Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gold shorts

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
didn't we use to wear the gold shorts when our black shorts caused a clash of colours in away games.
I imagine that might have been an issue when our games were televised back in the era of black and white TV, but I really doubt it's considered an issue in this day and age that both teams happen to wear black shorts when a game is televised, still less 'live' in the stadium.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could be wrong, (I usually am), but I seem to recall us wearing gold shorts at Portsmouth a few years back. Can't think why as there was no colour clash at all.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could be wrong, (I usually am), but I seem to recall us wearing gold shorts at Portsmouth a few years back. Can't think why as there was no colour clash at all.
I seem to remember seeing us wearing gold shorts on a limited number of occasions in the last ten years. Can't remember exactly when or why though.

Wolf in Wednesbury

Reaction score
Newcastle away with Doc’s injury time winner was all gold I think?

So we agree ... all gold for the win

Someone get in touch with the club ... and quick :D

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like the gold shorts and hope we keep them when required, but traditionally I think its the black shorts for me.

Has there ever been an occasion when we've worn white shorts with the gold top ?
Can't think why for a minute although our second strip was all white many moons ago.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember a Ripping Yarns episode called "Golden Gordon" where a player at the start of a training session complains to the trainer that a teamate has nicked his shorts.

The trainer goes off on one about shorts not being important and that its what's inside that matters (referring to the legs).

To quote the trainer: "I didn't come on a free transfer from Walsall to stand and watch a bunch of morons arguing about shorts"

It's really worth a watch and very funny if I say so myself. :D

Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen us play in gold shirts and RED shorts!

Wow, that's bizarre !

Did the kit man forget to pack them or was it during our nightmare days when we couldn't afford a pot to **** in ?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We haven't really worn gold shorts much in the Adidas era
I think it is because in the championship if two teams shorts clash the away team has to have an alternative. But in the Premier league they don't mind if teams have similar/same coloured shorts.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, that's bizarre !

Did the kit man forget to pack them or was it during our nightmare days when we couldn't afford a pot to **** in ?
Actually we must have had our away shirts on because I remember it was away at Oxford.
We only had the one kit with us and the ref decided the shorts clashed so we had to wear Oxfords away kit shorts!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually we must have had our away shirts on because I remember it was away at Oxford.
We only had the one kit with us and the ref decided the shorts clashed so we had to wear Oxfords away kit shorts!

Don't know if it was the same game, but I do remember on one occasion being in the open "Cuckoo Lane" end and getting absolutely drenched.

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
The black shirt with gold shorts & socks last season was a thing of beauty.

Besiktas away I think it was. Also maybe during the PL Trophy too.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I remember in the late 60s when we went to gold shorts for a few seasons. It was around the same time that Liverpool and Chelsea went to red and blue shorts respectively. Obviously both have stuck with those and I've always liked the Chelsea colours especially with the white socks. The all-gold was quite novel at the time but personally I'm pleased we went back to the black shorts.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember in the late 60s when we went to gold shorts for a few seasons. It was around the same time that Liverpool and Chelsea went to red and blue shorts respectively. Obviously both have stuck with those and I've always liked the Chelsea colours especially with the white socks. The all-gold was quite novel at the time but personally I'm pleased we went back to the black shorts.
I'd forgotten that both Liverpool and Chelsea ha previously worn white shorts so that's an interesting fact.

Back in the late 60's, a Chelsea friend of mine had a blue strip for Christmas (well before replicas came along), and he had his Mum sow a white stripe down the sides of the shorts.

I also remember having yellow shirt, shorts and socks from a local sports outfitters which was the nearest I came to the real thing.
Playing in the outfield I was always "Peter Knowles", and when I went in goal, I wore my black tracksuit top and became "Alan Boswell".

jeb01

Reaction score
Yes. Gold shorts all the way. Great memories of beating Spurs at Wembley and Bully getting four at Newcastle and a hat-trick away at Derby.
Strange to me how many mixers like the gold shorts.
I’ve never liked them, and my recollection is that we’ve never done well wearing them! So there.
I also like the hooped socks. Iconic.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember us wearing sky blue shorts at Derby once. Didn't go well with the old gold shirts.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Wolves Subbuteo team had gold shorts until I went and painted them, so that strip must have been around for a short while at least.

Back
Top Bottom