Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How do we become “clinical” ?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“We are not clinical “ We have heard this for many years .
But can a player or players become clinical , and how ?
Surely it’s either a natural ability or it is a mental attitude.
I can’t see how you can suddenly become clinical , as a player, unless you get psychological coaching.
Does anyone disagree ? Because if it’s psychological no manager can change that over night . If at all.

Last edited:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
It's a matter of confidence. At the moment we go out onto the pitch thinking every chance is so crucial because we don't score many, means that when one comes along, in their heads, players are trying to be absolutely spot on. They lose that moment where it is second nature and try that little bit extra to be sure.

Contrast with Brighton, each player was confident they'd score and tucked away their opportunities without a second thought.

We have a collective problem where not just individuals but the whole team are thinking we may be lucky and score one but a second is out of the question. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The spell can only be broken by a few good results of 3 or more goals.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The 'weaker foot' thread got some stick, but there was another great example on Saturday. RAN 10 yards out, excellent chance comes to his right foot, he tries to bring it back onto his left, chance gone. Obviously he missed the target earlier from a similar distance with his left!

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul was my example of this. When he had time he usually missed but if you see some of his goals they are often just first time, dont think and they end up going in.
With our counter attacks sometimes players carry the ball such a long way things get over thought which is why you get things like Podence trying to flick it or players hesistant to shoot
Need a greedy player in there who just shoots whenever he gets the chance. Fabio did it v united to be fair to him but if you keep trying it will pay off

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
The 'weaker foot' thread got some stick, but there was another great example on Saturday. RAN 10 yards out, excellent chance comes to his right foot, he tries to bring it back onto his left, chance gone. Obviously he missed the target earlier from a similar distance with his left!
Confidence again, less pressure and he hits it first time. My problem was him arriving almost made Hwang's pass when having twisted and turned the defence I would rather he'd have shot than passed.

We were again trying too hard

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Play 3-4-3 and become counter attacking team

Use the wingers and men behind the ball when defending

We do not have the players to play like brighton or Liverpool where they can pick teams off

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hit the target. Low and hard. I thought this with Adama for a few seasons that he should stop trying to find the corners and just get his head over it and hit it hard.

When confidence comes then players will look for the corners and placed shots but we are getting enough players forward now for us to have a fair chance of getting any rebounds as well.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
What did shearer and bully have in common?

I even look at players today like Salah, Kane etc.

Generally they seem to do two things - hit the target and put their foot through it!

Too often our players are tentative.

Put your foot through it lads for crying out loud!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good example, though let's also acknowledge Fabio seems to have a 'strong weaker foot' judging by the aplomb with which he hit the net, with that left-footed effort from an offside position.

('aplomb' is my entry for the Mix Word of the Day competition)

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aim in the general direction of the middle of the goal and blast it. Save the placing of it until we have so e confidence back.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pick a consistent group of forward players in consistent positions.

Also it isn’t just our finishing that is poor, it’s actually the pass before that makes the chance harder than it needs to be.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aim in the general direction of the middle of the goal and blast it. Save the placing of it until we have so e confidence back.

Both Steve Bull and Alan Shearer have mentioned in interviews that their approach to goal scoring was 'hit it on target as hard as possible'.

Didn't work out too badly for either of them!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pick a consistent group of forward players in consistent positions.

Also it isn’t just our finishing that is poor, it’s actually the pass before that makes the chance harder than it needs to be.

Hwang is our most clinical forward. He has to play.

Yeah, often too much or too little on that final pass!!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's still too soon to judge.

I know the media are peddling the idea that this is Wolves' problem for years, but in my opinion it's not.

We've never created chances. We didn't score goals because we didn't create.

I've looked at last season stats. We had an xG of 35 and scored 31. That's a slight underperformance, but it's nothing too much. For context, Liverpool, Brighton, Newcastle, Man United, Chelsea, West Ham and Everton all had bigger underperformances.

The year before, we scored 38 goals from an xG of 39. There were nine teams who were bigger underperformers in the league.

The issue is that the xG in those seasons had us 19th and 20th. That's the problem right there. We weren't creating chances.

Now, this lack of a clinical edge could become a problem in the future, but right now the evidence we have that we aren't clinical rests on two games. That's far too soon to make a judgement.

We are finally creating chances. Let's see after ten games how many goals we score if we continue to attack.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang is our most clinical forward. He has to play.

Yeah, often too much or too little on that final pass!!
The reason I would have liked to keep Jimenez was not only because he was our most natural finisher, but also his lay offs or through balls for others was generally perfect. (Annoyingly Podence is a close second in this department!).

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it's just Wolves (though we are chief culprits) but we try to engineer the perfect chance. Sometimes, whacking the ball early from further out can catch a goalkeeper cold! It's like players get strips torn off them if they try something different. Happened to Neves, long range early shots got gradually coached out of him.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know the media are peddling the idea that this is Wolves' problem for years, but in my opinion it's not.

I've looked at last season stats. We had an xG of 35 and scored 31. That's a slight underperformance, but it's nothing too much. For context, Liverpool, Brighton, Newcastle, Man United, Chelsea, West Ham and Everton all had bigger underperformances.

The year before, we scored 38 goals from an xG of 39. There were nine teams who were bigger underperformers in the league.

The issue is that the xG in those seasons had us 19th and 20th. That's the problem right there. We weren't creating chances.

Now, this lack of a clinical edge could become a problem in the future, but right now the evidence we have that we aren't clinical rests on two games. That's far too soon to make a judgement.

