Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON: ‘No excuses’

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think JL was a coward to quit and doesn’t deserve the ‘elite’ coach tag but you’re probably right in just who is the difficult one to work with at Wolves. I believe JL would have wanted free reign to bring in whoever whereas Jeff is very much in the pocket of Mendes and his recommended players. When JL arrived I honestly thought he would have the freedom to choose players but now think the power struggle that resulted was inevitable really.

Yes and a similar power struggle probably emerged with Nuno, too. He'd said that we would transform our style, but wasn't given the resources to realistically achieve it. It implies we can never have a genuine top manager as none of them would agree to work under these constraints. Only inexperienced and/or short term merceneries (Zenga).

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think JL was a coward to quit and doesn’t deserve the ‘elite’ coach tag but you’re probably right in just who is the difficult one to work with at Wolves. I believe JL would have wanted free rein to bring in whoever whereas Jeff is very much in the pocket of Mendes and his recommended players. When JL arrived I honestly thought he would have the freedom to choose players but now think the power struggle that resulted was inevitable really.
Jl wasn’t a coward…..

He fought and had to go public to put pressure on the club to honour their agreement to improve the squad.

He has a reputation and why should
He stick around and risk that for amateur hour shi? As he risked his reputation taking over the club and managing a squad that looked and played like relegation certs. No “coward” takes us on before the World Cup break.

If you hit all your KPI’s, achieved the main business target then had everything not delivered to improve and kick on, would you stay? Would you stay if it was clear you were being lied to about finances and other things?

I know I wouldn’t

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We fell apart after half time, that's down to O'Neil, that would never of happened under lopetegui, another thing that wouldn't have happened is Nunes getting sent off, O'Neil doesn't have the same authority as lop. He looked like a little boy lost in his interview after.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, but it wasn't for on field performances, was it? We've now lost our best manager for 40 years and potentially the next best after him, both for nothing to do with on field performance. Isn't that odd? Every previous manager was sacked for poor results. All this talk about JL being "difficult". The same was said about Nuno after he left. Have to wonder who really is "difficult to work with" here.
Nuno’s sacking wasn’t anything to do with on field performances? That’s nonsense. Nuno’s situation was nothing like Lopetegui’s, don’t try and conflate the two.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We fell apart after half time, that's down to O'Neil, that would never of happened under lopetegui, another thing that wouldn't have happened is Nunes getting sent off, O'Neil doesn't have the same authority as lop. He looked like a little boy lost in his interview after.
True. Most of our capitulations under Lopetegui happened in the first half.. if that’s any better.

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
'They fell apart at half time' and blaming GON for the capitulation. They're professional football players who get paid a lot of money.
Losing players and switching off is down to them. Blaming GON for Nunes second yellow .... what a load of tosh. Its down to the individual for losing their self control. That what I would expect from an U10 player at a Sunday league game.

These players yesterday need to do the basics right especially Nunes who didn't track back for a player he should have stopped.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is the off a cliff drop in standards from Monday to yesterday that has caused the rapid change in opinion. The fact with one week of leadership he caused that big a drop
Off and played into every major known strength of the best counter attack team was laughable. Something Bournemouth fans said he had a habit of doing.

He couldn’t have done or made any meaningful team changes for United, it was way more down to JL and pre-season than anything GON could Have done.

He definitely had ample time to review things and make tweaks for brighton and we were worse by a big way defensively and in terms of discipline and played into their hands which he didn’t change or replace bad performers till too late.

His comments after the game worry me too….. they are those of a manager who is a media personality and great at sound clips and lack a real understanding of what happened and also respect to the person who took over from whose boots he isn’t good enough to lace up…..

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is the off a cliff drop in standards from Monday to yesterday that has caused the rapid change in opinion. The fact with one week of leadership he caused that big a drop
Off and played into every major known strength of the best counter attack team was laughable. Something Bournemouth fans said he had a habit of doing.

He couldn’t have done or made any meaningful team changes for United, it was way more down to JL and pre-season than anything GON could Have done.

He definitely had ample time to review things and make tweaks for brighton and we were worse by a big way defensively and in terms of discipline and played into their hands which he didn’t change or replace bad performers till too late.

