Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON in The Guardian

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for sharing this, a few points from me.

Where would we be but for VAR​
That is some 3 hour interview​
Lopetegui lost his appetite, what a loser haha​
Love his modesty​
Hate my initial reaction to him​
And finally, if you are not on board now, you never will be​

Last edited:

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
And a good appearance on Darren Fletcher's Friday Football Social on 5live this evening.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for sharing this, a few points from me.

Where would we be but for VAR​
That is some 3 hour interview​
Lopetegui lost his appetite, what a dick and what a loser haha​
Love his modesty​
Hate my initial reaction to him​
And finally, if you are not on board now, you never will be​
Couldn't agree more - especially the last two comments. I admit I was one of the biggest sceptics on his appointment even more so after the Ipswich game. There will still be the odd bump in the road but whether by luck or judgement we have appointed someone who has brought a fractured club back together big time. On Wednesday the last 15 minutes EVERY single wolves fan seemed to be roaring the boys on - noise was amazing.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While it is great that Gary O‘Neil has turned the good ship Wolverhampton Wanderers around, I hope all this positive publicity does not lead to other clubs coming in for him.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While Lopetegui prior to joining Wolves gave the appearance that he thought he was Jesus and grudgingly came to save us, Gary O Neil appears to be giving everything he has got, and some, his comments about his family and the difficulty in having balance also demonstrates he is stealing time from them to give to the Wolves, in the same way Nuno did, we are very fortunate to have him.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While it is great that Gary O‘Neil has turned the good ship Wolverhampton Wanderers around, I hope all this positive publicity does not lead to other clubs coming in for him.
There is that worry but we also seem to be getting a lot less big decisions go against us now. Coincidence or unconscious bias to towards the new media darling?

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is that worry but we also seem to be getting a lot less big decisions go against us now. Coincidence or unconscious bias to towards the new media darling?
As plain as the nose on your face.

:cool:

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
West Ham would be my biggest worry if Moyes goes at the end of the season.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When a manager is successful, they will inevitably attract attention from other clubs.
Far better the above than someone like Lage, who I don’t recall anyone coming in for. GON’s appointment for me is part of the wider success that has been evolving away from all things Portuguese.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you rather have a rubbish manager you want rid of, a meh manager who doesn't inspire, or a good manager envied by others, who might one day get snapped up elsewhere?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly, thanks for sharing this, a few points from me. Where would we be but for VAR. That is some 3 hour interview. Lopetegui lost his appetite, what a loser haha
That is simply the opinion of the Guardian writer in this article, it hasn't come from a source. Lop left because he didn't receive the backing he thought he was going to - it is not more complicated than that. Given that we have a good replacement and we are headed in the right direction, it really is high time we moved past this.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is simply the opinion of the Guardian writer in this article, it hasn't come from a source. Lop left because he didn't receive the backing he thought he was going to - it is not more complicated than that. Given that we have a good replacement and we are headed in the right direction, it really is high time we moved past this.
Sorry to be pedantic, but his loss of appetite was because of the lack of funds, so they aren't conflicting statements :)

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And what on here is not an opinion? I am sure people wish to move on but that is limited by the rewriting of history. Lop threw his toys out of the cot because he didn't get his own way, like a 4 year old.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lop was well paid to do a job for Wolves, no one actually knows what was promised and he was backed fairly heavily in January, with that backing he achieved our goals.

Thanks Julen, but I'm not losing any Sleep since you went. In fact I'm enjoying watching us again.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lop was well paid to do a job for Wolves, no one actually knows what was promised and he was backed fairly heavily in January, with that backing he achieved our goals.

Thanks Julen, but I'm not losing any Sleep since you went. In fact I'm enjoying watching us again.
I was very annoyed at the time but it’s worked out incredibly well for us.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
and i share that opinion.

i’d suggest you might want to move past it too.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
While Lopetegui prior to joining Wolves gave the appearance that he thought he was Jesus and grudgingly came to save us, Gary O Neil appears to be giving everything he has got, and some, his comments about his family and the difficulty in having balance also demonstrates he is stealing time from them to give to the Wolves, in the same way Nuno did, we are very fortunate to have him.
He has talked about the balance and his family quite a bit. Seems he is pushing himself to the edge of burnout but not over...or at least he's conscious of the possibility of going over.

