Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON vs JL - Record After 23 Games

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think the squad was significantly down graded in the summer with the players we lost like Neves, Nunes, Jiminez, Traore and Collins. So probably unfair to analyse the results between Lopetegui and O Neil like for like. Their are many variables that I would argue gave O Neil a significantly worse hand. Preperation time, financial backing, a team of coaches etc.

With those players we lost everyone including many on here had us in an uphill relegation scrap.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think the squad was significantly down graded in the summer with the players we lost like Neves, Nunes, Jiminez, Traore and Collins. So probably unfair to analyse the results between Lopetegui and O Neil like for like. Their are many variables that I would argue gave O Neil a significantly worse hand. Preperation time, financial backing, a team of coaches etc.

With those players we lost everyone including many on here had us in an uphill relegation scrap.

GON didnt have a pre season to implement his tactics and style, but at the same time, the players had been very well prepared under Lopetegui so on that front it was a good base to work from compared to Lopetegui taking over from Lage, where the whole club was in a huge mess.

GON has had a slightly lesser squad to work with. I think Neves is the only real loss we had, the rest i dont think that many people were bothered about but they did give us a much better squad to work with in terms of experienced players as backups. At times this season we have looked very threadbare on the bench.

They have both done a fine job in their times here so far, GON has the chance now to go on and build something.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.

But why did Nuno get so many pelters in his final season, for playing pragmatic football, when he lost all his goalscorers, just to keep us up??
Because rather too many, quite a few "Johnny come lately" types l suspect, seemed to believe that the squad was better than it was and Nuno was somehow holding them back. He was a victim of his own success.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I get why some people defend Lop as he did what he was paid to do in keeping us up. But, in his heart, he must be gutted to see us doing so much better than so many thought. It takes a lot of self belief to be a top flight manager and he must be thinking he could have got even more out of this group than GON who, after all, is a novice manager.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get why some people defend Lop as he did what he was paid to do in keeping us up. But, in his heart, he must be gutted to see us doing so much better than so many thought. It takes a lot of self belief to be a top flight manager and he must be thinking he could have got even more out of this group than GON who, after all, is a novice manager.

But I would ask the question as to whether Lopetegui would have got more out of this group of players. GaryO’Neil seems to have installed a good atmosphere in the dressing room, and the players work their socks off for him. I’m not sure Lopetegui could get any more out of these players, but of course we will never know. Lopetegui did a runner, leaving others to sort out his mess, which is what O’Neil has done.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But I would ask the question as to whether Lopetegui would have got more out of this group of players. GaryO’Neil seems to have installed a good atmosphere in the dressing room, and the players work their socks off for him. I’m not sure Lopetegui could get any more out of these players, but of course we will never know. Lopetegui did a runner, leaving others to sort out his mess, which is what O’Neil has done.
I agree with this. The commeraderi is good now and we don't have a manager constantly trying to pick a fight with the opposition dugout which was frankly embarrassing under Lop

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ye, agreed.They both did very good jobs with different challenges to overcome.

I think it also shows that we've been a side knocking on the door of the top 8-10 for over a calender year now, which is really, really positive.

It will be nice starting next season in less turbulent fashion (hopefully!!)

This is Wolverhampton Wanderers we are talking about, doing things in a straightforward manner is something we have not been renowned for, so I doubt it will happen now… :)

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's apples and pears tbh. JL had a specific job to do which he did. GON's job was to build on firm foundations, get us up the league and play better football, again something which he has done spectacularly. Both deserve great credit.
Gons job was to get 17th with no money, i assure you thats what he was told

stay in league with no money spent and no incomings

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Gons job was to get 17th with no money, i assure you thats what he was told

stay in league with no money spent and no incomings
Passed that test. We got 41 point last season. This we on 32. I think 3 wins we match the same. 15 game remain. Some respectful achievement

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's apples and pears tbh. JL had a specific job to do which he did. GON's job was to build on firm foundations, get us up the league and play better football, again something which he has done spectacularly. Both deserve great credit.
Apples and pears.

:cool:

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hardly think anyone can claim Lopetegui left us in a mess considering what he walked into - now that was a mess!
OK leaving a few days before the season is not ideal but the club have to take some responsibiity for that because they were involved in a stand off where they thought Lop would walk without needing to pay off his vast entourage. Lop earnt his money and deserved his pay off for services rendered.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hardly think anyone can claim Lopetegui left us in a mess considering what he walked into - now that was a mess!
OK leaving a few days before the season is not ideal but the club have to take some responsibiity for that because they were involved in a stand off where they thought Lop would walk without needing to pay off his vast entourage. Lop earnt his money and deserved his pay off for services rendered.

I think with Lopetegui, if he'd have turned round and said this wasn't for me due to funds etc he would have walked away a rich man and fans although disappointed would have understood,it was his behaviour from the end of the season he gave the impression he was angling for a bigger job the interview with Balague and Balague his mate toting him for the spurs job he gave the impression that he did not want to be here, then he turns around and says he's staying the leaves a few days before the season starts.

