Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON: ‘No excuses’

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both of your points are incorrect. He never said that about the Utd game, all he said was it wasn’t ideal and he’d been able to implement some basic stuff, the Utd game wasn’t a week ago and they would of only trained Thursday and Friday this week probably. So all in all they’ve had 5 or 6 days together and are 5 coaches down! Don’t forget we had 8 under the coward and we’ve now got 3 including the manager.
They would have had at least 4/5 on pitch sessions plus 3/4 video sessions between Utd and Brighton. Each training session they come in for is at minimum half a day.

He had many more than ample opportunities to coach this last week than you think.

Semi pro teams train more sessions a week than you said……..

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We fell apart after half time, that's down to O'Neil, that would never of happened under lopetegui, another thing that wouldn't have happened is Nunes getting sent off, O'Neil doesn't have the same authority as lop. He looked like a little boy lost in his interview after.
In fairness nunes got shown a red (yes rescinded) last season when he was a sub.

He has an over aggressive brain fart in him that lad

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still ponder this. If my memory isn’t totally decrepit, Nuno added a lot of defenders, an AM in Vitinha and a young striker. Vitinha hardly got a kick and Silva was a rabbit in headlights. So it didn’t seem to me the plan of a manager looking to change style. Unless, of course, Nuno was just given the players.

If he was just given the players, then the rest of that season makes more sense.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"We are very early in the process; we knew there would be a lot of things to fix. There wouldn't have been a change if things were going well."

Saying Lop got sacked for on field performances. This guy is a clown, unfortunately.
That is a scripted NPC response if I ever saw one. Might be worth researching the club you are working for going in mate, and the circumstances that led to your predecessors departure, rather than coming off as pig ignorant and obviously deflecting. There is a lot of things to fix, but the vast majority of it is off the pitch.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They would have had at least 4/5 on pitch sessions plus 3/4 video sessions between Utd and Brighton. Each training session they come in for is at minimum half a day.

He had many more than ample opportunities to coach this last week than you think.

Semi pro teams train more sessions a week than you said……..
We played Monday, Tuesday would of been a day off, Wednesday stretches, Thursday/Friday on the grass. That’s come from an employee unless you know better

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played Monday, Tuesday would have been a day off, Wednesday stretches, Thursday/Friday on the grass. That’s come from an employee unless you know better
I dont, I based my week description of what I had to deal with and saw when I was working at league 1 and championship clubs.

Based on what you said, they are training less than some championship teams and non league teams! Hashtag United do two x two hours a week and they are part time!!!!

That is really poor if true no wonder they looked so undercooked!!!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quickly distancing himself from how bad we are at both ends of the pitch, despite playing some decent stuff in between. In a kind of ‘look at the mess they left me with’ kind of way! Bless.
He used the “it’s them” when bad and “it’s me” when good tactic that the clown from Southampton used last season when talking about performances!!!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He used the “it’s them” when bad and “it’s me” when good tactic that the clown from Southampton used last season when talking about performances!!!
I am starting to understand why Nuno would just say the same line every time..

I am not keen on his press conferences.. he does seem to say stuff like; it’s not about him it’s the players and then follow up immediately with a little pat on his own back.

Maybe a sign of insecurity.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am starting to understand why Nuno would just say the same line every time..

I am not keen on his press conferences.. he does seem to say stuff like; it’s not about him it’s the players and then follow up immediately with a little pat on his own back.

Maybe a sign of insecurity.
A sign of deflection of bad review or opinion from others to protect the ego of the person making those comments is the accepted psychological theory behind doing that.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
After 5 games win lose or draw, we will have a good idea of what GON is about. Whether he is hopeless or really does have something about him.
After 10 we will know for sure. I’m reserving judgement until those milestones have been reached. Time will tell.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we're back to the same as we saw vs United when we face Everton then I think most can more easily put yesterday to bed as a bad day at the office.
However if we see no improvement or GON suddenly retreats to the way he setup Bournemouth, then I think some might (rightly) think the United game was down to Lopeteguis work.

