Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Have we really strengthened?

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm really happy with the signings we've made so far but when you look on paper I can't believe we're really that much stronger than last season.

De Vries is a like for like replacement for the Hann....good competition or possible 1st choice depending on form.

Johnson looks like a quality signing but I felt the same about mouyokolo last season, but he never really got the chance.

Ohara I really like, and yes he made a difference at the end of the season, but since he was here on loan he doesn't really count as strengthening.

We've also off loaded a few squad players like Mancienne and Jones who although not 1st choice both played their part.

I know we're more experienced now, but I'm starting to have my concerns. I really think we could do with another signing, or two.

mrwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our squad was depleted by injury's last season hopefully this season will be different. If it is i expect we will seem a much much stronger outfit.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eh?? Johnson is a proven, quality centre back, a leader and exactly what we needed. If you aren't sure that is strengthening then you are insane.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree if we get a full season out of Hunt (and Kites?) and Doyle we'll be better off. But on the whole I can't see that the squad is really that much stronger. What if Johnson, or Ohara both have a period out injured. Then where are we?

mrwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Eh?? Johnson is a proven, quality centre back, a leader and exactly what we needed. If you aren't sure that is strengthening then you are insane.

I can see where he is coming from, Our first 11 against blackburn could be one player different i.e johnson then that of the last game against blkackburn. I johnson gets injured we are left with the same team but with players like mancienne and jones no longer available.

A

Apocalypse Now

We obviously have with Johnson and Ohara will be here all season.

If you ask me did I think we would spend a net £8million, then my answer would be no. I was expecting us to buy at least one, and maybe another two players.

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think in a roundabout way you are both right. Johnson is indeed quality but who is your replacement for Jones, Mancienne?

I still feel we need "one or Two" and just hope we get them!

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnson cannot be capable to Mouyokolo in any other way than them both being defenders.
We have improved considerably. I'm confident that with these changes, plus any other people we bring in, we'll do well this season.
Last season, as mrwolf said, we were ravaged by injuries, plus two of the teams that came up were essentially already established PL teams.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm really happy with the Johnson signing, don't get me wrong. But I mean the squad as a whole really isn't that much better.

mrwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you ask me did I think we would spend a net £8million, then my answer would be no. I was expecting us to buy at least one, and maybe another two players.

we will get 2 more players in on loan. Id be happy to bet my house on that to be honest.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'hara played 13 games last season.
Hammill played less than 10.
Hunt played less than 20 and admitted he was at only 80%
Kightly didn't play.
Doyle and Fletcher hardly had any game time together.
Guediora & Edwards missed the vast majority of the season.
Roger Johnson - one of the PL's leading non top 4 defenders is now at the heart of our back 4.

I can see why it looks like we haven't strengthened, but the side we will put out against Blackburn will be a LOT stronger than the one with which we began last season; our post January form last year was that of a comfortably mid-table team & that's with a poor defence.

I agree that we are still one good left back short.

However, we no longer need to splash millions on upgrading a Championship squad as we have done for the past 2 summers. The nucleus of our squad is tried & tested in the PL.

For that reason, I think that making 4/5 more signings would be counter-productive. Unless we suffer an injury crisis that makes our troubles with injuries last season pale in comparison, I think our squad is far too talented to go down.

We were better than 17th for much of last season, it was just the fact that we took 9 points from our first 14 games (surely no team has ever stayed up after such an abysmal start before?) that saw us down there.

We are a lot stronger than many posters think & with 1/2 well-thought out loans/frees, should have a good season.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm sure at the time of the moyokoulo signing everyone was feeling positive that he might just make the difference too!

The Weasel

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'hara, Hunt, Kightly fully fit from the start. Johnson proven quality in an area of weakness. Even our new number 2 keeper is a real threat to Wayne and robs a direct competitor of their first choice in goal. We were decimated with injuries last season, even an average run and we'd be in a much better position. 3 weaker teams coming up than those they replace and wigan have lost their star player. Oh and Blackburn have lost all their money....I could go on. For once enjoy the moment and chill out!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnson cannot be capable to Mouyokolo in any other way than them both being defenders.
We have improved considerably. I'm confident that with these changes, plus any other people we bring in, we'll do well this season.
Last season, as mrwolf said, we were ravaged by injuries, plus two of the teams that came up were essentially already established PL teams.

I agree 100% with that - especially the fact that 2 of the promoted trio were very strong outfits.

It's also very important to note that we won't lose anybody we want to keep - something that Wigan/Blackburn/Villa/Bolton/Swansea/Newcastle aren't able to boast.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am chilled with it all.....I'm much more confident in the first 11 than this time last year. I just wonder where we'll be with a couple of injuries?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends who gets injured!

