Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goals - lack of striker or not enough quality chances

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So I would like to know peoples opinions on why we can't score goals?. Is it we don't have enough in quality forwards to keep hitting the net or is the number of quality chances we create not good enough to ensure the goals needed?.

Is it a bit of both?

Is it the style of play? Do we get enough players forward? Is the team to far apart

Interested to hear peoples opinions on it

Here is some data from last year to help the discussion

Goals 31
Shots On Target 126
Shots Off Target 171
Shooting accuracy % 31%
Penalties Taken 3 Penalties Scored 3
Highest assist number 2
Highest number of Chances created 33 (Podence)
Big chances created 28
Top goal scorer 6 (Neves/Podence)

Last edited:
T

TheConcourse

So I would like to know peoples opinions on why we can't score goals?. Is it we don't have enough in quality forwards to keep hitting the net or is the number of quality chances we create not good enough to ensure the goals needed?.

Is it a bit of both?

Here is some data from last year to help the discussion

Goals 31
Shots On Target 126
Shots Off Target 171
Shooting accuracy % 31%
Highest assist number 2
Highest number of Chances created 33 (Podence)
Big chances created 28
Top goal scorer 6 (Neves/Podence)
Intrigued to see data from other clubs of a similar level. How did a Fulham/Brentford stack up?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not enough chances due to:

Striker not holding up ball well enough
Striker not making good runs
Striker not having enough close support. When we had Cunha plus another last season we were at our best
Style of play not being direct enough and attacks take too long to build up.
Poor final ball at key times

It is all of them, but mainly the top 3.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Intrigued to see data from other clubs of a similar level. How did a Fulham/Brentford stack up?

On interesting I will have look

Brentford
Goals 58
Shots On Target 162
Shots total 408
Shooting accuracy % 40
Highest assist number 8
Highest number of Chances created 44
Big chances created 66
Top goal scorer 20

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A mix of lots of things but for me
- not having a fully fit CF last year. Costas legs were gone (he made some great runs but couldn’t quite get on the end of them) and Raul was unfortunately way off pace.
- We don’t play the wide forwards narrow enough to work with a CF so the CF is isolated too much
- bit of an obsession with trying to walk it in (far too often there’s one extra pass rather than someone just shooting when in space)
- JL tried to address this but at times the gap between the defensive midfield and forwards is too deep with no one running into space
- Generally (having to be as we were in a dog fight for a bit) having too much of a defensive mindset.
- Not enough pace defensively to play a high line

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a combination of the two.
I remember a stat from near the end of last season that Wolves had by far the worst " conversion rate" from chances created in the league.
We are a team that hasn't created many chances per game in the last couple of seasons but our forwards ( since Rauls injury) aren't clinical finishers, which is obviously vital when you may only get once chance to put the ball away.
A striker should be the priority and that's where we should be spending the majority of the budget....players like Scott would be a bonus but not at the expense of not having enough in the kitty for a true #9.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been down to a lack of any sort of attacking pattern of play IMV.

If you look at pretty much every other team in the PL over the last few seasons, they have something you can clearly see them working towards when they get the ball, whereas for us those without the ball don't really know where to go or what to do and those on the ball don't know what they're looking for.

Under Nuno we were one of the best examples of having this defined and drilled into the players it was automatic, Neves even used that phrase when talking about our play back then in a recent interview with Jota's runs, Raul's play and what he had to do.

We've ended up becoming solely reliant upon individualism, which is probably why Podence tops a few of the lists, and that's just never going to be enough.

We have forwards who are capable of scoring and creating, as pretty much all of them have shown it previously, they just need to be working in a system.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would also include giving away possession after we win the ball as a reason for our lack of goals.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Set Pieces are a route to goal we have been very poor on the last few seasons (improved the tail end of last season when Neves took corners).
Think back how many goals we scored from set pieces in the Chump season.
Teams like Everton, Brentford and West Ham rely on these - we should place more emphasis on them.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
People in the existing set up not doing what they were supposed to be doing. Semedo ineffective in attack and constantly going backwards, midfielders still on the toes of our defenders leaving too many large gaps between midfield and forwards, forwards having to do the role of midfielders and attackers wandering around not really doing either of those riles effectively meaning they were never in the right place to get on the end of the attack because the midfielders were sat on the half way line, and leaving them in positions of having to try and get through 5 players to get anywhere near a sight on goal, and our main striker, beit raul spending more time by the corner flag or costa just not able to keep up with play. This can all be fixed with proper coaching and players understanding their roles in the team. With neves and moutinho now gone, i am expecting to see less of our midfielders sitting on the defenders toes and actually breaking through the middle to the final third to allow the forwards to do their job of being in and around the box