Also I do understand GON need time to make his mark on the team. But wasn't part of the explainatiom for hiring him that he wouldn't change too much and could build on Lopeteguis work?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After 5 games win lose or draw, we will have a good idea of what GON is about. Whether he is hopeless or really does have something about him.
After 10 we will know for sure. I’m reserving judgement until those milestones have been reached. Time will tell.

It's not his team, though is it? He's inherited all of them. And that will most likely be the same after 10 games.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We fell apart after half time, that's down to O'Neil, that would never of happened under lopetegui, another thing that wouldn't have happened is Nunes getting sent off, O'Neil doesn't have the same authority as lop. He looked like a little boy lost in his interview after.
We fell apart in the first 15 minutes of both halfs at the Amex not that long ago. Lopetegui was manager then.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We fell apart in the first 15 minutes of both halfs at the Amex not that long ago. Lopetegui was manager then.
For me, that just shows how observant Brightons coaching staff are compared to ours.. they have them well prepared for our weaknesses from the off, pick up on things in the first half, change, and then go after us right after the break.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah we didn't have any heavy defeats after going a couple of goals down last season....
Conceded 3 in 20 mins or less to Brighton and Arsenal and managed to concede 4 to a **** Leeds side at home.

It’s almost like it’s the players not the manager.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conceded 3 in 20 mins or less to Brighton and Arsenal and managed to concede 4 to a **** Leeds side at home.

It’s almost like it’s the players not the manager.
The best part is when people say we have a good squad.

Erm, on what planet?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly baffles me.

We had posters last November saying the squad was good enough for the top eight and the only problem was the manager. Unbelievable.

After the Rennes friendly some were predicting Europe…
And yet our form last season, once we changed the coach, was top half.. top half is a stretch maybe this year, but I am one of those who believes we definitely have a better squad than the likes of Brentford for example, who will be close to top half.. but they have consistency in the coaching team and know how to get the most out of players for their way of playing.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And yet our form last season, once we changed the coach, was top half.. top half is a stretch maybe this year, but I am one of those who believes we definitely have a better squad than the likes of Brentford for example, who will be close to top half.. but they have consistency in the coaching team and know how to get the most out of players for their way of playing.
The results were midtable, the performances weren’t.
We’ve “lost” Podence who popped up with goals that won several points, Adama who scored the winner against Spurs and Neves who was our best player.
Our central defender and centre forward options aren’t great are they?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve “lost” Podence who popped up with goals that won several points, Adama who scored the winner against Spurs and Neves who was our best player.
I remain optimistic about the players at our disposal, I just have little confidence in our coaching setup currently and the squad is a little light.

With time, I guess we will see, but I expect many of our starting line up to have good careers ahead.. and I am not disappointed about any of the players leaving.. maybe a sad nostalgia.. but it felt like the right time for all of them.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loppy basically said “**** this squad, it’s not good enough, I’m not going to work with it”.

So why are some people expecting O’Neil to do so much with it??

Brighton battered us 4 months ago, we’ve since lost players and bought in no one. I’m scratching my head what folk thought would happen yesterday to be honest.

He’s had 2 games and we’ve actually played pretty well for large parts of those 180 minutes.

It’s not the managers fault Sa is like he is, Cunha misses sitters and VAR failed to give an obvious penalty. It’s not the managers fault the club have neglected the centre forward position for 4 years.

People want him out already, that’s fine but who do they really think will come in? An elite manager? Tried that and he didn’t want to know.

Actually think it’s quite sad that some supporters are picking apart his press conference trying to start a character assassination.
The team were on mid table form most of last season and had excellent home form. We started badly because we had an idiot for a manager. Yes we have deficiencies but we've got a matching first 13-14 vs last season other than neves, or close enough.

This whole thing about blaming the squad is wrong. We did fine under a decent manager, and we did badly under a rubbish one. What we don't have is a special player (striker) who can dig a poor manager out (as apparently happened at bournemouth last season fwiw).

A good manager has us midtable, end of. We just aren't that bad (or that good).