We've got good strength in depth everywhere except DM and LB.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players bought in have made the squad better. Also Fletcher took time to show I think last year but he certainly did in the last few games. Should that continue it could be argued that this also means the squad is stronger from the start this. Same could be said of Hunt.

If Kightly proves he can hack it in the PL this also would make the squad stronger on last year.

Dont worry about George, I think he will be OK. What he lacks in finesse he more than makes up for in attitude, and being genetically similar to a small Rhino he certainly adds a "presence."

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players bought in have made the squad better. Also Fletcher took time to show I think last year but he certainly did in the last few games. Should that continue it could be argued that this also means the squad is stronger from the start this. Same could be said of Hunt.

If Kightly proves he can hack it in the PL this also would make the squad stronger on last year.

Dont worry about George, I think he will be OK. What he lacks in finesse he more than makes up for in attitude, and being genetically similar to a small Rhino he certainly adds a "presence."

Get down The Mol you're right :D

Bjorn Star

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still won't be completely satisfied until we bring in a better left back. Also, Johnson is a real improvement and shows our steady progression, but if he gets injured we look pretty similar to last year.

Unsurprising really, it's the way we've done things the last few years, adding quality players to the squad bit by bit. LB is urgent though!

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Had forgot about Van Damme...should have maybe likened him to Johnson (though of course not proven Premiership quality).

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still think we are a left back and a mid-fielder short (oh and another centre half if I'm being greedy!!)

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Van Damme messed the club about. Don't need that sort. All George has ever done is give 100 percent and improved.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnson is our biggest signing since Doyle IMO scruffty. I was always very jealous of Birmingham for having him - I still can't believe we've signed him. A 28 year old proven PL defender on the fringes of the England squad is a damn good addition to any squad in the country!

Unless he breaks his leg of course ;)

D

Deleted member 3751

I'm sure at the time of the moyokoulo signing everyone was feeling positive that he might just make the difference too!

You can't compare the signing of Johnson to Mouyokolo at all. Other than has been said, they're both defenders. Mouyokolo was a prospect, Johnson is a top 10 centre back and he should make a massive difference. I think he'll get a few goals as well.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd agree with that Arcadius. I'd really like another 3 signings, LB, CB & CM.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good signings so far. Hopefully another couple, perhaps loannees to come in. But at this stage we need cast iron first teamers not squad fillers and that costs money which at the moment seems somewhat limited judging by sounds emanating from Mr Moxey. We are stronger than last year but thinking about Blackburn away where we have got into the habit of losing it will be interesting to see whether we can actually get at least a point for a change. Not convinced at the moment that we are that much further on barring the addition of Johnson.

MacTrizzle

Reaction score
I'd agree with that Arcadius. I'd really like another 3 signings, LB, CB & CM.

Agreed....

We have made a good start, but I would say for us to comfortably stave off relegation we need to get cover/replacements in these 3 positions.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are progressing but our chronic problems at left back persist- teams can still get at us quite easily

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't believe we have strengthed as much as I would have liked. If we could get another CM and LB in then fantastic, but I can see us struggling in defence again this season.

Johnson is just one man with Berra and Elokobi next to him for the season ahead......

Last edited by a moderator:

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don't sort out the left back issue I feel we will still be in a right old dog fight at the foot of the table !!

This issue has to be sorted before this transfer window closes and I will see it as a huge failing on MM if it isn’t as it has been our Achilles heel for over half of his tenure.

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we don't sort out the left back issue I feel we will still be in a right old dog fight at the foot of the table !!

This issue has to be sorted before this transfer window closes and I will see it as a huge failing on MM if it isn’t as it has been our Achilles heel for over half of his tenure.

Totally agree, I cant sleep at night worrying about it!

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Make an appointment first thing Monday morning. He might be able to prescribe something to calm you down:D

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Make an appointment first thing Monday morning. He might be able to prescribe something to calm you down:D
Think I need to make an appointment as well! It's causing sleepless nights! Surely we will buy a left back? Please!!!!!!

S

Sharples

We have the 25 man squad ruling we cant go making 5 or 6 signings to strengthen the squad as we'll have too many players sat about doing nothing ala Man City.

Agree if we get key players injured we'll struggle but that is the same for any club in this division. If you take away each clubs best 2 players they'll really suffer. Part of football, I would like to see another left back, but I think with Hunt on the left it will offer our LB more support. Have to see but the likes of Foley, Stearman, Henry are constantly improving and adapting to this level so I think we'll do OK for our expectations.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key area remaining the same is.........
The coaching staff

I predict a similar struggle.

M

Mugwump

Johnson is an improvement on last season. Thats it really, although we will probably see a better jamie o'hara with a pre season behind him. We still lack a couple of defenders imo, especially a left back.

Back
Top Bottom