Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goal celebrations

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Premier League have told clubs when a goal is scored there should be no High 5,s, no handshakes, and no hugs, jesus what are they trying to do to our beutiful game, first we had celebrations put on hold due to VAR, now they can only smile, do a back flip, or do a crazy dance when they score, any other suggestions without having contact with fellow players, maybe they can disallow contact tackling then we would get some really high scoring games.. I really give up on where we are going with this..

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So when Silva pops the last minute winner on Saturday do you think our players wouldn’t jump all over him.

sorry but the emotion of the game players will always do this.
interesting point.when did we start showing emotions?cullis would only allow handshakes after scoring but then doing back flips would have been tiring as we used to score 100 goals a season

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pathetic
If this virus is so contagious they'd surely all catch it in the dressing room from the infected person.
What next.. No tackling?
Maybe look at Big Sam throwing his chewing gum around the pitch

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absurd when tackling each other and I the changing rooms together

such a stupid rule

Yamalritee

Reaction score
Haha when you think it can’t get more ridiculous! Anyone see the Arsenal players on the sideline warming up wearing masks in the OPEN air? Pathetic

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pathetic
If this virus is so contagious they'd surely all catch it in the dressing room from the infected person.
What next.. No tackling?
Maybe look at Big Sam throwing his chewing gum around the pitch
Correct. Stop football all together imo. Villa game canxed again-Ings down with it- multiple 1st and 2nd div games canxed. Office/factory workers cant go around hugging each other? Anyway, the mods will move this soon so aint worth carrying on. :)

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Football shouldn't be happening at the moment. The only reason it's going ahead is because of the lucrative TV contracts... No crowds, no goal celebrations? What's the point? It's not football.

The FA cup has already been devalued yet again this season by teams having to field U23 teams... What's next?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As if 'goal celebrations' will affect us!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Premier League have told clubs when a goal is scored there should be no High 5,s, no handshakes, and no hugs, jesus what are they trying to do to our beutiful game, first we had celebrations put on hold due to VAR, now they can only smile, do a back flip, or do a crazy dance when they score, any other suggestions without having contact with fellow players, maybe they can disallow contact tackling then we would get some really high scoring games.. I really give up on where we are going with this..
Football is in a privileged position by being able to take place at the moment and they are not actually operating in a bubble (unlike the cricket in the summer who all lived in the same hotel for several weeks). The number of cases shows that the disease is spreading amongst footballers. They should therefore set an example and limit their own risk by not spitting, not doing the group celebrations and not doing the in dressing room “parties”.
If they don’t, they will still spread the disease and they do risk being shut down.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps the only good thing with Covid 19 is that we are spared those regular over the top goal celebrations that hurt our eyes before it all.
Celebrate like Alan Shearer or even The Doog used to do...that is the limit.Anything more is just ridiculous and childish.

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They going to clamp down on the spitting and emptying of the noses all over the place too as this is a far more easier way to pass the virus on.?

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But arent they all getting negative tests before playing?

If its not safe to celebrate goals perhaps they should look to pospone the season

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems a fairly decent compromise, saying they tackle and share the same changing room isn't really the same is it? assuming they are socially distancing in the changing room and not going around touching each other and everything!

If anything goal celebrations just give the wrong impression to the watching general public some who have proven can be pretty naïve (stupid)

The fact they are in bubbles and are tested twice a week is a pretty good argument.. although we're currently in bubbles at work and restrictions have suddenly got a hell of a lot tighter compared to first lockdown.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From having almost no possibility of transmitting the virus, to slightly less than almost no possibility of transmitting the virus.

If it isn't safe to play a contact sport then don't play it. If it is then allow contact.

I would support banning Guardiola from spitting every 30 seconds. Not because of covid, just that it annoys me and there's no need for a coach to constantly spit.

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From having almost no possibility of transmitting the virus, to slightly less than almost no possibility of transmitting the virus.

If it isn't safe to play a contact sport then don't play it. If it is then allow contact.

I would support banning Guardiola from spitting every 30 seconds. Not because of covid, just that it annoys me and there's no need for a coach to constantly spit.
Fergie did it every 15 seconds while in the utd dugout.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps the only good thing with Covid 19 is that we are spared those regular over the top goal celebrations that hurt our eyes before it all.
Celebrate like Alan Shearer or even The Doog used to do...that is the limit.Anything more is just ridiculous and childish.