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The question we should first look at is what aspects we do right in terms of getting the best out of our CF(s).

And the reality is, there isn't a lot. We have very poor delivery from set pieces and in general. Have next to zero support from the midfield in terms of getting into the box or creativity, and lack any striker with serious pace that could compensate for these things.

Really, other than a period of 15 months between 2019-2020, this has always been a problem for us since promotion. And when it wasn't, what we had was an inform Adama Traore who occupied 2-3 opponents, and a player like Jota who always had a goal in him, whilst being able to support Jimenez through the middle and get us up the pitch. We've completely lost that, and it renders any forwards job for us a thankless task, particularly if they're playing as a lone striker.

For me, not signing a CF this Summer actually wouldn't be the end of the world. The most important thing by a country mile is changing the style of play and approach. Until we do that it's almost irrelevant who we bring in.

Last edited:

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
- not having a fully fit CF last year. Costas legs were gone (he made some great runs but couldn’t quite get on the end of them) and Raul was unfortunately way off pace.
- We don’t play the wide forwards narrow enough to work with a CF so the CF is isolated too much
- bit of an obsession with trying to walk it in (far too often there’s one extra pass rather than someone just shooting when in space)
- JL tried to address this but at times the gap between the defensive midfield and forwards is too deep with no one running into space
- Generally (having to be as we were in a dog fight for a bit) having too much of a defensive mindset.
Think that sums up many if not all of our issues, generally.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Problem I have see with our team the past few seasons is they constantly male male wrong decision in the final third and some seemed scared to take responsibility.

Moutinho was a massive culprit of this. When he had the ball in the midfield and the switch was on, its like he did not trust himself and often turned back.

Yes, we have lacked a proper fit striker since Raul's injury. It also seems since then that players have not wanted to take a risk, take responsibility for making the risky pass. Although, Costa's legs had gone he made some intelligent runs off the ball. These were rarely found as we turned back.

Is this coached? Guessing we will see after JLO has had a summer with them.

As a team we seem scared to take the risks that ultimate will lead to the better chances.

Along side this, Podence and Raul have mainly been guilty of this in my opinion being selfish on the ball and going for solo glory when the extra pass was on to set up a team mate for a better opportunity. Forwards, I know are generally selfish beings. This has in a few games especially over the past two seasons cost us points, if not wins.

I am looking forward to seeing what Sasa can do. Providing he stays fit, I believe he will be good foil for Cuhna, Sarabia etc to play off

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not shooting. Or not shooting on target. Or mf not driving forward enough. Not having a fit cf.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simply put , Jimenez and Jota went and . that’s when it became a very serious issue.
So it is goal scorers IMO , not chances .

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simply put , Jimenez and Jota went and . that’s when it became a very serious issue.
So it is goal scorers IMO , not chances .
They were creating a lot of chances for one another though also.. when you look at their stats.

Spurs and Chelsea away spring to mind.. Leicester at home.. but there were many.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good natural goal scorer makes himself available at all times . IMO
That raises the chances created , so chances created is a misnomer If you don’t have a striker making himself available.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen many great strikers play at Wolves .
A lot were not “good footballers “ , they just (as Gary Lineker said) . worked out the geometry .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were creating a lot of chances for one another though also.. when you look at their stats.