The man has spent his whole life reflecting on how to get the best performance out of himself, and what's more he loves it. Competing with someone like that is very hard because he just keeps coming and doing the (effective) work.

That he pushes this hard and yet has players singing his praises for not overloading them is quite something.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s surely difficult to know what it would have been like if JL had stayed. We saw some functional football that put results before performances and which kept us up, which surely would have been his brief.

I am not knowledgeable about the style that his teams play so can’t say it would have been better or worse than this season.

On GON it could quite easily have turned out badly. How often do we see managers who ‘should’ do well, turn out badly? Or the opposite?

I think there is something to be said for being the right person in the right place at the right time. Howard Wilkinson, Claudio Raneri, Nuno, even Jackett and Turner.

It could well be that GON is just a fantastic coach and he will be brilliant wherever he goes, but if anyone thought that there wasn’t risk in his appointment due to his lack of experience l would suggest that they might need to reconsider.

I guess l am saying that outside of the very top coaches there is always a degree of fortune in appointments even if Hobbes does seem to know is rectal passage from his elbow.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see GON leaving us, certainly not for a Club in a similarish position to us. I think the Bournemouth sacking will have left big scars tbh and what he's done here so far is remarkable so he's comfortable and settled - why risk a move to another club and possibly face the Bournemouth scenario all over again?

LW1

Groupie
Reaction score
It's interesting thinking about where he is at the moment. Can't see a recent top 6 after him, Newcastle will want bigger name and wouldn't be vile. Only club with more clout than us therefore is west ham. Still think to prove himself as genuine up and coming manager he needs to get a side playing on front foot and, if he can do that, he becomes more attractive. I assume there will be a new contract this close season, I hope that he can make us more progressive, which would make him better than Nuno in my eyes. When he goes I hope he is poached because it will mean results will remain good. I also hope that we are already planning just in case!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s surely difficult to know what it would have been like if JL had stayed. We saw some functional football that put results before performances and which kept us up, which surely would have been his brief.

I am not knowledgeable about the style that his teams play so can’t say it would have been better or worse than this season.

On GON it could quite easily have turned out badly. How often do we see managers who ‘should’ do well, turn out badly? Or the opposite?

I think there is something to be said for being the right person in the right place at the right time. Howard Wilkinson, Claudio Raneri, Nuno, even Jackett and Turner.

It could well be that GON is just a fantastic coach and he will be brilliant wherever he goes, but if anyone thought that there wasn’t risk in his appointment due to his lack of experience l would suggest that they might need to reconsider.

I guess l am saying that outside of the very top coaches there is always a degree of fortune in appointments even if Hobbes does seem to know is rectal passage from his elbow.
I struggle to be objective with JL as I think he treated the club appallingly. However. credit where due, a very very capable manager.

GON has a rare gift in terms of getting people to like him but still do what he says, difficult with millionaire footballers. Look at RAN, on the verge of leaving as he wanted to go home and now one of our best players. Cunha looks a different beast, as does Hwang and even Neto.

We got very lucky with GON and very unlucky before that.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I struggle to be objective with JL as I think he treated the club appallingly. However. credit where due, a very very capable manager.

GON has a rare gift in terms of getting people to like him but still do what he says, difficult with millionaire footballers. Look at RAN, on the verge of leaving as he wanted to go home and now one of our best players. Cunha looks a different beast, as does Hwang and even Neto.

We got very lucky with GON and very unlucky before that.
GON's not only improved RAN but given him a complete personality transplant

He used to look completely disinterested but he's now one of the most exhuberant characters

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ooooops that’s done it ! Await the Manager of the Month effect !

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves by luck or judgement have got a good man who could be with us for 5 years or more . He must be supported and feel trusted and respected by Fosun . We have reached camp half way up the Premier League mountain . Now let’s gradually climb towards the top 6 over the next 5 years . Sensible man , sensible investment.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just give him a new, extended contract now!

Oh, his backroom staff as well.

Back
Top Bottom