Agree.
I've never understood all that baby rocking and golf swing nonesense, although in fairness I did find the GAZZA dentist chair celebration fitting at the time. Now, it's all about making pretty heart shapes and other bizarre gestures (don't ever remember doing that in the Potteries and District Sunday League).

I think the non celebration went out of the window last weekend when Sheffield United scored that penalty as everyone got involved bar the keeper.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** poor from the league & another example of how those in charge are so out of touch with the game and reality.

Players together/all over each other at set pieces etc.

D

Deleted member 11332

It doesn’t help when everyone can read headlines of footballers breaking protocol, managers backing footballers and shielding them from their stupid actions or even clubs allowing teams to go to Dubai.

Which if they were criticising is valid. Moaning about players who are expected to stand in a defensive wall with each other hugging is absolute stupidity.

It's just a deflection tactic by the government to take away from the disgraceful job they've done.

D

Deleted member 5910

Saying it "sets a good example" not to celebrate is tantamount to saying people are idiots who can't recognise the players do not (and cannot) socially distance during set pieces, or during the game more broadly. People aren't idiots, because they can see this for the bureaucratic nonsense that it is. If the players are going to get Covid from each other, it will be long before one of the sides has scored. The game under Covid has already had much of the passion sucked out of it without absurd arbitrary decisions like this.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The press and politicians, they love making football the scapegoat. This was always going to happen as there had been rumblings in the press and politics recently. Such an easy target.

They train together, they play together so whats any different?

A few players (rightly) have been hauled over the coals for breaching covid rules, do celebrities, film stars, musicians, politicians take as much stick? Absolutely not.

For all the amazing work Rashford has done, there has been plenty of snidey comments from people. I wonder if it had been the same response if it wasnt just another "thick footballer" or if it had been a "nations favourite" like bloody Cliff Richard.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really don't get this, they have negative tests, they share the changing rooms, they tackle, they practically hug each other when going up for a corner, why make a big point out of celebrating a goal?

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this has less to do with actual viral control and more to do with behaviour modelling and setting an example in front of the TV audience. In that, I think the FA has left itself a exposed as missing the point.

These players train together, tackle each other, crowd together at corners, etc. As we have seen, when one player catches the virus, chances are a lot of them will get it too. We've seen many teams postpone games because of this. I am very doubtful that the vector for this infection was a goal celebration, or a singalong in the changing room.

If the FA are serious about professional football not being a further vector for infection, they need to stop it. That's not an easy decision to take, there is perhaps an argument that the distraction and entertainment provides the general public (although perhaps not in Wolverhampton...) outweighs the infection risks of a relatively small group of people working closely together. Alternatively, you could take the view that football is not essential; permitting it causes moral quandaries as everyone else is locked down, and it perhaps it seems a little hypocritical.

As I say, that's difficult terrain to negotiate, and I'm glad I'm not the one doing it. But to suggest that goal celebrations have anything to do with this debate is incredibly intellectual disingenuous.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is absurdity. You either say you can go close to each other for 90 minutes and take the mitigations needed or decide the risks isn't worth it. The hugging is gonna be no worse than corners. Whether Doreen from Hemel Hempstead gets upset because she hasn't hugged her granddaughter in 9 months and can't hold a dinner party anymore but those horrible footballers can all run around hugging each other is completely irrelevant

Is rugby still going? Heads up each others ********s okay but hi fives aren't?

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The press and politicians, they love making football the scapegoat. This was always going to happen as there had been rumblings in the press and politics recently. Such an easy target.

They train together, they play together so whats any different?

A few players (rightly) have been hauled over the coals for breaching covid rules, do celebrities, film stars, musicians, politicians take as much stick? Absolutely not.

For all the amazing work Rashford has done, there has been plenty of snidey comments from people. I wonder if it had been the same response if it wasnt just another "thick footballer" or if it had been a "nations favourite" like bloody Cliff Richard.
I think Cliff Richard has got his stick..so to say..to last a lifetime.
He was in the fake news a phedophile..turns out he wasn´t another Jimmy Saville in any shape or form.
After that,Cliff deserves all the respect he can get.

Back
Top Bottom