Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

I am a legacy fan - yes I am a legacy fan - are you ?

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
they would have probably done better by just building better cars and cheaper ships.
Or, operating in a country that was being re-bult with US investment rather than having to pay them back a massive war loan?

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Please provide his actual quotation to justify this.

This is where the phrase came from, and it was a disgrace.

"Super League Teams Refer To Traditional Fans As 'Legacy Fans'" Super League Clubs Are Focused On 'Fans Of The Future'

That's when this term was created. And wolves like other clubs resisted this move.
Do we not have any respect for the truth anymore?
Shi has openly given a plan as to how we can compete against the top 6 in time by developing our brand in other ways to get finances that otherwise we couldn't raise.
And now people are making up a division between our owners and our fans. Ridiculous. Crazy. And if you disagree with him, then at least do it on the basis of what he has actually said.
I wouldn't blame Fosun if they sold us and we return to championship mediocrity with only memories of the brilliant football and footballers we've watched over the last 6 years. Last season under Lage excepted imo. Separate discussion.
The problem is people want the truth to be aligned to what they believe, not what has actually been said. Jeff Shi's Ask Wolves video is a classic i'll quote what i hear not what is said. It's all over social media and here. If you don't like what he said fine, but don't tell lies about what he said. It's a really poor look.
Good post btw.

T

TheConcourse

Please provide his actual quotation to justify this.

This is where the phrase came from, and it was a disgrace.

"Super League Teams Refer To Traditional Fans As 'Legacy Fans'" Super League Clubs Are Focused On 'Fans Of The Future'

That's when this term was created. And wolves like other clubs resisted this move.
Do we not have any respect for the truth anymore?
Shi has openly given a plan as to how we can compete against the top 6 in time by developing our brand in other ways to get finances that otherwise we couldn't raise.
And now people are making up a division between our owners and our fans. Ridiculous. Crazy. And if you disagree with him, then at least do it on the basis of what he has actually said.
I wouldn't blame Fosun if they sold us and we return to championship mediocrity with only memories of the brilliant football and footballers we've watched over the last 6 years. Last season under Lage excepted imo. Separate discussion.
Well played, sir.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure those who believed Jeff used the phrase “legacy fans” (he didn’t btw but let’s not let the truth get in the way of some drama) walk around saying everyone is “woke” (even though they don’t know what it means).

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure those who believed Jeff used the phrase “legacy fans” (he didn’t btw but let’s not let the truth get in the way of some drama) walk around saying everyone is “woke” (even though they don’t know what it means).
The accepted meaning of words very often change over time due to general (mis)usage.

fleck1

Reaction score
Legacy fan, I'll add it to the list along with "generational talent" and various others as modern terms that make me cringe when I hear them.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Legacy fan, I'll add it to the list along with "generational talent" and various others as modern terms that make me cringe when I hear them.
I agree, they’re also wishy washy terms with no definitive meaning. Like saying someone is world class. Does that mean the best in the world? Or one of the best? Or one of the best in their position?

Generational talent, again is it to be the best of a generation or one of the best? Is it top 5 best, top 10 etc?

Reaction score
What did Jeff say? I genuinely haven’t been bothered to watch it this year, but something he said has obviously riled up some fans?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised nobody has picked up on this, but Jonathan Hunter-Barrett's 'Ask Wolves' has received less views than some of my videos! Only just about scraping over the 1k mark. Russell Jones' video, which elaborates further on some of Shi's points (and does arguably a better job IMO, further reinforcing my view Jeff's address was unnecessarily defensive and lop-sided) hasn't reached 5k, whilst Shi himself has only just scraped over 11k.

There's an awful lot of legacy fans who haven't even watched the bloody videos.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many believe this nonsense but it’s not going to do a thing.

Fosun are worth billions, they have businesses in all different areas yet there’s this idea that once they crack esports it will be good news for our football club?

Zero evidence of that and Shi even says we’re independent. If they wanted to invest, they would. The money is there now if they wanted it to be. The fact they don’t is fine by the way.

They’ve told us, again, it will be sell to buy. So all our business will depend on what goes out meaning everything else is irrelevant.

Now on to the fans.

Let’s be honest the ‘fans’ Shi thinks we have aren’t as committed as locals. They can’t be, it’s not a criticism.

So what’s his long term plan? I presume the dream would be to have us like United with tourists coming over for every game.

However, he’s missing the crucial point that United are only in that position due to success on the pitch.

The type of supporter he craves follow a club based on success. That’s the reality. Even our limited success proves that and, yes, it applies to locals as well but more so abroad. If we win the league three times in a row we’d have fans everywhere. You can buy a global support base through trophies, see PSG, see Man City as recent examples.

So if he really wanted to take us to a level where we have that many fans coming over and becoming a club like that, you need success on the pitch!

But that’s not happening with no investment in the team.

Relegation is a much more realistic outcome for us within the next five years than establishing ourselves in the top six. Much more realistic. Yet daft things like this alienate the people we will then rely on.

Football needs fans, lockdown proved that. And the reality for all clubs outside the big six is that the locals are your bread and butter.

So whilst Shi didn’t say ‘legacy fans’ specifically, his point was clear and it’s out of order.

As they said in that now laughable statement condemning the Super League, supporters are the ‘lifeblood’ and our proper support does, and always will, come from Wolverhampton.

Until they make a clear effort to improve things on the pitch, by putting in money, that will always be the case. And whilst that’s the case, he should show us all a lot more respect.

Back
Top Bottom