Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goal Scorers

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw this stat earlier and thought it made for an interesting discussion, based on how many feel how reliant we are on Raul to score. It seems some other teams are similar in having one big source of their goals. Southampton for example have Ings as their big scorer and they have just lost him for a few weeks now to a knee injury. Leicester look a different team without Vardy. Having a back up striker isn't as easy as it seems, when teams have a big main goal scoring striker they will struggle to get a top class back up to sit on the bench. I think Silva will play a part this season, but for now we have him developing behind Raul and not sulking at not starting.

Calvert-Lewin and Jimenez were both listed on 35.6% of their teams goals. I feel lucky we have a striker who is up their with the best scorers in the league.

20201104_142003.jpg

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminds me, Ings being missing for 6 weeks is a big boost for us given that we've got Southampton after Leicester.

Yes, he will probably miss our game, out for 4-6 weeks I read earlier.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost started a thread on Ings being out so thank you for the opportunity to reiterate as that's huge for our upcoming game against them, as they have turned themselves into a rival like Leicester... really is 2 huge games coming up

As for the goals it's an interesting piece and makes you think about where you want/expect the other goals to come from and I have a handful of players you'd be disappointed if they don't go over 5 this season, and I can even see Silva being one of those once he is up to speed and towards the end of the season, plus cup games

I want 5 plus from Neto and Podence, around 5 from Dendonker & Traore and then a handful to chip in from the rest (Neves and the Defence), so as long as Raul gets as many as last season that should be enough for us to be in amongst it!

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I think that if Podence and Neto could start scoring a few (I don't think it needs to be that many) it makes us so much harder to play against. With the style of play we shows against Palace and a serious goal threat right across the front line, then I think we'd be unplayable much of the time.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Soton play 2 strikers _ Ings and Adams. Arsenal have Aubameyang and Lacazette, Utd have Rashford, Greenwood and Martial, Chelsea have Giroud in reserve. City have Aguerro and Jesus. Toon have Wilson and Carroll. Leicester have Ieanacho and Vardy. Thinking about this most sides have 2 strikers?!

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Soton play 2 strikers _ Ings and Adams. Arsenal have Aubameyang and Lacazette, Utd have Rashford, Greenwood and Martial, Chelsea have Giroud in reserve. City have Aguerro and Jesus. Toon have Wilson and Carroll. Leicester have Ieanacho and Vardy. Thinking about this most sides have 2 strikers?!

Rashford and Greenwood play on the wings. As does Aubameyang generally. Adams, Carroll and Iheanacho are awful. Only good one there is Jesus.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rashford and Greenwood play on the wings. As does Aubameyang generally. Adams, Carroll and Iheanacho are awful. Only good one there is Jesus.
Che Adams has been a different player for them this season. Nowhere near a comparison to Carroll and Iheanacho.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The OP is talking about ' a source for goal scoring'. For 3 seasons now we have pretty much relied on Jiminez for goals and to stay injury-free. Whether a forward plays on the wing as you say, such as Aubameyang or Rashford, they both score goals. It's debateable whether we could have got a proven striker who would sit on the bench but going for Silva as the back-up is a massive gamble but with Nuno most of his decisions have paid off!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thanks for beating me to that. City are the ONLY team in the league with a quality back up striker. Adams seems to be improving, but mostly by playing alongside Ings, and Iheanacho has the odd purple patch.

Can't believe someone has just brought up not having a donkey like Carrol hanging around is some kind of slight on our squad depth.
He provides about as much of an option as setting fire to 50-100k a week.

D

Deleted member 11332

Thanks for beating me to that. City are the ONLY team in the league with a quality back up striker. Adams seems to be improving, but mostly by playing alongside Ings, and Iheanacho has the odd purple patch.

Can't believe someone has just brought up not having a donkey like Carrol hanging around is some kind of slight on our squad depth.
He provides about as much of an option as setting fire to 50-100k a week.
I think Jesus is ****. I wouldn't want him here. Stroppy little ****er enall.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could Silva and Raul play together as a front two? I don't expect it to happen, but would it work?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Jesus is ****. I wouldn't want him here. Stroppy little ****er enall.

Fair enough. I think a lot of it is just his face though. Looks permanently on the verge of tears. Like a 3 year old girl/pregnant woman, but punchable.
In a way, he can't be that stroppy though. Certainly accepted his place at City, in a similar vein to Silva hopefully. They paid over £30 million for a teenager with just over a year of Brazillian league football, to be the long term understudy to Aguero.

D

Deleted member 11332

Fair enough. I think a lot of it is just his face though. Looks permanently on the verge of tears. Like a 3 year old girl/pregnant woman, but punchable.

Think you've nailed that. Seriously though he's not very good, considering the game time he gets in that side his goal returns are appalling.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have two central strikers available.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a way, he can't be that stroppy though. Certainly accepted his place at City, in a similar vein to Silva hopefully. They paid over £30 million for a teenager with just over a year of Brazillian league football, to be the long term understudy to Aguero.
You mean someone like Pep paid over £30m for a young striker with no top level experience as a long term understudy and eventual replacement for his top striker? I thought it was supposed to be a complete waste of money doing that?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You mean someone like Pep paid over £30m for a young striker with no top level experience as a long term understudy and eventual replacement for his top striker? I thought it was supposed to be a complete waste of money doing that?
No, only when we do it. When other teams do it the description is astute succession planning.....

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Is this a good place for me to say Raul is going to score 30 goals this season?

Cos Raul is going to score 30 goals this season.
I'm bullish on Raul's goal scoring this season too--30 is a stretch, but doable; I would bet big money on more than 17 that's for sure. He's going to get much better opportunities with that fluid attack in my opinion. So, I'm thinking anywhere from 22 to 26...

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm bullish on Raul's goal scoring this season too--30 is a stretch, but doable; I would bet big money on more than 17 that's for sure. He's going to get much better opportunities with that fluid attack in my opinion. So, I'm thinking anywhere from 22 to 26...
Realistically 22 onwards is what i think, but it doesn't sound as good as 30. So I'll stick with 30.

Back
Top Bottom