Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Heading in football: Professional players in England limited to 10 'higher force headers' a week in training

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Per BBC site.
Will this eventually lead to having no heading in football?

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Professional footballers in England are to be limited to 10 "higher force headers" a week in training under new guidelines for the upcoming season.

It comes after recent "multiple studies" were conducted into concerns about the long-term dangers of heading.
In 2019, a study found professional footballers were more likely to suffer from neurodegenerative brain disease.

Guidance for amateurs is "10 headers per session and only one session a week where heading practice is included".

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless every FA around the world implements similar, this decision will eventually put English footballers at a competitive disadvantage internationally, and will put the English players at a disadvantage compared with foreign players at club level.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Htf do clubs monitor this? Does each player have to keep count and by Wednesday say to the coaches 'I can't practice defending or attacking corners or FKs as I've reached my limit'?! Ridiculous. This is an intractable problem to which there is no answer. Heading is a beautiful part of the game but it undeniably can cause damage to the brain. This is another issue that will be kicked very hard into the long grass and quietly forgotten about. Every so often there will be a Jeff Astle moment and all the politicos will jump up and down and then conveniently pack the issue away again.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The easy fix for this would be for all players to wear head guards. Before the old UN's jump on me for being PC or killing the beautiful game years ago players didn't wear shin pads or keepers wear gloves. Life moves on. Head gear similar to what Raul is wearing or something similar to a rugby scrum cap really wouldn't be a big ask for players of any age to wear

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's a tough one as I can't imagine football without heading but I can see it being outlawed within 10 years.

I've probably told the story before but, at the risk of repeating myself, I used to play 8-a-side football for the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery back in the early 2000s. The team was made up of staff, mostly porters, but a few catering, office staff, etc and there were two neurosurgeons who played every now and again. Neither of them would EVER head the ball which would cause problems as everyone would criticise them when they ducked out of a header. I spoke to them both after the first game I played alongside them and they both told me that if I had seen what they had seen then I would never head a football again.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The easy fix for this would be for all players to wear head guards. Before the old UN's jump on me for being PC or killing the beautiful game years ago players didn't wear shin pads or keepers wear gloves. Life moves on. Head gear similar to what Raul is wearing or something similar to a rugby scrum cap really wouldn't be a big ask for players of any age to wear
Seems the obvious solution. Then the clubs will have another place for sponsor logos!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley will struggle planning for a game.... We will be fine I don't think we headed it 10 times last season...... Joking aside... It will make practising set pieces attacking and defending difficult in training....

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heads guards don’t protect the brain unless they have an impact absorption element, like a cycle helmet.
Raul’s head gear appears to be designed to protect his skull. The brain will still be swishing about in its fluids regardless

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a tough one as I can't imagine football without heading but I can see it being outlawed within 10 years.

I've probably told the story before but, at the risk of repeating myself, I used to play 8-a-side football for the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery back in the early 2000s. The team was made up of staff, mostly porters, but a few catering, office staff, etc and there were two neurosurgeons who played every now and again. Neither of them would EVER head the ball which would cause problems as everyone would criticise them when they ducked out of a header. I spoke to them both after the first game I played alongside them and they both told me that if I had seen what they had seen then I would never head a football again.
I had spinal surgery there and staff told me similar.

I suspect that l may know you from the old NB.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Based on those early findings, which showed the majority of headers involve low forces, the initial focus of the guidance [for professional football] will be on headers that involve higher forces.
"These are typically headers following a long pass (more than 35m) or from crosses, corners and free-kicks.
What is left after long pass , crosses , corners and free kicks ?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difficult to comment with being dismissive of something that's obviously an issue, but... how ridiculous. Who on earth is going to make on-the-spot judgment calls about what constitutes "higher force" and who will keep count? Surely it's more dangerous, for younger players especially, going full-blooded in a match when they haven't been trained properly in heading.

It was one thing in the past, when the effects of heading a ball weren't fully explored, but these days it's a known quantity. A driver knows the risks getting into a formula one car, rugby players knows the risks of scrums and tackles; a footballer knows the risk of heading a ball repeatedly. You can choose a profession with risks, or not.

It would actually make more sense to outlaw heading completely, which would be seismic for football, but putting a limit on headers in training is just wishy-washy nonsense.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Based on those early findings, which showed the majority of headers involve low forces, the initial focus of the guidance [for professional football] will be on headers that involve higher forces.
"These are typically headers following a long pass (more than 35m) or from crosses, corners and free-kicks.
Keepy uppy :)

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Throw-ins. We'll be okay, we tend to lump our throw ins at opposition players anyway.

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely the ball manufacturers can design a football for training that acts in the same way as a standard ball, but is safe for heading? Patent pending? Maybe not. Forget that, just thinking out load.

PulverWolf

Reaction score
Its a tough call for any professional footballer given the chance of early dementia from doing something they love, the risks are real hence the spotlight on heading in general . Its a relatively short career for many .

