Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Has GON Been Tapped Up?

Bigcheese

Reaction score
After watching his post match interview basically saying him and Hobbs were telling Fosun investment was needed in January,is this going the way of JL's departure and putting other clubs on notice?
I think he knew that thing's were going to be tight January,PSR saw to that, but it sounds to me like he's had his head turned.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is ambitious and will want to be at a club that allows him to show his skills best. Wolves need to show him that we can be the club for that (and any future manager after GON leaves).

I don't think he's been tapped up, but his stock has risen considerably this season and he will be a man in demand which means he holds all the cards.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gaz said he loves it here

Club must start delivering on their promises

Once the likes of Gaz and Hobbs walk we are in trouble

Head turned by who Liverpool or West Ham? Gaz still has 2 years left on his contract here

The Man Utd offer might not be “assistant” for long if you catch my drift……

Ten hag is not liked by the players! He lost the dressing room some time ago.

He is refusing to let final say on transfers be removed from his contract and that has brailsford and INEOS fuming with him!

That story is bubbling away…..

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looked properly ****ed off in that post match sky interview. I think GON is v ambitious and he’s gone from the prospect of a cup semi and Europe to basically mid-table obscurity with little hope of improvement.
Once managers start openly calling out the club it generally only goes one way. Getting v strong Lopetegui 2 vibes.

No one likes losing their semi.

stevev53

Reaction score
I have watched the interview and once again I see GON just saying it as it is . He says the club were not in a financial position to help out so not in my opinion a go at the club just straight forward honest answers to the questions asked . It is however a wake up call for Shi because if this guy is not backed in the summer there will be a lot of disgruntled fans .

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rumours that Moyes will leave at end of the season as fans don’t like the style of play. I would imagine GON will be on their list of potential managers.
The meltdown on here if we were to lose him to West Ham would be an absolute all timer. I wouldn’t be completely stunned either tbqfh. Hardly like he can expect any major backing here. No way he’d have been left high and dry in Jan if he were over there and in our position. And thats with their owners ffs.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have watched the interview and once again I see GON just saying it as it is . He says the club were not in a financial position to help out so not in my opinion a go at the club just straight forward honest answers to the questions asked . It is however a wake up call for Shi because if this guy is not backed in the summer there will be a lot of disgruntled fans .
We won’t ‘back him’ as such. We’ll first be looking to get rid of deadwood and make some big sales of one or two of our best players, and then we’ll spend a proportion of that money (say half) on a few promising players whilst bringing in a free or two. If we are lucky. By contrast at West Ham, where you could totally see GON end up before long, they will probably sell Paqueta for £100 million odd and then go out and buy 3 or 4 quality players and improve.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then why did we let two strikers go out on loan?

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This summer’s transfer window will be key for GON imo. If we find ourselves next season having a matchday squad needing to include 4 to 5 u23’s who have barely any first team experience between them then I think he will look to move on but not until then.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were a lot of disgruntled fans at the start of last summer. By the middle of the season a decent start and incessant club propaganda had most blaming the former head coach.....

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
This summer’s transfer window will be key for GON imo. If we find ourselves next season having a matchday squad needing to include 4 to 5 u23’s who have barely any first team experience between them then I think he will look to move on but not until then.
Yep, we’ve known all season that money wasn’t freely available and that the club had even budgeted to finish 17th. It’s been a much better season than we all expected, and hopefully there’s more room to spend this summer. O’Neil has earned the right for some backing. Not talking silly money like Everton or Forest, but give him £50m to go and sign 4-5 quality players to add to the team.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course he would have been sounded out by West Ham, knowing that Moyes is likely stepping down at the end of the season. And he will have made the club fully aware that he’s got options at the end of the season. It’s nothing new and is happening to managers around the world every single season, it’s the leverage he needs to get some solid promises for the summer.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love the ‘matter of fact’ statements, but has anything you’ve said ever actually happened?!
Yes, i said cunha would be in the squad tuesday wasy before it was announced and before the presser

i said that the front line for the villa game was chiwome, sarabia again before it linked

Either way its only from compton and what snippets people hear

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I completely agree, but this was whats hobbs and gon were given reassurances even after jan, get past PSR and we can be good come summer

I guess then we might see Gary’s comments last night as a msg to Shi and Hobbs along the line - I’ve done my job, now it’s time to do yours. I do worry a bit about the possibility that Gary might get tapped by West Ham.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, i said cunha would be in the squad tuesday wasy before it was announced and before the presser

i said that the front line for the villa game was chiwome, sarabia again before it linked

Either way its only from compton and what snippets people hear

Alright mate.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The comments aren't really that ground breaking when you see the snippets from other sources. Pretty run of the mill...and logical.

