Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How many points to stay up ?

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s early days. However after 3 games , 8 teams have yet to win and 3 teams have yet to register a point
Throw into the mix how well Brentford have started and it’s all very interesting
If we should lose tomorrow we will be left with 34 games to get to the magic number , whatever it is
I always assume no points against the top 5 clubs ( City , United , Liverpool , Spurs and Leicester ) so that leaves 27 games to get to safety
If the number is , say , 38 points , we will need to win 11/12 of those games plus a few draws
What has been the average to stay up over last 10 years ?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the average over many years has been 37, and as low as 30,but you always look at 40 being the bench mark ,and even that has not been enough on a few occasions
Hopefully it wont concern us at all though

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I know it’s early days. However after 3 games , 8 teams have yet to win and 3 teams have yet to register a point
Throw into the mix how well Brentford have started and it’s all very interesting
If we should lose tomorrow we will be left with 34 games to get to the magic number , whatever it is
I always assume no points against the top 5 clubs ( City , United , Liverpool , Spurs and Leicester ) so that leaves 27 games to get to safety
If the number is , say , 38 points , we will need to win 11/12 of those games plus a few draws
Why are you taking tomorrow's match out of the equation?
And while I'm not saying we either will or won't take points against the top five or six, why does our record against them over recent seasons lead you to always assume those games will bring nothing?
Looks like an exercise in scare mongering and trying to reduce the number of games to as few as possible...

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to read that you always expect us to get zero points from the top sides.

As much as as we as fans love to see us beat the top six and get three points, are three points more valuable against the others, in the race for best of the rest/survival in a six pointer kind of way?

Points from the top six are therefore a bonus?

Last edited:

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And while I'm not saying we either will or won't take points against the top five or six, why does our record against them over recent seasons lead you to always assume those games will bring nothing?
Looks like an exercise in scare mongering and trying to reduce the number of games to as few as possible...

Interesting to read that you always expect us to get zero points from the top sides.

As much as as we as fans love to see us beat the top six and get three points, are three points more valuable against the others, in the race for best of the rest/survival in a six pointer kind of way?

Points from the top six are therefore a bonus?
Precisely.

A bit more composure in front of goal (in our own hands) and better refereeing decisions (out of our own hands) and we may well have taken points in all three games played so far.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The average required to stay up since the start of the premier league/premiership is 36.

Over the past 10 seasons it has been 35 and last season was the lowest at 29

Only 4 times in the last 26 seasons has it required the magic 40 or higher to stay up

premier league.jpg

So when Bruno takes us on one of his Benfica type unbeaten runs, we'll be nearly safe in 12 games time. ;)

Last edited:

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We wont be going down unless big injury crisis. The shambles of not addressing the imbalances in the squad means the latch has been taken off the trap door, but it would take injuries for it to be pushed open.

But lets be honest these first team players we have shouldnt even be considering relegation.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Did we not do well against the top 6 in the last few seasons. I certainly dont remember us registering nil points against the top 6.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we'll take less points off the big 6 than Nuno did, we were set up well against them so well. But maybe take more points off the others with worse defenders and more intent to break them down? So swings and roundabouts.
Seems that a point per game is risking it a bit.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You forgot to add Chelsea so make it 6. West Ham will be difficult too, Everton are usually a decent bet for top half, Leeds are fun, Villa too.

Best to drop that 34 (after we obviously lose to Watford) down to 17 then.

So we now need 40 points (people always say 40 points even though it rarely is) from 17 games. That’s top 2 form and we all know we aren’t good enough for that.

*******s.

Championship here we come. :rolleyes:

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
You forgot to add Chelsea so make it 6. West Ham will be difficult too, Everton are usually a decent bet for top half, Leeds are fun, Villa too.

Best to drop that 34 (after we obviously lose to Watford) down to 17 then.

So we now need 40 points (people always say 40 points even though it rarely is) from 17 games. That’s top 2 form and we all know we aren’t good enough for that.

*******s.

Championship here we come. :rolleyes:
It's all over. Let's plan for the Championship :oops:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always assume no points

Fixed it ;)

35 will be enough in my opinion, and I think - barring a major injury catastrophe - we'll be well clear of that figure

We do need to pick up a couple of wins sooner rather than later though

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we have a 35 game season. so we need more than 1 point per game from now. we will have a good idea after southampton away. if we are on 3 or more by then we will probably be OK. if we are still on zero then it will look pretty bleak

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I’d have been scare mongering , which I’m not , as has been pointed out I would have also deducted 4 further games for Chelsea and West Ham as their teams are better than ours
I’ve discounted the top “ 6” because usually the better team wins , they all have a better team than us don’t they ?
the relegation survival “ point” is our most urgent target , that’s why I’ve asked the question

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we'll get over 50. To be certain of staying up, 40

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40 should be enough for those in a relegation battle. I think Wolves will be battling for a top ten finish.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
If I’d have been scare mongering , which I’m not , as has been pointed out I would have also deducted 4 further games for Chelsea and West Ham as their teams are better than ours
I’ve discounted the top “ 6” because usually the better team wins , they all have a better team than us don’t they ?
the relegation survival “ point” is our most urgent target , that’s why I’ve asked the question
How have we done against the top six in the seasons since our promotion?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will be nowhere near a relegation fight. Most sane people were annoyed with the window as we were just 1-2 players from having a real crack at top 6 again. Anyone jumping to the other extreme and fearing relegation is just being silly.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot less than we will get

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will be nowhere near a relegation fight. Most sane people were annoyed with the window as we were just 1-2 players from having a real crack at top 6 again. Anyone jumping to the other extreme and fearing relegation is just being silly.
The only potential spanner there would be if we got an early injury to Neves. Then I think we'd struggle.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lovely, lovely Premier League. Kick off with main priority DON'T GET RELEGATED. Anything else is a bonus/relief.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Well thats buggered it.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the number is , say , 38 points , we will need to win 11/12 of those

Bet you are gutted

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question still stands. How many points to stay up as this looks like being a crazy season

Back
Top Bottom