Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gingerism in Wolverhampton

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Either Black Country black sense of humour whizzed over the red-head's red head or financial advisor genuinely felt ginger hair was an affliction that you'd be glad not to have passed on to your child.

Wonder how they worked out the £150 as compensation?

50pencehead

Either Black Country black sense of humour whizzed over the red-head's red head or financial advisor genuinely felt ginger hair was an affliction that you'd be glad not to have passed on to your child.

Wonder how they worked out the £150 as compensation?

Costs £150 for a decent hair colouring ?

A

Apocalypse Now

I think thats how much it would cost to "go blonde".

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always found red head women attractive, especially when you discovered it was genuine.

J

Jungleee

Why do Wolves have such a high % of ginger fans? Anyone else noticed this on a matchday?

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gingers will kick $$$$ out of anyone. Trust me I know :)

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
So it's not okay to say "bet you're glad here not as black as you" but it is okay to say "bet you're glad they're not as ginger as you"

Red hair is a trait of he Celtic race just like black skin is of Africans.

Yet it's okay to be racist against the celts eh!

Really and I mean really $$$$s me off these double standards.

Sent from my brain using some software or other...

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Red headed people , are thought to be beautiful in most countries of the world.In England .Its a very English thing to belittle people with red hair.Red heads are often associated with the Celtic nations Scotland ,Ireland and Wales.The dislike for red heads in England must have something to do with the many centuries of downtreading and colonising of our nearest neighbours.

These are racist comments.If these things were said against any other ethnic community there would be uproar.Just because red heads dont often complain about it ,doesnt make it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cooper_J

Nevermind the hair colour, the bank clerk should have been more pleased about her child not inheriting that miserable looking face.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
Red headed people , are thought to be beautiful in most countries of the world.In England .Its a very English thing to belittle people with red hair.Red heads are often associated with the Celtic nations Scotland ,Ireland and Wales.The dislike for red heads in England must have something to do with the many centuries of downtreading and colonising of our nearest neighbours.

These are racist comments.If these things were said against any other ethnic community there would be uproar.Just because red heads dont often complain about it ,doesnt make it right.

How on earth does having ginger hair make you belong to an ethnic community?

If you're celtic then you don't necessarily have ginger hair, if you're ginger then you're not necessarily celtic.

That's like saying all blondes are Vikings.

The simple fact is, the bank clerk was rude, nothing more, she wasn't racist, she wasn't discriminatory, just plain rude.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with LL, there's a tendency to call things racist when basic rudeness is the cause. All this does is to dilute the use of the term when it really is appropriate.

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with LL, there's a tendency to call things racist when basic rudeness is the cause. All this does is to dilute the use of the term when it really is appropriate.

Well , a very small percentage of the worlds population have red hair.The vast majority come from the British isles and part of scandinavia.If you saw someone with red hair you know he doesnt come from africa , india china , other parts of asia, south america or most of europe.

40% OF IRISH PEOPLE AND 30% OF SCOTTISH PEOPLE CARRY THE RED HAIR GENE.

You could say pakistan isnt a race.but if you made a rude comment against them , about their hair or skin ,id hope that would be classed as racist.I would hope the mods pulled the people up who made fun or belittled them.

Red hair is an easy target.To belittle someone because of their hair colour is pathetic.They used to call black people names because they had curly hair,thankfully that has stopped .Because that was seen as racism.Well the same holds for people with red hair.There is no difference.Just that they are a silent minority.An easy target.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
My own personal standard would be that you shouldn't mock or treat differently because of a physical trait someone was born with. Thats would include race and gender, but hair colour would also come into it.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A

Apocalypse Now

Eh? I don't work for Halifax??

What I will say is that the paper must be pretty stuffed for news if they are reporting this. Also she's accepted the money so the complaint is closed so why she's harping on still is beyond me.

Just know you work for a bank, Halifax is (or was) a bank, 2+2=5.

D

Dewsburywolf

My own personal standard would be that you shouldn't mock or treat differently because of a physical trait someone was born with. Thats would include race and gender, but hair colour would also come into it.

How about bespectacled people? Thin/fat people?

A

Apocalypse Now

So fat buggers are fair game then......oh no, they all have thyroid problems.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
Well , a very small percentage of the worlds population have red hair.The vast majority come from the British isles and part of scandinavia.If you saw someone with red hair you know he doesnt come from africa , india china , other parts of asia, south america or most of europe.

So there are no ginger haired south Africans? No ginger haired Argentinians?

40% OF IRISH PEOPLE AND 30% OF SCOTTISH PEOPLE CARRY THE RED HAIR GENE.

So, less than half the population of those countries, and carrying the gene doesn't mean you have ginger hair. My son carries the gene but is as dark as dark could be.