Reaction score
He's just very frustrated with how things are panning out right now, that's all, as are many fans.

It may be that, rather than the non-signing of a striker on it's own, his biggest regret/frustration is allowing two strikers to leave on loan without a replacement in place - albeit 2 players he clearly didn't fancy and had hardly played.

Assuming he gets supported in the summer in the transfer market then he'll be here at the start of next season but he could have a very big decision to make should West Ham come calling. He is in a strong position for the new contract discussions planned at the end of the season and has a big supporter in the shape of Hobbs.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won’t ‘back him’ as such. We’ll first be looking to get rid of deadwood and make some big sales of one or two of our best players, and then we’ll spend a proportion of that money (say half) on a few promising players whilst bringing in a free or two. If we are lucky. By contrast at West Ham, where you could totally see GON end up before long, they will probably sell Paqueta for £100 million odd and then go out and buy 3 or 4 quality players and improve.
More proportionate responses after a loss.
What leads you to believe we wouldn’t reinvest money from sales?
Not like Fosun are desperately clawing back cash for their own benefit, the whole point of the fire sale was to AVOID MAKING LOSSES OF OVER £105m.
They’ve not had short arms long pockets, more fools easily parted with it.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course he would have been sounded out by West Ham, knowing that Moyes is likely stepping down at the end of the season. And he will have made the club fully aware that he’s got options at the end of the season. It’s nothing new and is happening to managers around the world every single season, it’s the leverage he needs to get some solid promises for the summer.
Promises..............fosun???

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More proportionate responses after a loss.
What leads you to believe we wouldn’t reinvest money from sales?
Not like Fosun are desperately clawing back cash for their own benefit, the whole point of the fire sale was to AVOID MAKING LOSSES OF OVER £105m.
They’ve not had short arms long pockets, more fools easily parted with it.
I literally just said we’d reinvest half of it and bring in some frees. Its written right there. We’ll probably keep some in reserve I should imagine? I didn’t suggest they’d pocket it. Not sure what you’re getting mad at here. Seems perfectly plausible to me?

Edit - lets say we we were to sell neto and gomes for a combined £120 million. You reckon we are spending all that on replacements? Or would half, perhaps a bit more, seem more likely?

Last edited:

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then why did we let two strikers go out on loan?
The corbeanu sale would have covered fabio silva's wages for half a season so why didn't we have at least him as our striker.
I ask again. Is it Hobbs or Fosun's fault we have no number 9? Was money withheld at the last moment preventing us from loaning someone in?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The corbeanu sale would have covered fabio silva's wages for half a season so why didn't we have at least him as our striker.
I ask again. Is it Hobbs or Fosun's fault we have no number 9? Was money withheld at the last moment preventing us from loaning someone in?

Based on reports, the financial headroom was very tight, with no more than 2-3m available based on a worst case 17th finish. Gary has already said himself that we had someone lined up on loan, but that we were outbid at the 11th hour and couldn’t match without risking breaking the limit. So was money withheld, then yes in a sense, and no. Had we been sitting in the bottom three and/or missing forwards to injury at the time, then maybe the club takes the risk, spends a few million more, and we aim to finish a couple of places higher so the prize money covers the gap. But back in January, three of four forwards were fit, and the fourth was expected back imminently. Our bigger concern then was losing players to Afcon and Asia Cup, which looked bad but in practice affected only a handful of games.

As for Fabio. For a start he, through his father, made it clear he didn’t want to be here. Secondly, I’m genuinely not sure he offers much more than our two young forwards. Sasa would’ve offered something different, but wasn’t fit and, as we’ve seen since, remains injury prone.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
I just think it’s a bit of self preservation. Things haven’t gone to plan for him the last few weeks and he is clearly annoyed and frustrated at maybe his own decisions with subs etc. sometimes you get lucky other times you get found out.
He let Sasa and Silva go after saying they wouldn’t play and for whatever reason couldn’t find that small ammount he was talking about to get a striker in.
Either way I’m not a fan of public shaming, we all know and agree we need and needed another striker and let’s hope all involved have several targets lined up.
For now GON has got what he’s got and has shown that we deserve our spot in the table. A few more positive games and still potential for Europe or at the least a few million for every place we finish.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Fosun wish to achieve their originally stated objectives they need to back GON. Now that they have a proven quality manager, they can really push on towards these objectives. The summer transfer window will tell us how serious they really are.

Back
Top Bottom