Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Guedes

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know this is a bit fanciful but now that we have a new management set up is there any chance Guedes after he recovers from injury in October (?) could be led back into the Wolves fold. He is a good player and it seems to me the club and manager in particular, should do everything they can to give him another chance. We literally can't afford for hiim to be a complete failure. He is a £27m investment we need to come relatively good at least. Why should Benefica benefit-they are only paying part of his wages in any case. I know he didn't look that interested to begin with but things change in football and he could be a big boost to the squad if he could be got back to his former international standards.....we need to try everything at this stage...

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know this is a bit fanciful but now that we have a new management set up is there any chance Guedes after he recovers from injury in October (?) could be led back into the Wolves fold. He is a good player and it seems to me the club and manager in particular, should do everything they can to give him another chance. We literally can't afford for hiim to be a complete failure. He is a £27m investment we need to come relatively good at least. Why should Benefica benefit=they are only paying part of his wages in any case. I know he didn't look that interested to begin with but things change in football and he could be a big boost to the squad if he could be got back to his former international standards.....we need to try everything at this stage...

Thoughts?
Would need fantastic man management from GON and an absolute change of heart from Goncalo.

His goal against arsenal though was utter class and he has abilitity, Gon says he will assess, id be surprised.

He will want benfica his native portugal and chance in europe

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s the perceived lack of effort/commitment that seemingly makes Guedes untenable.
If he’d just had a bad time with injuries, struggled for form, but was obviously working his **** off, nobody would mind. A rookie manager that wanted and believed in him was here first, he wasn’t *****. A highly respected manager came in that also knew of him, binned him off at first opportunity.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He might as well buckle down in October as he can't realistically go anywhere. We can revisit it all in January then.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His attitude and demeanour will have to change dramatically if he is to be welcomed back into the squad.

Not doubting he is a good player, it would be like an exciting new signing if he buckles down.

Never really understood why we signed him if he didn’t want to be here, though.Where was our due diligence?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil already said he's taking a look at Guedes, Podence, and Jonny who had been kind of cast out.

He's also got Alfie Pond training with the 1st team, more-so just so he has a 4th CB but he seems to be impressed with him so far.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil already said he's taking a look at Guedes, Podence, and Jonny who had been kind of cast out.

He's also got Alfie Pond training with the 1st team, more-so just so he has a 4th CB but he seems to be impressed with him so far.
Pond is highly rated. Is he training as impressed or needs must?

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pond is highly rated. Is he training as impressed or needs must?
I'm guessing he's training as a need, but he's been impressing apparently.

“The three boys, plus Pondy who came and trained with us, have trained really well."

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hes been given a squad number so could be a case of not getting on with the bosses. There's a player in there. Defo could be a good player for us.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I hope he is also looking at Jordao who looked promising until his injuries set him back. He may not make it now but I think at least he deserves to be considered.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be open to giving him a shot, but if the manager has even the slightest doubt his head isnt in the game then it should be a no.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guedes can play centrally as well as out wide which is exactly what we need right now. Just hoping that somehow we get him back in the mix. Surely the prospect of playing with Nunes, Neto Semedo, Sa, etc would appeal to some extent?

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s the perceived lack of effort/commitment that seemingly makes Guedes untenable.
If he’d just had a bad time with injuries, struggled for form, but was obviously working his **** off, nobody would mind. A rookie manager that wanted and believed in him was here first, he wasn’t *****. A highly respected manager came in that also knew of him, binned him off at first opportunity.
Re your last sentence, yes and no.

JL had reportedly wanted to sign Guedes for Sevilla which suggests that he valued the player.

He would, though, doubtless have received input from both Guedes himself and also Steve Davies et al when he arrived. The net outcome was a loan out.

There is still a player in there somewhere, one which many Mixers for years wanted us to sign and moaned that we didn't.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
He wouldn't be the first player to struggle and then find his way in the second season with a different set up. Let's be honest a lot of us are jumping to conclusions about him not wanting to be here. Yes he may struggle, but he might also thrive. If there was an offer one the table can realistically see him going, but on the off chance he's still here in 2 weeks time then give him a go.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guedes can play centrally as well as out wide which is exactly what we need right now. Just hoping that somehow we get him back in the mix. Surely the prospect of playing with Nunes, Neto Semedo, Sa, etc would appeal to some extent?
Could he link up with Cunha/Silva maybe?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pre-season does funny things to people.

He's already not tried under Bruno Lage. Then Julen Lopetegui thought he was that bad he would rather send him away than have him at the club when we were desperate.