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The insurance companies will be rubbing their hands with glee, with potentially increased premiums, and well, the lawyers will be watching this space accordingly. It is tricky, where do you draw the line, between employment, enjoyment, injury, and future health. It's a can of worms, and whichever way it evolves, surely players health has got to first and foremost.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly the point we are all making! Heading is and always will be integral to the game of football thus the problem can never be solved imo. There is no answer to this unless they ban heading.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely some sort of head protection like Raul is a more sensible solution, I imagine it takes some getting used to wearing but if you started that with young kids they’d know no different and soon adjust to it.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely the ball manufacturers can design a football for training that acts in the same way as a standard ball, but is safe for heading? Patent pending? Maybe not. Forget that, just thinking out load.
Could use the old sponge football, as used on concrete school playgrounds across the 80s. The fun times of standing on it so as not to be tackled then having your ankles kicked in could make a return, only on a professional level.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite surprised at some of the replies tbh.
I know this is a danger to the continuity of the game we all love, but surely it needs some proper attention.

Yes it’s true that professionals are able to assess risk, and the reward can be very high indeed but….what about all those outside the tiny percentage that become millionaires?
What about the 95+% of academy boys that will have been training hard, practicing set pieces for years, to then be released never to see a professional contract and get the rewards associated with the risk they’ve already undertaken.

Can of worms.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would actually make more sense to outlaw heading completely, which would be seismic for football, but putting a limit on headers in training is just wishy-washy nonsense.
They have been looking at doing this Stateside for some time, been away from coaching for 5 years so no idea if the youth game had adopted any of the recommendations. So much of it was driven by lawyers and neurologists.

My daughter had to quit the sport based on neurologists recommendations. She had had multiple concussions. It was interesting speaking with the neurologist and they offered articles from medical journals that seemed to lay the groundwork for no heading. I think it was California and Pennsylvania leading the way, so much so that California was considering making headgear mandatory until 13 years, or whenever the brain was "finished" developing (which I think is different between girls and boys). I recall them saying the NFL would eventually pay a price for not dealing with this issue in their sport.

Anyway, went to a tournament in San Diego ten years ago and all the goalkeepers were wearing this headgear made in Italy. Bought some for my daughter but it didnt help.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there any data relating to era , guessing that heading a Jeff Astle era ball would be totally different to heading a current day ball --I know what its like to head a Jeff Astle era ball heavy with water etc

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there any data relating to era , guessing that heading a Jeff Astle era ball would be totally different to heading a current day ball --I know what its like to head a Jeff Astle era ball heavy with water etc

Good point. Also the point above by BCWolf on brain development. Is it possible that the main damage is done in the formative years? In which case, the focus could be on restrictions for children, that gradually get relaxed until players are over 20 or something?

Still, something feels like as long as the risk is made clear, it is the individuals choice. A bit like car travel. It's possibly one of the most dangerous things we do, yet we allow it - while taking care to minimise risk.

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This study used players that mostly played during the old leather ball era which was basically like taking a punch to the head with even minimal force when heading it, if the ball was wet (pretty often in Scotland where the study took place) even worse as it absorbed the moisture making the ball even heavier. I don't see why the FA would make decisions based on a bygone era - the modern synthetic ball is very safe for heading and the professional players have access to the best medical care money can buy, it wouldn't be hard to grab a sample of players/recently retired players and get their brains scanned once a year.

Now heading being gone from U12s is a totally different issue, this is smart for a multitude of reasons including safety.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, my 16 year old boy has training tomorrow night. I shall wrap a towel around his head beforehand. Must kill the fun. Nobody must have any health issues, ever.
It’s a very serious issue.
But I agree with you……nobody must suffer any preventable health issues, including your son.

You make him wear a seat belt? …let him smoke?……drink lots of alcohol and drive?……wear a condom?……wash his hands and wear a mask?

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Expect to see special training headgear for heading practice introduced soon. Then before long, they will be used in actual matches. If it is a choice between this and not being allowed to head the ball then it's headgear every time. But i wouldnt want to see them being made compulsory - it should be personal choice just like in rugby.
Scrum caps are not flattering and players tend to take them off as soon as they have finished the game or even during breaks in the game. In football, a headband type of headgear would look nicer - like what Raul is wearing now.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Crazy, how's boxing and UFC ok for sport but footballers cant header the ball.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have been looking at doing this Stateside for some time, been away from coaching for 5 years so no idea if the youth game had adopted any of the recommendations. So much of it was driven by lawyers and neurologists.

My daughter had to quit the sport based on neurologists recommendations. She had had multiple concussions. It was interesting speaking with the neurologist and they offered articles from medical journals that seemed to lay the groundwork for no heading. I think it was California and Pennsylvania leading the way, so much so that California was considering making headgear mandatory until 13 years, or whenever the brain was "finished" developing (which I think is different between girls and boys). I recall them saying the NFL would eventually pay a price for not dealing with this issue in their sport.

Anyway, went to a tournament in San Diego ten years ago and all the goalkeepers were wearing this headgear made in Italy. Bought some for my daughter but it didnt help.
Sorry that your daughter had to give up something she enjoyed, hope she found something to replace it. Maybe headgear is a way forward, but as someome said it would need to be very specifically designed.

Back
Top Bottom