Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hennessey could become one of the best goalies in the world

V Wolf

Reaction score
He's certainly sticking to his guns, he said the same thing when WH first broke through and he started coaching him for Wales.

W

WasStefan

He could, but he's got a hell of a lot of improving to do. Time is on his side though.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
He really does have all the physical attributes to be absolutely top-class (6'7, good shot stopper, decent handling and great kicking with both feet). It's more the vocal and mental aspects of his game which may prevent him from ever being world-class. Hopefully that will come with experience though.

I have no doubts that he will be a top Premier League goalkeeper for somebody (hopefully us). But I don't ever think he will be classed as one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

P

PeteWolf

This is one of those non-statements really when it comes to real insight. It's like Lescott bigging up Connor. The football community is the biggest old pals act going.

The topic's been done to death recently, but football is 10% in the feet (or hands)and 90% in the head. Hennessey isn't up to scratch on that latter aspect, it's not in his nature and why he will never fulfill his potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty sure Marcello Lippi said something similar a while back when Italy played Wales. I fully agree with the comments to be honest. He's a tremendous goalkeeper. Yes there are some small things that need improving, but he's what 25? 26? Goalkeepers hit peak at around 29+.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is one of those non-statements really when it comes to real insight. It's like Lescott bigging up Connor. The football community is the biggest old pals act going.

The topic's been done to death recently, but football is 10% in the feet (or hands)and 90% in the head. Hennessey isn't up to scratch on that latter aspect, it's not in his nature and why he will never fulfill his potential.

Not really. We could say that there's no point in bigging any player up ever then if we don't take on board what professionals or ex-professionals have to say? He's received praise from top players and managers. I understand what you mean that the 'football community' sometimes stick together, but that's normally applicable to when a player is asked mundane questions by the media and they stick up for team mates etc.

B

Bridgnorth Wolf

Pretty sure Marcello Lippi said something similar a while back when Italy played Wales. I fully agree with the comments to be honest. He's a tremendous goalkeeper. Yes there are some small things that need improving, but he's what 25? 26? Goalkeepers hit peak at around 29+.

Joe Hart wants a word pal.

V Wolf

Reaction score
Thinking about it, his continued backing does strike me as a little hypocritical. Southall was on Soccer AM last season and had very strong opinions on what made good and bad goalkeepers. When talking about De Gea in particular he was critical of his poor decision making when coming out for the ball or staying on his line, lack of communication with the defence and lack of presence. These are 3 things WH has been consistently accused of on here and elsewhere. Not saying Wayne doesn't have the potential to become very good but from previous comments methinks Big Nev may be a little blinkered.

W

WasStefan

Can't disagree, however some on here will view your comments through their gold tinted specs.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I believe Henno can improve and become a very good keeper...maybe not one of the very best in the world though.

I feel if he bulked up some more, particularly upper-body wise, this would help him feel more confident about coming out for crosses.

For a pretty tall keeper though, it is surprising how he seems to get beaten easily by shots from range.

W

we8wba

Hennessey is a good solid keeper

he doesnt strike me as a keeper who earns you points like murray did that one season or more recent examples would be foster at blues

i think thats where wayne needs to get to before even thinking of the best in the world (dont know how im saying this with straight face)

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Personally I remember the day he stepped into Matt's boots a matter of minutes before that playoff game, I was full of trepidation an nerves.

Since then I have seen him blossom into a fine keeper, one of the best I've seen.

I don't get some of the criticism he's had of late, don't forget, he was the last line of defence when those lines in front of him crumbled so easily last season when facing some of the top sharpshooters in world football.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt. How many goals would we have conceded without him.

I've always thought Ikeme was a decent keeper and he's started that way this season.

With a solid defence Hennessey will go on to be top class.

Sent from my brain using some software or other...

D

dazmanwolf

If you look at Wayne's OPTA Index stats for last season you will see he already is/was the best Goalkeeper in the Premiership based on saves etc...

He can only get better with age and with a decent back 4 infront of him.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Personally I remember the day he stepped into Matt's boots a matter of minutes before that playoff game, I was full of trepidation an nerves.

Since then I have seen him blossom into a fine keeper, one of the best I've seen.

I don't get some of the criticism he's had of late, don't forget, he was the last line of defence when those lines in front of him crumbled so easily last season when facing some of the top sharpshooters in world football.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt. How many goals would we have conceded without him.

I've always thought Ikeme was a decent keeper and he's started that way this season.

With a solid defence Hennessey will go on to be top class.

Sent from my brain using some software or other...

Completely agree.

Whilst I don't ever think he will quite make it into the bracket of world-class goalkeepers, he is, in my opinion, the one player in our squad who will get closest to it in his respective position.

As I said earlier, he is destined to be a top Premier League goalkeeper for someone. I just hope it is for us.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
My dad reckons Wayne stands too far off his line watching play, and tends to get beaten by 20 to 25 yard shots. Not sure if that is true, or is what other fans think.

But I think most of us will agree, Wayne is a young and very talented goalie, who has the potential to improve and become a great keeper for Wolves

Last edited by a moderator:

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Hennessey and he is a good keeper but Bert Williams aside we have only had one keeper who had the potential to be 'world class'

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Hennessey and he is a good keeper but Bert Williams aside we have only had one keeper who had the potential to be 'world class'

Cyril Sidlow or Malcolm Finlayson then? Some of us have loooong memories!!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That says alot when one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time comes out saying how Wayne could be one of the best in the world. And he can, when he's back from injury in November/December it will give us a massive boost. Ikeme is good, but Hennessey has always been on another level.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What does Southall know compared to the group of 'experts' on here who never waste a chance to denigrate Hennessey?

P

PeteWolf

Why can't we be supportive?
It's a $$$$ing forum for jesus christ's sake. People discuss their opinions, their thoughts, not blindly support like at the game.

Obviously difficult to comprehend if you can't form your own thoughts.

D

Dewsburywolf

Isn't everyone missing that five letter word after Hennessey in the thread title? I could **** Alex Jones off the One Show but I'm not going to am I?

P

PeteWolf

What does Southall know compared to the group of 'experts' on here who never waste a chance to denigrate Hennessey?
Those people who watch him game in game out, probably well over a hundred times more than Southall ever has.

Those people who have watched football for decades and seen hundreds of goalkeepers to compare him to.

Those who see him off the ball in all these games, can see his character, his interaction and effect on the team that isn't caught on TV highlights.

What do we know compared to his out of work mate bigging him up.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But many on here think ikeme is better so he must be amazeballs!!!

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't everyone missing that five letter word after Hennessey in the thread title? I could **** Alex Jones off the One Show but I'm not going to am I?

Why not? Do you not like Welsh girls?

andy-in-seat-190

Reaction score
Hennessey is a good solid keeper

he doesnt strike me as a keeper who earns you points like murray did that one season or more recent examples would be foster at blues

i think thats where wayne needs to get to before even thinking of the best in the world (dont know how im saying this with straight face)

He probably earned us more points last season than anyone else!

P

PeteWolf

The only points Hennessey won last season was from the judging panel in his spat with Roger Johnson.

M

morosewolf

Wonder how good he'd now be if Bobby Mimms hadn't left?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the best in the world? Haha! He lacks the confidence to be a top goalkeeper. Good shot stopper but does have lapses in concentration and his nowhere near as good at Ikeme as commanding his area IMO.

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Have to agree.

Back
Top Bottom