His comments after the game worry me too….. they are those of a manager who is a media personality and great at sound clips and lack a real understanding of what happened and also respect to the person who took over from whose boots he isn’t good enough to lace up…..
I don’t think that’s fair. First half yesterday, I think it was pretty even, with only the skill of Mitoma separating the teams. Second half was a totally different story, right from the off. I had not seen the video of them coming out until today, but having seen that, and the way we played second half, I have to think something happened at HT to cause the team to lose its composure. As pointed out by others, Neto in particular looked upset, and Sa gave him a friendly pat on his shoulder, so whether it was something specific to him, or he was particularly affected, I’m not sure. But it looks like something did happen at HT to upset the team.

My original reply to your post on the other thread.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry @Sussex I deleted it to make a few changes to errors I didn’t see till after…..

So it wasn’t a double post, just a repost edit lol

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because it is his job to motivate, correct any tactical issues from the first half.

Examples of What he needed to discuss, but not full list;

the missed chances, - so motivation to keep trying

Constant and too easy attacks down our right back channel - tactical/player switch

Movement in final third - positive lads, keep it up

And then when they crossed the white wash for the second half it is his job to react, make adjustments and chsnges based on what the other coach does.

Conceding three goals in ten mins with no reply, is massively down to the manager when you look at easily we were carved open.

How big a drop off in performance from first half to second half, is significantly down to him as he had them for 15 mins…..

Then the fact he left neto and semedo on when both played woefully for 90 mins is bad too.

His lack of tactical knowledge, inability to change things and poor substitutions (too late on Monday too) were exposed massively by the excellent brighton manager. All those things were told to us by Bournemouth fans and some of us on here in the day before and of his appointment.

The job, prem football and wolves as a club are all too big for this novice…. He hasn’t proven anything and the situation we are in due to Jeff and fosun needs an experienced head and not a managerial new born!!!
And you’ve got absolute no idea on whether that’s exactly what he said or not.
Wolves are too big? Really. Where not a big player in this league I’m afraid to say and maybe the sooner some accept that the better it’ll be and it may eliminate a load of unnecessary negativity.
He did a better job than lop did.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno’s sacking wasn’t anything to do with on field performances? That’s nonsense. Nuno’s situation was nothing like Lopetegui’s, don’t try and conflate the two.

Sorry, I don't understand? Are you saying that Nuno was sacked because of results? He achieved the best performances by a newly promoted club this century. One bad season, the Covid season, when we finished 13th, doesn't negate that. If he was sacked for results, the owners are insane. He left for "other" reasons, that have never really been made clear.

And I do believe their are similarities between the two. The owners, for example. Exactly the same people. And in both cases, replaced by a manager who looks distinctly inexperienced for the job.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Loppy basically said “**** this squad, it’s not good enough, I’m not going to work with it”.

So why are some people expecting O’Neil to do so much with it??

Brighton battered us 4 months ago, we’ve since lost players and bought in no one. I’m scratching my head what folk thought would happen yesterday to be honest.

He’s had 2 games and we’ve actually played pretty well for large parts of those 180 minutes.

It’s not the managers fault Sa is like he is, Cunha misses sitters and VAR failed to give an obvious penalty. It’s not the managers fault the club have neglected the centre forward position for 4 years.

People want him out already, that’s fine but who do they really think will come in? An elite manager? Tried that and he didn’t want to know.

Actually think it’s quite sad that some supporters are picking apart his press conference trying to start a character assassination.
By common concensus though (not always reliable granted) the squad isn't good enough, but the best XI is pretty solid.

It's not his all his fault by any means, if we'd lost 1-4 in a way that just reflected their better finishing then fair enough. In his fantasy world the fact that we've had two xG draws makes it OK.

However that video of them coming out from half time like they'd already lost. The terrible tactics after half time. His stupid comment about how we wouldn't be changing managers if there weren't problems to solve. The fact that he wants to play open 2v2 xG football when that'll mean losing every week until we buy a striker (which we won't) all says he's already struggling.

I know it sounds like post-defeat hyperbole, but I'm honestly worrying that he's struggling in the changing room already. This is the exact problem people predicted with good players used to working with top coaches.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are too big? Really. Where not a big player in this league I’m afraid to say and maybe the sooner some accept that the better it’ll be and it may eliminate a load of unnecessary negativity.
We are too big for a manager with 8 months of experience! If you don’t think we are….. you have a low opinion of our club and its history……

I know I don’t know what he said…. Hence why I offered thought and option that was clearly presented as such….

What he said at half time was clearly motivational and inspiring as we conceded three goals in ten mins hahaha

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton who were without caecedo and world cup winner macalister yesterday.

Also when we played brighton we were on the beach and safe and they were playing for Europe.