You could say pakistan isnt a race.but if you made a rude comment against them , about their hair or skin ,id hope that would be classed as racist.I would hope the mods pulled the people up who made fun or belittled them.

Pakistan isn't a race, it's a country.

Red hair is an easy target.To belittle someone because of their hair colour is pathetic.They used to call black people names because they had curly hair,thankfully that has stopped .Because that was seen as racism.Well the same holds for people with red hair.There is no difference.Just that they are a silent minority.An easy target.

They used to call black people names because they were black. Red hair is not a race. I agree discriminating against people for any physical reason is wrong, but it is not racist!!!

P

PeteWolf

Apparently ginger people are more prone to deafness.

They also need more anaesthesia to put them to sleep and in a psychic study were proved to have 14% more intuition than the base level.

Greek mythology suggests they are evil and most European cultures throughout history have believed that they are witches.

The Egyptians believed they were so unlucky that they used to hold ginger burning ceremonies and in Italy, up until the 18th century it was illegal to marry a ginger.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently ginger people are more prone to deafness.

They also need more anaesthesia to put them to sleep and in a psychic study were proved to have 14% more intuition than the base level.

Greek mythology suggests they are evil and most European cultures throughout history have believed that they are witches.

The Egyptians believed they were so unlucky that they used to hold ginger burning ceremonies and in Italy, up until the 18th century it was illegal to marry a ginger.

No wonder you don't like The Irish loike.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this a recent phenomenon? I don't remember gingers being picked on when I was in UK. I don't see any discrimination like that here either.

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree.So. beat a redhead day, should be treated the same as beat a pakistani day.Can you imagine the uproar.If neither are races.Why is it you can say something so wrong about are Scotish and Irish neighbours, but it is seen fit for openly be at the least nasty to someone with red hair.

Irish and Scottish people ,like i said ,have the highest percentage of redheads in the world.40% of Irish and 30% of scottish people carry the redhead gene.These people are Celtic.Celtic is an ethnic group.So ,what do you call people who ridicule an ethnic minority?

Ill leave that for the forum and moderators to think about.

blaenboy

Reaction score
As father of two very good looking red-heads (unbiased view), I actually don't like the use of "ginger", which is a shade of red and is generally used in a perjorative way. The percentage of red-heads is actually higher in Scotland than Ireland, but in both cases is not particularly high (from recollection I think it was 13 and 10% respectively, though even this figure looks a little high to me).
As GoldenHorseshoe says, I do not recall red-heads being picked on when I was at school in UK, but I have read that the anti-"ginger" thing dates back originally to anti-Irish sentiment during an earlier wave of immigration. More recently it seems to me to have been fanned for a bit of "fun" by (ironically enough) the "red-top" newspapers. Personally I find it incomprehensible and distasteful; it is not funny and is not unlike the sort of sneering or joking one sometimes gets at people with physical or mental disability, which is seriously reflective on the personality of the person doing doing the sneering.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree.So. beat a redhead day, should be treated the same as beat a pakistani day.Can you imagine the uproar.If neither are races.Why is it you can say something so wrong about are Scotish and Irish neigbours, but it is seen fit for openly be at the least nasty to someone with red hair.

That post was removed early this morning, but you have now chosen to repeat the idea.

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As father of two very good looking red-heads (unbiased view), I actually don't like the use of "ginger", which is a shade of red and is generally used in a perjorative way. The percentage of red-heads is actually higher in Scotland than Ireland, but in both cases is not particularly high (from recollection I think it was 13 and 10% respectively, though even this figure looks a little high to me).
As GoldenHorseshoe says, I do not recall red-heads being picked on when I was at school in UK, but I have read that the anti-"ginger" thing dates back originally to anti-Irish sentiment during an earlier wave of immigration. More recently it seems to me to have been fanned for a bit of "fun" by (ironically enough) the "red-top" newspapers. Personally I find it incomprehensible and distasteful; it is not funny and is not unlike the sort of sneering or joking one sometimes gets at people with physical or mental disability, which is seriously reflective on the personality of the person doing doing the sneering.

Blaenboy thats a good post.There is a difference between having red hair and carrying the genes.In both cases Ireland and scotland have by far highest percentage of redheads in the world.

thehistorymakers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That post was removed early this morning, but you have now chosen to repeat the idea.

There is a big difference about putting that post on here and me bringing to attentiion what would have happened if that was put. on this forum about any other group of people.

Anyway, thanks for moving it.

Reading one of petewolfs posts about the nhs.I feel the bloke has been through enough in the last few years.He seems a decent bloke.Im sure he didnt mean any malice.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
There is a big difference about putting that post on here and me bringing to attentiion what would have happened if that was put. on this forum about any other group of people.

And once it has been removed, its a good idea not to bring discussion of it back onto the forum.

Back
Top Bottom