Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goal Keeping

Me Babbies

Reaction score
As a self confessed stats nerd, I keep a bit of a tracker running throughout the season.
One of my results is suggesting that our problem is not conceding shots on target, but rather stopping the shots on target.
So far this season we have conceded only 66 shots on goal, the 5th lowest.
But we have conceded 29 goals from those SOT thats nearly 44%.
Only Brighton have a worse record in the Division.

And if i weight it by game to give a form guide (most recent games are worth more than earlier games), we are massively bottom of this stat.

So is it time to Give Rui a rest?

By game Stats (hope these work)
prem 1.PNG

Weighted Table
prem 2.PNG

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle is one, I'm sure there's another one you could level at Patricio but that's about it. About six penalties, deflected shots, shots he has zero chance with, where are they indicated in the stats?

Edit: Spurs, probably should have kept that one out

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a great keeper, and been so, so reliable over the past couple of years. Many goals we concede can't be deemed his fault but there have been a couple of occasions this season where I've started to think he should've done better, or his positioning is just a tiny bit off to start with, meaning he isn't able to get there, etc.

Not sure Ruddy is the answer but think Rui's performances have dipped a little bit.

Newcastle free kick, Chelsea at home, Brighton's first goal at their place immediately spring to mind. While harsh, I reckon Ruddy would've got pelters for the way Albion's second goal looped in with no keeper in sight too.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s been uncharacteristically poor this season. Newcastle goal. Second goal v Albion, first and third goals at Brighton, first goal at Burnley, Tottenham’s goal.
Harsh to say the least. Not sure what he could have done about four of those goals

Albion one, no, it's looped over him into the far corner, had no chance

Brighton, first, no, he either comes for the cross (which he did) or stays on his line, either way Connoly has a tap in from 4 yards thanks to woeful marking. Third, a powerful downward header from 7 yards?? Would have been an absolute worldy of a save

Burnley, no. The header back is deflected by Saiss about a yard ahead of him, nothing he could do. Any save would have been more luck than judgement

Last edited:

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By his own exceptionally high standards he is having an extremely poor season. I’m a massive fan of his and not suggesting he is dropped but really hoping he improves for second half of the season.

Don’t think he has moved off his line in about 6 months.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only issue with Patricio is his tendency to stay on his line for crosses. He never comes out and claims or punches. I'm pretty sure some of the goals we have conceded from crosses could have been avoided if we had a more dominant keeper in those situations.

He is generally excellent in all other areas of the game though.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
My only issue with Patricio is his tendency to stay on his line for crosses. He never comes out and claims or punches. I'm pretty sure some of the goals we have conceded from crosses could have been avoided if we had a more dominant keeper in those situations.

He’s a fantastic goalkeeper, but I do think the goals mentioned above, they don’t go in last season or the one before. Perhaps it’s a lack of crowd to keep him focused and concentrated, maybe it’s getting used to the new defensive unit in front of him. Who knows, but he (like plenty of others) hasn’t been as consistent this season.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I still see Rui as a good shot stopper with a strong pair of hands/ wrists. Nine times out of 10 he pushes the shot away from the danger area or round the posts. Very rarely does he push the ball back into the danger area.

I wish he would be more commanding on crosses and corners to help against those teams that bombard us and keep the pressure on.

I still rate him highly though.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to spoil the party, but I think he has been very average this season. Said this on another thread and was told I was a moron, so the usual suspects can **** off and polish their egos. For me, he doesn't command his area, communicates poorly with the defence, and this season especially has had a worrying tendency to get beaten by shots a really good keeper would keep out. Living on past glories (just like Moutinho, another one it isn't allowed to criticise). I think Ruddy would do a better job for the rest of the season. But we need a new keeper who is an upgrade on both.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, he doesn't command his area, communicates poorly with the defence, and this season especially has had a worrying tendency to get beaten by shots a really good keeper would keep out. Living on past glories (just like Moutinho, another one it isn't allowed to criticise).

He's made a few mistakes this year (as all keepers do occasionally), but before that he'd had 2 fantastic seasons IMO. And I think you're forgetting how many clangers Ruddy made.

It's weird, you seemed to be banging this drum even in previous years when Rui was playing brilliantly. Is it possible you just don't like him for some random reason?

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Nuno, being an ex-goalie obviously hasn't noticed this, so if you all don't mind, I think I'll trust his opinion on Rui vs Ruddy vs A.N.Other

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's made a few mistakes this year (as all keepers do occasionally), but before that he'd had 2 fantastic seasons IMO. And I think you're forgetting how many clangers Ruddy made.

It's weird, you seemed to be banging this drum even in previous years when Rui was playing brilliantly. Is it possible you just don't like him for some random reason?
No reason other than I don't think he has played at all well this season.

D

Deleted member 11332

Love Rui and he's generally quietly efficient in his work. I had a feeling his performances had dropped slightly this season from his ridiculously high standards so this could have merit.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno, being an ex-goalie obviously hasn't noticed this, so if you all don't mind, I think I'll trust his opinion on Rui vs Ruddy vs A.N.Other
Villa's keeper is miles better than either.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This this and this

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I had the same perception but Interestingly enough, Rui is actually 6th for the % of crosses cut out by the goalkeeper (8.2%). The best (Fulham’s GK) is 14.2%

The big issue for me (and maybe why we perceive him to not claim too many) is we have by far the most crosses against us.... 207. Man City are the best at 100. We’ve got to reduce this as it’s putting pressure on the defence and the goalkeeper.

