Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How much money have we ****ed up the wall?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just thinking about when, at some stage, we dispense with GON's services, with his staff, and paying off all their 3 year contracts and this coming weeks/months after doing the exact same thing with JL and his large entourage (except that bill was GON's x 20?). That combined figure must run into several million pounds, could it be as high as £50 mil? If you add this to the money we paid for Silva, Guedes, Cunha, Semedo, Cutone and Sasa (about £150 mil +) we may be looking at a combined figure of around £200 mil. And, of course, we will then have to factor in the cost of a new manager and his team. I know the players all have a resale value but possibly less than half what we outlaid for them. This is the management, recruitment and economics of the asylum. It will become all the more shocking if we get relegated.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only ones that really annoy me are Guedes & Cutrone. They were never going to work

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just don’t know how owners make money from a club? SKY pay what approx £130M per season and we get additional revenue shirt sales adverts etc but when you’re spunking £40 M on one player plus a wage bill of goodness knows I just don’t get it.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf, we still have a championship club mindset when it comes to transfer fees. Pretty much every club in this league has wasted 100s of millions on absolute bum signings the last few years.

Granted, the Silva, Cutrone and Guedes deals in particular just seem madness in hindsight, but wasting money is far from the top of the list of what’s gone wrong last couple years.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf, we still have a championship club mindset when it comes to transfer fees. Pretty much every club in this league has wasted 100s of millions on absolute bum signings the last few years.

Granted, the Silva, Cutrone and Guedes deals in particular just seem madness in hindsight, but wasting money is far from the top of the list of what’s gone wrong last couple years.
We haven't really made any transfers that have worked, barring last January

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
Just thinking about when, at some stage, we dispense with GON's services, with his staff, and paying off all their 3 year contracts and this coming weeks/months after doing the exact same thing with JL and his large entourage (except that bill was GON's x 20?). That combined figure must run into several million pounds, could it be as high as £50 mil? If you add this to the money we paid for Silva, Guedes, Cunha, Semedo, Cutone and Sasa (about £150 mil +) we may be looking at a combined figure of around £200 mil. And, of course, we will then have to factor in the cost of a new manager and his team. I know the players all have a resale value but possibly less than half what we outlaid for them. This is the management, recruitment and economics of the asylum. It will become all the more shocking if we get relegated.

All our problems began with the sacking of Nuno, which you more than advocated.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good job you ain’t a Man United fan, NNW!

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All our problems began with the sacking of Nuno, which you more than advocated.
Perhaps we should finally let go of the “Nuno is gone because of @Nortnorfolkwolf” blame game.
Yes he was one of the first or astute enough to see there was a problem with Nuno……but many Mixers and fans all felt the same.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps we should finally let go of the “Nuno is gone because of @Nortnorfolkwolf” blame game.
Yes he was one of the first or astute enough to see there was a problem with Nuno……but many Mixers and fans all felt the same.
I will respond to this. Most of the NNW is to blame for Nuno's exit posts I just ignore but I do wonder if it will ever stop? I dread mentioning Nuno, even though he gave me perhaps the best 3 years supporting Wolves, because I know someone will come up with the negative stuff even though, like StanCullis's post above, it is totally irrelevant to the thrust of this thread.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will respond to this. Most of the NNW is to blame for Nuno's exit posts I just ignore but I do wonder if it will ever stop? I dread mentioning Nuno, even though he gave me perhaps the best 3 years supporting Wolves, because I know someone will come up with the negative stuff even though, like StanCullis's post above, it is totally irrelevant to the thrust of this thread.
It’s a bag you have to carry

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Using Brighton as a benchmark makes everyone look rubbish

Using Chelsea or Utd makes everyone look good

We're somewhere in the middle. Some good, some bad. Certainly not colossal. You could argue most of our line-up yesterday are worth more than we paid for them.

Our problems currently are somewhere else

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Squad is fine.

We simply lost a relationship with a top quality manager and now won’t attract another one.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Squad is fine.

We simply lost a relationship with a top quality manager and now won’t attract another one.
You'll know how I feel, but does that really make sense? If Lopetegui thought the squad was fine he'd still be in the dugout.