Spurs and Chelsea away spring to mind.. Leicester at home.. but there were many.
Yes , they did , partly because a goals scorer understands another goal scorer , what he wants and when he wants it.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care much for statistics, they can be used to tell you whatever you want, but having watched almost every game last season I would say its a lot to do with our approach. It's very negative. We set up to stop teams scoring but, when we get possession back, we are too slow to get it forwards and lack the creativity to open teams up. If we do manage to score we put up shop. The midfield and wingers don't get into the box and our forwards are not that good. You can call it possession football, but it's just slow and predictable. Pretty horrible to watch really.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

All those, plus:

Forwards with no aerial presence. . Not just for goal attempts, but a lot of other goals come from winning the ball in the air, knock down to team mate.

Forwards who are too lightweight all round. Rarely win 50/50s. Can't beat a defender so invariably stop and pass sideways or back. (other than Adama, but see above). Against the good teams, we'd see opponents stroll past our defenders on left, right and centre. We have only Adama who could do that. And he tends to stop and allow defenders to get back anyway.

Might be just rephrasing "defensive mindset", but we just aren't direct enough throughout the team. Many times, breaks were on, yet the player would stop, look up, and dawdle, by which time opponents are back organised. Most goals are *not* scored against organised defences! Unless you are Man City, you have to hit them before they get back.

Overall, I think many of these points are connected and unfortunately feed back and turn into a spiral of the negative football we often see. Why break fast when if you send the ball in the general direction of one of our forwards, he's not going to win it anyway? Why cross when nobody will be on the end of it? Why try and run into space when the midfielder won't have speed of thought to pick you out anyway?

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting rid of Podence should improve that as well.

Was it my imagination, or was Nunes also often giving the ball away cheaply in areas that were even more dangerous than the Podence flicks?

When you can't keep the ball in the other teams half for very long, it does put pressure on your defence.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care much for statistics, they can be used to tell you whatever you want, but having watched almost every game last season I would say its a lot to do with our approach. It's very negative. We set up to stop teams scoring but, when we get possession back, we are too slow to get it forwards and lack the creativity to open teams up. If we do manage to score we put up shop. The midfield and wingers don't get into the box and our forwards are not that good. You can call it possession football, but it's just slow and predictable. Pretty horrible to watch really.
We used to stifle the opposition.. but now we just stifle ourselves.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s probably a bit of both but mainly on a lack of chances created.
Nuno’s tactics worked when we had Jiminez and Jota, who for a while were a top 4 quality strike partnership. Since Jota left and Jiminez horror injury our results have got worse due mainly to a lack of goals. Fortunately I think JL will address this next season.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Neves too deep, poor crosses, midfield nowhere near the forwards, forwards too slow to shot, lack of a way of playing(look how Brighton easily play around teams and create overloads) we were very 1 dimensional, no pass and move, it’s all very negative. 1st half v Leicester away, I thought it had clicked(or they were crap) closing down was good, took the lead, then stupid passes and give away a pen and heads go. Hoping bringing in fresh faces with experience will help some younger ones thrive, not overly confident though as things stand.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A combination of factors resulting in the most impotent attack in the league.

The third goal against Liverpool was due to Neves, a man of many talents but not renowned for pace, bursting into the box.

Conspicuously absent from the box was Raul, who was a million miles away. Ruben made the type of run Raul should have been making.

Turns out that getting into good positions gives you a much better chance to score.

It's a combination of not creating good chances, not getting into good positions, and issues with the strikers. The first isn't helped by the negativity certain players are very fond of, where they'll pass the ball back if an opponent is within a few light years, and I'd be prepared to bet we defend a significant amount of our attacks for our opponent.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
It’s both. We don’t have the quality to finish chances, but as a team we don’t create enough chances in the first place. If you think of last season we didn’t miss too many sitters, really. What we did miss a lot was when good crosses weren’t attacked, or good passes didn’t match the run that was made.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The promotion season is probably the last time we were fairly free scoring. Even with Raul at his best we didn’t score huge amounts, from elsewhere in the team Jota and Doc contributed a fair few and we’ve never really replaced those goals. Until Rauls injury we were scoring enough as we had a decent defence, since then it’s mainly been down to no in form/ fit striker, ( reducing low but ok numbers even more) but Podence/ Neves apart non of the forward players have scored enough

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure how reliable a site this is, but the trend is probably accurate. Wolves' Podence top of our chances created, but even he is around only half of a guy we let go to Forest.

Back
Top Bottom