But Gary O'Neil will solve the problem? Hmm...

We will end up loaning him out and paying some of his wages, which says it all. He only hasn't gone yet because he's injured. Why would you loan a player when they're not fit? Let Wolves pay all his wages, then pick up the bit you're going to play at the deadline. Makes sense.

I despise Guedes. I'd be extremely tempted to make him train with the U21s and make him suffer here in Wolverhampton instead of paying money to him enjoying himself at Benfica if we weren't so skint.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every breadcrumb counts at the moment...the truth is we know very little as to what happened with him...the club must have done some due diligence on him - well known to his Portuguese international colleagues for a start.... there should always be the opportunity for a new start but of course he must show willing.....
We can't let a £27m investment crash without trying everything to make it work.

32 caps for Portugal and only 26.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every breadcrumb counts at the moment...the truth is we know very little as to what happened with him...the club must have done some due diligence on him - well known to his Portuguese international colleagues for a start.... there should always be the opportunity for a new start but of course he must show willing.....
We can't let a £27m investment crash without trying everything to make it work.

32 caps for Portugal and only 26.
The club should have done due diligence and he should have visited the town at least once before signing. Good player, but needs to go somewhere he wants to play. Besides, the portugese contingent is diminishing all the time.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’d have to take a bath on a sale, and what good would a loan do? Probably have to cover most of his wages. So yes, wring out any talent we’ve got. I’m sure he could play his way to Saudi by January and it could be great for everyone. Gary could play him in his natural position if he goes 4-4-2, which could lower the sulking levels, and the weather doesn’t get too depressing for a few months.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He never wanted to come in the first place - get rid.

Did this actually come from somewhere, or is it just based on his body language when playing in an abject team under Lage?

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If he didn't want to play for us before (pre financial disaster and embarassing ****-up) then he sure as heck isn't gona want to play for us now! Presumably he'll stay for a bit, get some fitness, then head off somewhere nicer in Europe with a warmer climate and better food...

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Tbf a few players struggled last year when joining us (Nunes, Sarabia, Collins). Maybe the way the club was made it tough to settle? I’m happy to give Gonçalo another chance. If he’s willing to work hard and put the effort in.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He would need a heart transplant as currently he hasn’t got one.

We don’t need any bad eggs

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People always speak as if they know the player personally! "He never wanted to come in the first place" etc etc. This soon turns into an unchallengeable truth repeated mechanically on MM. All sorts of factors may be involved that we know nothing about.

You don't win 32 caps for Portugal by being a depressed wimp as some here make out. Its inconceivable the club did not do some proper homework on him and being Portuguese many at the club would have had an inside knowledge of him. Admittedly his body language was negative but I refuse to write him off completely based on little or no knowledge.

If he could be 'turned' we would have a hell of a useful player on our hands and another vital striker/winger option. We will see what happens and I would agree its probably more likely he disappears back to Benefica but I am still hopeful O'Neil will take a proper look at him before that and perhaps persuade him to give Wolves a proper go. With no money available for strengthening we have to try everything we can on a player like this.

Last edited:

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People always speak as if they know the player personally! "He never wanted to come in the first place" etc etc. This soon turns into an unchallengeable truth repeated mechanically on MM. All sorts of factors may be involved that we know nothing about.

You don't win 32 caps for Portugal by being a depressed wimp as some here make out. Its inconceivable the club did not do some proper homework on him and being Portuguese many at the club would have had an inside knowledge of him. Admittedly his body language was negative but I refuse to write him off completely based on little or no knowledge.

If he could be 'turned' we would have a hell of a useful player on our hands and another vital striker/winger option. We will see what happens and I would agree its probably more likely he disappears back to Benefica but I am still hopeful O'Neil will take a proper look at him before that and perhaps persuade him to give Wolves a proper go. With no money available for strengthening we have to try everything we can on a player like this.
Could be a degree of truth here. We don't know why he was so demotivated (being generous perhaps). Certainly has ability.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We’d have to take a bath on a sale, and what good would a loan do? Probably have to cover most of his wages. So yes, wring out any talent we’ve got. I’m sure he could play his way to Saudi by January and it could be great for everyone. Gary could play him in his natural position if he goes 4-4-2, which could lower the sulking levels, and the weather doesn’t get too depressing for a few months.
We can’t sell him as it would impact ffp to sell for less than his book value - our problem is ffp rather than cash.

Personally I’d prefer to have him in the squad and get some use out of him, and sell him next year when his book value has dropped by another 20% to roughly what we could sell him for.

Back
Top Bottom