Cannot compare one as doing better than the other, when the scenario, stages of the season and squads are polar opposites and different.

DJW

Reaction score
GONs lack of Gravitas is what concerns me. I can't imagine the players responding to a half time rollicking from a manager who has done nothing of note in his managerial career. The way they looked, ambling out for the second half kind of backs this up.
To give him 3 years! Dear God, who thought that was a good idea. I imagine he couldn't believe his luck!
A win next week could change things, or delay the inevitable?

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GONs lack of Gravitas is what concerns me. I can't imagine the players responding to a half time rollicking from a manager who has done nothing of note in his managerial career. The way they looked, ambling out for the second half kind of backs this up.
To give him 3 years! Dear God, who thought that was a good idea. I imagine he couldn't believe his luck!
A win next week could change things, or delay the inevitable?
The inevitable? He’s had 4/5 days in total on the training ground. Honestly if this is your genuine opinion of the situation then I’m done.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jl wasn’t a coward…..

He fought and had to go public to put pressure on the club to honour their agreement to improve the squad.

He has a reputation and why should
He stick around and risk that for amateur hour shi? As he risked his reputation taking over the club and managing a squad that looked and played like relegation certs. No “coward” takes us on before the World Cup break.

If you hit all your KPI’s, achieved the main business target then had everything not delivered to improve and kick on, would you stay? Would you stay if it was clear you were being lied to about finances and other things?

I know I wouldn’t
I understand where you’re coming from but to leave on the eve of the season starting after having had money in January along with his moaning and stand off demeanour just sums him up. No way is Shi innocent but I expected better from an ‘elite’ coach.

DJW

Reaction score
The inevitable? He’s had 4/5 days in total on the training ground. Honestly if this is your genuine opinion of the situation then I’m done.
I'm asking the question you clown, dear God.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We slate GON when he joins, then apology thread when we play well against Man U, and now write him off again !

Embarassing really. Noses put out of joint that we didn't get a name manager.
In the meantime we have played better in the first two games than 90% of the turgid rubbish JL served up. And when we took a beating under JL, it was put down to a bad day at the office.

I think that we'll be fine under GON. If anything people should be having a go at Nunes for his idiotic behaviour at the end.
Yes we did play well at OT, but was that down to Gary O'Neil's few days with the squad, or the result of a summers pre-season training which allowed coaching team and players the time and space to work on performance and style of play rather than having to spend the first five months fire fighting in a relegation scrap?

As for Nunes, no more idiotic than their centre backs who got involved. Handbags that's all it was, but your modern day official struggle to deal with those situations and take the easy option by dishing out cards.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am eternally grateful (sarcasm mode off) that Jeff decided to shop for our new manager at Poundland and came back with a cheap yes man. His tactics today were appalling and I genuinely don’t think we can expect any better - it’s going to be a long hard season.
Let’s not kid ourselves, if we’d scored during that spell of dominance in the first half, I think we’d have ripped them a new one. Brighton were all over the place. However, it’s the lack of appreciation of the changing tides of the game that was concerning to me. Leaving huge holes in midfield with a back line too high, when one down showed a naivety on the players, Kilman as captain and GON as head coach. But to then come out for the second half and it’s still the same is entirely on GON. I’m not ready to crucify him yet but I’m off to get the wood…

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah we didn't have any heavy defeats after going a couple of goals down last season....

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand where you’re coming from but to leave on the eve of the season starting after having had money in January along with his moaning and stand off demeanour just sums him up. No way is Shi innocent but I expected better from an ‘elite’ coach.
I expect better too….. he didn’t handle it well. So we are in total agreement there.

But he has shown a light and let many know just how badly run the club is and how incompetent Jeff shi is…..

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I expect better too….. he didn’t handle it well. So we are in total agreement there.

But he has shown a light and let many know just how badly run the club is and how incompetent Jeff shi is…..
Can’t disagree with that mate

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep.. that’s the real picture. He acted poorly and let us down at a critical time, but he has also highlighted a slightly shambolic regime behind-the-scenes. Johnny Phillips seemed a confident to also confirm this.