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We also had no centre forward and endless awful var decisions. We're a midtable squad.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We also had no centre forward and endless awful var decisions. We're a midtable squad.
The trouble is a mid-table squad is only ever a few injuries and suspensions, never mind bad boardroom decisions, away from being a relegation threatened squad. I'd say we'll finish above Luton and Sheff U, after that I don't think I could confidently name anyone. Having said that I'll confess I left OT feeling confident. Can it all have really gone wrong so fast?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The trouble is a mid-table squad is only ever a few injuries and suspensions, never mind bad boardroom decisions, away from being a relegation threatened squad. I'd say we'll finish above Luton and Sheff U, after that I don't think I could confidently name anyone. Having said that I'll confess I left OT feeling confident. Can it all have really gone wrong so fast?
Agree with everything here. All bottom half teams have the injury issue though.

My one hope is yesterday's mess causes a rethink within our management team. Everton and Palace will be interesting.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We lost 5 and 6 nil under Lopetegui literally four months ago!!!!

We also had the worst disciplinary record in the prem last season ffs. You didn't think this through at all.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with everything here. All bottom half teams have the injury issue though.

My one hope is yesterday's mess causes a rethink within our management team. Everton and Palace will be interesting.
Yes…..I’m hoping that Gary is a fast learner and sets the team up better for the next game.

and let’s not forget that many football fans around the world thought that Pep’s selection and lineup vs Chelsea in the European final was stupid……no coaches are infallible.

Let’s give Gary a few more games, ( not like we have any choice).

bigwolf

Reaction score
Does anyone really think he will be here by the end of November?

Three more defeats to Everton, Palace and Liverpool and that Luton game could be his last.

Wonder how many managers have been given the boot by end of Sept.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone really think he will be here by the end of November?

Three more defeats to Everton, Palace and Liverpool and that Luton game could be his last.

Wonder how many managers have been given the boot by end of Sept.
Yes..
He'll be here..
Simply for the fact that they can't afford to replace him.
If they do sack him I expect them hand the reigns to Steve Davis again.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes..
He'll be here..
Simply for the fact that they can't afford to replace him.
If they do sack him I expect them hand the reigns to Steve Davis again.
I imagine there are clauses built into his contract that allow us to get rid of him for a month's pay. Same with his staff.

Hiring new a manager could be tricky though.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gentle reminder - bournemouth fans said look out for unfathomable tactics, odd subs, and bizarre post match interviews.

3/3 today
To be fair to GON, I don’t think Bournemouth fans have any right to be anything other than completely grateful and positive towards him. The fact they have even said that is just weird.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to GON, I don’t think Bournemouth fans have any right to be anything other than completely grateful and positive towards him. The fact they have even said that is just weird.
Yet endless Bournemouth fans have said that and the club fired him. That tells you everything you need to know. It's always different when you watch your own club week in week out and even the owners thought the same. They were thankful but thought he got lucky and actually wasn't very good.

Reactions: Ned

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is staggering is that GON highlighted that they were great on the transition and that’s what they did. So he knows what they’re going to do but he doesn’t set the team up to counter it or rather sends them out half hearted and shambling for a 2nd half mauling

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We lost 5 and 6 nil under Lopetegui literally four months ago!!!! We also had the worst disciplinary record in the prem last season ffs. You didn't think this through at all.
I'd recommend reading @Adrian_Monk 's astute analysis of the Brighton and Arsenal batterings. Once it was confirmed we were safe, Lopetegui about-faced tactically from the low block that ground out consistent 1-0 type results to suddenly pushing the full backs up very high. In other words, he foisted his preferred tactics from his Sevilla days onto the current group to see how they'd cope.

Arguably, he did this to send a message to Fosun that the current group of players aren't good enough to affect swashbuckling football. When Wolves managers have tried to transition to a more expansive style, we've been invariably found wanting. As good as they are, there is simply no way Lopetegui with his best tactical cap on allows three goals in nine minutes to be shipped at home to Brighton. O'Neill is truly green about the gills.

Back
Top Bottom