manager. Shaun Derry wasn’t a great manager but he’s a respected coach. Everyone was moaning that Lopetegui brought 9 coaches with him and O’Neil brought 2, at least he’s adding to his team.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those interested in his coaching career in Norway, he always came across as a David Brent style character to me. Full of buzzwords and no doubt a whizz at PowerPoint presentations, but a job at a Premier League club, you have got to be kidding.
Bloody hell mate, you're the first person on here who has actually heard of him!!!!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your last sentence sums up neatly what's happened at Wolves in 4 short years. 4 years ago we genuinely were on the cusp of something great and having gone from that in about 48 months to where we are now is shocking.
You have to give credit to Fosun. For running down the club in an orderly manner.
If they can sell Kilman , Neto and Cunha in the January widow job almost done.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cue the
“In Burchnall we have found a successor until the end of the season, he brings his in depth knowledge of the English & European leagues to the role”
Gallows humour at its finest... I love it!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to give credit to Fosun. For running down the club in an orderly manner.
If they can sell Kilman , Neto and Cunha in the January widow job almost done.
Yes, January is the next big thing in the diary. You do have to wonder what is Fosun's agenda as window by window, month by month they seem to be taking this club further and further into the mire? I think us fans need more than an open letter, we need Fosun to come clean on exactly what their plans are for the club and if they intend to remain how they will go about implementing these plans.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Well the theory of an experienced head to help give guidance is out the window. It seems coaching staff might not be Hobbs's strong suit. Or is just surrounding himself with people who won't try to oust him
Lopetegui always seemed (taking things at face value admittedly) to be very happy with him though, as opposed to Sellars who I suspect he thought was clueless. Everything we've seen suggests he's good on player recruitment, but does that have any relationship to recruiting coaches? Genuinely no idea!

Of course might be brilliant at recruiting coaches, just not great at recruiting very cheap British coaches who will work with less than no budget.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui always seemed (taking things at face value admittedly) to be very happy with him though, as opposed to Sellars who I suspect he thought was clueless. Everything we've seen suggests he's good on player recruitment, but does that have any relationship to recruiting coaches? Genuinely no idea!
Wasn't Sellars out of the door before JL arrived?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read this inspiring report on his departure from FGR…

I love this line. I know the chairman is actually talking about players, but I can’t but help think he’s talking about the (former) coach!

"I like to give people the chance especially when it doesn't look like they've got the tools to do the job. That's certainly how it looked for Ian," chairman Dale Vince told BBC Radio Gloucestershire.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Wasn't Sellars out of the door before JL arrived?
No, Lopetegui appointed 5th November. Sellars sacked 18th. That's how long he took to suss him out I'd say (plus a week to process the dismissal!)

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, Lopetegui appointed 5th November. Sellars sacked 18th. That's how long he took to suss him out I'd say (plus a week to process the dismissal!)
Wasn't he on gardening leave at the point JL was appointed? Said absolutely nothing about the appointment or anything. Took the two weeks to work out the severance package.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One thing I'll say in his defence is that both Anderlecht director of football Fredberg as well as manager Riemer, are quite knowledgeable. Fredberg especially is really starting to to turn Anderlecht around
I remember when Burchnall was hired, Fredberg said he'd be vital in helping then implement their style of play which I think he did well.
Hobbs might be obsessed with nationality but Fredberg isn't.
But I do think what we get here is another good coach, but failed manager when in reality we could do with someone that had had succes as a manager.
That’s good info mate, thank you.

I would argue though, that on the other threads people are saying that O’Neil being a good coach has no bearing on his ability as a manager - I’d argue the reverse is true here, and that this chap being poor as a manager has no impact on his abilities as a coach…

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't he on gardening leave at the point JL was appointed? Said absolutely nothing about the appointment or anything. Took the two weeks to work out the severance package.

Surprised he’s not been rehired by Hobbs as an analyst, since that’s what he was doing in the stands after Lage and his extended family left! :)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s good info mate, thank you.

I would argue though, that ok the other threads people are saying that O’Neil being a good coach has no bearing on his ability as a manager - I’d argue the reverse is true here, and that this chap being poor as a manager has no impact on his abilities as a coach…
Lots of superb coaches have proven unable to handle the top job.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised he’s not been rehired by Hobbs as an analyst, since that’s what he was doing in the stands after Lage and his extended family left! :)
I was seriously tempted to make some reference to the first four letters of your suggested role.....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the theory of an experienced head to help give guidance is out the window. It seems coaching staff might not be Hobbs's strong suit. Or is just surrounding himself with people who won't try to oust him
How do even the most experienced of coaches oust their boss?

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Not sure, I think it was all tied up together though, I feel like if Lopetegui had rated Sellars, he could have stayed. My point really though was that he did seem to think Hobbs knew his stuff, but then he didn't have coach recruitment to judge. Obviously I'm going on reputation for our new signings, but I feel like our squad is as strong as could reasonably be expected to be if we had to turn a huge profit. Every sale was for more than I'd have expected, every incoming cheaper (from the little I know). Hobbs is not the problem IMO.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missing piece of the jigsaw this Mitch Buchanan

Top set pieces and shooting . We will be top 3 this season

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess it will feel like an upgrade when Steve Davis takes temporary charge in December
The most depressing thing is, it could well be an upgrade.

We've got a manager who says

• we've improved in the last 3 weeks
  • the players need to learn not to move around so much
  • I couldn't really see us losing for most of the game (and then decides to radically change the set up by bringing on a 3rd DM/fouling machine)

At least Davis talked sense in the pressers

Yduti

Groupie
Reaction score
I am worried about the managers situation lets say gon is gone what if they hire someone worse like lampard

Back
Top Bottom