We are finally creating chances. Let's see after ten games how many goals we score if we continue to attack.

Yeah. Our XG in the first two games is miles ahead of last season.

Averaging 2.2 per game so far, against less than 1 per game last season and just over 1 the year before.

It'll click soon. It has to!!

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Play 3-4-3 and become counter attacking team

Use the wingers and men behind the ball when defending

We do not have the players to play like brighton or Liverpool where they can pick teams off
3-4-3 is not the answer as we don't have the players to play that.

I would bet you any sum of money in the world that if De Zerbi or Klopp had this team they'd get them doing what they do with their current teams

Man for man how many attacker's and midfielders would you have from that Brighton side?

Mitoma would be the only one for me (Ferguson when he gets up to speed)

Fabio/ Sasa > Welbeck
Lemina + Gomes > Gilmour + Gross
Neto > March
Cunha > Enciso

It's clear that coaching team is light years ahead of ours.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed

The players aren’t used to having chances like these!

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Practice on the training field. Also, when approaching the goal in a match, they should just think 'sod it' and just hit the ****ing thing!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm afraid being a clinical finisher is something you probably either have or you don't, if you haven't developed it by 18 I doubt you ever will.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Said after Man U though, people said we made '23 chances' when actually we had 23 shots. IIRC there was only one effort (Cunha) that had an xG of over 0.14. So we took a lot of shots, but we didn't really make a lot of good chances.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it a recent problem ?
Didnt we start last season under Lage creating lots of chances and getting high xGs but no goals.
And dont attacking players create xGs for themselves by their positioning.
You dont get any xGs staying wide on the wings.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would bet you any sum of money in the world that if De Zerbi or Klopp had this team they'd get them doing what they do with their current teams

Man for man how many attacker's and midfielders would you have from that Brighton side?

Fabio/ Sasa > Welbeck
Neto > March
Cunha > Enciso

Neto better than March?

Cunha better than Enciso?

Absolutely no way

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fabio/ Sasa > Welbeck
Neto > March
Cunha > Enciso

We absolutely have the players for 3-4-3 (or 3-5-2). I have posted on another thread that our squad is (STILL) set up best for it:
- Kilman and Dawson are probably both best in a 3
- All of our full backs are probably best as wing backs
- We have decent defensive midfielders in Lemina, Gomes and B Traore
- We have forwards who all have pace and are good runners from deep (Nunes, Cunha, Neto, Silva, Hwang)

We need competition and cover at CB, Striker and probably defensive midfielder but setting up like:

Sa/ Bentley
Dawson... Kilman....Toti
Doc/ Semedo.... Lemina/ Traore..... Gomes/ Hodge.... RAN/ Bueno
Nunes/ Sarabia....Silva/ Sasa...... Cunha/ Hwang or Neto

definitely suits our squad.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We absolutely have the players for 3-4-3 (or 3-5-2). I have posted on another thread that our squad is (STILL) set up best for it:
- We have forwards who all have pace and are good runners from deep (Nunes, Cunha, Neto, Silva, Hwang)

We need competition and cover at CB, Striker and probably defensive midfielder but setting up like:

Sa/ Bentley
Dawson... Kilman....Toti

All a game of opinions but I don't agree with any of this.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sa/ Bentley
Dawson... Kilman....Toti

I dont see that producing goals unless there is a change in personnel.
I dont see the attacking talent many clubs have in our list of Hwang, Neto ,Silva and may be Sasa.
And I am not talking about the top six. More the top fourteen.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fabio/ Sasa > Welbeck
Neto > March
Cunha > Enciso

I think you are overrating some of our players here. Wellbeck is currently at least better than any of our forwards. That might change over the next year or so. Gilmour and Gross vs lemina and Gomes is pretty tight tbh.
Neto was better than March a couple of years ago. Not sure you can say that now although there are signs of him being almost back to his best.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are not natural finishers and never will be as has be proven over the last 3 years.

Hwang. I've said on lots of posts that he's our most clinical forward.

He's consistently averaged a goal every 350 minutes for us (just under a goal in the equivalent of every 4 games).

That's nearly 10 playing a full PL season. A 10 goal forward makes all the difference.

He has to start at the moment.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mate of mine 30 years ago said the difference between PL and Championship was PL one chance and a goal whereas Championship you had three-four chances before a goal occurred.

United away is a perfect example. We had a number of good chances, they had very few. Same at our place against them last season they had one chance and one goal.

Fabio getting pelters for not scoring 1-1. Harsh. Keeper made a good save and he scored the other one (which turned out to be offside). Fabio is our only natural goalscorer who gets into positions to score as well (haven’t seen enough of Sasa yet). Hwang has potential to be one. Cunha is great but not a natural/clinical goalscorer. Getting on target 8+ times out of 10 is the key to be clinical. Work the keeper.

Last season we had no goals as we had no chances. I’m positive that we should have had 2 goals in both games that they will come. More worried if we don’t create against Everton, Palace and Luton (plus Liverpool).

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fabio/ Sasa > Welbeck
Neto > March
Cunha > Enciso

We don’t have the players that can play in 4 at the back either so what solution do we have? All our defenders bar Dawson are used to playing in back 3/5 under various managers at Wolves.

Mitoma and March / Gross are miles better than what we have so is Enciso for his age Gilmour works a lot harder than Lemina and a lot younger big factors

As you say coaching team identity and style are miles ahead of ours

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom