Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Have we added value with the squad?

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conscious there is a lot of debate about wasted money and how much better we’d have been if only….

so thought I’d do a quick tot-up and allocate our current squad into one of 5 buckets

- significantly increased in value (>£10m)
- increased in value (£5m-£10m)
- no material change (+/- £5m)
- decreased in value
- significantly decreased in value.

Here is my simple attempt

Significantly increased
RAN, Kilman, Toti, Gomes, Hwang, Neto

Increased
Bueno, Lemina, Doyle, Traore, Cunha, Mosquera, Sa

No material change
Bentley, King, Doc, Bueno (S), Chiquinho, Cundle, Hodge, Dawson, Bellegarde, Sarabia

Decreased
Hoever

Significantly decreased
Semedo, Silva, Guedes, Podence, Sasa

Overall that feels pretty decent. Semedo is only on significant decrease list due to age/contract and similarly Podence due to contract. Sasa there due to injury. Silva and Guedes are the outliers more than offset by the significantly increased brigade.

Yours Jeff….

Last edited:

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would move Cunha up to the significantly improved tier. Considering how much above market value we had to pay to get him someone would now have to offer significantly above his current market value for us to consider selling.

At the end of the day a players true value is what you'll have to pay to get him rather than what might be on Transfermkt, and someone would have to come up with a hell of a lot more than 53m euros for us to even consider selling Cunha

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would move Jose Sa up to your 'increased in value' category.

For the £6.5m we initially paid he has been excellent value and I think we would get at least double that now if we sold him
I think that’s fair (not least as I had in mind we spent something above £10m!!).

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would move Cunha up to the significantly improved tier. Considering how much above market value we had to pay to get him someone would now have to offer significantly above his current market value for us to consider selling.

At the end of the day a players true value is what you'll have to pay to get him rather than what might be on Transfermkt, and someone would have to come up with a hell of a lot more than 53m euros for us to even consider selling Cunha
I love Cunha and think he’ll definitely get there. Is it a slam dunk he’d be above £55m now? Maybe….so happy to correct in time….

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forgot Bellegarde! Added now.

Still, overall, pretty decent is my take. Someone else might try to quantify it but feels like £100m gain in a slightly tricky market.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman £50m
Neto £60m (I’m squirming typing that as he’s like my car, just get him MoT’d and get rid…shhh, say no more!)
Toti £25m
Gomes £50m
Hwang £25m (can’t believe the season he’s having. I would’ve paid his taxi to Leeds last summer)
Sa £30m

That’s way more than a hundred million potential profit.

The Silva, Guedes and Cutrone car crashes have easily been off-set by previous sales.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Cunha and think he’ll definitely get there. Is it a slam dunk he’d be above £55m now? Maybe….so happy to correct in time….
I just don't think we'd entertain a sale at £55m. Someone would have to come in with £70m+ for us to even consider it

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha signed for £50m probably can add another 10/20m onto that now. Brazilian international same for Joao Gomes stock risen considerably

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conscious there is a lot of debate about wasted money and how much better we’d have been if only….

so thought I’d do a quick tot-up and allocate our current squad into one of 5 buckets

- decreased in value

Significantly increased

Increased

No material change
Bentley, King, Doc, Bueno (S), Chiquinho, Cundle, Hodge, Dawson, Bellegarde

Decreased
Hoever

Significantly decreased

Overall that feels pretty decent. Semedo is only on significant decrease list due to age/contract and similarly Podence due to contract. Sasa there due to injury. Silva and Guedes are the outliers more than offset by the significantly increased brigade.

Yours Jeff….
You appear to have omitted Sarabia.

Easily forgotten I suppose

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman £50m
Neto £60m (I’m squirming typing that as he’s like my car, just get him MoT’d and get rid…shhh, say no more!)
Toti £25m
Gomes £50m
Hwang £25m (can’t believe the season he’s having. I would’ve paid his taxi to Leeds last summer)
Sa £30m

The Silva, Guedes and Cutrone car crashes have easily been off-set by previous sales.
Happy to be £100m+ in profit!!

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
here is a wage breakdown of the current premier league clubs....
438092219_1513150582749101_2820538422120788979_n.jpg

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
View attachment 42431
Interesting post. for anyone who isnt sad like me and therefore hasnt read Soccernomics by Stefan Szymanski, in it he mentions that the strongest correlation with league position is wage expenditure. Not transfer fees or past position or number of international players etc.
Maybe Jeff has read it too and why we budgeted for a 17th place!
Shows how well we have overachieved this season also.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Say what you like about Lopetegui and there are lots of opinions about him.

He could spot and sign some fantastic players.

Each one has in their own way been massively influential to us since they signed

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 42431
Interesting that top 9 are the top nine at the moment in the league . Surely this shows you must spend to be up the league .

I know that's not rocket science to most , but we have to improve the squad in the summer or any decent players or staff will be leaving for various clubs that are showing more ambition by spending money .

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that top 9 are the top nine at the moment in the league . Surely this shows you must spend to be up the league .

I know that's not rocket science to most , but we have to improve the squad in the summer or any decent players or staff will be leaving for various clubs that are showing more ambition by spending money .
You have to look at it. Three times the spend for Villa to us and they haven’t won anything yet either.

It does explain why we never seen to be the preferred choice. We aren’t the best payers.

Now I am fine with that but there is an element of risk and we can afford no more Fabio type hubris signings .

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

- decreased in value

Significantly increased

Increased

No material change
Bentley, King, Doc, Bueno (S), Chiquinho, Cundle, Hodge, Dawson, Bellegarde, Sarabia

Decreased
Hoever

Significantly decreased

Yours Jeff….
With amortisation you can move several up several sections

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 42431
And it's nonsense

Man City's wage bill last season was over £400m so more than double what that list reckons, Wolves wages year ending 2023 were £141m which is £2.71m a week

It might be a reasonable reflection of where the clubs are on the list, the numbers don't add up though

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The amount of column inches that we've given Fabio on this forum must be worth 10 mil in its own right.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And it's nonsense

Man City's wage bill last season was over £400m so more than double what that list reckons, Wolves wages year ending 2023 were £141m which is £2.71m a week

It might be a reasonable reflection of where the clubs are on the list, the numbers don't add up though
Chelsea figures seem low given the total wage bill was £404 million for the year (£7.75m per week)
But maybe Boris ( their version of Doris) is on £1m a year

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that is accurate then sadly don't be surprised if some players head's are turned....
But difference is partly smaller squad size? Forest only 50% more with how many more players? Also presumably we lost a lot of huge earners over Summer - Raul, Neves, Moutinho, Nunes plus Traore those 5 must have been £300k+ then we’re around the right place?

If true West Ham spending over £90m and over £50m more than us for 3 points.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman £50m
Toti £25m
Gomes £50m
Sa £30m

It's a game of opinions ay it?

Back
Top Bottom