Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Groups segregated

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a guy I work with who I won't say exactly what he does but he has to go to the training ground and works with some of our academy players, anyway he told me this morning that since Zenga took over he has very much put up a divide between first team and academy players, they can no longer sit together in the canteen or park near each other which seems totally petty to me!

I don't know how we did training but I presumed we also merged groups under Kenny, if so that will also stop if they can't even eat together, could be the beginning of the end for our academy

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or it be showing that those Academy players need to earn their right to be first team members.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A new broom always sweeps clean. Things will always change. For better or worse.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Interesting but a maybe bit hyperbolic. I would have thought the most likely reason for this is to keep the first team closely knit and make the new players and old players bond?

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very old school tactics but one that's still used quite a lot.

Just means the kids have to work harder to get into the first team squad rather than just be given it

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or it be showing that those Academy players need to earn their right to be first team members.

I agree with this, why should these kids think they've made before even getting near the first team.
It makes it more of an incentive to want aspire to be like the first team boys!

Just like a lot of things in life, kids have it far to easy today!

M

Mr Wolf

Good, they should be boot cleaning also. Not necessarily ours but I dislike arrogant young footballers who think they've made it when they haven't even played 5 real games.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until a few weeks ago half the academy would have been the first team squad.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's also a tactic that is in use in some of the top academies. The separation of groups till you are good enough and proved your worth in the level above. Look at Barcelona with their progression from Youth, Barcelona C, Barcelona B and then the first team etc etc.

D

Deleted member 4594

Good. Too many kids in academies think they're "ballers". They should have to earn being with the first team.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It may be a temporary thing until Walter and his mates get to know individuals.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly a system used at other clubs until recently Rashford was not "allowed" to eat etc with the first team at Man Utd although he was playing with them.

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
This is such an old-fashioned way of doing things. At the very least it means we aren't going down the road of using the academy to develop future 1st teamers any more. Bringing youth up from the academy isn't just about developing their skills on the pitch.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe unlike Jackett who I felt had a great deal of interest in the academy as he knew that was going to be his mean source for new recruits took an interest, whereas the new head coach, whoever it is, doesn't and maybe the split between academy and first team will be bigger.

The point being the head coach focuses on the first team and the academy coaches focus on their development.

A

AlexWWFC

I have a guy I work with who I won't say exactly what he does but he has to go to the training ground and works with some of our academy players, anyway he told me this morning that since Zenga took over he has very much put up a divide between first team and academy players, they can no longer sit together in the canteen or park near each other which seems totally petty to me!

I don't know how we did training but I presumed we also merged groups under Kenny, if so that will also stop if they can't even eat together, could be the beginning of the end for our academy

Yes we did merge groups under Kenny in training, sometimes even the academy players I'd never heard of. He'd then slowly remove the younger players as the drills progressed, I presume to stop them getting too tired.

I don't think this is a bad thing, I remember hearing the class of 92 talking about their 'apprenticeship' and how it helped shape them and helped them deal with pressure... Brought them closer as a young group.

Seems slightly harsh from the outside looking in but nothing to worry about.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Brighton do this at their training ground. The classrooms and canteens all have glass walls which look into the first team gym, canteen etc. It's supposed to inspire them to want to cross the divide and to have what the first team have rather than all being in the same facility.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care if he has the academy cleaning the bogs in the South Bank as long as he gets results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully this signals an end to the practical merging of the academy into the first team foisted upon us by the M&M strategy.

The young kids should feel part of the club, not part of the first team until they can actually step up.

Soho Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good idea, I'm a Trainer and we don't let our Students mix with our staff until they've passed all their assessments.

Reaction score
Good idea, bring them down a peg or 2.
But equally, we want the youth players to feel confident coming in if they are to start making appearances, many of them in the past have commented on already knowing the first team characters and that making a difference. Similarly, surely they can learn from training and talking with the senior squad?

Sent from my X17_S using Tapatalk

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. We need to remember this is competitive sport. It is basic , simple ,hierarchical and quite old fashioned.

O

OldWolvesfart

It may be a temporary thing until Walter and his mates get to know individuals.

I agree that the focus should be on preparing for the game on Saturday and for Zenga the whole 1st team are new to him. Weather it's temp or permanent its sensible at least for a few games to allow new and old to blend as one group. I think.

D

Deleted member 4023

Personally not too bothered if it gets the required results

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect it's a matter of expediency. Zenga's had such a short time to get to know the players, maybe he feels he's best off focusing exclusively on the first team for a short while until he's familiar with their strengths and weaknesses.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Let's give the new manager a chance?

Too many nit picking

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But equally, we want the youth players to feel confident coming in if they are to start making appearances, many of them in the past have commented on already knowing the first team characters and that making a difference. Similarly, surely they can learn from training and talking with the senior squad?

Sent from my X17_S using Tapatalk

Which makes it a beneficial motivational tool when players doing the right things are given it as a reward rather than a given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Picking holes....the little dears will get over it. The most important thing is to create a winning culture not an all inclusive, lovey dovey place of mediocrity.

B

Benson

Strange "news". They have two separate buildings, separate pitches and have been separated for many years. I dont know about tables when eating but to me it doesnt sound like big changes. If its about separating the first team squad and the U23 squad (which are not an "Academy team") its a slightly different story, but I am almost certain the first team and the U23 team has never been together in training.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Very old school tactics but one that's still used quite a lot.

Just means the kids have to work harder to get into the first team squad rather than just be given it

Someone correct me, if I am wrong. But thinking back, I recall Bill McGarry had a similar kind of separation.

First team and youth players separate.

Think it was Kenny Hibbitt who once said, he had to break into the first team dressing room, or words to that effect.

WorcesterWulf

Groupie
Reaction score
Football is a business and a successful business is based on hierarchy... There needs to be a ladder of authority all the way to the top!

B

Benson

Was separated under McCarthy, was separated under Solbakken and Saunders, and was separated under Jackett. Nothing has changed. They are different teams and squads and doesnt even train at the same times.

Back
Top Bottom