Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Happy St Jorge's Day

W

wolvesultra

Your probably allowed to celebrate that one unlike the true English patron saint that everyone is too scared to.
Are people really scared to celebrate St Georges day though? Or is just they're go to answer before going into a right wing rant.

I've celebrated St Georges days plenty of the years never felt I needed to be scared to do so.

Has anyone ever actually complained about people celebrating St Georges day?

St Georges day to me is a celebration of all things English. Which includes being the welcoming, inclusive and tolerant place we more often than not (although less these last few years) are.

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are people really scared to celebrate St Georges day though? Or is just they're go to answer before going into a right wing rant.

I've celebrated St Georges days plenty of the years never felt I needed to be scared to do so.

Has anyone ever actually complained about people celebrating St Georges day?

St Georges day to me is a celebration of all things English. Which includes being the welcoming, inclusive and tolerant place we more often than not (although less these last few years) are.
How many places are covered in bunting today? How many pubs and restaurants are doing anything special? Now how many were doing a hell of a lot more for the oirish last month?
Just gets up my nose that nobody gives a crap for their own day but would rather celebrate everything else.

W

wolvesultra

How many places are covered in bunting today? How many pubs and restaurants are doing anything special? Now how many were doing a hell of a lot more for the oirish last month?
Just gets up my nose that nobody gives a crap for their own day but would rather celebrate everything else.
I'm not denying its under celebrated compared to other patron saint days, I just dispute the reasoning that its because people are scared of causing offence.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely Talisca announcement on this special day?

sheffwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Your probably allowed to celebrate that one unlike the true English patron saint that everyone is too scared to.

The true English patron saint who was born in Turkey and died in Israel?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Do you really believe people want to celebrate but feel too scared to? Or is it people just can't be bothered, or are comfortable enough in their English-ness to not feel the need for forced celebration.

Persecuted people often - and totally understandably - over celebrate their identity. Gay pride is a perfect example of this. The English are generally the persecutors rather than the persecuted and it's not surprising this had led to a culture where most people just don't feel the need to shout about it. Just like how International Women's day always gets more focus than International Men's day, etc.

Who's exactly the ones stopping people from celebrating if they wish too?

Last edited:

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The true English patron saint who was born in Turkey and died in Israel?

I've never really understood the link with St George and England. I believe there was a small cult following of his in pre Conquest England, but it was only after Richard the Lionheart's time crusading that it really took off. So yes, we have a middle eastern saint who was promoted by a French speaking king (who hardly set foot in England himself). It just seems odd to me, especially considering the large number of English saints we could celebrate.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of people don't even know when St George's day is - it's nothing to do with being to afraid to celebrate it.

They celebrate Paddies day instead because it's a good excuse for a **** up.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never really understood the link with St George and England. I believe there was a small cult following of his in pre Conquest England, but it was only after Richard the Lionheart's time crusading that it really took off. So yes, we have a middle eastern saint who was promoted by a French speaking king (who hardly set foot in England himself). It just seems odd to me, especially considering the large number of English saints we could celebrate.
Good article about it here and St Edmund, the original patron saint of England

St Edmund, original Patron Saint of England

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of people don't even know when St George's day is - it's nothing to do with being to afraid to celebrate it.

They celebrate Paddies day instead because it's a good excuse for a **** up.

St Patrick helped convert the Irish to Christianity. Many years later, the Irish helped re-establish Christianity into mainland Britain after the pagan Angles & Saxons had marginalised the native (Christian) Britons. Therefore St Patrick had more of an influence on England than St George ever did. As good a reason as any to celebrate St Paddy's Day (not that you need an excuse!).

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good article about it here and St Edmund, the original patron saint of England

St Edmund, original Patron Saint of England

Cheers NW. Always a relief to find that you haven't got your facts too wrong (I ought to check before I post).

I think Edward the Confessor was also revered as a patron saint of sorts, though I've no idea what he did to deserve sainthood (leaving a power vacuum leading to invasion by two different factions, and eventual subjugation and slavery to the Normans doesn't really tick the sainthood box in my opinion).

Then again, St Edmund's claim to fame was martyrdom at the hands of the Danes.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers NW. Always a relief to find that you haven't got your facts too wrong (I ought to check before I post).

I think Edward the Confessor was also revered as a patron saint of sorts, though I've no idea what he did to deserve sainthood (leaving a power vacuum leading to invasion by two different factions, and eventual subjugation and slavery to the Normans doesn't really tick the sainthood box in my opinion).

Then again, St Edmund's claim to fame was martyrdom at the hands of the Danes.
Just had a read up about Edward. Seems a political canonisation rather than anything he did. Quite strange, although given the nominations for peerages these days, then perhaps not.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that the Danes used him for target practice after a day in the pub

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
St Patrick helped convert the Irish to Christianity. Many years later, the Irish helped re-establish Christianity into mainland Britain after the pagan Angles & Saxons had marginalised the native (Christian) Britons. Therefore St Patrick had more of an influence on England than St George ever did. As good a reason as any to celebrate St Paddy's Day (not that you need an excuse!).

Christians persecuted yet again, what is it they are doing wrong?

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
22nd June is the feast day of St Alban, who is the closest thing we've got to a patron saint of the Midlands. King Offa of Mercia had a thing for St Alban, and built a church in his name in London (when London was part of Mercia and controlled by the good honest Midland folk!). In fact the Mercian flag was the St Albans cross.

For what it's worth, St Alban was supposed to be Britain's first Christian martyr - killed for his beliefs in much the same way as St George.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that the Danes used him for target practice after a day in the pub

Those Danes were a rowdy lot. Ask St Alphege (Archbishop of Canterbury who was kidnapped by them, pelted with animal bones after a meal, then bludgeoned with an axe). St Alphege is the patron saint of kidnap victims, if I recall correctly.

Not Dane related, but Oswestry is said to be named after St Oswald's tree. The Christian king of Northumbria, Oswald, was defeated by the pagan King Penda (of Mercia) at the Battle of Maserfeld, and his body was dismembered and hung up on a tree.

Another Midlands saint, St Chad was one who didn't come to a nasty end, but was instrumental in bringing Christianity to the pagan Mercians, along with his brother Cedd, who bizarrely was also made a saint.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christians persecuted yet again, what is it they are doing wrong?

Naughty!

At least it wasn't the Muslims that time, it was those bloody English coming over here and stealing our jobs, pinching our land and persecuting our Christians... :D

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Great Heathen Army under Halfdan and Ivar the Boneless was destroyed at Tettenhall after sailing as far as Bridgnorth and trying to escape overland.

Another home win for Wolves

Back
Top Bottom