Also, we’ve conceded 6 goals from penalties this season so out of 29 goals that’s 20%. Can’t find stats for deflections but I’d imagine that’s close to another 20%

Last edited:

greenwolf1301

Reaction score
I had the same perception but Interestingly enough, Rui is actually 6th for the % of crosses cut out by the goalkeeper (8.2%). The best (Fulham’s GK) is 14.2%

The big issue for me (and maybe why we perceive him to not claim too many) is we have by far the most crosses against us.... 207. Man City are the best at 100. We’ve got to reduce this as it’s putting pressure on the defence and the goalkeeper

Yeah I think that the crosses make a massive difference because we sit back and do not press quickly out wide, it was covered more when we played 3 at the back because we had more height but with 4 at the back we are more exposed which is one reason why we have let more goals in. This along with deflected shots is not really rui's fault.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a reason Allison and Ederson cost the money they did cos they are probably the best couple of all round keepers in the World. Rui is a fantastic keeper but if he is required to have all the attributes the very best have he wouldnt be at Wolves we wouldnt be able to afford him. Rui saves us many more points than he costs. If I was playing behind our defence this season I'd be a trembling nervous ****ing wreck too.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
Personally, I feel the supporters have grown accustomed to his very high standards of consistency, I don’t think he has dropped-off but when he does let one in folk will often look for ‘why’.... he has been unfortunate with deflections which will always be unfavourable to a keeper when reviewed in slow-mo.

Rui is a very very good keeper, in my view more than a few notches better than Ruddy (who is very solid himself)

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's as if we're analysing every single player to find a reason/or to blame for our poor performances this season. Rui aint it, nor is other player for that matter (as much as I slate Donk, not even he's to blame). It's simply down to experimenting with a new formation, injuries to key players meaning we've not been able to have a settled side, lack of squad depth especially in the forward positions, selling Jota and some poor in-match decisions from Nuno (in no particular order). Once we get everyone back and Nuno finds the right formation, then we'll be some team again (and some).

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

As a self confessed stats nerd, I keep a bit of a tracker running throughout the season.
One of my results is suggesting that our problem is not conceding shots on target, but rather stopping the shots on target.

And if i weight it by game to give a form guide (most recent games are worth more than earlier games), we are massively bottom of this stat.

View attachment 19550

Weighted Table
View attachment 19551
Are you mad? Our hesitant defence is presenting easy shots on target. How many goals do you think Rui has been at fault for?

lies, damn lies and statistics spring to mind.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa's keeper is miles better than either.
It's getting incredibly tedious to see thread after thread where some folk post "Villa's player in this position or that position is better than ours". They are playing well this season and getting results. We aren't playing so well and have key players missing which puts pressure on others. Man for man l still rare most of our players above their Vile counterparts.

D

Deleted member 5962

Rui is one of the best shot stoppers around. Most of the goals that he has let in have been deflections or other errors of our CBs. He has had some howlers, sure, but his errors leading to goals are so uncommon they stick out in the memory, such as the Newcastle game. The one criticism of him is his lack of willingness to come off his line, but this also comes from his own experience, he isnt a big unit like Ruddy, hes an agile shot stopper and seems to prefer to play to that strength.

Anyone saying we should play Ruddy over him needs to go revisit the chump season to see just how many goals Ruddy cost us from some truly shocking keeping. We have gone from threads calling for him to lose his place to Norris in the promotion season to people questioning if he should replace Portugals No. 1? He is not in any way a viable alternative to Rui and any keeper that is as good or better would cost us a hell of a lot of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rui is one of the best shot stoppers around. Most of the goals that he has let in have been deflections or other errors of our CBs. He has had some howlers, sure, but his errors leading to goals are so uncommon they stick out in the memory, such as the Newcastle game. The one criticism of him is his lack of willingness to come off his line, but this also comes from his own experience, he isnt a big unit like Ruddy, hes an agile shot stopper and seems to prefer to play to that strength.

Anyone saying we should play Ruddy over him needs to go revisit the chump season to see just how many goals Ruddy cost us from some truly shocking keeping. We have gone from threads calling for him to lose his place to Norris in the promotion season to people questioning if he should replace Portugals No. 1? He is not in any way a viable alternative to Rui and any keeper that is as good or better would cost us a hell of a lot of money.
I agree your comments about Rui. We've begged to differ over Ruddy before so saying no more...

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 19550

Weighted Table
View attachment 19551

NO!
The goalie is fine , its the central defence that needs upgrading. ( and 2 fullbacks that know how to defend would be an added bonus).

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
We are playing crap granted, but this blame game is annoying and this particular thread is a joke. Next it will be to blame Raul for being careless at corners ffs.
I don't see it as a blame game. Just highlighting how at times all players have marginally underperformed more often than previous. This in turn has led to the situation we have now.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Superb keeper. All this proves is that stats are often garbage
Or the stats prove he's a superb keeper but in poor form?

Yes the stats don't take into account deflected shots, shots he had no chance of saving etc but that's true for all other keepers too. Do all the other keepers not have any deflected or unsaveable shots against them?

The reality is probably somewhere between the two, the stats certainly aren't the be all and end all but he's also in a rut of poor form.

Back
Top Bottom