Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Guardian article about Uncle Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Groupie
Reaction score
Agents are parasitic, they make money on deals. What is new about that? Personally I would introduce a wages cap and ban agents but that’s never going to happen.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agents are parasitic, they make money on deals. What is new about that? Personally I would introduce a wages cap and ban agents but that’s never going to happen.

I tend to agree..and I am so far from a communist anyone can be..:)

If Mendes hadn´t been connected to us,I think almost everyone would agree with the tone in the article.

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People look at agents as just people who sort out transfers for players when in reality they sort out the whole lives of their clients. If you read the secret footballer books he goes into details about the player/agent relationship and it’s proper eye opening. Some of these young players on mega mega bucks literally can’t wipe their own arses. They have to (or some lacky) be at their beck and call 24/7.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hardly illegal is it? Well done to Fosun on hooking up with Jorge in order to accelerate our development.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

I'm sure him knowing the difference between Mein Kampf, current Thai rule, The Guardian, and Jorge Mendes is going to make a huge difference to his life choices. Thanks, Internet sage.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ignore it, obviously sick of writing about Harry and Magan.

Just pure jealousy and bitterness

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do they always focus on Mendes and not that scrote Raiola or Willie McKay?

One word. Envy.

I bet if his club Millwall were benefiting from a relationship with Mendes he would have a slightly different view.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
my company makes money from the work I do otherwise I wouldn't have a job, is that parasitic?

from a certain point of view (Hi Karl!) it is but that's the way the system is currently so what are we supposed to do?

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I read the article and to be honest there's nothing in there that hasn't been said many times before. In fact, the journalist lays out an entire business model and then says "There is, of course, no suggestion Mendes would actually consider these calculations". If the journalist isn't suggesting that, then why bother with the article?

I guess all these transfers Mendes and other agents arrange does have one side effect the journalist doesn't mention. It gives journalists a reason to fill their newspapers with gossip and keep Sky Sports News ticking over.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I guess all these transfers Mendes and other agents arrange does have one side effect the journalist doesn't mention. It gives journalists a reason to fill their newspapers with gossip and keep Sky Sports News ticking over.
absolutely

there are people who do stuff and there are people who write about people doing stuff

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guardian- appalling communist rag

Well, I tend to be a bit of a lefty and I really don't believe the Guardian is "communist"! It is genuinely "appalling" though :) It's turned into "Veganism And Climate Alarmism Propaganda Daily".

Anyway...back the article. It is typical of how media can bias an article, while trying to sound objective. I'd be interested in who the writer supports. Because the core of the article is his thinly-veiled horror at the thought of an agent helping "smaller" clubs like Wolves and Famalicao challenging the entrenched orthodoxy.

Typical contemporary Guardian, they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. There's probably some factual errors and almost certainly some serious omissions in the article. Like the whole other side of the story. For example, most football fans want more competitive leagues and for any decent club to have a crack at challenging the big 6. But that is impossible without getting top players in and that's where agents come in. I'm sure most of us are uneasy about agents in general, and rightly to. The article seems to have less problem with agents moving players between the elite. But calls "foul" and implies a conspiracy when top players decide to come to unfashionable clubs like Wolves and Famalicao.

And what about players like Neves and Jota, whose careers have undoubtedly been improved by their time with us? Much more so than being sat on the bench or playing a couple of Hokey Cup matches at the likes of Chelsea or Manure. No comment on Chelsea and Man City buying up decent players to the effect of denying them to opponents as they rarely play for the first team? That's with no Mendes influence at all.

Much as agents do have a "parasitic" aspect to them in any business, I assume Mendes must be succesful because the clubs and the players are all happy with what he does for them. That's a lot more than can be said for most insurance agents, estate agents and financial advisors! :mad:

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Again, concentrate on the football aspects please.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Much as agents do have a "parasitic" aspect to them in any business, I assume Mendes must be succesful because the clubs and the players are all happy with what he does for them. That's a lot more than can be said for most insurance agents, estate agents and financial advisors! :mad:

From our point of view I would say if Nuno is happy with him (best mates according to the article) then we should have no problem as otherwise it would be calling into question the character of Nuno who it seems is as ethically sound as you could ever expect a football manager to be.

Wardy129

Reaction score
All well and good kicking off at agents taking money out of the game when ironically the heads of the football governing bodies some of the most corrupt men in the world.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Using the term Wolverhampton Wanderers Ltd was a bit of a weird way to label us.
I know

if the article was to have any credibility at all he certainly undermined it there

as though football is a game played between a bunch of blokes on the village green with a few other blokes and their dogs watching

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recommend that posters read both articles....the Guardian link and also the Reuters one #5.

some of the reactions so far remind me of a Canadian hockey coach, Allan Eagleson, even national coach who was an agent for many, many players. The country thought the sun shone out of his ass. But a journalist in Massachusetts began to do his job and stated to investigate after hearing lots of rumours.
Short version.....he was found guilty and went to prison. Also, he had cheated many players out of money and pensions.

Same with when newspapers started doing stories on priests and altar boys .....no, no nooo. Our priests would never do anything bad.
Or Boy Scout leaders or football coach’s or Bill Cosby.

I’m NOT saying that Mendes did or does anything wrong but I don’t discount anything because it’s in this or that publication.
My slant was that the writer was going close to the line to avoid litigation but was hoping/encouraging the readers to read between the lines.
Mods....I think this IS Wolves related...

D

Deleted member 4152

I recommend that posters read both articles....the Guardian link and also the Reuters one #5.

some of the reactions so far remind me of a Canadian hockey coach, Allan Eagleson, even national coach who was an agent for many, many players. The country thought the sun shone out of his ass. But a journalist in Massachusetts began to do his job and stated to investigate after hearing lots of rumours.
Short version.....he was found guilty and went to prison. Also, he had cheated many players out of money and pensions.

Same with when newspapers started doing stories on priests and altar boys .....no, no nooo. Our priests would never do anything bad.
Or Boy Scout leaders or football coach’s or Bill Cosby.

I’m NOT saying that Mendes did or does anything wrong but I don’t discount anything because it’s in this or that publication.
My slant was that the writer was going close to the line to avoid litigation but was hoping/encouraging the readers to read between the lines.
Mods....I think this IS Wolves related...
What a load of *******s

Mendes has been at the top of the game for years. Alex Ferguson has stated he is the only one worth doing business with

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a load of *******s

Mendes has been at the top of the game for years. Alex Ferguson has stated he is the only one worth doing business with
You don’t need to label my post like that please......especially when you are inaccurate.
Also, did I say anything that is counter to what you wrote in your last line about Alex? No!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom