Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON at Bournemouth

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't like Gary (as a manager). I don't see how he got the job and he's done nothing to convince me he's anything other than a jammy sod. Here's a wee look at his time at Bournemouth.

He managed 34 PL games last year (11 as caretaker, 23 as permanent boss). He amassed 36 points. W10 D6 L18. For 35. Against 55. Goal difference of - 20.

Won 5 at home and 5 away, drew 4 at home and 2 away, lost 8 at home and 10 away. Home for: 18. Home against: 25 (goal difference of - 7). Away for: 17. Away against: 30 (goal difference of - 13).

Only results of note were beating Liverpool once and Spurs once. And drawing twice with Newcastle. That's it.

Of the relegation rivals, he did manage to beat Leicester twice and took 4 points off Forest. And he took 4 points off us, of course. But he also lost twice to West Ham. And then he halved Leeds, Saints and Everton. So not sure what to make of that lot.

When he beat Forest away (September 3rd) he then didn't win away again until, yes, you guessed it, Wolves on February 18th. After the World Cup, it was TEN matches until he won again (8 league, 2 cups). That was, of course, Wolves. So he had the whole World Cup break to work on his side, aaaaaand made them worse (he won 4 before the WC and 6 after, in over twice as many matches.) He also lost the last 4 matches of the season.

Bournemouth had 8 points by this time last year (5 from GON, 3 from Parker.) When GON took over, they went on a 6 game unbeaten run, taking ten points (4 draws, 2 wins). Pretty good. New manager bounce maybe? Shame we never see that huh. But then they only won once again (Leeds) until February, as above.

So what the tell to make of all that?

I think if we're in for a season of ****, we may as well get a manager in with a defined and progressesive style that has a future. Does anyone, ANYONE, honestly think GON is taking us anywhere over the next year or two/three years? Except maybe the Championship.

Getting outplayed by Rob Edwards' Luton is just ridiculous.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I'm all up for backing a manager who for whatever reason is struggling at any given point, if I genuinely believe things will come good and they are the right man for the job.Ultimately all I ever want to do is to get behind the man who's leading out our boys.I am sure as fans, we all want to do that.

What I'm definitely not up for is blindly backing a bloke who clearly isn't capable of doing the job.What would be the point of that?

Make no mistake, this bloke is completely out of his depth.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't like Gary (as a manager). I don't see how he got the job and he's done nothing to convince me he's anything other than a jammy sod. Here's a wee look at his time at Bournemouth.

He managed 34 PL games last year (11 as caretaker, 23 as permanent boss). He amassed 36 points. W10 D6 L18. For 35. Against 55. Goal difference of - 20.

Won 5 at home and 5 away, drew 4 at home and 2 away, lost 8 at home and 10 away. Home for: 18. Home against: 25 (goal difference of - 7). Away for: 17. Away against: 30 (goal difference of - 13).

Only results of note were beating Liverpool once and Spurs once. And drawing twice with Newcastle. That's it.

Of the relegation rivals, he did manage to beat Leicester twice and took 4 points off Forest. And he took 4 points off us, of course. But he also lost twice to West Ham. And then he halved Leeds, Saints and Everton. So not sure what to make of that lot.

When he beat Forest away (September 3rd) he then didn't win away again until, yes, you guessed it, Wolves on February 18th. After the World Cup, it was TEN matches until he won again (8 league, 2 cups). That was, of course, Wolves. So he had the whole World Cup break to work on his side, aaaaaand made them worse (he won 4 before the WC and 6 after, in over twice as many matches.) He also lost the last 4 matches of the season.

Bournemouth had 8 points by this time last year (5 from GON, 3 from Parker.) When GON took over, they went on a 6 game unbeaten run, taking ten points (4 draws, 2 wins). Pretty good. New manager bounce maybe? Shame we never see that huh. But then they only won once again (Leeds) until February, as above.

So what the tell to make of all that?

I think if we're in for a season of ****, we may as well get a manager in with a defined and progressesive style that has a future. Does anyone, ANYONE, honestly think GON is taking us anywhere over the next year or two/three years? Except maybe the Championship.

Getting outplayed by Rob Edwards' Luton is just ridiculous.
He kept Bournemouth up, which was his remit and as things stand they are worse off since he left, points wise.

His comments post match yesterday that we got 41 points last season with big players that have now left infers he believes this squad isn’t as good so can expect less points unless they scrap.

He no doubt believes he is doing his best with a worse squad JL had who spent £millions to keep the team up. But not how it will motivate his squad by telling them they’re going to struggle to get more points than last season.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think part of this is due to the so called project . But who comes to us to say I am staying here for 5/6 seasons and want to win things ?. They don't, we are 1 or 2 seasons then get your move to a better club.

Profit over position unfortunately is the only project I see from Fosun .

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever comes in would need to bring in a full backroom staff. Start searching for manager replacements and use the break clause on O Neill.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He kept Bournemouth up, which was his remit and as things stand they are worse off since he left, points wise.

His comments post match yesterday that we got 41 points last season with big players that have now left infers he believes this squad isn’t as good so can expect less points unless they scrap.

He no doubt believes he is doing his best with a worse squad JL had who spent £millions to keep the team up. But not how it will motivate his squad by telling them they’re going to struggle to get more points than last season.
GO spent money and lots of it in Jan…….

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think part of this is due to the so called project . But who comes to us to say I am staying here for 5/6 seasons and want to win things ?. They don't, we are 1 or 2 seasons then get your move to a better club.

Profit over position unfortunately is the only project I see from Fosun .
Sadly, our current revenue leaves us little chance to improve enough to arrow the PL gap….that’s the reality for the majority of the PL.
Some profit is critical to try to narrow the distance between us and the rich clubs.

Regardless how they doing this season watch Brighton, West Ham and Newcastle drop down a bit next season. Anybody banging on the door of the top clubs seeking membership are most likely going to be disappointed.
( Unless Saudi money can offer wages the even City, Liverpool etc can’t match).

I suspect that FOSUN, ( like many other clubs ), know they can’t really compete over the long term.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He got the job because we seemed to be in a rush to appoint someone before the season started, and he was available. It was a very easy appointment for the club to make, cheap and no bother.
Cheap had nothing to do with it.
Wolves had just hired JL, along with his many assistants,…….he wasn’t cheap.
It was a sign of ambition. Wolves were and are looking for success.

I doubt that Gary was hired to save money.
I also doubt that JL skulked away with as much money as people think.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Well, it was a rushed appointment, with the club having no idea what to do when Julen left

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If he's inferring that, what exactly do you think JL was inferring ?

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, our current revenue leaves us little chance to improve enough to arrow the PL gap….that’s the reality for the majority of the PL.
Some profit is critical to try to narrow the distance between us and the rich clubs.

Regardless how they doing this season watch Brighton, West Ham and Newcastle drop down a bit next season. Anybody banging on the door of the top clubs seeking membership are most likely going to be disappointed.
( Unless Saudi money can offer wages the even City, Liverpool etc can’t match).

I suspect that FOSUN, ( like many other clubs ), know they can’t really compete over the long term.
That's your opinion but to appoint Gary O'Neil and then sign players that don't even improve your 11. That seems pointless to me .

You can say FFP is an issue well why has there been no stadium improvements then for years . Poor management and for me that isn't down to the FFP

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he's inferring that, what exactly do you think JL was inferring ?
Absolutely. Sadly, JL didn’t stick around to say ‘told you so’. But on paper are we a worse outfit than West Ham? Moyes has and is doing ok there with the hand he was given.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve been managing a PL club for 5 years now and their record is hardly the worst.
I kinda think they know what they’re doing…..all can do is keep the faith.
If that’s true why are they repeating the mistake of last year by going into a new season with a coach who’s clearly not good enough?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve been managing a PL club for 5 years now and their record is hardly the worst.
I kinda think they know what they’re doing…..all can do is keep the faith.
For picking managers it is bloody useless……

Nuno is the only one universally accepted as a success out of all of them.

I add JL to the list for keeping us up, but the rest of their managerial appointments have been bloody inept!

Also their track record of player transfer and transfer fees for players…… that weren’t from the championship winning starting 11 is woeful too

Semedo - never worth 25m+
Guedes - overpaid
Cunha - overpaid
Silva - overpaid
Collins - pedantic choice, but he showed very little, lucky to make a profit at all and from his showings at Brentford they won’t break even……
Cutrone - bombed!
Trincao - massive waste of transfer fee and wages
William Jose - loan, but fees were attached
Jesus Vallejo - loan fee, so bad we sent him back!
Phil Ofosu-Ayeh - waste of fee and wages as never fit
Olah John - waste
Prince oniangue - waste
Joao Texeira - waste

Then add on their yearly price increase for ticket prices, when the product is getting worse and gas lighting fans into saying we didn’t pay enough so pay more to get more on the pitch…… then Pinocchio ahi says in his letter “like being a newly promoted team” is who this season is being seen and should be treated….. ok, so what lies and pretence where the record for the league in %age ticket prices for? Or the only club to do five years of successive ticket price increases?

Or that they haven’t even had the decency to put a penny of our increased tickets into improving our match day experience or putting even a lick of paint on the place! It is looking so tired and becoming run down in areas of the ground!

Sorry but fosun may have given three good years on the pitch, but their running of this club and managing our money has been a bloody joke for a fair while now!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He kept Bournemouth up, and look at their start to the season. No wins in 6 games, so Bournemouth are doing worse than they were under Gary O’Neil.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got a completely different set of tools to work with here.

Saturday aside, there have been some promising signs. As I keep saying, how about we give it more than a month before we start expecting results from his coaching?

Are we going to give him any credit for getting the best out of Neto and Hwang? Or is that just pure luck?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In which case why a three year contract??? That's the scary bit even given potential break clauses.
PR…… appearances are everything!

Shows after a number of short term stints for managers that at least they see him as “long term” for stability.

If it wasn’t so obvious it wouldn’t be so funny

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PR…… appearances are everything!

Shows after a number of short term stints for managers that at least they see him as “long term” for stability.

If it wasn’t so obvious it wouldn’t be so funny
Sounds about right, thinking about it.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds about right, thinking about it.
It is like they time big % off sales in the shop
When pressure on the club is going up, like the one in the build up to the Luton game.

Check your emails and look at the timing of big sales and offers to the closeness of bad results…….

It is hilarious!!! They genuinely think the fans are stupid cash cows who can have their attentions swayed by a few quid off in the shop to take the heat off themselves……

even sadder that people fall for these cynical and emotionally manipulative sales tactics…..

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He kept Bournemouth up, and look at their start to the season. No wins in 6 games, so Bournemouth are doing worse than they were under Gary O’Neil.
They've actually got 3 more points than they got from the same fixtures last season so they are doing better in comparative terms.

By contrast, Wolves under O'Neil already have 5 fewer points from the same fixtures, so an average of 0.83 fewer points per game. That's the worst trend after 6 games of all 17 clubs who were in the division last year. Admittedly, it's a very small sample size on both fronts but the trend so far is positive for Bournemouth in replacing O'Neil and negative for Wolves from hiring him.

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GO was definitely hired to save money…..

His salary will be pennies on the pound in comparison to JL and other high level coaches, he doesn’t even have a coaching staff when first hired (massive red flag) and the team being assembled will cost peanuts compared to an experienced coaching team.

Then the savings on transfers……. GO won’t ask for higher value players, he will be happy with what he is given. A better more established manager has the gravitas and confidence to not ask for what they want, but actually tell the owners what they want and need and their targets will cost more than Cunha.

I doubt in a million years GO last year and this year asks for a player in the Cunha price bracket.

It is also the cheaper cost saving option as his severance when sacked will be tiny compared to a proper manager.

Everything about this appointment is shopping in Aldi when with JL you need to shop much higher brow and it is more expensive to keep JL happy than GO who being the work experience level person is like a competition winner being in this post so won’t upset the boat and will take what ever he is given with no questions.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's got a completely different set of tools to work with here.

Saturday aside, there have been some promising signs. As I keep saying, how about we give it more than a month before we start expecting results from his coaching?

Are we going to give him any credit for getting the best out of Neto and Hwang? Or is that just pure luck?
Because he got his best results, by a mile, when he took over from Parker. That is analogous to him taking over from JL. When he did have time to coach them over the WC break, they got worse!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because he got his best results, by a mile, when he took over from Parker. That is analogous to him taking over from JL. When he did have time to coach them over the WC break, they got worse!
He was nearly sacked in the feb because of a terrible run of performances not just because of the results according to their chairman…..

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can I again suggest posters have a look at the 25 min vid Dazzling Dave does with the B'mouth fan discussing GON's performance as their manager. It's very illuminating and scarily what he says about GON's failings there seem to be reappearing here.
The vid can be seen on the GON Tactics thread Pg 50, post 1,971.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GO was definitely hired to save money…..

His salary will be pennies on the pound in comparison to JL and other high level coaches, he doesn’t even have a coaching staff when first hired (massive red flag) and the team being assembled will cost peanuts compared to an experienced coaching team.

Then the savings on transfers……. GO won’t ask for higher value players, he will be happy with what he is given. A better more established manager has the gravitas and confidence to not ask for what they want, but actually tell the owners what they want and need and their targets will cost more than Cunha.

I doubt in a million years GO last year and this year asks for a player in the Cunha price bracket.

It is also the cheaper cost saving option as his severance when sacked will be tiny compared to a proper manager.

Everything about this appointment is shopping in Aldi when with JL you need to shop much higher brow and it is more expensive to keep JL happy than GO who being the work experience level person is like a competition winner being in this post so won’t upset the boat and will take what ever he is given with no questions.
I stopped reading at your first line.
You do not know that Gary was “definitely hired to save money”.

Back
Top Bottom