The thing for me is that bar Brighton we've been very competitive in the games so far. Some bad decisions have cost us dear, the margins are fine and small decisions crucial. We're making too many of those mistakes.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
You'll know how I feel, but does that really make sense? If Lopetegui thought the squad was fine he'd still be in the dugout.

The thing for me is that bar Brighton we've been very competitive in the games so far. Some bad decisions have cost us dear, the margins are fine and small decisions crucial. We're making too many of those mistakes.
And arguably even the Brighton game, we missed two 1v1 chances in the first half at 0-1. The second half ran away from us and we were poor but we could easily have been ahead at HT.

Looking at the League table, the current bottom 6 is Luton, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Everton, Bournemouth and us. Apart from maybe adding Forest in I can easily see that being the bottom 6/7 at the end of the season too. It’s not much fun and not what we hoped/wanted but if we can finish above most of those teams then it’s kind of job done for the season. We’re more than good enough to do that but as you say we’ve got to start getting the key moments right.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
To be fair, you can't simply erase your posting history, and I'm afraid that is likely to follow you for a long time to come, especially when it concerns someone like Nuno. You clearly weren't responsible for him leaving though,
However we won't stand for targeting or bullying, which is a line that has been crossed in relation to this, and we have moderated against it.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest waste was sacking Nuno. This guaranteed we would spend the next 10 seasons throwing money at it trying to get back what we already had.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But Nuno was here when we signed forwards who couldn't score, blaming his exit is pointless, it's our recruitment strategy that needed looking at.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, you can't simply erase your posting history, and I'm afraid that is likely to follow you for a long time to come, especially when it concerns someone like Nuno. You clearly weren't responsible for him leaving though,
However we won't stand for targeting or bullying, which is a line that has been crossed in relation to this, and we have moderated against it.
Thanks.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha Silva Guedes

£114m down the drain

How much will we make back on these 3?? 40% if we are lucky

Nobody will pay above 30m for cunha
Nobody will pay above 20m for silva
Nobody wants to pay anything for guedes?!

Mendes time to get these 3 to Saudi…. Thank you

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every club wastes money and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Let's add Jota Neves in this.

Look at Villa they wasted a lot more

Coutinho
Dendonker
Wesley
Morgan Sanson
Ings. (paid 30 million - sold for 12)

Over 100 million waste on those

Also West Ham

Scamacca
Vlasic
Felipe Anderson
Haller
Ajeti

Again over 100 million

I can guarantee every club in the premier league has wasted money, the problem is with the large income from TV they can afford to do so and with FFP a 20 million signing over 4 year contact is 5 million loss a year any club in the league can afford this.

I much prefer the lower risk signing like Lemina / Gomes / Neto players that want to come here and play for us.

Problem is, us fans are then shouting from the roof tops to spend the money and other clubs have spent more so going to finish above.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was just looking at how much our squad cost and one thing is abundantly clear. Semedo, Silva and Cunha stick out like sore thumbs given how much they cost and their individual outputs. Together those three cost £107mill, an average of £36mill each!

The rest of the squad cost £138mill (average of £7mill each). It's actually disgraceful how little those three contribute, given how much they cost. Give me Sasa, Hwang and Doc over those three chancers any day.

At this stage, I think the club should try to sell all three in January and if he got anything like our money back, Hobbs would deserve some praise.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's face it Shi should not have any input on any future decisions on anything. How he is still here is a miracle. Can't understand how Fosun allow him to continue is his post. Apart from anything else he does not seem capable of working with anyone. Expect Hobbs to be the next head on the chopping block.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I'm just going to pop up randomly defending Cunha, I think he's a good player, as I keep saying 3 months ago Nunes would have been on this list, try to see the talent that's wasted in this team.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm just going to pop up randomly defending Cunha, I think he's a good player, as I keep saying 3 months ago Nunes would have been on this list, try to see the talent that's wasted in this team.
Skilled players aren’t suited to our style. Like Cunha for example. He doesn’t have the players around him to make him tick.

Neto looks good mainly because he will run his testies off. Not many players have his work ethic and skill. It’s makes him stand out.

Back
Top Bottom