He hasn't painted himself in the best light with his actions in the past, how it ended at Sevilla, agreeing to join Madrid a few days before the world cup starts and how he agreed to take over at the start of fosuns reign then pulls out at the last minute to join spain.

I'm grateful for him keeping us up last year he did well it was his behaviour after which will always leave a sour taste with wolves fans.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When it comes to best value for money ......GON all day long for me .
To drop a club a few days before a season starts leaves a bitter taste .
LOP does win the top DOG award though ........delusions of grandeur .

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think with Lopetegui, if he'd have turned round and said this wasn't for me due to funds etc he would have walked away a rich man and fans although disappointed would have understood,it was his behaviour from the end of the season he gave the impression he was angling for a bigger job the interview with Balague and Balague his mate toting him for the spurs job he gave the impression that he did not want to be here, then he turns around and says he's staying the leaves a few days before the season starts.

He hasn't painted himself in the best light with his actions in the past, how it ended at Sevilla, agreeing to join Madrid a few days before the world cup starts and how he agreed to take over at the start of fosuns reign then pulls out at the last minute to join spain.

I'm grateful for him keeping us up last year he did well it was his behaviour after which will always leave a sour taste with wolves fans.
I think he probably was saying that behind the scenes but there was standoff between him and Fosun as in if he walked away then Fosun would be entitled to not pay him and his entourage off.

I think in the end Fosun blinked and agreed to let him go with a pay off because they realised that the club might get into unnecessary difficulties if Lopetegui just wanted to get out with a pay off. I'm not saying thats what happened but I just see it as a game of high stakes poker between the club and Lopetegui.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This for me sums up his attitude and what was wrong with it. Given the team environment GON has created really inspires the players to fight to the last and has made us so hard to beat, JL leaving has done us a favour. No way JL would have created a team spirit like this.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone ITK / guesstimate how much GON is on and how it compares to Lop?

I am guessing he is much cheaper but l wonder by how much?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Anyone ITK / guesstimate how much GON is on and how it compares to Lop?

I am guessing he is much cheaper but l wonder by how much?
Johnny Phillips said we offered lop and team 3x his Seville salary to persuade him to come I would estimate that he was on around 9-10m and GoN on 3m

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnny Phillips said we offered lop and team 3x his Seville salary to persuade him to come I would estimate that he was on around 9-10m and GoN on 3m
I may be wrong but l thought that l saw £8M quoted in articles relating to JL leaving. I reckon that GON is on £2-2.5M basic but a load of performance bonuses.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Gaz will be getting a nice big well earned rise at the end of the season.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
When it comes to best value for money ......GON all day long for me .
To drop a club a few days before a season starts leaves a bitter taste .
LOP does win the top DOG award though ........delusions of grandeur .
They knew he wasn't happy for months after moving the goalposts twice and he said he was going to go 2 weeks before the first game, he just agreed to stay on to prepare the team. Of course that's not ideal, but the circumstances that led to it have been done to death, many managers take over a club during a season which is effectively what happened.

Anyway Gary is doing a great job and is indeed much cheaper, so no choice or problem in giving him full backing.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing now is that we've got a clear squad bond and they obviously love each other and O'Neil. The characters we got in like Cunha, Dawson and Lemina are team players who want to win for the club, not their careers. Shifting out those who might have been a drag is also important. The character we've shown when going behind has been immense. Happy times ahead, probably bigger tests for O'Neil when we try to deal a bit, but you'd struggle to fault him so far.
Yes … the strength of their togetherness counts for an awful lot.

GON rightly deserves credit for his tactical nous … but behind the scenes him and his team are obviously doing something right regarding team bonding and camaraderie too.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Gaz will be getting a nice big well earned rise at the end of the season.
I have to say that unless he's on vastly more than l expect then he deserves it. Protects the club's interests on the event that others come sniffing too.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes … the strength of their togetherness counts for an awful lot.

GON rightly deserves credit for his tactical nous … but behind the scenes him and his team are obviously doing something right regarding team bonding and camaraderie too.
Sadly today he was thoroughly outtacticed.

Once Cunha went off we offered nothing.

Hopefully he learns from that.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Sadly today he was thoroughly outtacticed.

Once Cunha went off we offered nothing.

Hopefully he learns from that.
4 games
Wolves 8 Brentford 4
Hardly GoNs fault if we have no one to play up front not surprised the brain dead are blaming him though.
With hwang and Cunha playing it probably would have been a different result

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 games
Wolves 8 Brentford 4
Hardly GoNs fault if we have no one to play up front not surprised the brain dead are blaming him though.
With hwang and Cunha playing it probably would have been a different result
Maybe, but maybe not. Brentford were well disciplined and defended well.
"Brain dead" is not the way you should address fellow supporters and totally out of order in my view.

Back
Top Bottom