It’s crap for Wolves either way you look at it.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm asking the question you clown, dear God.
Grow up, I presume you’re a grown man and reverting to name calling is very immature.
The only inevitable with this squad is a relegation battle irrelevant of who the manager is, so maybe some positivity around the place rather than waiting for any excuse to criticise the club may be beneficial, and that’s not aimed at you but far too many wolves ‘supporters’

Reaction score
Let’s not kid ourselves, if we’d scored during that spell of dominance in the first half, I think we’d have ripped them a new one. Brighton were all over the place. However, it’s the lack of appreciation of the changing tides of the game that was concerning to me. Leaving huge holes in midfield with a back line too high, when one down showed a naivety on the players, Kilman as captain and GON as head coach. But to then come out for the second half and it’s still the same is entirely on GON. I’m not ready to crucify him yet but I’m off to get the wood…
Sorry disagree about us ripping Brighton a new one that was never going to happen they’re a MUCH better side than us and they were yesterday. But you’re right the 2nd half appalling performance was 100% down to GON he’s an English Bruno Lage and only here because he’s cheap and a yes man - he’s way out of his depth.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite thing was the build up to United was I haven’t had time to work with the players I haven’t had time to put any of my ideas in
Played well narrowly lost
Week later to do just that and this is what we get
I never been one to hound managers but I’ve had enough already soon as Gary PE goes the better

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grow up, I presume you’re a grown man and reverting to name calling is very immature.
The only inevitable with this squad is a relegation battle irrelevant of who the manager is, so maybe some positivity around the place rather than waiting for any excuse to criticise the club may be beneficial, and that’s not aimed at you but far too many wolves ‘supporters’
Sorry but to do “supporters” is so demeaning and dismissive!

You do realise to blindly follow and not question or ask for better and slag off and put others down is also seen as “toxic/bad fandom”

In sport the best teams get better and find those extra all important inches by being ruthless and questioning and pushing for better!

Accepting low standards and saying it is being “supportive” actually doesn’t help! It is these fans who Jeff has said fosun focus on in a previous interview!! So these fans are actually the ones letting the fan base down as Jeff and fosun cling to those posts for dear life and ignore the rest…..

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
'They fell apart at half time' and blaming GON for the capitulation. They're professional football players who get paid a lot of money.
Losing players and switching off is down to them. Blaming GON for Nunes second yellow .... what a load of tosh. Its down to the individual for losing their self control. That what I would expect from an U10 player at a Sunday league game.

These players yesterday need to do the basics right especially Nunes who didn't track back for a player he should have stopped.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Can I ask if you watched the game. There’s no way on gods earth we would of ripped Brighton a new one. Ridiculous comment

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite thing was the build up to United was I haven’t had time to work with the players I haven’t had time to put any of my ideas in
Played well narrowly lost
Week later to do just that and this is what we get
I never been one to hound managers but I’ve had enough already soon as Gary PE goes the better
Both of your points are incorrect. He never said that about the Utd game, all he said was it wasn’t ideal and he’d been able to implement some basic stuff, the Utd game wasn’t a week ago and they would of only trained Thursday and Friday this week probably. So all in all they’ve had 5 or 6 days together and are 5 coaches down! Don’t forget we had 8 under the coward and we’ve now got 3 including the manager.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wow mate don’t post such common sense it’s not welcome on here after a loss.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two extremes so far under GON. A very good and unlucky performance at Old Trafford and a truely diabolical performance at Molineux.

We have also had two extreme performances. At Old Trafford probably Semedo's best ever performance in a Wolves shirt followed by a return to his standard awful performance against Brighton.

In the Brighton performance we just couldnt cope with the high press in the first half. OK yes we created two good chances but they were well against the run of play. 2nd half was cringe. The only reason the last 30 minutes or so was better for Wolves was that Brighton had already taken their foot off the gas at 4-0. Yesterday's performance was on a par with the last seasons Leicester 4-0 defeat. Brighton are a good team but we made them look better than they are.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both of your points are incorrect. He never said that about the Utd game, all he said was it wasn’t ideal and he’d been able to implement some basic stuff, the Utd game wasn’t a week ago and they would of only trained Thursday and Friday this week probably. So all in all they’ve had 5 or 6 days together and are 5 coaches down! Don’t forget we had 8 under the coward and we’ve now got 3 including the manager.
Ok so by that basis Monday and Saturday are a fluke and can pick this up again against Everton when he has had a full week

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes and a similar power struggle probably emerged with Nuno, too. He'd said that we would transform our style, but wasn't given the resources to realistically achieve it.
I still ponder this. If my memory isn’t totally decrepit, Nuno added a lot of defenders, an AM in Vitinha and a young striker. Vitinha hardly got a kick and Silva was a rabbit in headlights. So it didn’t seem to me the plan of a manager looking to change style. Unless, of course, Nuno was just given the players.

Back
Top Bottom