Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

I’m a former Premier League star who joined Wrexham – when Ryan Reynolds calls you, how could you say no?

• Thread starter Anthony Chapman
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anthony Chapman

FORMER Premier League ace Steven Fletcher has revealed how Ryan Reynolds convinced him to join Wrexham with a surprise phone call from Los Angeles.

The Hollywood superstar and pal Rob McElhenney guided the Welsh side back to the EFL last season following their 2020 takeover.

Steven Fletcher has revealed how a phone call from Ryan Reynolds convinced him to join Wrexham
Getty
Alamy
Reynolds’ pulling power continues to play a huge role in Wrexham’s success[/caption]
And despite losing a “tonne of money” in the process, they have continued to push for a return to the big time with even more transfers.

One huge name acquired last summer was Fletcher, who banged in 53 Premier League goals for Burnley, Wolves and Sunderland.

The 36-year-old netted a superb a hat-trick in the 4-1 New Year’s Day win over Barrow, helping Wrexham solidify their third-place position in League Two.

And he has now lifted the lid on the stunning phone call he had with Reynolds prior to joining.

Fletcher admits he already had one foot in the door at Wrexham.

But hearing the Deadpool star’s voice on the other end of the line laid to rest any fears over a move.

Fletcher said: “Obviously when Ryan called me it did help, I’m not going to lie. It’s Ryan Reynolds, how could you say no?

“I had the conversation, it was quite short to be honest with you. It was just ‘we’d love to have you here and be a part of the club’.

FREE BETS – BEST BETTING OFFERS & NEW CUSTOMER BONUSES

“I had already made up my mind to be honest, but it did give me a little confidence boost to say ‘yeah, go on then.’”

He continued to BBC 5 Live: “I needed something to give me a bit of a buzz because I’m not going to lie, after last season, it was a tough season.

“It put a bit of a downer on things and I was thinking do I want to go back? I moved my family back to Scotland and it was one of those things where I was thinking do I hang up now and spend a bit of family time?

“When this call came, I think wife could see a little buzz in me and she said ‘I can see you want to go and do this’. I thought, you know what, ‘I’m going to go for it’.

“It’s a bit surreal to be honest with you the way it is every day, seeing Rob and Ryan just walking around. It’s been great and obviously at my age as well, it’s a great thing to be a part of.”

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom